• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino need help in the next 20 hours to get to Madrid by Saturday night

WldWil

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 SJPDP - Halfway
2016 Fromista - The other half
I have a lot to share, but have very limited wifi and low battery. Tomorrow is my last day walking. I should make it to Itero de la Vega 14.3 K before Fromista.

I need a strategy to get to Madrid Saturday night for early Sunday morning flight.

I truly appreciate this forum and how you can count on the people here.

Hotel recommendation in Madrid is highly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
on the road bridge you have to cross just before you enter Itero de la VEGA proper...the bridge is one way and traffic light controlled. you could wait for a Female car driver and hitch to Fromista . this side of the bridge while cars wait for lights to change.....or a taxi

If the info on the web of Autobuses Amaya is updated (i.e.: if they keep having the early morning Saturday bus from Castrojeriz to Burgos as they had last year), I would consider the option of stopping walking in Castrojeriz and taking that Saturday morning bus to Burgos (note for other people reading this post: the Saturday bus is seasonal and ends on Sept. 30th). Once in Burgos, there are plenty of buses and trains to Madrid and you shouldn't have problems to find one.

Autobuses Amaya schedule from Castrojeriz to Burgos: http://autobusesamaya.com/las-rutas/castrojeriz If you want to confirm the schedule directly with them, take a look at http://autobusesamaya.com/donde-estamos for email and phone contacts.

For buses from Burgos to Madrid, take a look at the web of Alsa: www.alsa.es/en

For trains from Burgos to Madrid, take a look at the web of RENFE: www.renfe.com

I would disregard the option of going via Frómista because I'm not fully sure if it would work on the OP travel date and, even if it worked, it would be a bigger nightmare. Firstly you would need to reach Frómista from Itero de la Vega (walking, taxi...). Once in Frómista, there aren't trains out of Frómista on your travel date (see below). It might be buses from Frómista to Palencia but the web of Linecar (the bus company making the route from Frómista to Palencia) is so poor that doesn't offer schedule info about all their routes but just about some of them and, sadly, the route from Frómista to Palencia is one of the routes without online schedule on their web. You might ask someone if they can call Linecar (or call yourself if your Spanish is good enough) and ask about Saturday's schedule out of Frómista (to Palencia) to know if they have buses running on Saturdays (or if they don't have them) and, if they had them, whether their schedule suits you (or not). www.linecar.es (click on Oficinas y Estaciones on the left menu to get their number in Palencia). Don't forget to check the arrival time to Palencia because the last bus from Palencia to Madrid departs at 19:30. Take a look at the web of Alsa for buses from Palencia to Madrid. Train would be another option from Palencia to Madrid but due to the works I quote later, most trains involve a change to a bus during part of the route (returning to the train later) so bus would be a better option (less hassle) on your travel date (and the last train departs earlier than the last bus to Madrid)... although, as I said above, I would disregard the option of going via Frómista if the Saturday bus from Castrojeriz to Burgos is running on your travel date.

There are trains from Fromista, but there is no service on Saturday and Sunday.

There's service on Saturdays and Sundays. The problem is that there isn't service on the specific Saturday the OP is travelling due to engineering works on the tracks near Valladolid. But if anyone else is reading the thread and needs a Saturday train out of Frómista, it should be one (well, in fact, two)... unless you happen to need to travel on a strike day or, as the OP, on a day where engineering works are being made on the tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am 10k from castrojeriz. Is 8 in morning the only bus?

I am 10k from castrojeriz. Is 8 in morning the only bus?

Yes, the only bus from Castrojeriz to Burgos is roughly at 8 in the morning. I say roughly because Castrojeriz is just a stop along the route of the bus so the schedule is aproximate; depending on traffic, bus might arrive (and depart) earlier or later so, if you plan to take that bus, stay ahead of time (i.e.: earlier than 8:00 a.m.) to be on the safe side. However, you might have a better alternative (see below).

There is a bus connecting Itero de la Vega and Palencia (twice a day, also on saturday). From Palencia take the AEV-train (high speed) to madrid.

I forgot about that bus line. It would be a good idea to confirm the schedule calling at the bus company (phone number available at the link provided by petervinzenz as well as at www.autocaresjg.es/Contacto.htm) because the schedule on the link provided by petervinzenz doesn't match the schedule on the web of the bus Company (www.autocaresjg.es/Linea_Melgar.htm) and I don't know which one, if any, is updated. If there's a bus from Itero de la Vega to Palencia running on Saturdays (and arriving to Palencia before 19:30), that would be your best option. Note: Itero de la Vega is also just a stop along the bus route so stay earlier than the scheduled departure time to be on the safe side.

In order to go from Palencia to Madrid, I would usually take a train but due to the engineering works on your travel date, it'll be more hassle than taking the bus (because part of the route is made by bus due to the Works so you have to take the train, go by train till Cabezón de Pisuerga, get out of the train, take a bus, go by bus till Valladolid, get out of the bus and take the train again from Valladolid to Madrid). By train, you would arrive to Chamartín station while by bus you can choose whether to go to Moncloa intercambiador or to Estación Sur de Autobuses (aka Méndez Álvaro). Moncloa is closer to the city center than Estación Sur but has worse connections with the airport (unless you are willing to pay the 30 Euros taxi fare, i.e.).

Accommodation close to Atocha station might be a good option. Atocha is easy to reach from Estación Sur de autobuses (take a cercanías train) and from Chamartín train station (take a cercanías train too -it'll be free of charge if you arrive to Madrid by Alvia train but you need to get your free ticket either at the cercanías ticket desk-s- (on the left of the ticket desks row) or at any of the self-service machines-). If you don't plan to visit Madrid itself and arrive by train to Chamartín, look for accommodation close to Chamartín station and take next day the train from Chamartín to the airport (Terminal 4).

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi. JennyH and I (David) are doing first aid in Castrojeriz right now. We can pick you up and drive you to Burgos if that would help. Tonight or tomorrow morning phone my UK number +44 790 884 2525 or leave message here where you are and when to collect and name to ask for you
Buen Camino

Hi. JennyH and I (David) are doing first aid in Castrojeriz right now. We can pick you up and drive you to Burgos if that would help. Tonight or tomorrow morning phone my UK number +44 790 884 2525 or leave message here where you are and when to collect and name to ask for you
Buen Camino

Lest we start to give up hope, here is more evidence that Camino angels abound!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I was in Boadilla del Camino when Eduardo arranged a convoy to take six foreign teachers working in Madrid to Palencia because there was no train service that day from Fromista! Eduardo is an angel at a fixed location for those who need help!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I really appreciate the help. I got there 20 minutes early, was standing by the pickup hut when 30 minutes later it went whizzing by! I hiked back to town and got a 60e taxi to the bus station in Burgos. From there I was on a non stop to Madrid for 18e.

I figure the t4 terminal would be best because from there I could get a shuttle to hotel that would then be able to shuttle me back when I was ready to fly out.

There's a major conference is going on in Madrid the first five hotels I check were booked. The 6th was 220e.

A trio arise from France and I loaned my Spanish phone to call the hotel for pickup. There was a cancelation and I got in. No shuttle on Sunday it turns out anyway. But I am here.

I went to Plaza Mayor until midnight with them like a sub family from the Camino.

Thanks for all the input. It gives comfort knowing this.

Glad you are sorted. We had a pilgrim with a poisoned blister covered with compeed, the ankle was already swollen and she had blood poisoning. She thought her weakness was due to the sun. The moment I looked at the ankle I told her it was doctor time. Tricky on a Friday late afternoon. Found a mini hospital some miles away. They cleaned and dressed the wound, instantly gave her antiobiotic powder, followed by a prescription for serious antibiotics and told her her walking was over, no rest for few days and start again. We were told to watch her and if she declined to take her to a hospital straight away.
Antibiotics kicked in next day and she was well enough to go home to Sweden so we drove her to Pamplona railway station and saw her off - we are waiting for her to confirm that she arrived home safely.

So glad that you were sorted as we were 150 miles or so to the east the next day.
We are now at the big refugio over the bridge at the end of town at Punete La Reina, should anyone out there need help.

As a note, I have been moving away from compeed as I am concerned with infection sealed into it with almost no way of removing it - we now use 'sticky all round' fabric plasters with more cushioning on top. I don't think I will use compeeds again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Glad you are sorted. We had a pilgrim with a poisoned blister covered with compeed, the ankle was already swollen and she had blood poisoning. She thought her weakness was due to the sun. The moment I looked at the ankle I told her it was doctor time. Tricky on a Friday late afternoon. Found a mini hospital some miles away. They cleaned and dressed the wound, instantly gave her antiobiotic powder, followed by a prescription for serious antibiotics and told her her walking was over, no rest for few days and start again. We were told to watch her and if she declined to take her to a hospital straight away.
Antibiotics kicked in next day and she was well enough to go home to Sweden so we drove her to Pamplona railway station and saw her off - we are waiting for her to confirm that she arrived home safely.

So glad that you were sorted as we were 150 miles or so to the east the next day.
We are now at the big refugio over the bridge at the end of town at Punete La Reina, should anyone out there need help.

As a note, I have been moving away from compeed as I am concerned with infection sealed into it with almost no way of removing it - we now use 'sticky all round' fabric plasters with more cushioning on top. I don't think I will use compeeds again.

David
Good your doing all this..& a result for Wldwil.., maybe the lady from Sweden will return another time

At last a man who knows what he is talking about when it comes to compeeds..I did a ski patrol first aid course as part and parcel of a ML(mountain leader course winter skills). you have to put in years on the mountain anyway to attend this course (the winter ML I mean)..we all agreed compeeds are yesterday ..finally :D

I appreciate your efforts on the ground.

I really appreciate the help. I got there 20 minutes early, was standing by the pickup hut when 30 minutes later it went whizzing by! I hiked back to town and got a 60e taxi to the bus station in Burgos. From there I was on a non stop to Madrid for 18e.

I figure the t4 terminal would be best because from there I could get a shuttle to hotel that would then be able to shuttle me back when I was ready to fly out.

There's a major conference is going on in Madrid the first five hotels I check were booked. The 6th was 220e.

A trio arise from France and I loaned my Spanish phone to call the hotel for pickup. There was a cancelation and I got in. No shuttle on Sunday it turns out anyway. But I am here.

I went to Plaza Mayor until midnight with them like a sub family from the Camino.

Thanks for all the input. It gives comfort knowing this.

All's well that ends well :p

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back