• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need Help: Translate Message from Burgos Municipal Albergue

Sheesh

Time of past OR future Camino
2009, 2013, 2022
My knowledge of Spanish is still in its novitiate. So, with the aid of Google translate, I sent an email to the municipal albergue association in Burgos to inquire (or so I thought :roll: ) if I could stay there the night before my walk begins. I received a response that I’m having difficulty interpreting. It seems to have mixed messages. I’m hoping those who are fluent in Spanish can help me out here with gleaning what the response means. Thanks.

This is my inquiry email:
Hola. Voy a empezar mi Camino en Burgos a mediados de mayo. ¿Es
posible permanecer en el albergue la noche antes de mi caminata
comienza? Gracias.

This is the response
:
Estimada peregrina, no es posible hacer a tan largo plazo una previsión de
alojamiento en nuestro albergue. Como sabrá las plazas se dan a los
peregrinos por riguroso orden de llegada y, según el grado de ocupación
(siempre a criterio del hospitalero), tienen prioridad los que han andado
ese día, cosa razonable por ser los que llegan cansados.

Por todo ello nos es imposible decirle con seguridad si tendrá o no
alojamiento. No obstante, en caso de haber disponibilidad estaremos
encantados de contar con su presencia en nuestras instalaciones.

Cordiales saludos

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Sheesh,

Here is a rough translation

Dear Pilgrim,
It's not possible to make arrangements so far in advance. As you probably know, places in the albergue are given out according to the strict order in which the pilgrims arrive. Depending on the hospitalero's judgment and how crowded the albergue is, priority will be given to those who have walked that day. That's reasonable because they will be more tired.

So because of all that, it's impossible to tell you whether or not you will get a place in our albergue. If there is space, though, we will be delighted to serve you.

Best wishes.

My Spanish is at best survival level, but I can transliterate this for you ... What it says is that they cannot guarantee you a bed ( you cannot book a bed in advance) because beds are provided on a first come, first served basis. A rule that applies to all municipal, parochial and even some private Albergues.

However, that does not exclude you from a bed. If you are starting from Burgos the only requirements to entitle you to a bed ( other than availability ) are that you are a pilgrim ( you intend, insha'Alla, to complete the pilgrimage to Santiago) and that you have a Credential that declares this. (Credentials are obtainable from the Albergue at Burgos as it is a common starting point for many pilgrims).

If your comfort is dependent on a guaranteed bed in Burgos on the night before you commence your journey there are many options open to you including a wide variety of hotels and hostales where you could pre-book a room but, unless you are planning to walk peak season and are arriving in Burgos late in the day, relax; there will be a bed for you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sheesh, just get there early and wait.
They won't take a reservation, but if you're there in time, they'll take you as long as you have a credential.
Most albergues let you stay if you are beginning your journey in their village.
It shouldn't be a problem.

I believe it opens at 12-12-30-there is always people waiting,it has something like 5 or 6 floors and they slowly take people up in the lift 2 at a time it seems to take forever but there is loads of beds and many people start there.
Ian

Anniesantiago said:
Sheesh, just get there early and wait....
Yes, that's what I first thought of doing Annie. But after receiving the email and now with Laurie's translation (txs Laurie) verifying for me what I thought it said,

"Depending on the hospitalero's judgment and how crowded the albergue is, priority will be given to those who have walked that day...."

.... I'm not so sure.

Burgos is an expensive city for non-Albergue accommodation. And although, due to a late arrival, I have a hotel lined up for my first night there, I wanted to save the second night's expense. Also I would have liked to experience this new(ish) Albergue.

But it seems now that even if I joined the queue for the noon opening, I might have to wait all day for other pilgrims to arrive and be admitted, only to be denied a bed eventually at the call of the hospitalero.

Sheesh

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am 99% certain that you won't have any problem getting a bed in May. The albergue is huge, and they probably will fill only the first couple of floors in May.

There are another 16 beds a long block away here:
Los Albergues: Albergue Divina Pastora
Dirección: C/ Lain Calvo, 10
Localidad: Burgos
Teléfono de contacto: 947 20 79 52
Propiedad del albergue: Asociación de Comerciantes e Industriales de Burgos
Institución o administración encargada de los costes de mantenimiento: Asociación de Comerciantes e Industriales de Burgos
Persona encargada de atender el albergue: Voluntarios
Observaciones: En el siglo XV fue hospital de peregrinos de Santiago y Santa Catalina. Hay misa diaria en la capilla.

If you get there early, I'd say it's a very safe bet you'll have a bed. They won't make you wait around to see if they fill up, I'm sure. And once you're in, they won't kick you out. Don't sweat it! Buen camino!

Divina Pastora is a great place, but they definitely will NOT let you stay unless you walked that day. I don´t think you will have any problems staying at the municipal. Don´t worry!
Reb.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
falcon269 said:
I am 99% certain that you won't have any problem getting a bed in May. The albergue is huge, and they probably will fill only the first couple of floors in May.

I was there in May once and it was completo. I got one of the last beds at at 15.30.
So arrive early and hope for the best.
If you want to be sure and don´t want to worry why not book a room.
You should be able to find a room for €30.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back