• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need help with Itinerary from Vigo to Santiago

chrissan2023

Time of past OR future Camino
none
Hello, I will be doing my very first Camino walk in 2 weeks, although I did some research (read blogs, books and youtube) but I still feel that I am still clueless lol. For those who completed this journey, could you please help me with my Itinerary from Vigo to SdC. I am planning to walk around 15 km/day and I only have 7 days to walk from Vigo to SdC. Please let me know which town/city I can rest each night including accommodation recommendations and the attractions not to be missed on each town/city along the way. I am planning to travel as light as possible due to health conditions (only clothes, raincoats, no sleeping bag) so I am planning to stay mostly on hostels with private rooms, pension houses or hotels. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello, I will be doing my very first Camino walk in 2 weeks, although I did some research (read blogs, books and youtube) but I still feel that I am still clueless lol. For those who completed this journey, could you please help me with my Itinerary from Vigo to SdC. I am planning to walk around 15 km/day and I only have 7 days to walk from Vigo to SdC. Please let me know which town/city I can rest each night including accommodation recommendations and the attractions not to be missed on each town/city along the way. I am planning to travel as light as possible due to health conditions (only clothes, raincoats, no sleeping bag) so I am planning to stay mostly on hostels with private rooms, pension houses or hotels. Thank you in advance!
Hi Chrissan, I'm doing a similar walk starting 30th April. I'm travelling from Vigo to Valenc (just over the border in Portugal from Tui) and then walking to Santiago. This is 120kms so I'm going to have to motor to make it in 5 days! I've also been researching re albergues and have decided to book my first night and then wing it each day. It sounds like you too are going to be close if you plan to walk 15kms/day...it won't leave a lot of contingency in case of any blisters etc. If you can, try to plan a little further to walk each day, if you can do 20 then you'll have a spare day at the end! Good luck! Pete

VIGOHotel Oca Ipanema
Redondela 16km/4 hrs Rua Urzaiz to Rua de Toledo to Camino da Traida das Augas. Via Verde https://goo.gl/maps/vZvzUKVkx1vxMvuF910
ABOAESTRELA.com Family Room with bathroom. reserved via email Reservas@aboaestrela
Pontevedra 19.6k/5 hr 120 & 135m ascents12.4\Hotel BoaVIia
Armeteira p 3 km, Spiritual Variant to Left. Pass monesterio de poio. Combarro then climb 200m to Monesterio de Armeteira.14.3https://www.monasteriodearmenteira.es/ Reserved via email Sister Paula: Hospederia@monasteriodearmenteira.es
Vilanova de Arousa14.3A salason Albergue https://asalazon.es/ Reservas@asalazon.com https://asalazon.es/
BOAT TO PADRON29:00:00 AM --2 hours. Mar De Santiago Martime Station in Vilanova de Arousa
Amare Turismo Náutico
AREAL8airbnb.com/rooms/51328703
Santiago8Pension Residencia Fonseca
This itinerary is the one by the Variante Espiritual
From Porto to Pontevedra is the same as mentioned above

But the original straight direct route goes from as written above from Porto to Pontevedra and then to Caldas de Reis , 20 kms
You can stay in a wellness hotel because Caldas de Reis has hotsprings or in hotel/albergue O Cruceiro where you can find rooms in hotel style or in albergue style ( cheaper)

Caldas de Reis to Padron. 18 kms. We stayed several times in pensão ( pension ) O Jardim.
Next day we walked to Milladoiro 15 kms where are hotels ( see booking.com)
Next day then you will have an easy 10 kms into Santiago

Hi Chrissan, I'm doing a similar walk starting 30th April. I'm travelling from Vigo to Valenc (just over the border in Portugal from Tui) and then walking to Santiago. This is 120kms so I'm going to have to motor to make it in 5 days! I've also been researching re albergues and have decided to book my first night and then wing it each day. It sounds like you too are going to be close if you plan to walk 15kms/day...it won't leave a lot of contingency in case of any blisters etc. If you can, try to plan a little further to walk each day, if you can do 20 then you'll have a spare day at the end! Good luck! Pete
This is a not common routing from Vigo back to Valença do Minho . 30 kms back on a non waymarked trail and then back 120 kms on the Central route to Santiago
Have a glimpse on the map .🙃
Or do you arrive at Vigo airport and take the ALSA bus or the CP ( comboios Portuguēses ) train from Vigo to Valença ?
In case you fly to Vigo I should continue if I were you the coastal to Redondela and from there to Santiago. Exactly 100 kms and you will get your Compostela certificate in Santiago ( Vigo is the minimum distance to get a Compostela but do not forget to collect 2 stamps at your credential

You also could take a taxi from the airport to Mos where you are on the waymarked Central route and after about 10 kms you arrive in O Porriño O Pirriño is 102 kms from Santiago and qualifying for a Compostela too ( two stamps per day!)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Pete, thank you for your suggestions. I actually have a total of 9 days for this trip but I am planning to stay 2 nights in Vigo and maybe 2 nights in SdC to visit places around the city and to prepare for my walk.

I completed Vigo to Santiago, via the Variente at the end of my Coastal Portuguese in October...it's a nice route, a good alternative in my opinion to the Sarria-Santiago stretch. I have some friends coming to Spain in May and they want to step into the Camino world...but lightly so I chose this route, they mostly want private rooms so it was no problem to arrange it for them and they want luggage transfer. I chose the following itinerary, 7 days. Vigo-Redondela, usual city walk to begin but some nice woodsy areas too, Redondela to Pontevedra, slightly more difficult than day one with a few steep climbs, places to stop for breaks, and take the river route towards the end...Pontevedra to Combarro, this is a very short stage, not too challenging and I want my friends to come back so I made 1 stage into 2 , plus Combarro is worth a longer stay, sleep in, get there in time for lunch and enjoy some time in the seaside village...tomorrow you climb! Combarro to Ribadumia, so this puts you sort of in-between stages, it starts our like a bear, straight uphill for a couple of hours, but a lovely end to the days walk through the route of stones and water, one of the prettiest peaceful stretches on any camino...Ribadumia to Vilanova de Arousa, another easy walk, take time to book your boat crossing a day or so ahead..if you like mussels your in the right place, Vilanova de Arousa to O'Sisto, day starts with a boat ride up the river to just outside Padrón, , you could stay here, or go all the way to Santiago, a lot depends on your boat time and that depends on the tide....could be 6:00 am or early afternoon...I chose to walk halfway to Santiago and found an amazing albergue...and will do the same with my friends in May...last day to Santiago, a few hours and you're there....Buen Camino..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Casa Rural Vella da Rivera in O sisto...it was a splurge night after several bunk beds in a row, I tend to treat myself on the night before Santiago...66 euros....worth every penny ....one of my top 5 on any Camino....it's closer to 4 1/2 hours to Santiago from there...a bit off the Camino 10 minutes but you can take a beautiful path the next morning to reconnect to the Camino which at this point is a busy road.

Attachments

• IMG_8518.jpeg
    IMG_8518.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8531.jpeg
    IMG_8531.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8534.jpeg
    IMG_8534.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8535.jpeg
    IMG_8535.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
I completed Vigo to Santiago, via the Variente at the end of my Coastal Portuguese in October...it's a nice route, a good alternative in my opinion to the Sarria-Santiago stretch. I have some friends coming to Spain in May and they want to step into the Camino world...but lightly so I chose this route, they mostly want private rooms so it was no problem to arrange it for them and they want luggage transfer. I chose the following itinerary, 7 days. Vigo-Redondela, usual city walk to begin but some nice woodsy areas too, Redondela to Pontevedra, slightly more difficult than day one with a few steep climbs, places to stop for breaks, and take the river route towards the end...Pontevedra to Combarro, this is a very short stage, not too challenging and I want my friends to come back so I made 1 stage into 2 , plus Combarro is worth a longer stay, sleep in, get there in time for lunch and enjoy some time in the seaside village...tomorrow you climb! Combarro to Ribadumia, so this puts you sort of in-between stages, it starts our like a bear, straight uphill for a couple of hours, but a lovely end to the days walk through the route of stones and water, one of the prettiest peaceful stretches on any camino...Ribadumia to Vilanova de Arousa, another easy walk, take time to book your boat crossing a day or so ahead..if you like mussels your in the right place, Vilanova de Arousa to O'Sisto, day starts with a boat ride up the river to just outside Padrón, , you could stay here, or go all the way to Santiago, a lot depends on your boat time and that depends on the tide....could be 6:00 am or early afternoon...I chose to walk halfway to Santiago and found an amazing albergue...and will do the same with my friends in May...last day to Santiago, a few hours and you're there....Buen Camino..

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back