• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need to ship a package to Le Puy! Help!

CHICAGOSTYLE

Time of past OR future Camino
VIA PODIENSIS TO SANTIAGO MAY 2017
My girlfriend and I will be starting our Le Puy to Santiago Camino at the end of next week. We have partnered with a Catholic non-for-profit called the "Parish Peace Project (PPP)" that focuses on non-violence initiatives here in Chicago. Our goal is to use our camino as a way to raise awareness for their good work and hopefully raise some funds for them.

As part of this, the non-for-profit had some shirts designed and made for us that list by name kids that have been killed here in the last 3 years and the names of young people that have signed up as peacekeepers with the PPP.

Problem is, there was a delay and the shirts won't be done until after I leave! This is such an important part of our mission because this represents the innocent victims and the peacemakers by bringing them on the pilgrimage with us.

I need some help finding a solution here. Where can I have something shipped in Le Puy? Would the pilgrims office potentially accept it, possibly the Cathedral, or maybe the post office would hold it for us?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

In Christ,

Tommy B.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Be careful of having things shipped from the US to France, duties may have to be paid, so be prepared to deal with French Customs.

Hey Baja,

How does that work? It's only going to be a few t-shirts so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Hiya, in this digital time and age you may want to consider to e-mail the design and have your T-shirts printed in France.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey Baja,

How does that work? It's only going to be a few t-shirts so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
It works like this: the clothing and equipment you bring with you as luggage are considered to be personal belongings as a general rule, and are exempt from customs and excise duties. Things that you send will not be considered this way, and will be subject to duties based on their commercial value. This would result in them being held by customs until they were cleared by whomever is receiving them paying the assessed duties. This happens in most countries. What differs in my experience is the value at which an obligation to pay duties is assessed. You would need to find out if the commercial value of the items were going to exceed the trigger level for France. If they didn't, it should be easy, and the items released to the postal service. Otherwise ...

Hey Baja,

Customs PLUS costs of declaration must be paid over the price of the T-shirts AND the shipping
It works like this: the clothing and equipment you bring with you as luggage are considered to be personal belongings as a general rule, and are exempt from customs and excise duties. Things that you send will not be considered this way, and will be subject to duties based on their commercial value. This would result in them being held by customs until they were cleared by whomever is receiving them paying the assessed duties. This happens in most countries. What differs in my experience is the value at which an obligation to pay duties is assessed. You would need to find out if the commercial value of the items were going to exceed the trigger level for France. If they didn't, it should be easy, and the items released to the postal service. Otherwise ...

French customs say this (in French):
http://www.douane.gouv.fr/articles/...-commercial-franchises-douanieres-et-fiscales

Shipments between individuals

The goods contained in items sent by an individual established in a non-member state of the European Union (third country), to another individual resident in France or in the European Union, are exempt from customs duties and VAT, provided that the value of the goods does not exceed EUR 45 and that they are imported without any commercial character (occasional reception for personal or family use and free of charge).

Beyond this value, you must pay the French customs duties and taxes in force.

As far as I am aware, the cost of transport is included in the value of the goods.

I guess this rule of exemption does NOT apply when the manufacturer ships the T shirts directly to France. However, if someone unpacks the T shirts in the USA, rolls them up and puts them in a box with a note and a towel, then sending used goods should not be a problem.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back