• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need help with change in plans

Sedona2012

Bobbie Surber
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances st Jean to Santiago (Sept/Oct 2012) Finisterre Oct 2012
Part -Portugues (Oct. 2012)
Camino del Norte June-July 2013
Part of Camino Vezelay July 2013
Leon to Santiago October 2015
I started my walk in St. Jean on the 19th and will unexpected will meet a friend from the USA. She only has 10 days and I have decided to skip ahead and go to Santiago with her then after my friend leaves Santiago I will return to Burgos and walk the Meseta as I want to experience this and do not return home unroll Nov 1st.

My question is where would you veterans of the Camino advise that we start from with only 10 walking days?

For those of you yet to start your Camino I would like to share that it has been more magnificent than in my dreams. Stay in the smaller villages and if you are able take your time, lift your head up and enjoy every moment.

Thanks!

Bobbie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sedona2012 said:
I started my walk in St. Jean on the 19th and will unexpected will meet a friend from the USA. She only has 10 days and I have decided to skip ahead and go to Santiago with her then after my friend leaves Santiago I will return to Burgos and walk the Meseta as I want to experience this and do not return home unroll Nov 1st.

My question is where would you veterans of the Camino advise that we start from with only 10 walking days?

For those of you yet to start your Camino I would like to share that it has been more magnificent than in my dreams. Stay in the smaller villages and if you are able take your time, lift your head up and enjoy every moment.

Thanks!

Bobbie

Bobbie,

The answer to your question depends on how far the two of you are comfortable walking each day in order to reach Santiago. Astorga is approximately 270 km from Santiago and Ponferrada 205 km. Either distance would take you up through the last mountains to the almost mythic O Cebreiro and then down through the greenery of Galicia to Santiago.

Be sure to keep enjoying every moment.

Buen Camino to you both,

Margaret Meredith

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Catch the bus from Leon to Cebreiro at the foot of the route up to O Cebreiro and walk from there, just under 150k to Santiago, comfortable enough for you to decide your own pace.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bobbie,
The others have already said the important bit, walk what is comfortable for the two of you, 10 days is enough to get over those first aches and pains as the body tries to react to the new and unexpected realities of getting up early and walking all day-you know, what many people do every evening, The Santiago Shuffle. You too have it right concerning the smaller villages, Galicia countryside is magnificant, the towns leave much, very much, to be desired, stop before or go beyond them all. One last word, do not even consider staying at the so-called Pilgrims Pavillion Os Chacotes just before Palas de Rei, a huge cattle barn of a dormitory often jam packed. Any port in a storm? I would rather sleep outside in the rain!

S

Yes, the others are spot on. Astorga, Ponferrada etc would be great starting points depending on your pace and how much time you want in Santiago afterwards (or travel time).

Enjoy the Meseta! Personally my favourite bit is between Hornillos and Hontanas. It's only a couple of hours walking but it's amazing (for me, anyway!) Buen Camino!

Thank you for all the great advice. We started our walk in Astorga and completed it yesterday receiving our Compostela and attending mass. This is been the greatest experience of my life what a rare opportunity to spend weeks upon weeks just walking contemplating meeting people from all over the world in and living in the moment!

Instead of going back to the Miseta I have decided to walk to Fisterra then go to the Portuguese route from Porto back to Santiago. Any and it all advice welcome and needed.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back