• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need help with MAPS.ME please

1elantra

Time of past OR future Camino
way of St James
Hello all. I am trying to load and login to maps.me. It will not send the opt code to my phone so Im unable to login. Any ideas how to get around this please? Will I still be able to use the app if not logged in. Is this the best one to use for the Frances or is another easier and user friendly. Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For me, a dedicated Camino app like Buen Camino or Wise Pilgrim is the most user friendly. In addition to offline gps route guidance they offer cultural and historical info about the different areas and lists of accommodations with contact info and links to booking.com when available.

For me, a dedicated Camino app like Buen Camino or Wise Pilgrim is the most user friendly. In addition to offline gps route guidance they offer cultural and historical info about the different areas and lists of accommodations with contact info and links to booking.com when available.

Oh thanks very much. Ill take a look. Have read on forum to use so many maps, got confused. Just looking for a easy to use map I can use offline. Starting next week and will get lost for sure 🤭🤭

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’ve used maps.me for years and didn’t even know you could sign in! 😂. Honestly, your post made me look to see if I had an account…I don’t! So I guess it works without signing in.

However, if you are simply walking the Camino Frances, there is no need for real mapping software unless you inherently get lost. The route is over-marked, littered with arrows, signs, markers, etc, not to mention a trail of pilgrims you can simply follow. Alternative routes, snow, darkness, and other elements can affect following the trail, but overall it is very easy.

If you decide you need a mapping app, one designed specifically for the Camino is more useful than maps.me. Plenty out there, but I’ve used Buen Camino for years and am happy with it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’ve used maps.me for years and didn’t even know you could sign in! 😂. Honestly, your post made me look to see if I had an account…I don’t! So I guess it works without signing in.

However, if you are simply walking the Camino Frances, there is no need for real mapping software unless you inherently get lost. The route is over-marked, littered with arrows, signs, markers, etc, not to mention a trail of pilgrims you can simply follow. Alternative routes, snow, darkness, and other elements can affect following the trail, but overall it is very easy.

If you decide you need a mapping app, one designed specifically for the Camino is more useful than maps.me. Plenty out there, but I’ve used Buen Camino for years and am happy with it.
IT was my intention to teach others about maps.me and login 🤔 ( not). Thanks I think Ill stick with the Buen Camino app like you suggested ( just gotta learn how that works now). Wanted something reliable so I can find my accomm.
Thanks again, cheers

Oh thanks very much. Ill take a look. Have read on forum to use so many maps, got confused. Just looking for a easy to use map I can use offline. Starting next week and will get lost for sure 🤭🤭
The more popular Camino routes have apps with good maps. They are also VERY well marked and MOST of the time - you don't need a gps map. Frances, Norte, Primitivo, and Portuguese at least.

I did use a long distance hiking map app for the Frances - but because I was used to that app and I liked some of the details they included (like water source locations) - but on the Frances - it wasn't really necessary. Again - I was just used to using the other app.

Anyhow - pick your favorite Camino app and download the map for offline use - so you can continue to use your phone in airplane mode if you want to.

Beyond that - I use google maps to find my way in the big cities (like getting from the airport to the train station or getting to my first albergue or if I need to find a post office or supermarket etc).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Does anyone know if any of the apps mentioned will let you record your route as well as see the route to follow? I expect it to be on top of the route most of the time, but wanted to actually record my stops and key points if possible. (I know there is always paper and pencil too.)

Does anyone know if any of the apps mentioned will let you record your route as well as see the route to follow? I expect it to be on top of the route most of the time, but wanted to actually record my stops and key points if possible. (I know there is always paper and pencil too.)
I use GaiaGPS app to record my trainings at home. I plan to use it the Camino too. Apparently when you are in Spain you may download the Spain IGN Topo layer that contains the Camino. Not sure how this works yet... Actually, I learn this in this forum in a thread about maps.

The Fitbit app will also log the info for you including mapping as you walk. Yoi dont need to be using a fitbit

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I use GaiaGPS app to record my trainings at home. I plan to use it the Camino too. Apparently when you are in Spain you may download the Spain IGN Topo layer that contains the Camino. Not sure how this works yet... Actually, I learn this in this forum in a thread about maps.

The Fitbit app will also log the info for you including mapping as you walk. Yoi dont need to be using a fitbit
Thanks, I'll look into these options.

A few years ago when we walked the CF and CP I used maps.me and it was a life saver for many reasons. We would leave early in the morning while it was still dark which made the route harder to find, however maps.me saved us many a time here. The other great thing was determining how far away you were from things (such as coffee!) and also adding bookmarks for places.

I understand now with maps.me you can record your route, which I think is only new this year and i haven't tried that part yet.

I highly recommend maps.me for hiking (don't recommend using for car - not unreliable) however it does take a bit of getting use to. And the only reason you need to log-on to the app is if you want to backup bookmarks/trails into the 'cloud'.

You honestly do not need any app.
There are waymarks all along the way.
It would be very difficult to get lost.
Do you have a Brierley or other guidebook?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked in fall 2022 on camino frances with guidebook and no electronic devices for route. Frances is very well marked. You will be fine. A little tougher coming out of the bigger cities but you pick up on watching for the markers very quickly.

I walked in fall 2022 on camino frances with guidebook and no electronic devices for route. Frances is very well marked. You will be fine. A little tougher coming out of the bigger cities but you pick up on watching for the markers very quickly.
Thanks. It is the cities and finding my accom thats going to be the most trying, but sure Ill be fine

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I use OSMand offline and like it a lot.
But honestly, on the Francés you won't need a map app. It's so well marked. A guide or camino app is uaeful for accommodation, but even then you can use the information from Gronze - it is frequently updated.

€149,-
Hello all. I am trying to load and login to maps.me. It will not send the opt code to my phone so Im unable to login. Any ideas how to get around this please? Will I still be able to use the app if not logged in. Is this the best one to use for the Frances or is another easier and user friendly. Thanks
Are you new to Maps.Me? I had issues being able to reload on a new phone. I used the same SIM card and I tried to reload it from Google Play and it kept saying "will be installed at a later time"
So I lost a year and a half of logging my walks.
So I took the SIM card put it back in my old phone and deleted them the app and SIM card from the old phone. Replace the SIM card into the new phone and was able to download and unlock and view my walks again.

Are you new to Maps.Me? I had issues being able to reload on a new phone. I used the same SIM card and I tried to reload it from Google Play and it kept saying "will be installed at a later time"
So I lost a year and a half of logging my walks.
So I took the SIM card put it back in my old phone and deleted them the app and SIM card from the old phone. Replace the SIM card into the new phone and was able to download and unlock and view my walks again.
Hi yes I am. Not sure Ill bother with it, and will probably stick more with camino apps as others have suggested

A few years ago when we walked the CF and CP I used maps.me and it was a life saver for many reasons. We would leave early in the morning while it was still dark which made the route harder to find, however maps.me saved us many a time here. The other great thing was determining how far away you were from things (such as coffee!) and also adding bookmarks for places.

I understand now with maps.me you can record your route, which I think is only new this year and i haven't tried that part yet.

I highly recommend maps.me for hiking (don't recommend using for car - not unreliable) however it does take a bit of getting use to. And the only reason you need to log-on to the app is if you want to backup bookmarks/trails into the 'cloud'.
What confuses me is, what regions do I need to download for offline use? It has a bunch of regions to download but I'm not sure which the Camino Frances passes thru

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What confuses me is, what regions do I need to download for offline use? It has a bunch of regions to download but I'm not sure which the Camino Frances passes thru
Maps.me helps you with this. Zoom into northeast Spain. Once you have zoomed in enough that you need substantial data a pop-up will ask if you want to download [region name] and that is hopefully Navarra. After the download look for Pamplona. A black line is the Camino Francés and if you zoom in enough and follow the line to the east you should see a label for it. Keep following it and whenever you enter a new region you are prompted again. You can stop once you have gotten the French one with SJPdP. Do the same headed west to get all the regions you want.

Not quite as easy as giving you a list of regions to download but it does tell you how you can download maps of various other places you may want to visit.

If you are low on space you can download the region you are in and the next one when at some place where you have cheap data. When you enter the newer region delete the older one.

Maps.me helps you with this. Zoom into northeast Spain. Once you have zoomed in enough that you need substantial data a pop-up will ask if you want to download [region name] and that is hopefully Navarra. After the download look for Pamplona. A black line is the Camino Francés and if you zoom in enough and follow the line to the east you should see a label for it. Keep following it and whenever you enter a new region you are prompted again. You can stop once you have gotten the French one with SJPdP. Do the same headed west to get all the regions you want.

Not quite as easy as giving you a list of regions to download but it does tell you how you can download maps of various other places you may want to visit.

If you are low on space you can download the region you are in and the next one when at some place where you have cheap data. When you enter the newer region delete the older one.
Yeah, for some reason it never asks me. Maybe I don't have it set up right. It cant even route me a walking path from SJPDP to Compostela, so maps.me may just suck for the Frances

Yeah, for some reason it never asks me. Maybe I don't have it set up right. It cant even route me a walking path from SJPDP to Compostela, so maps.me may just suck for the Frances
The first video here demonstrates the zooming in method of downloading a regional map. The second shows how to use a menu to do the same. I hope it helps a bit.

The Maps.me maps have the Camino Francés built into them.

YouTube video id: rGVGQBMBI4k

YouTube video id: ENylOhcX404

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi yes I am. Not sure Ill bother with it, and will probably stick more with camino apps as others have suggested
It can be a very handy app when you're walking off main trails. Tell it where you're starting and where you want to go any City and I'll tell you how to get there by walking.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.