• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need help with old cell phone puchased in Pamplona

Marbe2

Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2023 walked all or part of CF 11 times
We bought a simple Samsung cell phone in 2015 in Pamplona from Moviestar- model GT-E 12001
Recently, I added 10 euros of time, on-line. We are heading back to start in SJPdP end of September. Unfortunately, my sister put the wrong PIN number when she went to see if the minutes had been added. She entered the wrong PIN too many times and the phone is now blocked! We are not scheduled to stop in Pamplona until walking there from St Jean...and we will not likely have sufficient time in Madrid to seek assistance as our connections are too tight. So ,I was wondering if any of you folks might know how to unblock a phone? Is there a way to do it yourself. I know the PIN number. If not, I will leave the phone home.
Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think you have to speak to the provider and give them the IMEI number printed on the phone . Or maybe I've dreamt it...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did something similar....

My Wife and I had identical phones. I picked hers up (by mistake) and put in my PIN#, twice. It didn't work. I got the paper and checked. That was the right number (still the wrong phone) so I put in the number a couple times more.
That was it. LOCKED!

Two days later, we were in Burgos and went to a Orange Dealer/Outlet. I had to show them my passport and they fixed it. Took 5 minutes. No big deal.

We bought a simple Samsung cell phone in 2015 in Pamplona from Moviestar- model GT-E 12001
Recently, I added 10 euros of time, on-line. We are heading back to start in SJPdP end of September. Unfortunately, my sister put the wrong PIN number when she went to see if the minutes had been added. She entered the wrong PIN too many times and the phone is now blocked! We are not scheduled to stop in Pamplona until walking there from St Jean...and we will not likely have sufficient time in Madrid to seek assistance as our connections are too tight. So ,I was wondering if any of you folks might know how to unblock a phone? Is there a way to do it yourself. I know the PIN number. If not, I will leave the phone home.
Thanks.
It's not about the wrong PIN number.
Spanish pre-paid SIM cards are valid (and are working) one year after last top-up. Then the SIM and the number is locked/deleted.
You can throw it away and get a new one.

Well
I did something similar....

My Wife and I had identical phones. I picked hers up (by mistake) and put in my PIN#, twice. It didn't work. I got the paper and checked. That was the right number (still the wrong phone) so I put in the number a couple times more.
That was it. LOCKED!

Two days later, we were in Burgos and went to a Orange Dealer/Outlet. I had to show them my passport and they fixed it. Took 5 minutes. No big deal.

As I said, we will not have time to get the phone unlocked at a dealers in Madrid or In Pamplona. Does anyone know if there is a moviestar store in St. Jean...and would they help with a Spanish phone? Or, does anyone else have suggestion as to how to get this phone unblocked?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well

As I said, we will not have time to get the phone unlocked at a dealers in Madrid or In Pamplona. Does anyone know if there is a moviestar store in St. Jean...and would they help with a Spanish phone? Or, does anyone else have suggestion as to how to get this phone unblocked?
we used the phone in 2018 already this past March and put 10 euros on it last week.

carry it with you til you get to a town with a Movistar store. They can deal with it. I think your first opportunity will be in Arre, just east of Pamplona, or in Pamplona itself, once you walk into there.

carry it with you til you get to a town with a Movistar store. They can deal with it. I think your first opportunity will be in Arre, just east of Pamplona, or in Pamplona itself, once you walk into there.

Thanks, I was hoping we could resolve the phone issue before we leave St Jean..in case of emergency.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If I remember correctly, this is when the PUK number comes in handy. It is also printed on the card that the SIM came in. How to use it depends on the device, but there should be a menu item for unBLOCKing SIM.

If I remember correctly, this is when the PUK number comes in handy. It is also printed on the card that the SIM came in. How to use it depends on the device, but there should be a menu item for unBLOCKing SIM.

We can’t get to menu..as phone is blocked from opening.

We can’t get to menu..as phone is blocked from opening.
You might be confusing the phone unlock code with the SIM unlock code. They are mutually exclusive, and all phones should be unlockable (to browse the menu, contacts, etc) without unlocking the SIM (for calling, browsing contacts stored on the SIM card, web browsing, etc.).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If I buy a SIM card at Dublin airport in transit....and they set it up in my Iphone8 + with no data will it work in France and to Pamplona where I could the buy another SIM card with phone and data? If so is there a place in transit where I can purchase a sim card and what should I get?

There's also a PUK number (on your "card") in case you put in PIN wrongly more than three times.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks, I was hoping we could resolve the phone issue before we leave St Jean..in case of emergency.
If you can't get it resolved before you leave St Jean, there will be many others walking with or near you, and in the event of a true emergency, I'm pretty sure you'll find someone who will either make a call for you or let you use their phone for an emergency call. The Camino provides.

You could get a SIM in Dublin and preload it with €20-30. With European roaming laws you can use it in Spain no issues.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.