• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need to know?

N

nathanael

Greetings fellow pilgrims I am going to start my Camino on June 5th from Lourdes France to Leon. From there will go to San Salvador then to the Camino Primitivo, was wonder what the time element would be so I can make my airline reservations and a few days in Santiago and in Madrid.
Would greatly appreciate some feedback and any other suggestions. Thanks.
n. :roll:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you walk about 24km per day, from Lourdes to Puente La Reina will take you about 14 days.
Puente la Reina to Leon about 18 days.
Leon to Oviedo about 5 days and the Primitivo about 15 days.
52 days altogether.
Approximately June 5th - 27th July.

Sil,greetings and thanks for the info...this way I can make my reservations for Compostela and Madrid.
chao,
n.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Rebekah Scott said:
Word to the Wise: AJ was walking very hard and fast!

But not so hard nor so fast as the pim-pam girls: two Spanish women in their 30s on the Primitivo. Big hair, big hams, black lycra. Left me for dead.

pim-pam-pim-pam-pim-pam-pim-pam-pim-pam...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
AJ said:
Rebekah Scott said:
Word to the Wise: AJ was walking very hard and fast!

But not so hard nor so fast as the pim-pam girls: two Spanish women in their 30s on the Primitivo. Big hair, big hams, black lycra. Left me for dead.

pim-pam-pim-pam-pim-pam-pim-pam-pim-pam...

So, referring to my stuff on LTfit's thread (apolgies for hijacking your theme...)
How much were these supergirls carrying, and what shoes were they wearing?
This could become a PhD thesis.... :mrgreen:

Sojourner47 said:
So, referring to my stuff on LTfit's thread (apolgies for hijacking your theme...)
How much were these supergirls carrying, and what shoes were they wearing?
This could become a PhD thesis.... :mrgreen:

From memory they wore trainers and I would estimate their packs to be around 6 kg, certainly less than mine which was around 11 kg

it is quite common for people to walk 25k per day, and quite normal to carry 11kg (my son and I each carried about 10kg - including sleeping bag, extra footwear, water, and all gear needed) - 25k per day is easily walkable if you are in reasonable shape. Most important is good footwear, expect to have blisters, and possibly to need a day off if you're walking for a couple of weeks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am in shock as I have just been told there is no TGV to Bayonne to connect with my flight from Australia on 30th April. Seems weird as there is an afternoon one on Sunday 1st May.Why not Saturday??
Anyway my travel agent is booking me on an Easyjet flight to Bayonne on 1st May which will get me in to Bairritz at 325. How can I get to St Jean from there that day.
Also can anyone recommend an hotel near CGD airport and would there be any point in going into Paris for such a short look? Maybe I will be too shattered with jetlag anyway.
I thought I had everything arranged but now my head is in a spin.
Sorry for giving you my problems but any advice would be welcome.
Heather

camino07 said:
...TGV to Bayonne to connect with my flight from Australia on 30th April.

I don't understand! A quick search here: http://www.voyages-sncf.com/billet-trai ... ts?hid=XEU indicates five trains on the 30th of April, from 07h40 to 19h43 at around 85 Eurons, leaving from CDG airport. Some necessitating transfers. Indicate CDG2 in the search vice Paris.

camino07 said:
Also can anyone recommend an hotel near CGD airport

The cheapest near the airport, with free shuttle services:
http://www.etaphotel.com/fr/hotel-3515- ... ndex.shtml

I have used it many times. It's basic but clean, secure, cheap for Paris(around 50 Euros) and easy of acces. It also offers a substantial breakfast at a very low price and very early.

camino07 said:
How can I get to St Jean from there that day.

To Bayonne train station, catch the number 6 bus right from the airport. Then the train to SJPDP leaving around 18h00.

How's that?
Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Thanks for your info Jean- Marc
I am beginning to think I will use a different travel agent next time.
I am happy now as I have a Jetset flight booked and my French pilgrim friend will meet me at the airport and drive me to St Jean . I feel so spoiled.
I will book into the Hotel you mentioned near CDG and get over some of the jetlag. It is amazing how plans can be changed but work out better in the long run.
cheers
Heather

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Your trip sounds wonderful. Enjoy the trains!!

Hello Camino07.
Regarding your overnight in Paris.
On my first Camino, I had an overnight in London on my way to Biarritz/Bayonne.
Felt I should do a walking tour of London while I was there. It was nice, but I was anxious to start my Camino and felt like I was just filling in time.

Paris is a magnificent city. Trying to see it while preoccupied with the Camino won't do it justice.

Whether you just snooze off your jet lag, or pick one feature to see, keep it fun. You can't do it all in 24 hours.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Prior to walking our caminos a few years back, we did stop-offs and visits. We were miserable. Our minds were already on the camino and it was really difficult to redirect our attention. Now we feel better heading directly for the camino without interruption. Visits and diversions are for after our camino. Works better for us. We recommend it.

lynne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That's interesting. I'd actually rather see non-Camino-related places and people pre-Camino than afterward. I spent a few days in Chartres before my Camino and it was great--and very helpful for de-jetlagging. After walking, I wasn't at all in the mood for sightseeing.

Buen Camino!
Anna-Marie

Hi Anna-Marie -

:D Just goes to show that we are all wired differently, eh?
Vive la difference!

lynne

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
hi Heather, if you have time you could go to the St Jaques Tour (Tower) - all that is left of the St James Church in Paris where pilgrims congregated in medieval times. I think it was at some point covered in scaffolding, but don't know if it still is. Not sure where it is either - other than in central Paris somewhere - I have never been to Paris apart from the airport so not much help on that one. Enjoy, Janet

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for all the kind replies. I won't attempt to see anything of Paris on this short visit. I would rather wait until I had time to luxuriate in the many marvellous sights on offer.
Hopefully I can have a wander in the streets near the hotel I pick.
I identify with the folks who will be too preoccupied/excited to focus on anything other than thoughts of my camino.
Buen Camino
Heather

camino07 said:
Hopefully I can have a wander in the streets near the hotel I pick.

Heather,
forget it if you pick the one I recommended. It's located in an industrial park. The only things around are other hotels, a couple of restaurants and some warehouses. To be used only for a cheap quick turn-around.
Sorry, it's not very sexy!

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

lynnejohn said:
Hi Anna-Marie -

:D Just goes to show that we are all wired differently, eh?
Vive la difference!

lynne

Hi Lynne,

How did I know you were Canadian even before looking at your country? :D

Vive la difference, indeed.

Anna-Marie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Regarding places to stay in Paris, I have often mentioned the web site http://www.hostelworld.com on this forum because I had such a wonderful time at the hostel I picked in Porto with its help. Heather, if you are not wanting to do the hotel search, check out that website. I believe some of the hostels have private rooms and they prices are very reasonable. eh! :lol:

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back