• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

English language alternatives to Gronze.com for planning Camino Portuguese in mid April

Circle56

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2015)
Camino Francés (2020)
We are thinking of Camino Portuguese in mid April. I had a look at Gronze.com. Does anyone know of a website that is in English? Looks like lots of info, I just can’t read it. Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Knowing that "Etapa" means "stage", you should be able to get from the list of stages for the Camino Portuguese, to the page with the details for that stage. Then if you are using Chrome, right click and then select "Translate to English". Even without that translation of the paragraph at the top, the essential information on accommodation is fairly easy to translate.

When I open Gronze.com on my iPhone, the translator function automatically changes the text from Spanish to English. You’re correct that there is a lot of information on Gronze.com which is one reason why I find this website quite useful. If your translator function doesn’t seem to be working, you can copy and past text into a translator app such as Spanishdict.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
K. Thanks for the speedy replies. I had hoped there was a spot to switch to English. Will have another look.
Thanks.

We are thinking of Camino Portuguese in mid April. I had a look at Gronze.com. Does anyone know of a website that is in English? Looks like lots of info, I just can’t read it. Thanks.
If you use the Chrome browser it will give you the option to automatically translate to English. Just be aware that some place names also get translated. For instance Ventosa on the Camino Francés gets translated to Sucker.

If you use the Chrome browser it will give you the option to automatically translate to English. Just be aware that some place names also get translated. For instance Ventosa on the Camino Francés gets translated to Sucker.
K. I will try it on chrome. And will be aware of translations. Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If your browser doesn't support in-line translation, you could try opening Google translate in a web page, selecting 'Webpages' in the options, and inserting the gronze URL there. Then select Spanish as the source language, and English (or another language) as the target. When you press the arrow button, a new browser page will open with the requested translation.

Gronze is pretty well behaved, although you do need to be aware that it will translate things like location names, which can lead to some amusing results.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Open the Gronze website via Google Chrome. You will be given the option of Spanish or English. Select English and everything will automatically be translated. Buen Camino.

I downloaded the Spanish Language Pack into Chrome, then when I opened Gronze in Chrome it automatically translated it into English. It worked seamlessly.
That's interesting. I've never downloaded any language pack into Chrome, but it translates sites in (most) foreign languages into English.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Knowing that "Etapa" means "stage", you should be able to get from the list of stages for the Camino Portuguese, to the page with the details for that stage. Then if you are using Chrome, right click and then select "Translate to English". Even without that translation of the paragraph at the top, the essential information on accommodation is fairly easy to translate.
The Gronze app is amazingly helpful (using Chrome) and retains the English translation once you click the box on upper right. We will use this detailed accommodation info on our Camino this year.

That's interesting. I've never downloaded any language pack into Chrome, but it translates sites in (most) foreign languages into English.
I expect the language settings in Chrome will determine the language choices we are presented for in-line translation. For most here, that would be English, but Google offers a far wider range of target language than just that.

can you see an aA in the url space up top? If so tap it, sometimes it will give you the option to translate what is on your screen. I do not know why sometimes it offers the ability to translate and sometimes it doesn’t, it is just a little trick someone on the forum taught me a while back. It works for Gronze on my iPad.
I really enjoyed using Wise Pilgrim on my Camino, especially for the off-line wayfinding.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I expect the language settings in Chrome will determine the language choices we are presented for in-line translation. For most here, that would be English, but Google offers a far wider range of target language than just that.
Right. I usually mention Chrome will translate to the language of your choice. But the point of my post was that it's not necessary to download any language packs.

Yes. Chrome is the way to go

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As others said - open the webpage using a Chrome browser and then use the translate option to get it in English. That said - be sure to go back and forth between Spanish and English when it comes to verifying names of towns and albergues. Why? Because if the name is in Spanish and has an English translation - it will translate the name of the town/albergue into English too. For example, if you look for the town of Puenta la Reina will be translated to The Queen's Bridge (or something like that). You won't find a town colled "the Queen's Bridge" on a map of Spain.

If you use Chrome as a browser on a tablet or phone, you can take advantage of the GoogleTranslate function when you use Gronze.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A contrary view
The Gronze website is by far the most complete and up-to-date Camino guide, and it is completely free.
It is concise and written in clear and simple language; any person preparing to walk one of the Caminos, and thus be a guest in a wonderful country abound of culture and history with lovely, helpful people, should have a minimum of respect to learn a few words and phrases in the local language. Few other tools are as good and easy for learning these few words and phrases as is Gronze. The descriptions are short and repetitive and with each stage, the vocabulary expands.

Please take an effort to read the few sentences in Spanish, even if you barely understand anything at first. With the help of a translation app, this will improve day by day. (Btw, avoid the superficial horrible Google translate app, use a solid tool such as www.deepl.com). No one will complain about your mistakes, on the contrary, you will be held in the highest esteem. Take advantage of your Camino and of Gronze to learn and use a few simple Spanish phrases.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
I admire it for not bending and yielding to what I call "imperialism of the insensitive" by becoming multilingual.
I agree with you. However, I don't have any issue with suggesting that people use whatever tools - online, browser, or paper dictionaries, to avail themselves of the information. It is up to them to do the work, and I hope they/we are reminded of the richness of knowledge found in other languages.

I agree with you. However, I don't have any issue with suggesting that people use whatever tools - online, browser, or paper dictionaries, to avail themselves of the information. It is up to them to do the work, and I hope they/we are reminded of the richness of knowledge found in other languages.
I totally agree. While it is "nice" when websites have multilingual options - whether it be within the page of through the offering of a button to change language - it is up to the individuals to make the page work for themselves. I don't expect any "foreign" webpage to offer the option to translate a page - but I do know which tools I can use to translate a page for me. Same with texts and emails - they can write me in their language, and I can use google translate to translate for me. We must all learn what tools work for us - at least we do until we are fluent in the other languages in which we are trying to communicate.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I open Gronze.com on my iPhone, the translator function automatically changes the text from Spanish to English. You’re correct that there is a lot of information on Gronze.com which is one reason why I find this website quite useful. If your translator function doesn’t seem to be working, you can copy and past text into a translator app such as Spanishdict.

Interesting. Maybe you have a short cut.
On my iPhone I select the text and the option to translate comes with copy/paste etc.
PS. Gronze has a lot of additional info that I only discovered recently. Eg. The tiny arrow on the right under the map takes you to Google maps for directions. Of course if I knew ‘Abrir mapa’ meant ‘open map’ I would have found it sooner. 😂😂😂
So it’s worth having a good explore before you leave rather than in the last two weeks of your Camino like I did.

can you see an aA in the url space up top? If so tap it, sometimes it will give you the option to translate what is on your screen. I do not know why sometimes it offers the ability to translate and sometimes it doesn’t, it is just a little trick someone on the forum taught me a while back. It works for Gronze on my iPad.
I really enjoyed using Wise Pilgrim on my Camino, especially for the off-line wayfinding.
works for me every time on my MacBook Air. Tap the AA and it says translate to English

(Btw, avoid the superficial horrible Google translate app, use a solid tool such as www.deepl.com).
I took your advice and loaded the DeepL Chrome extension. I don't have the language skills to comment on the quality of the translation, but from a practical perspective, the difference in functionality clearly favours Google at this stage. DeepL appears to require a paid subscription to translate whole web pages, which Google can do on the fly. When partial web pages containing tables, such as Gronze, are translated, DeepL appears to lose all the formatting that makes these pages readable, and DeepL removes the hyperlink information so that one cannot navigate directly from the DeepL translation.

If these are matters addressed in the paid version, they will continue to be unavailable to me, and I will continue to use Google Translate to provide them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I took your advice and loaded the DeepL Chrome extension. I don't have the language skills to comment on the quality of the translation, but from a practical perspective, the difference in functionality clearly favours Google at this stage. DeepL appears to require a paid subscription to translate whole web pages, which Google can do on the fly. When partial web pages containing tables, such as Gronze, are translated, DeepL appears to lose all the formatting that makes these pages readable, and DeepL removes the hyperlink information so that one cannot navigate directly from the DeepL translation.

If these are matters addressed in the paid version, they will continue to be unavailable to me, and I will continue to use Google Translate to provide them.

Occasionally I have noticed Chrome getting confused with what language the webpage is written in even though it should be obvious. I suspect that this is because the author of the webpage encoded the page's language incorrectly in its HTML header, the part of the age meant to be read by browsers and not humans.

If you open it with Google chrome it will automatically translate it. You may have to change chrome settings. That doesn’t happen on iPhone Safari browser.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.