• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need suggestions for London

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I was able to get a flight from London to New York, where I'll meet my husband and visit our son, using my frequent flyer miles. I'll get an EasyJet or RyanAir flight to London. I'd like to spend a couple of days in the London area, as I've never been to the UK before. My flight from Heathrow is on August 16th, so I'm looking at arriving on the 14th. Central London hotels are eye watering expensive, and there's nothing in particular that I'm dying to see. Sightseeing can wait until a longer trip in the future. I would like a place with easy transport to the airport, and a nice walkable area. I'm open to ideas!
Also, I have one friend who lives in London, but she's going to be in Brighton on the days that I'll be there. Would that be a good option for a place to stay and soak in some British culture?

Thanks

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@trecile, Brighton is famously "little London-by-the-sea" a renowned source of British "culture". If a little sea-port just along the coast, that is a little bit of proper England, would appeal PM me. I live 7 miles from Brighton and you would be welcome.
Thank you so much. It sounds like Brighton might be the best choice for me, since my friend will live there. And if it's good enough for @Tincatinker it's good enough for me. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Quick tip. If you're going to Brighton make sure you fly into Gatwick which is halfway between London and Brighton. Stanstead to Brighton is nearly 100 miles!!!

There's lots of great walking on the North and South Downs or along the coast at Seven Sisters, assuming the British weather is playing ball, I'm sure @Tincatinker will have better local knowledge than me though.

Enjoy your visit to our (hopefully) fair isle.

Rob.

Quick tip. If you're going to Brighton make sure you fly into Gatwick which is halfway between London and Brighton. Stanstead to Brighton is nearly 100 miles!!!

There's lots of great walking on the North and South Downs or along the coast at Seven Sisters, assuming the British weather is playing ball, I'm sure @Tincatinker will have better local knowledge than me though.

Enjoy your visit to our (hopefully) fair isle.

Rob.
Thanks. I noticed that on the map. That means no RyanAir flight for me. Looks like EasyJet flies to Gatwick.

Dorpie is right on Gatwick, and Brighton is a great town for a short visit. May not be cheap though. The old town is neat, the pier, and you might enjoy The Pavillion, which is a fascinating place with a story from the Georgian era. In good weather the place is great. Once I was there the fog was so thick I could not see 10 feet.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you end up having to stay in London, the St Paul's Youth Hostel is not ridiculously expensive (or it didn't used to be)

I was able to get a flight from London to New York, where I'll meet my husband and visit our son, using my frequent flyer miles. I'll get an EasyJet or RyanAir flight to London. I'd like to spend a couple of days in the London area, as I've never been to the UK before. My flight from Heathrow is on August 16th, so I'm looking at arriving on the 14th. Central London hotels are eye watering expensive, and there's nothing in particular that I'm dying to see. Sightseeing can wait until a longer trip in the future. I would like a place with easy transport to the airport, and a nice walkable area. I'm open to ideas!
Also, I have one friend who lives in London, but she's going to be in Brighton on the days that I'll be there. Would that be a good option for a place to stay and soak in some British culture?

Thanks
There's a good train service to Winchester and a link to the airport from Reading on the way back. Winchester is a beautiful old cathedral city with lots of Pilgrim connections and beautiful walks along the river Itchen, especially to the Holy Cross Hospital which is still has a small community of Monks. Hope you can fit it in your time scale. Enjoy.

Hi @trecile, Try LSE Vacation rooms, or University Rooms London, also there is the Penn Club (online as are the previous two.) which was originally funded by the leftover Quaker donations for ambulances in WW1, not glamorous or modern but central and just around the corner from many stations and near the British Museum. Old world charm in a series of connected Georgian terraced houses. Price may seem high but includes breakfast which is very good. Be warned the place had no lifts on my last visit. If you don't mind being a little way out of the centre the Travelodge at Finchley Central is good with a very fast connection to central London from the underground (in this case overground) station just a five-minute walk from the hotel. I have stayed there several times and they offer good breakfast.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Trecile -

Can I convince you to spend your couple of days in the UK in London?

IMO, London is wonderful at any time of year but in high summer it's especially beautiful. There's so much to see and do apart from the well-known attractions. For example, each year the Museum of Natural History on the corner of Exhibition and Cromwell Road hosts the International Wildlife Photographer of the Year . The exhibition is outstanding and the stunning photography will have you glued in front of the photos and not wanting to leave. Within the Victoria & Albert Museum, opposite, is, IMO, the most beautiful cafe in London - it's the Proctor & Gamble Rooms cafe at the back of the museum - the larger room, which is HUGE - features gorgeous tiled walls and a massive chandelier, and the smaller room at the side features stencilled wall panelling by William Morris. Walking in Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens is a joy. As twilight is not until late you'll be able to make the most of the time in London.

The LSE Vacation rooms that SEB suggested above is a good choice. You can also book student accommodation at Imperial College, London, for a very reasonable cost - around £55 per night. There are a few choices - one being BEIT Hall which is next to the Royal Albert Hall and across the road from Kensington Gardens. You can walk everywhere in central London from this location. The Imperial College accommodation can be booked through Booking.com.

Enjoy every moment in the UK, wherever you decide to stay, and of course, Buen Camino!

Cheers from Oz -

Jenny

Thanks for the tips on LSE and Imperial College accommodations. I was just looking at those sites and they appear to be great deals! In fact so affordable that I would be able to add a third night/second day to my stay in London.

Thanks for the tips on LSE and Imperial College accommodations. I was just looking at those sites and they appear to be great deals! In fact so affordable that I would be able to add a third night/second day to my stay in London.

Hello @trecile, if you enter a stay for three nights on the University Rooms website for London you will then see more options. Some university/college accommodation is only available for three nights or more. I lived in London for many years so if you are unsure about a location send me a PM for info. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There’s a bit of competition going on here. If you’d like to do a bit of the Via Frangecina - in fact all of the UK VF while you are here PM me. Perhaps others forumites would like to make a day of it.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back