A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Need help with old cell phone puchased in Pamplona

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
We bought a simple Samsung cell phone in 2015 in Pamplona from Moviestar- model GT-E 12001
Recently, I added 10 euros of time, on-line. We are heading back to start in SJPdP end of September. Unfortunately, my sister put the wrong PIN number when she went to see if the minutes had been added. She entered the wrong PIN too many times and the phone is now blocked! We are not scheduled to stop in Pamplona until walking there from St Jean...and we will not likely have sufficient time in Madrid to seek assistance as our connections are too tight. So ,I was wondering if any of you folks might know how to unblock a phone? Is there a way to do it yourself. I know the PIN number. If not, I will leave the phone home.
Thanks.

andywild

Camino(s) past & future
april '2018'
I think you have to speak to the provider and give them the IMEI number printed on the phone . Or maybe I've dreamt it...

aname4me

aname4me
Camino(s) past & future
2013, 2015, 2017, 2019
I did something similar....

My Wife and I had identical phones. I picked hers up (by mistake) and put in my PIN#, twice. It didn't work. I got the paper and checked. That was the right number (still the wrong phone) so I put in the number a couple times more.
That was it. LOCKED!

Two days later, we were in Burgos and went to a Orange Dealer/Outlet. I had to show them my passport and they fixed it. Took 5 minutes. No big deal.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
We bought a simple Samsung cell phone in 2015 in Pamplona from Moviestar- model GT-E 12001
Recently, I added 10 euros of time, on-line. We are heading back to start in SJPdP end of September. Unfortunately, my sister put the wrong PIN number when she went to see if the minutes had been added. She entered the wrong PIN too many times and the phone is now blocked! We are not scheduled to stop in Pamplona until walking there from St Jean...and we will not likely have sufficient time in Madrid to seek assistance as our connections are too tight. So ,I was wondering if any of you folks might know how to unblock a phone? Is there a way to do it yourself. I know the PIN number. If not, I will leave the phone home.
Thanks.
It's not about the wrong PIN number.
Spanish pre-paid SIM cards are valid (and are working) one year after last top-up. Then the SIM and the number is locked/deleted.
You can throw it away and get a new one.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
Well
I did something similar....

My Wife and I had identical phones. I picked hers up (by mistake) and put in my PIN#, twice. It didn't work. I got the paper and checked. That was the right number (still the wrong phone) so I put in the number a couple times more.
That was it. LOCKED!

Two days later, we were in Burgos and went to a Orange Dealer/Outlet. I had to show them my passport and they fixed it. Took 5 minutes. No big deal.
As I said, we will not have time to get the phone unlocked at a dealers in Madrid or In Pamplona. Does anyone know if there is a moviestar store in St. Jean...and would they help with a Spanish phone? Or, does anyone else have suggestion as to how to get this phone unblocked?

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
Well

As I said, we will not have time to get the phone unlocked at a dealers in Madrid or In Pamplona. Does anyone know if there is a moviestar store in St. Jean...and would they help with a Spanish phone? Or, does anyone else have suggestion as to how to get this phone unblocked?
we used the phone in 2018 already this past March and put 10 euros on it last week.

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
carry it with you til you get to a town with a Movistar store. They can deal with it. I think your first opportunity will be in Arre, just east of Pamplona, or in Pamplona itself, once you walk into there.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
carry it with you til you get to a town with a Movistar store. They can deal with it. I think your first opportunity will be in Arre, just east of Pamplona, or in Pamplona itself, once you walk into there.
Thanks, I was hoping we could resolve the phone issue before we leave St Jean..in case of emergency.

Camino(s) past & future
Many
If I remember correctly, this is when the PUK number comes in handy. It is also printed on the card that the SIM came in. How to use it depends on the device, but there should be a menu item for unBLOCKing SIM.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
If I remember correctly, this is when the PUK number comes in handy. It is also printed on the card that the SIM came in. How to use it depends on the device, but there should be a menu item for unBLOCKing SIM.
We can’t get to menu..as phone is blocked from opening.

Camino(s) past & future
Many
We can’t get to menu..as phone is blocked from opening.
You might be confusing the phone unlock code with the SIM unlock code. They are mutually exclusive, and all phones should be unlockable (to browse the menu, contacts, etc) without unlocking the SIM (for calling, browsing contacts stored on the SIM card, web browsing, etc.).

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF15, CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF17, CP17, CdN, CM, CF18, LePuy19
Thanks, I was hoping we could resolve the phone issue before we leave St Jean..in case of emergency.
To my recollections there are no phone shops between SJPdP and Pamplona.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
If I buy a SIM card at Dublin airport in transit....and they set it up in my Iphone8 + with no data will it work in France and to Pamplona where I could the buy another SIM card with phone and data? If so is there a place in transit where I can purchase a sim card and what should I get?

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
There's also a PUK number (on your "card") in case you put in PIN wrongly more than three times.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
There's also a PUK number (on your "card") in case you put in PIN wrongly more than three times.
Thanks but we do not have that card anymore!

jmcarp

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2013
Camino del Norte a Chimayó (USA), 2015
Camino Portugues, 2017
If you can't get it resolved before you leave St Jean, there will be many others walking with or near you, and in the event of a true emergency, I'm pretty sure you'll find someone who will either make a call for you or let you use their phone for an emergency call. The Camino provides.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
We tend to leave very early in the morning....but, of course, I have no doubt other pilgrims would call and help Us!

Xali1970

Camino(s) past & future
You could get a SIM in Dublin and preload it with €20-30. With European roaming laws you can use it in Spain no issues.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 37 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 132 15.6%
  • May

Votes: 203 23.9%