• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need Recommendation

Valarie Griep

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese (2016, 2017) Frances (2018, 2019)
I want to walk at least part of the Via de la Plata and/or Sanabrés routes in the fall 2020. There are a few guidebooks available and I'd like to know your recommendation for the one you found most useful. I will stay in albergues with private rooms or casa rurales so info on both is helpful.
And if there was a section you especially enjoyed, please let me know that too. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I want to walk at least part of the Via de la Plata and/or Sanabrés routes in the fall 2020. There are a few guidebooks available and I'd like to know your recommendation for the one you found most useful. I will stay in albergues with private rooms or casa rurales so info on both is helpful.
And if there was a section you especially enjoyed, please let me know that too. Thanks for your help!
Hi Valarie
Guides / there are lots ! as you’ve mentioned.

I like to have these available on my phone :

My ‘go to’ Link in phone (to gronze)
https://www.gronze.com/

This has all the routes. On gronze you can see stages ., profile map , accommodation recommendations (including links to booking dot com). All the information is easy to understand even if the descriptions are in Spanish.

Also :
Gerald Kelly’s guide to Via de la plata. Has stage info , accommodation suggestions, eating etc. maps.
Look at his fb group for Via de la plata too. You’ll get all sorts of input/tips from there specific to Vdlp.

Also : free app: Maps.me
Download to your phone - helpful to show you where you are and can be used in ‘aeroplane mode ‘ so won’t eat into your data or need wifi. It uses gps but does use battery so close out of it when not needed.
Tracks are available on this forum to download onto maps.me also ; so very handy.

I used all three above last year and that will be enough for me when finishing it this year.

I didn’t take a hard cover guide book myself but I believe the Gerald Kelly one is available in this form.

All the best with planning
Annie

Ive walked the VDLP twice. April 2017 & 2019. Loved it.
I used Maps.me .... a great help... and continue to use it everywhere I travel.

I also had Gerald Kelly book on my phone along with the VDLP Premium App you can download.
Between Gerald Kelly that I had downloaded on my phone & the VDLP App, I didnt need anything else.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I enjoyed the south more on both the VdLP and the Sureste. In Salamanca there is so much beauty that you would be wise, if you have time, to stop and explore for a couple of days. On the VdLP I found the Kelly more than adequate.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back