• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need help planning for Camino from St Jean Pied de Port

Angelus

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi pilgrims
I am plan to walk the camino starting from st jean de pied, france after serving in Lourdes.2 of us.not experience. Just hv desire to do the walk. Plan start on 04.06.23.Any advise greatly appreciated. . I've few questions if anyone can help
1. Heard have van we can rent to put our luggage while we are walking.How we rent this van? About how much? The van will waiting in next stop point? 2. Can we sleep in church at night? How to? Or any motel along the way? Can just walk in? Roughly about how much? We plan for the 800km. 3. Where to get the passport to stamp to complete the journey? Thank you. Really appreciate any advise & help. God bless

3. Where or how to get the passport to collect stamps from each stop so we can complete the journey

[Moderator note: Personal email address removed.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
1. To use luggage transport you usually need to have a booking for accommodation and they deliver the bags to your albergue or hotel. The cost is something like €5-7 per day, but if you book your whole journey in advance (usually you can update stops as you go) it might be cheaper.
2. Usually you can't sleep in churches. There are albergues which have dormitories with bunkbeds. You can usually pay between €10 and €20 per bunk per night. You can just walk in. Many towns have more than one place, so if the first is full you can find another place.
3. There is a pilgrim welcome office in St Jean. They will sell you the pilgrim passport (credential) and give you a list of places to stay.

1. To use luggage transport you usually need to have a booking for accommodation and they deliver the bags to your albergue or hotel. The cost is something like €5-7 per day, but if you book your whole journey in advance (usually you can update stops as you go) it might be cheaper.
2. Usually you can't sleep in churches. There are albergues which have dormitories with bunkbeds. You can usually pay between €10 and €20 per bunk per night. You can just walk in. Many towns have more than one place, so if the first is full you can find another place.
3. There is a pilgrim welcome office in St Jean. They will sell you the pilgrim passport (credential) and give you a list of places to stay.
Thank you so much. How i can book this luggage transport?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You should go to the Pilgrim Office in SJPP (St Jean) to get the credencial or "pilgrim passport." You need this in order to stay in the pilgrim albergues along the route.

In the Pilgrim Office, you will be able to get answers to all of these questions.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You should go to the Pilgrim Office in SJPP (St Jean) to get the credencial or "pilgrim passport." You need this in order to stay in the pilgrim albergues along the route.

In the Pilgrim Office, you will be able to get answers to all of these questions.
Thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Read this forum as much as you can, and most of your questions will be answered. The forum is divided into many sub-forums such as gear and transportation. In addition there are many "tag topics" such as luggage transport/storage, bed bugs, and clothing. You can find all of the tag topics here.

Read this forum as much as you can, and most of your questions will be answered. The forum is divided into many sub-forums such as gear and transportation. In addition there are many "tag topics" such as luggage transport/storage, bed bugs, and clothing. You can find all of the tag topics here.
Thank you

Hi Anelus!
To help you find places to sleep along the Camino use this website Gronze ;it is an excellent resource! ( it's in Spanish but the Google chrome web browser will automatically translate it to English)
It shows you the whole route of the Frances: distance between towns and villages, what accommodation types are available in each place close to the Camino with some Pilgrim reviews and contact details.
Booking.com is also a useful tool
One advantage is you can book with a free cancellation option;usually up to a couple of days before you intend to stay there without losing money if something happens and your plan changes!!
It might be advisable to book the first few nights to Pamplona; as i was advised to do until you get some idea of how busy the Camino is.
Hope this is helpful.
Buen Camino
Woody
You can get a Pilgrim credential/passport at the Pilgrim Office in Saint Jean Pied de Port 39 Rue de la Citadelle

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi pilgrims
I am plan to walk the camino starting from st jean de pied, france after serving in Lourdes.2 of us.not experience. Just hv desire to do the walk. Plan start on 04.06.23.Any advise greatly appreciated. . I've few questions if anyone can help
1. Heard have van we can rent to put our luggage while we are walking.How we rent this van? About how much? The van will waiting in next stop point? 2. Can we sleep in church at night? How to? Or any motel along the way? Can just walk in? Roughly about how much? We plan for the 800km. 3. Where to get the passport to stamp to complete the journey? Thank you. Really appreciate any advise & help. God bless

3. Where or how to get the passport to collect stamps from each stop so we can complete the journey

[Moderator note: Personal email address removed.]
You do have enough time to prepare. As others have said; all the answers are on here and a combination of the ‘tags’ and the search function will be very helpful.

Might I recommend a slightly old-fashioned approach: buy a guidebook and read it. A selection are listed on Ivar’s shop (at a discount currently) and there’s always Amazon or - if you’re lucky enough to be near one - a real book-shop.

Not much planning is needed, but of course it can be fun and can help to reassure yourself that everything is going to be fine, also.

Walking the Camino Francés is not that complicated, thankfully :)

If you like to read in the evening, it's good to have a good old fashioned guide book. You can order that online before or buy in St. Jean.

But basically all you need is a comfortable backpack with one change of of clothes apart from the one you wear, some sort of rain gear (many use ponchos), a lightweight sleeping bag, hygiene kit (toothbrush+paste, soap, lightweight tiny towel (for example a dish towel or a microfiber one is enough), comfortable shoes, and a set of shoes to relax in the evening (sandals, flip-flops or similar). And a basic first aid kit. Maybe a hat (sun protection).

If you pack light, you might realize you don't even need the luggage service or at least not every day. Extra luggage you have from your stay in Lourdes can be sent to Santiago and be stored there until you arrive.

In the pilgrim's office in St. Jean you will get a list of the accommodation and also a sheet with the etappes/ elevation gain. That's basically all you need. Then just follows the signs (or other pilgrims) and that's it.

When you want to stop, walk into an albergue and ask for beds. Or call them midday to ask if they have beds and make a reservation, whatever you prefer. If a place is full, simply ask at another.

Then shower, wash clothes, eat, sleep, repeat.

And before you know it you're in Santiago :)

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back