• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need help with suitable meet up point.

JAMC

Hi everyone,
I've been reading the forum for a couple of weeks now and I've learnt so much, its all very exciting and such a great place for a novice like me.

I thought I'd post a couple of questions as this bit is starting to drive me to distraction and I'm sure that with all that expertise that is out there it won't prove too difficult for those who have done this before.

I am walking the camino France at the beginning of July starting at SJPP I luckily have 42 days off work and will be taking my time. I haven't confirmed how I'm getting to SJPP from the UK yet, but would rather not fly. It will be either train, bus or ferry.

My husband is not so lucky and can only manage a week or two maximum off work but he would like to join me for the time he has. There is lots of information about the last 100km but we need it to be a bit longer and something he can get to quite easily from the UK and somewhere on my route so I don't have to take too much of a detour to meet up with him, do you have any suggestions??

Once that is sorted we need to decide on how we get home... which will depend on whether we get singles or return tickets on the way over... decisions decisions.... :D :D

Thanks in advance.... :D

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It is two weeks from Leon to Santiago. The airport is on the way out of Leon at La Virgen del Camino, so your husband could meet you on the Camino just 1 km up from the airport!

I would suggest Astorga. He could still fly to Leon and from there take the short bus ride to Astorga, by that you cut off two days walk and you can therefore walk at a more relaxed pace. Anne

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi!

Unfortunately flying to Leon from the UK can be hideously expensive. He'd probably have to go via Barcelona with Iberia. Alternatives are Ryanair from Stansted to Santiago (or possibly Valladolid), or Vueling from Heathrow to La Coruna. Then bus/train.

Ponferrada could also be a good starting point. It's fairly well connected.

How you are both going to get home is important. If travelling together and not by air that could eat into your time considerably.

Buen Camino!

I was in the same position trying to find a place to meet my sister, so experienced members please correct me but maybe he could meet you in sarria since there is a relatively good system for pilgrims to get there...it would not take a whole week even with a leisurely pace, then the days he has left you two could continue to finisterre or muxia, or just see the many sights in Santiago? I think on the other thread on nice alburges someone said there was a great place with only two per room near sarria?

Hi again!

Yes, Smallest_Sparrow is right. That could work. The trip to Finisterre doesn't have to be on foot if you're short of time!

I think the important thing is to build flexibility into whatever you do. If he arrives at his starting point before you do he could walk back to meet you. You might want to take in the pilgrim service and other things in Santiago as well.

It will also depend how easily he can determine the exact dates as well as the duration of his leave from work. As you say, decisions, decisions!

Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
He could fly to Valladolid and take a bus to either Leon, Astorga, or Ponferrada which would be probably a 2-4 hour bus trip depending on where he'd meet up. A friend met me in Ponferrada which was a pretty good place to meet up as it is a good enough sized town that there were plenty of bus connections. Or, he could fly to Asturias Airport and take a bus as well (that might be closer).

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
HI Jamc
I'm going to go against the flow of advice here and suggest a different option.
Walk the start together from SJPP, over the Pyrenees, through Pamplona, Punta La Reina, Estella, Logrono to Burgos (about 12 days). You will be able to experience the start of the adventure together. The Way here is I think fascinating and glorious. It will be less busy than the end of July near Santiago (which will be a bit mad) and personally I found the locals on this part to be some of the friendliest. Burgos Cathedral is a wonderful contemplative place for the two of you to part company. And when he goes back he'll understand exactly what you are going through for the next few weeks. It also leaves the option open for him to return (with you at a later date) and complete what you both started.
And if you are lucky perhaps he can come over on the weekend to Santiago and meet you for the finish?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
peregrino_tom said:
HI Jamc
I'm going to go against the flow of advice here and suggest a different option...
And an excellent option it is too. Good thinking that man! :)

tyrrek said:
peregrino_tom said:
HI Jamc
I'm going to go against the flow of advice here and suggest a different option...
And an excellent option it is too. Good thinking that man! :)
Thinking about it, that's a great option. Anne

OH WOW... so many options... thank you everyone x

Peregrino_tom, that is one option we hadn't thought of... :roll:

We've got an exciting weekend ahead of us as we will be spending it with my sister and her family who is soon to become a Mummy again! This is probably the last time we will be with them before the new arrival so not sure if we are going to get much time to discuss these option (although how we are going to think of anything else is beyond me :lol: :? :lol: )
But rest assured we will be using your advice over the following weeks and no doubt have lots of questions on the back of what ever we choose. I hope you don't mind me coming back and picking your brains some more?
This has given us such a great starting point and hopefully we can have our transport booked very soon.

God bless :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Im Pepe, and I will do the Camino in july from Leon. My advise for your husband filght is , fly to Asturias airport, it is near Oviedo, and is cheap if you book it in advance in Easyjet, and from there he can choose many options, one is, go to Leon by bus, and other go to Ponferrada by bus too.
I hope this ideas help you.
Pepe.

JAMC said:
OH WOW... so many options... thank you everyone x

Peregrino_tom, that is one option we hadn't thought of... :roll:

We've got an exciting weekend ahead of us as we will be spending it with my sister and her family who is soon to become a Mummy again! This is probably the last time we will be with them before the new arrival so not sure if we are going to get much time to discuss these option (although how we are going to think of anything else is beyond me :lol: :? :lol: )
But rest assured we will be using your advice over the following weeks and no doubt have lots of questions on the back of what ever we choose. I hope you don't mind me coming back and picking your brains some more?
This has given us such a great starting point and hopefully we can have our transport booked very soon.

God bless :D

Thank you Pepe...

Since my last post, a few things have changed... My sister still hasn't had her baby!!!! We are all waiting anxiously and that's the first thing on our minds but our Pilgrim passports have arrived, I've bought a rucksack and starting to gather a few things together and have a few training walks under my belt... all is going well. I am now going to travel to Biarritz by train buying a single ticket only and my husband is going to drive down to meet me. He has two weeks from work and will walk for a week and drive me home (Driving as well as walking is his hobby :) ) Just need a good place to meet and leave the car now.... but we're getting there, its all feeling very real now.

The forum is great, every time I have a question I just on here and BINGO there's the answer... I'm getting so excited for July...

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back