Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need pilgrim feedback on a pilgrim house in Oviedo

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have friends who are considering opening a donativo refugio in Oviedo (They prefer the term refugio over albergue, because of the commercial connotation that word has). Their plan is to have beds for 12 pilgrims. This place (where they will also live) is right on the Camino path that takes people from Oviedo back to the Camino del Norte at Avilés, but there are very few pilgrims who take that route. So to make it work, this refugio would have to rely on pilgrims who are willing to take a little detour to get there. They are experienced pilgrims and would be able to calm whatever jitters people might have about embarking on the somewhat more difficult and untraveled Camino Primitivo.
I´ve already given these friends a little feedback, but more would be great. Here are some questions:

Would you stay in a refugio that is a 15-20 minute walk from the cathedral, a 10 minute walk from the train station, out of the center of town (nice garden in back with great view of the cathedral!)?

Would the fact that this would be "donativo" (think Bodenaya, Grañon, Herbón) make you more or less likely to go there, or would it have no effect?

How important would the "pilgrim house" aspect of this refugio be -- that is, the fact that it would be run by people wanting to have a welcoming pilgrim place and not a business? Does that matter to pilgrims today?

Would communal meals be an attraction?

From this place, pilgrims going onto the Primitivo would have two options. First, it would be a very easy connection to the route up to the Naranco sites, and we´ve had several posts on the forum showing how it´s easy to continue to Escamplero from the Naranco churches. Second, to get directly on the Camino Primitivo, you would not have to go back to the Cathedral nor to the center of town, there is a much shorter connection to the Camino, and the owners would obviously provide excellent information on how to make that walk. The house is almost exactly as far from the train station as the cathedral is, so this means no added distance.
I know this is not a scientific experiment, but any reactions or opinions could be very helpful. Bad as well as good, they want to think about all the disadvantages as well as the positive features. Things you think would be important to success or that would be a bad idea, in short, just give me all your thoughts on this idea!

Many thanks, everyone, buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
To be clear, this would be out of Oviedo, in direction of the Primitivo? Could it replace El Esclampero? Because if it did, from what I have read about El Esclampero, it may be a welcomed option.

Would you stay in a refugio that is a 15-20 minute walk from the cathedral, a 10 minute walk from the train station, out of the center of town (nice garden in back with great view of the cathedral!)?
Yes - but then I stayed at the dodgiest place in Oviedo so maybe my comments count for not much at all!
Would the fact that this would be "donativo" (think Bodenaya, Grañon, Herbón) make you more or less likely to go there, or would it have no effect?
Not less likely, but not necesarilly more likely. I think it is important for people to realise that running these places COSTS something and so it is important to leave an adequate (or more) donativo and not just see it as a cheap night.
How important would the "pilgrim house" aspect of this refugio be -- that is, the fact that it would be run by people wanting to have a welcoming pilgrim place and not a business? Does that matter to pilgrims today?
In my experience, these are exactly the types of places that I take away good memories from.
Absolutely. I love communal meals.

A low-budget place (something like 10E per night not counting food) would be welcomed in Oviedo, especially as many people would like to stay an extra day and the municipal is very particular with their one-night policy. There are plenty of options for people able to spend 20E+.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think it would be a great option--particularly given the limits of the current albergue (opening time, etc.) in Oviedo. Particularly if Pilgrims don't need to backtrack into the city to continue on their way, I think having another pilgrim-friendly option would be a great asset to Oviedo.

As far as having a communal experience, I think that a house like that would be a great way to start the Primitivo. It is so special to have that sort of night (eg Bodenaya, Guemes), that I think starting ones Camino with a pilgrim friendly and community centered stay would be welcome to many!

Please keep us posted.

Yes

No effect

Doesn't matter to me.

Yes

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This would be excellent for Pilgrims going to and through Oviedo. The refugio could be indicated from train station for pilgrims starting their camino, I would stay. However there is the possibility of another place for pilgrims opening which might affect these plans, last year I saw report that the Monasterio de las Pelayas in the old centre might used in accommodating pilgrims. But I think that there is enough people who walk who would feel drawn to the place your friends would open to help it work.

I think it would be a great option--particularly given the limits of the current albergue (opening time, etc.) in Oviedo. Particularly if Pilgrims don't need to backtrack into the city to continue on their way, I think having another pilgrim-friendly option would be a great asset to Oviedo.

As far as having a communal experience, I think that a house like that would be a great way to start the Primitivo. It is so special to have that sort of night (eg Bodenaya, Guemes), that I think starting ones Camino with a pilgrim friendly and community centered stay would be welcome to many!

Please keep us posted.

Thanks, Laura, their plan is to open at 2 pm. Buen camino!

No problem with the distance and I'm sure a map would make it easy to find. So sounds good for those wishing those onward routes. I have no problems with staying in donativos anyway. Personally always find staying with Pilgrim-centric atmospheres enjoyable. What would a Camino be without communal meals? When next in that neck of the woods I would give it serious consideration if available.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have friends who are considering opening a donativo refugio in Oviedo (They prefer the term refugio over albergue, because of the commercial connotation that word has). Their plan is to have beds for 12 pilgrims. This place (where they will also live) is right on the Camino path that takes people from Oviedo back to the Camino del Norte at Avilés, but there are very few pilgrims who take that route. So to make it work, this refugio would have to rely on pilgrims who are willing to take a little detour to get there. They are experienced pilgrims and would be able to calm whatever jitters people might have about embarking on the somewhat more difficult and untraveled Camino Primitivo.
I´ve already given these friends a little feedback, but more would be great. Here are some questions:

Yes, if there were adequate signage, and a good web presence, make sure that people know it is on the route to the Naranco sites. It will also help if people 'chat' about it on this forum (not advertise but ...)

No effect.

Not at all.

Very very very important!

From this place, pilgrims going onto the Primitivo would have two options. First, it would be a very easy connection to the route up to the Naranco sites, and we´ve had several posts on the forum showing how it´s easy to continue to Escamplero from the Naranco churches. Second, to get directly on the Camino Primitivo, you would not have to go back to the Cathedral nor to the center of town, there is a much shorter connection to the Camino, and the owners would obviously provide excellent information on how to make that walk. The house is almost exactly as far from the train station as the cathedral is, so this means no added distance.
I know this is not a scientific experiment, but any reactions or opinions could be very helpful. Bad as well as good, they want to think about all the disadvantages as well as the positive features. Things you think would be important to success or that would be a bad idea, in short, just give me all your thoughts on this idea!

I am looking for a place to spend 2 nights at before I depart on my trip in May. They need a web booking presence on booking.com so we can book before we arrive in the city. and they speak English?
Best wishes
Pam

Hi, Pam.

Thanks for your feedback. This will be a donativo place so there will be no reservations and no web booking. And yes, one of the two speaks fluent English.

Not sure when opening will be, but hopefully sometime during this year's Camino season. If you need suggestions on places to book (not albergues, I assume, but you can book one poorly reviewed "private albergue" type place), try some of the threads with recommendations on private places, like this one: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...start-date-to-the-calendar.30471/#post-260905

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie -- As you know, I haven't walked but this seems like a great idea. I know Tom and I would not think twice about being a bit off the beaten path. Plus it sounds like this refugio would be on the way to Naranco? So it might be great for folks who are going to walk that way out of Oviedo. I especially like the idea of a "pilgrim house" as Oviedo is a starting place for many. I know we are spending a day there and staying in a hotel (part of the getting over jet lag with which we have both struggled) prior to walking. and it would be fun to go hang out with other pilgrims. If it is open by this summer we will definitely stop in. Finally, we really have tried to stay in the municipal, parish and other donativo albergues. My daughter walked the Camino de Santiago in 2009 as a very, very poor college student. I know that inexpensive and donativo albergues made her walk possible. I also think its consistent with the ethic of pilgrimage. So where we had a choice we tried to pick these albergues for our lodging. Finally for us, communal meals were a huge plus. We loved the community of pilgrims and cooking and eating together were highlights of our first pilgrimage. LIz

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Laurie, this sounds really fun!
I know many, many pilgrims won't deviate from their guidebook paths for a single meter, but they are OK with the municipal. I saw the announcement about the monastic house that hopes to open an albergue in town, but it looks like that plan is still a good way "down the road" where permits, etc. are concerned. Your friends should consider limiting their capacity to avoid having to meet strict city and provincial occupancy rules and inspections, and should also be aware of how extremely seasonal that camino can be... Still, Oviedo could really use a homey place for pilgrims. I wish them luck, and offer any kind of support I can.

I have friends who are considering opening a donativo refugio in Oviedo (They prefer the term refugio over albergue, because of the commercial connotation that word has).

As for the word "refugio", I understand the point. But in Spain it is mostly associated with stray pets refuges and mountain shelters. Maybe an option would be "hospital" (in the old sense of "hospitality"), which it is used by other public alberguues

Their plan is to have beds for 12 pilgrims. This place (whre they will also live) is right on the Camino path that takes people from Oviedo back to the Camino del Norte at Avilés, but there are very few pilgrims who take that route. So to make it work, this refugio would have to rely on pilgrims who are willing to take a little detour to get there.

Although they (upon your description) may not like the idea, they will need some kind of marketing campaign. That is, mailing the editors of well known Camino guides (as Godesalco, Consumer Eroski, Brierley, Gronze) and maybe borrowing a page from the commercial businesses, that is, personally distributing leaflets in the Camino, before the city.

I Would you stay in a refugio that is a 15-20 minute walk from the cathedral, a 10 minute walk from the train station, out of the center of town (nice garden in back with great view of the cathedral!)?
Yes, defiinitely.

Nope. Actually, I would recommend that they think twice about this, unlesss they have very deep pockets.

A big yes. It is the hospitaleros, not the amenities, what makes a good albergue. On the other side, if they tend to fall into the preaching side about "what is a true pilgrim", I would rather avoid it.

said:
Also, a big yes. Very worthwhile, especially if it is rather far from downtwon.
Another option would be a kitchen

I have found very attractive the albergues that have some spaces for socializing. As a winter and early spring pilgrim I have had many good moments around the fireplace
Any way they decide about their albergue/refugio, my congrats to these fellow pilgrims. Hope their project prospers.

Last edited:
Hello Laurie, thank you for the additional details you provided that made my understanding of the location better.

Would I stay in a refugio that is a 15-20 minute walk from the cathedral, a 10 minute walk from the train station, out of the center of town (nice garden in back with great view of the cathedral!)? I think the location is interesting for a few reasons: Oviedo will be the starting point for many wanting to walk the Primitivo, so being close to the train station is good. Go straight there from the train, and if you want to wander around town, leave your bags and head to the city center. And if it en route to the Naranco sites, even better.

Would the fact that this would be "donativo" make it more or less likely for me to go there, or would it have no effect? It would have no effect.

How important would the "pilgrim house" aspect have? I think this is a lovely thought, but what would motivate me first and foremost to stay there is that from what I have heard and read the current albergues in town are quite bad. So an albergue that is well loved by its owners would be a huge draw for me. And if there's a meal and an opportunity to meet fellow pilgrims embarking on this less walked path that would be lovely.

This being said, I know that for many people coming from Del Norte, when arriving in Oviedo, before embarking on Primitivo, the extra comforts of a pension or hotel are very appealing. A welcomed break, an opportunity for what could be a better night of sleep. Also, Oviedo offers some of the best priced "Menu del dia" and Cidre Alley draws a lot of people to the center of town, which may decrease the attraction of the communal meal vs how interesting it can be in small villages.

I also know that, for me, not being able to book ahead would be an issue. I'm a slow walker, so going in the opposite direction of the rest of the accomodations in town risking not getting a bed and having to walk back would be a concern. If I am getting off a train after making a cross-Atlantic flight and feeling jetlagged, I would not want to risk it. Getting there off the Camino del Norte and not getting a bed, I may not chance it either. If I can reserve, they by all means, I'm there!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also know that, for me, not being able to book ahead would be an issue. I'm a slow walker, so going in the opposite direction of the rest of the accomodations in town risking not getting a bed and having to walk back would be a concern. If I am getting off a train after making a cross-Atlantic flight and feeling jetlagged, I would not want to risk it. Getting there off the Camino del Norte and not getting a bed, I may not chance it either. If I can reserve, they by all means, I'm there!

Thanks, Anemone,

I understand this concern about booking. I'm not sure (but will ask) whether they will have a phone number to call when you arrive in Oviedo so that you can save yourself a trip if they are.

But I think that people for whom booking is important would not be going to an albergue in Oviedo anyway, since the only other options are the municipal albergue and that rooming house the Kiwi-family described in not so glowing terms.

I also understand how people arriving with jet lag might want a day to see the city before starting out. So maybe for them the ideal combo is to spend the first night in a private pensión or hotel, and then move to the refugio for the night before starting out.

As for the word "refugio", I understand the point. But in Spain it is mostly associated with stray pets refuges and mountain shelters. Maybe an option would be "hospital" (in the old sense of "hospitality"), which it is used by other public alberguues

Any way they decide about their albergue/refugio, my congrats to these fellow pilgrims. Hope their project prospers.

Felipe, I agree that the term refugio has really fallen out of fashion. When I walked in 2000, that´s what all the places I stayed were called, I don´t think I ever even heard the term albergue. But I will pass this comment along to them -- I´m afraid "hospital" would be even more confusing than refugio, though, since that link to the camino is in the even more distant past. Thanks guys, Laurie

But I think that people for whom booking is important would not be going to an albergue in Oviedo anyway, since the only other options are the municipal albergue and that rooming house the Kiwi-family described in not so glowing terms.

I also understand how people arriving with jet lag might want a day to see the city before starting out. So maybe for them the ideal combo is to spend the first night in a private pensión or hotel, and then move to the refugio for the night before starting out.

Hi Laurie, you are right, people who would want the safety of a reservation would not be going to one of the other albergues, but they will be going to a pension, which still means that they will not go and stay with your friends. It's still beds not filled, no matter what other bed is.

Hi Laurie, you are right, people who would want the safety of a reservation would not be going to one of the other albergues, but they will be going to a pension, which still means that they will not go and stay with your friends. It's still beds not filled, no matter what other bed is.

You're right of course, but I wonder if there is any middle ground here. None of the donativos take reservations (Granon, Bodenaya, Guemes, Pendueles, etc.) and there is something kind of inconsistent between the idea of a donativo place and a reservation system. And I know from talking to owners of places along many different caminos that they are very frequently burned by pilgrims who make reservations and never show up.

At the same time, since Oviedo is the start of the Primitivo, I can see why many would like to know where they are going to sleep in Oviedo before they arrive. I know that you will be able to call upon arrival to see if there are beds, but would adding an additional day to that be helpful? (meaning, you could call the day before and "reserve" a bed).

Thanks, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Laurie, this sounds really fun!
I know many, many pilgrims won't deviate from their guidebook paths for a single meter, but they are OK with the municipal. I saw the announcement about the monastic house that hopes to open an albergue in town, but it looks like that plan is still a good way "down the road" where permits, etc. are concerned. Your friends should consider limiting their capacity to avoid having to meet strict city and provincial occupancy rules and inspections, and should also be aware of how extremely seasonal that camino can be... Still, Oviedo could really use a homey place for pilgrims. I wish them luck, and offer any kind of support I can.

Reb, thanks for your support. Don't be surprised if you get a call from Oviedo in the near future! What do you think about this reservation dilemma? Do you take "reservations?"

You know Laurie, I was thinking about the reservation dilemma. I see Anemone's point for sure. But it seems to me that with 12 beds, the albergue will be a godsend for through pilgrims walking the Salvador/Primitivo or diverting off the Norte. And while arriving pilgrims may take advantage of reserving at an albergue if they can, there seem to be many good and relatively inexpensive options for pensions and hotels in Oviedo that can be reserved for arrival. If this small albergue offers reservations that could mean that it is filled on many nights with new arrivals and will not be available for the through walkers which seems a bit backwards to me.

For new arrivals, I think the idea of the Pilgrim House is really the great service. I know when we arrived in SJPDP we were dying to start meeting other pilgrims and talk. It was Easter Monday and very little was open. We were thrilled when we walked into one of the only open bars and saw a couple who looked like pilgrims. The four of us sat and visited for a couple hours. Plus there are always last minute errands -- where to go to pick up breakfast and lunch supplies for the next day, get to an ATM, buy those little supplies you didn't take on the plane. A pilgrim house would really provide a focus for solving those issues.

This is rambling, but I guess it all goes to me thinking that not taking reservations is probably the way to go.

Liz

There is also an advantage for hospitaleros when allowing reservations: You know how many pilgrims you have for dinner ;)
Perhaps a middle ground? No we don't take reservations, but you are welcome to call the previous day and check general availability.
Buen albergue to your friends, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
These comments are very helpful, and I'm sure this will be something that they will think a lot about. I think you guys are right that it would be important to have a way to contact them to see if there is room, maybe even a call the day before, but not a reservation system. I think that for some pilgrims, having a reservation and knowing where you are going to stay days in advance is important. Many people starting to walk in Oviedo will want to have their reservations lined up way ahead of time, so for these guys this place is probably not going to work. It will have to be the more laissez faire pilgrims who aren't troubled by the uncertainty. I think this system has worked well for Bodenaya and the other donativo places on the caminos, so why not here? Maybe the fact that it's the starting point for many makes it different, I don't know. The albergue in Roncesvalles doesn't take reservations, and people take that in stride, but I confess I have reserved a room in SJPP several times!

My friends are seeing all these comments, so thanks a lot! Laurie

And just as a heads up, this place is located much closer to the train or bus station than the municipal albergue, to which people will have to walk without knowing whether it is full or not, so that might add to its attraction.

I think this system has worked well for Bodenaya and the other donativo places on the caminos, so why not here? Maybe the fact that it's the starting point for many makes it different, I don't know. The albergue in Roncesvalles doesn't take reservations, and people take that in stride, but I confess I have reserved a room in SJPP several times!

Hi Laurie, I am glad you are finding these comments to be useful. To answer your question about the difference with Bodayena dn Roncesvalles is not only that Oviedo is often a starting point, but also that it has many more options: two not so brilliant albergues, but many hostales and even hotels, including a number at low cost. But if your friends only have 12 beds to fill, it may not be as much of an issue for them to be successful. And if they make allowances for people flying in or what have you with a call on the day they fly out to confirm they are coming, that is even better. I would hate to miss on a place where people want to offer all of the humanity your friends are will to share just because I don't want to wonder if I will get a bed or not. Please with them the best from me.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think that a lot of these details are important, but there's no magic right answer, so my guess is that it will be a case of trial and error for a while. But the important thing is their spirit and commitment to the Camino and to pilgrims -- they are amazing people and will go all out to help. Hoping now that the approvals go well, and maybe the construction will begin!!! Buen camino, Laurie

Twelve beds is a LOT, especially on an alternate route that requires an extra walk off the trail at the end of a long day.
A place that is near to the train/bus that is in a popular starting-place city is going to have to deal with the issues of "starting-tomorrow" newbies who are in high spirits, cutting loose, and don't know how to behave like pilgrims yet. (Think Salamanca, Ourense, Sarria).
I think they will not have a big issue with reservations, because I suspect they will not fill up the place very often.
Even so, here at Peaceable in high season we let people reserve a place, but we tell them they have to be here by 4 p.m., or their bed might go to someone else. This avoids the problem of people spending the afternoon getting loaded at the bar and showing up here after dark, looking for dinner that was served an hour ago: and us turning away knackered pilgrims while saving beds for no-shows.
I think donativo will be their biggest struggle, especially in a city.

Twelve beds is a LOT, especially on an alternate route that requires an extra walk off the trail at the end of a long day.
A place that is near to the train/bus that is in a popular starting-place city is going to have to deal with the issues of "starting-tomorrow" newbies who are in high spirits, cutting loose, and don't know how to behave like pilgrims yet. (Think Salamanca, Ourense, Sarria).
I think they will not have a big issue with reservations, because I suspect they will not fill up the place very often.
Even so, here at Peaceable in high season we let people reserve a place, but we tell them they have to be here by 4 p.m., or their bed might go to someone else. This avoids the problem of people spending the afternoon getting loaded at the bar and showing up here after dark, looking for dinner that was served an hour ago: and us turning away knackered pilgrims while saving beds for no-shows.
I think donativo will be their biggest struggle, especially in a city.
Reading your post, Rebekah, impresses upon me how different our pilgrim perceptions are from the reality of operating an albergue! Liz

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

MY 2 CENTS: if I am coming all the way from Pola de Lena, I might think about it twice, to be honest.

MY 2 CENTS; now, that sounds much better... if it is a donativo one, you might want to make it known or advertised in the previous albergues along the way so that people know that in advance, particularly in Pola de Lena or Mieres

MY 2 CENTS; well... as long as it does not look like an overcrowded appartment, it should be ok, I guess!

MY 2 CENTS; absolutely, at least for me, although, on the other hand, Oviedo is full of places to eat plenty of good food at reasonable prices. Asturian cuisine is worth to try!

wow, that sounds great, Naranco and Lillo are not to be missed, beautiful place! To me it would be the ideal place to start the Primitivo; get off the train (the train trip from León is absolutely SPECTACULAR), see the cathedral and the centre, soak the atmosphere of Oviedo, then go to the albergue after visiting the Naranco sites.

In fact, one of the routes I have pending is, Oviedo-Avilés.

MY 2 CENTS; now, that sounds much better... if it is a donativo one ....well... as long as it does not look like an overcrowded appartment, it should be ok, I guess!

[/QUOTE

So clearly 'donativo' suggests free or just about, and super accomodations are still expected?

From what Laurie says I assume her friends want to open their house and hearts to create an exceptional pilgrim experience, and to do so, and not exclude anyone, they are willing to risk their income to offer it as a "donativo". The fact that she refers to Granon in her post suggests that as well. Funny, why is it I leave more money in donativos than elsewhere? Even if I've getting "less" for my money? To make sure donativos remain open for those who truly cannot experience the Camino otherwise? Because even a tent is expensive.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks, everyone, for your insights on the donativo conundrum. I've had a lot of talks with Rebekah about this very topic, about how she knows that many of the well-dressed high tech pilgrims who spend a night in her house, eat her food, and leave nothing or very little, are just cheap capitalists, out to get the best product at the lowest price. My friends know that, too. It would drive me crazy, I could never run a place that way, but my friends and Rebekah are different than I. They know they will get "cheated," but they are there for the non-cheaters. They are there for the people who can't pay, and who don't have much food. And they are also there for the well-heeled pilgrim who would consider it stealing to spend a night in someone's home, eat their food, use their showers, and not leave anything, the person who values the opportunity to share a meal, to partake of the community, and who decides to leave at least what it would have cost to spend the night somewhere else. And I suppose if the rich cheapskate becomes the predominant type of person who shows up, they won't last long, but they are pure camino spirits and seem determined to give it a try. I will keep you posted on developments, there should be some news soon! Buen camino, Laurie

Interesting, this very day we are hosting Antonio from Portugal, the homeless pilgrim who stops here periodically and helps us "keep it real." He slept outdoors the last two nights in below-freezing temperatures, has two blankets but no sleeping bag.
He shares his food and wine with us, such as it is.
He always smiles.
He's livin' the dream!

Interestingly, I tend to favour donativos. They sound more in line with my own spirit when I walk. I always pay a little more when staying in a donativo. Why? My budget is set anyway, and relaxed: Because I can, and because of the obvious spirit of such places: They give, and so I want to give back.

One understands that they are cheated on by some people. Now, I know there are many "free-riders" out there. One can only hope that at the end of their walk, they have found some insight, and return for another walk with that insight intact. Isn't that what the Camino teaches us?

Communal/shared meals: I like them very much, since my days are normally spent walking alone, and eating together and share stories/life experiences over dinner and a (few) glass of wine is often inspiring/good. Cooking alone is less fun (I normally prepare my meals in the albergue: I like to cook, and I like to shop at locals, but now and then I indulge in a Menu del Dia :)).

Edit: There is also the fun of going to the local shop with newfound friends, buy food and wine, and prepare a good meal together and socialise, for at least half the price.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have friends who are considering opening a donativo refugio in Oviedo (They prefer the term refugio over albergue, because of the commercial connotation that word has). Their plan is to have beds for 12 pilgrims. This place (where they will also live) is right on the Camino path that takes people from Oviedo back to the Camino del Norte at Avilés, but there are very few pilgrims who take that route. So to make it work, this refugio would have to rely on pilgrims who are willing to take a little detour to get there. They are experienced pilgrims and would be able to calm whatever jitters people might have about embarking on the somewhat more difficult and untraveled Camino Primitivo. My first thought is that the location is not ideal. If the location is North of Oviedo, who would the route appeal too other than those who are looking for an alternative to Oviedo. Those who walk the Norte and deviate to Oviedo would have the option to stop on there way back to the Norte but it would be a short day. Those going to the Primitivo from the Norte could select it as an option versus a stay in Oviedo. Someone walking the Salvador could also select it as an option versus an Oviedo stay. I know I stopped for lunch and then went on to Encamplero (sp.). The location does just not seem to be ideal.

Would you stay in a refugio that is a 15-20 minute walk from the cathedral, a 10 minute walk from the train station, out of the center of town (nice garden in back with great view of the cathedral!)? Possibly depending on the situation.

Would the fact that this would be "donativo" (think Bodenaya, Grañon, Herbón) make you more or less likely to go there, or would it have no effect? I really enjoy most donativo Albergues, the owners tend to be more Camino centric. Casa Belen is another good one

How important would the "pilgrim house" aspect of this refugio be -- that is, the fact that it would be run by people wanting to have a welcoming pilgrim place and not a business? Does that matter to pilgrims today? No, but they tend to be more enjoyable.

Would communal meals be an attraction? Yes

Joe

... we are hosting Antonio from Portugal, the homeless pilgrim who stops here periodically and helps us "keep it real." ...

Is he the one that suffered a ship wreck close to Norway? and made a vow to the Virgen del Carmen to visit all holy sights on foot? I do remember him! Buen Camino to him and you, SY

I worked in a donativo albergue as a hospitalero. Whenever we hospitaleros had the pilgrims in the 'right' mood to give, an official person would ... and the pilgrims put their money away and gave very little. Trying to get donations is an art which some do not know. The box to donate in the morning must be accessible and charm must be used to get the essentials funds to continue to support 'their' needs. I also think that the 'right' way to get money from a pilgrim is different for different nationalities.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This would be excellent for Pilgrims going to and through Oviedo. The refugio could be indicated from train station for pilgrims starting their camino, I would stay. However there is the possibility of another place for pilgrims opening which might affect these plans, last year I saw report that the Monasterio de las Pelayas in the old centre might used in accommodating pilgrims. But I think that there is enough people who walk who would feel drawn to the place your friends would open to help it work.

Looks like the plans for the albergue in the Monasterio de la Pelayas are going nowhere. According to this article, anyway -- http://www.elcomercio.es/oviedo/201502/05/pelayas-creen-albergue-monasterio-20150205001152-v.html

A political stand-off between the ayuntamiento and the nuns has been the downfall, it seems.

Not good news but it does suggest my friends' casa won't have "competition" opening at the same time they do.

Buen camino, Laurie

I'm getting late into this thread but would like to chime in.

Q1 - "Would you stay in a refugio that is a 15-20 minute walk from the cathedral, a 10 minute walk from the train station, out of the center of town (nice garden in back with great view of the cathedral!)?"

A1 - I would. I've never done a camino but I'm thinking about the Primitivo in very late August and part of September this year. A ten minute walk from the train station would not be bad. I would need an address and a telephone number to confirm there was a space for me before walking over. It would be nice if I could leave my kit in a secure location and walk to the Cathedral for the credential and the post office to drop ship items to Santiago. The only advantage in renting a hotel room would be the ability to secure items while traveling around in the city.

Q2- "Would the fact that this would be "donativo" (think Bodenaya, Grañon, Herbón) make you more or less likely to go there, or would it have no effect?"

A2 - I think it is a beautiful concept but is it viable today? The owners would need to attract a particular clientele to make it a successful venture. I would want mature pilgrims. Someone doing a camino and not looking for a cheap holiday. That brings up a question. What would be an appropriate donation? I ask because the least expensive hotel I found in Oviedo was something like 34E. I'm not sure what the municipal alburgue costs but I'm guessing 10-15E? My daughters pulled stints as waitresses while attending college. I have heard their horror stories about how miserly some people can be even though they have had good service. I can't imagine going into someone's home, sleeping and eating there, and not giving a generous donation.

Q3- "How important would the "pilgrim house" aspect of this refugio be -- that is, the fact that it would be run by people wanting to have a welcoming pilgrim place and not a business? Does that matter to pilgrims today?"

A3 - Again I think it is a beautiful concept. It sounds like everything good you read about in some of the alburgues.

Q4. -"Would communal meals be an attraction?"

A4 - "I have to be honest. I am dreading the prospect of eating alone a long way from home. I used to travel on business and eat in very nice restaurants on the company credit card. Sometimes colleagues were eating with me, but on those days I was alone I hated it. I found myself preferring to eat in inexpensive fast food places because it was normal to see people there eating by themselves. I know there will be solitary meals, but on the first day of my camino I think it would be great to sit with others and talk about a mutual goal.

That's my 2 cents worth........ So Laurie will this refugio be open in late August this year? If so I'm in!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, tortuga bob,
Thanks so much for your answers. I will pass this on to my dear friends. They are still working, one small step at a time, and I´m hopeful they will be up and running before you get to Oviedo. I will definitely let people know here when I hear some definitive news. Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back