• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need most basic info to start

Molly Kettler

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto to Santiago Spring 2018
We plan to travel the coastal Portuguese route in May, 2018. Which airport should we fly into,
Lisbon, Madrid, or somewhere else? Thanks in advance.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Depends on where you're going to start hiking!!

From where I live, there weren't flights direct to Lisboa and that's not even where I was going to start hiking; it made the most sense to fly US > Madrid > Porto. If I'd planned to start hiking in Lisboa, the routing would have been US > Madrid > Lisboa.

Porto/Matosinhos > Santiago is about 10 days; Lisboa > Santiago is about double that. How long were you planning on hiking? If your time is not limited due to work or something else, you might consider flying into Madrid and taking a train to either Porto or Lisboa.

Depends on where you're going to start hiking!!

From where I live, there weren't flights direct to Lisboa and that's not even where I was going to start hiking; it made the most sense to fly US > Madrid > Porto. If I'd planned to start hiking in Lisboa, the routing would have been US > Madrid > Lisboa.

Porto/Matosinhos > Santiago is about 10 days; Lisboa > Santiago is about double that. How long were you planning on hiking? If your time is not limited due to work or something else, you might consider flying into Madrid and taking a train to either Porto or Lisboa.
Planning to start in Porto

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We found it easier to fly into Lisbon and take the train up to Porto.
However, the transfer between the airport and the train station took
longer than we'd expected. Nissan and Toyota would have been proud
of our "just in time" entry onto the train !

We found it easier to fly into Lisbon and take the train up to Porto.
However, the transfer between the airport and the train station took
longer than we'd expected. Nissan and Toyota would have been proud
of our "just in time" entry onto the train !
Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you
If you can not fly direct to Porto and are arriving in Lisbon I would recamend flying with Ryan Air from Lisbon to Porto I did recently and it only cost 10.00 euro cheaper than the train and the metro brings you from the airport to the city centre

We flew into Lisbon and spent a few days there before taking the train to Porto. Well worth it!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It was cheapest for us to return to Lisbon. It was an easy train trip with one change of trains.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back