• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need help with Moviestar

lbpierce

Linda Breen Pierce
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Hola everyone,

I am in Barcelona for a few days before starting my camino from Roncesvalles. I bought a Moviestar SIM card for my phone and bought 10 Euros of time for it. I know it is working because a friend tested it by calling me on Skype. I haven't made any outgoing calls yet. I am getting a message from Moviestar saying that I have only 2 Euros left on it. Does that mean that you are charged for incoming calls as well as outgoing calls? Also, is it possible to add more time via the Internet, or if not, do I need to find a Moviestar outlet to do so? How do pilgrims add more time on their SIM cards when they are walking from one small village to another?

Muchas gracias.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
lbpierce said:
. I know it is working because a friend tested it by calling me on Skype. .

Skype to receive the call? Could you have used the credit in data?

Have you checked you have global roaming turned off, and anything else that may be consuming data? You can recharge at almost any small newsagent or store but its easier to get some help from an English speaking local to get started. You need to get the prepaid sim set up and most Spaniards are eager to help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hmmn...I have to say that I am technologically challenged. If the Skype call I received was over the internet, and if I was connected via Wi-Fi to the INternet at the time of the call, then I wouldn't be using data, would I? I don't have any sort of 3G, roaming feature in my cell phone plan back home, and when I bought the time on Moviestar I told them I didn't want any data usage, just phone usage.

I will try to find a Moviestar outlet to see if they can explain it to me and sell me more minutes. I have an intermediate level of spanish, but I don't understand most of this stuff in English, so I will see how it goes.

If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

Mystery solved. Went to a Moviestar today and they showed me that I had a Mobile Data option checked on my Samsung Galaxy III phone. I don't recall selecting that option, but it explains how my time was used up.

lbpierce said:
Hmmn...I have to say that I am technologically challenged. If the Skype call I received was over the internet, and if I was connected via Wi-Fi to the INternet at the time of the call, then I wouldn't be using data, would I? I don't have any sort of 3G, roaming feature in my cell phone plan back home, and when I bought the time on Moviestar I told them I didn't want any data usage, just phone usage.

Just to answer this.

If you're on wifi you aren't using any phone company data.

Your home plan doesn't matter. You are using the Moviestar SIM. Telling them you didn't want any data plan just means you get charged by use. Often this is a fairly hefty cost per MB of data.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Some of this discussion is over my head but I can answer two of your questions:

-- many small cities/big towns have movistar stores. I don't think it will be a problem to add money to the card. I also think that in many small towns there are other places that can sell it to you, tabacalerias (tobacco shops) are the main one.

-- my understanding is that it doesn't cost you anything to receive a call (but I don't know if that applies to international calls). I know this because many Spaniards I know walk around with a cell phone that has no "saldo" (balance) but they can receive calls.

Hope your hiking poles arrived with you! What was your experience? (hope I'm remembering this right). Buen camino, Laurie

Hi there,

I think I know what is going on. You say you used skype, so that mean you used internet.... and using the internet over the Movistar network you pay a little.

You can re charge in most larger grocery stores or MoviStar stores... (Look for the Movistar logo at the checkout counter in the supermarkets). They will ask you for your mobile number. I have not done this many times, but I think that some grocery stores has a fee... meaning, if you charge €10 you may be credited with 9 or 8 euros.

Buen Camino!
Ivar

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.