• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need some advice.. leaving in a week

gmccarty

Time of past OR future Camino
June 8th- TBD
Hi- my name is Grace and I am a 20 year old solo woman leaving to do (a small part) of the French way on June 7th. I have been living in Rome for the past two months, and decided I really wanted to take this opportunity to complete a small part of the camino. As i fly back to the states on the 22nd of June, I want to make sure I have some flexibility to my plan...
I currently planned to leave from El Cebrero, aiming to complete my Camino in 7 days, but would need to make it back to Rome pretty soon after that in order to have time to pack. I have been considering starting from Sarria, instead, aiming to complete my camino in five days, but am reluctant as I've heard people say the moments before Sarria can be some of the best.
I have currently gathered the materials, (sleep sheet, hiking shorts, tennis shoes, head lamp, hiking socks, fast dry towel) I think I will need, but am open to any suggestions of other things to bring- but want to keep it light!
Finally- Booking. I havent booked anything yet as I am still a little unsure of my route. I am willing to wake up very early to secure a spot in a public albegue, but if that is not even worth the hassle and it is better to just book ahead, that isnt a problem.
Again- am super open to any advice offered as I am totally scared and not sure what to do! Trying to trust the crazy feeling telling me to do this lolol! thanks! Buen Camino <3
Grace

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Grace and welcome here.

This planner gives you an idea about distances and places to stop.Your plan is feasible but take into consideration that unexpected things can turn up and that you might need to slow down for some reason.

I would advise to start a little bit closer to Santiago de Compostela so you do not need to rush getting back to Rome.

Tennis shoes on a Camino? Most do not need heavy walking boots but I would suggest at least some allround hiking shoes or some kind of trail shoes.

Leave the headlamp at home.

Happy preparations.

O Cebreiro to Santiago in 7 days should be possible, but you need to have good walking legs. Did it in 6 and 5 days on my Caminos, but had the advantage of having the training of some 600+km of Camino before that.
As to the equipment question: you really don't need a lot. Even tennis shoes might be OK for that since there are no real difficult sections past O Cebreiro.
If you want to take a shorter way, maybe have a look at other options. I understand many people are quite happy with starting in Sarria, but i could never do that and would likely go for the Camino Ingles instead (or the Invierno but that is longer)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sarria to Santiago will be busiest in July when many Spanish pilgrims are on holiday and want to get to Santiago to celebrate St James day.

We did Santiago to Finistere to Muxia early in May. A beautiful 7 day walk. You can get a couple of lovely certificates at Finistere and Muxia to prove you've completed the walk.
Bus back to Santiago.
(This will not qualify you for a compostela at the end although if you bus to Muxia then walk the full distance back to Santiago you would qualify for that)

Last edited:
Hi- my name is Grace and I am a 20 year old solo woman leaving to do (a small part) of the French way on June 7th. I have been living in Rome for the past two months, and decided I really wanted to take this opportunity to complete a small part of the camino. As i fly back to the states on the 22nd of June, I want to make sure I have some flexibility to my plan...
I currently planned to leave from El Cebrero, aiming to complete my Camino in 7 days, but would need to make it back to Rome pretty soon after that in order to have time to pack. I have been considering starting from Sarria, instead, aiming to complete my camino in five days, but am reluctant as I've heard people say the moments before Sarria can be some of the best.
I have currently gathered the materials, (sleep sheet, hiking shorts, tennis shoes, head lamp, hiking socks, fast dry towel) I think I will need, but am open to any suggestions of other things to bring- but want to keep it light!
Finally- Booking. I havent booked anything yet as I am still a little unsure of my route. I am willing to wake up very early to secure a spot in a public albegue, but if that is not even worth the hassle and it is better to just book ahead, that isnt a problem.
Again- am super open to any advice offered as I am totally scared and not sure what to do! Trying to trust the crazy feeling telling me to do this lolol! thanks! Buen Camino <3
Grace
Good morning Grace,
I've done the Camino in three chunks, over three trips (slow walker). The most commercialized section is from Sarria to Santiago, so it might be a good idea to look at any stretch between Pamplona and Ponferrada. Making it back to Rome in time would probably mean ending the walk in a city with good bus transport east. O Cebrero is fantastic, and at the top of a mountain. Getting up there takes time. Have you checked the Brierly guidebook? All the best!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Grace,

First, let go of the fear. Some anxiety is OK, but there is nothing to fear on the Camino.

If ending your Camino in Santiago is important, then all of the previous advice is excellent.

If you think you might return to do the remainder of the Frances route at some point in the future, then I would consider beginning in St-Jean-Pied-de-Port and finishing your 7-days of walking somewhere perhaps between Estella and Los Arcos. That does put you in an area a bit further along than Pamplona, so finding transport would be something to consider and might require a taxi. Having never done that, I do not know how challenging that would be, but a little research should give you an idea.

This first part of the CdF is particularly inspiring and will provide you with plenty of motivation for a return trip. I caveat my advice by recognizing that I'm a first-things-first guy (my initials are OCD) and wherever you choose to start and finish, you will have an amazing adventure.

Buen camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am doing Sarria to Santiago right now. I am a slow walker who enjoys smelling every flower, talking to each cow, and taking lots of pictures of the forest. Although there are plenty of pilgrims around, I mostly am alone. If you don’t want to hurry, you could consider starting in Sarria. This has been a beautiful walk!

On Camino now, currently in Melide. O Cebrero is great, but you have to get there. I suppose you can Taxi there and start. You might also consider Tricastella. Seven days to Santiago totally plausible from there. Sarria is also a great choice. People I have encountered have reported bed shortages. For example Villafranca was full a few nights ago when I was there and pilgrims were walking about town looking for beds. There are a lot more places to stay after Sarria so risk is lower. In general I would tell you to start closer and give yourself the flexibility to move slower, stop and smell the roses (literally) and enjoy some of the great towns more thoroughly. Best wishes whatever you decide.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back