• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need to stop reading this Forum

Poshlloyd

Time of past OR future Camino
Sep 2013
I leave next Tuesday and I've decided to stop reading the forum now as its mostly just worrying me.
Every day I'm reading how there are no beds.
Every day I'm reading that you can't walk your own Camino because you need to plan for the people who get up at 5am or only walk 15km, and are taking all the beds by midday.
I keep on reading about people not acting in the spirit of the Camino.

I just want to get there now as my amazing journey is starting to seem a little less.

Hopefully a break from the forum will allow my preconceptions to equalise again and allow me to regain my excitement.

Rant over!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I feel exactly the same way...and I've done one Camino, I should know better.

From a historical point of view, there are no wolves, cutthroat bandits, plagues, risk of starvation on the modern day Camino. Only the risk of a few malcontent tourists and those can be ignored or avoided with the right mental attitude. Have a great time on your journey and I hope to do mine in the Spring.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pre camino anticipation mixed with trepidation seems to be a pilgrim norm! As for any test we have prepared and hopefully, we are prepared for what may come. All that remains is to let our journeys unfold and see how we meet each challenge. What will be will be. Only our actions/reactions are under our control. May we be wise.

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I leave next Tuesday and I've decided to stop reading the forum now as its mostly just worrying me.
Every day I'm reading that you can't walk your own Camino because you need to plan for the people who get up at 5am or only walk 15km, and are taking all the beds by midday.

I just want to get there now as my amazing journey is starting to seem a little less.

Hopefully a break from the forum will allow my preconceptions to equalise again and allow me to regain my excitement.

Rant over!
The less you know the better... that is my philosophy! The Camino will fall into place once you start! Buen Camino!

I stopped reading before I went in June....I hope you see this.When you get to an Alburgee,check in,get a bed, Ask for advice on the next stop,be nice, give compliments on what a nice place this is,etc.... then ask where you should stay, and then ask if they can help you and call ahead and reserve a bed for you.
We did that several nights,especially towards the end. Always had a bed and met some amazing people.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have done 6 different caminos and always ended up with somewhere to sleep , enough food:), nice people, never been robbed. If you are nice to others, you will have the time of your life. I wouldn´t have walked six times if the description of the camino made out of trying to control the future was the only option.

Bueb Camino, Roger

Rant over!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Rant over!
Same here , im leaving on Sept. 25th I jave never done such a thing in my kife and the more I read the more nervous i get . Am i gone make it , whats going t happen , the worring about it is making me more sick ..
Aida

I also was thinking the exact same thing... I leave mid Sept..... think i wll have a break from the forums also.. putting my head in ;)overdrive

""I just want to get there now as my amazing journey"""

Buen Camino
PoshLloyd

Wow i though i was the only one , i leave september 25th from st. Jean , im sooo nervous

I have done 6 different caminos and always ended up with somewhere to sleep , enough food:), nice people, never been robbed. If you are nice to others, you will have the time of your life. I wouldn´t have walked six times if the description of the camino made out of trying to control the future was the only option.

Bueb Camino, Roger
Thank you Rob for the kind words , as Im preparing myself to leave September 25 th , the worring is not helpful , I think I'm just gone leave it as it come and if I'm gone end up outside , oh well that would be an advature ,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can definitely over plan your Camino, so getting off the forum can be a good idea. That said, I sure planned and worried too much about getting a bed every night. We went in May/June this year and I worried every day about a bed but always got one. Next year we may do the Camino del Norte and I'm planning on taking a very small and light tent just in case.

As it is said, "the camino gives you what you need and takes away what you don't". I was usually one of the last to leave the alberque and always managed to find a bed. Enjoy the journey.

PoshLloyd ... if your reading this .. STOP IT! :)

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's a bit ironic but maybe not surprising that a forum designed to help people and give them some assurance can be the source of anxiety, not an antidote to anxiety. When I walked my first camino in 2000, there was no forum and I was plenty anxious, so maybe anxiety is a part of the deal when you sign up for the camino. In fact, I still have that skin-tingling anxiety every year, no matter how many times I do this!

Some of us thrive with a lot of information, some of us are paralyzed, some find that it spoils the fun. So to each his/her own and poshlloyd, buen camino. You'll probably find that the Camino is a lot like this forum -- people whose words you hang on, people whose words drive you away. The great thing about the Camino is that unlike my office, I can easily control who I walk and talk with! I think you've done the right thing for you, and hope you will report back when you return. Buen camino, Laurie

One of my most favorite pre-Camino memories was when a friend asked me if I was doing a lot of research beforehand, or was I going to just go and be 'surprised and delighted.' That was 2005, and this forum didn't exist, I didn't have a guidebook, and I didn't know what an 'albergue' or a credential was. All I knew was that I was headed to Pamplona via Barcelona, and I was to walk west.

If you feel you have all the facts and logistics sorted out, you can safely step away from the forum and enjoy the anticipation of your journey. Then come back when you return home and tell us all about it!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am very grateful for this forum. For over a year I have been reading posts and occasionally asking questions. I have learned a lot. We leave on Sept 1 and I think I am as prepared as I can be. I am trying to develop an attitude of accepting what comes my way. My knee has started acting up after we did two long training walks this past weekend and I developed a blister. I am going to back off on training for a few days and try to stay calm. I am going to Spain. I will walk as best I can. I understand about not overloading with details the last few days before leaving. I think I am there now too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
!

Poslloyd-- the thing is that it is far more likely that you will hear about the instances of discontent than the many, many, many instances of great camaraderie, daily discoveries, great friendships, conquered fears, physical victories. You will likely experienced those far more frequently than the ugly side of the Camino. I actually much rather get the real picture and prepare for it than be surprised.

I remembered getting to the Logroño Albergue around noon time and it had not opened yet. I was NOT going to stay there, I only wanted my credential stamped. A group of about 5 Spaniards came to me and pretty much "staked" a claim not very nicely at the door of the Albergue. I just smiled at them and moved on. There are situations where YOU come on top just by avoiding them. You have been made aware of some unpleasantness, plan accordingly. That's all.

Same here , im leaving on Sept. 25th I jave never done such a thing in my kife and the more I read the more nervous i get . Am i gone make it , whats going t happen , the worring about it is making me more sick ..
Aida
Please don't be put off by anything negative you might have read. Doing the Camino will be one of your most amazing experiences yet, and you will be wanting to go back for more the moment you get back home. We went in July and, although some of the albergues were, indeed, full, there were many others to choose from, often within a few yards. The cheaper ones always fill up quickly (naturally) but if there is a communal area, then mattresses are put down. We rode, so were fully prepared to ride on further if, and when, we were told that a place was full. If we had been walking, I suspect that we would have booked ahead each morning once we knew where we were likely to end up. This takes the pressure off you in so many ways and you can then get on with the job of enjoying your walk. You won't regret it, I promise.

I have recently returned from my second Camino, and I want to reassure you that there are ways to circumvent the crowds. You've read about those it seems, and I agree that it's time to put all those posts in the back of your mind, and get ready for the ride of a lifetime. Be lead by your body (very important), your mind and your heart. Be flexible and leverage all the resources at your disposal on the Camino (including booking ahead with the help of friendly hospitaleros/ras) , but also be ready for unexpected surprises, possible little detours or change of schedule, and loads of amazing encounters and breathtaking locations. Trust that the Camino WILL provide as long as you are willing to open yourself to unexpected opportunities! Can't wait to hear all about your trip on your return!
Buen Camino
Aldy (AKA Sylvie)
http://www.sylviehanes.ca

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We leave this Sunday - we have our flights in and out of Spain - train tickets to Pamplona and back from Santiago - will book a hotel for the night of our arrival - other than that God is in charge and we will walk where He leads us - where the Camino calls us - no schedule - no agenda - beds? who needs them :) - but I am sure they will be there when we are ready. Buen Camino

It seems that a little reflection on why I'm making this journey, and also the fact that I'm a really chilled guy, has calmed my mind and my excitement has returned in floods.

Some things I have been thinking about:

If I get wound up by people, be the change I want to see in them. Dissolve discourtesy by being polite and smiling. Invalidate those who refuse to help, by helping myself. Think not how am I gonna get a bed, but, does anyone need my bed more than me.

The worst case of sleeping on the ground with the stars above, is not actually a bad situation, but a little adventure!

I can't wait now. Bring on my journey! My adventure!

A pilgrim walks for 35 days, has a problem finding a bed where he wants, and says everything is full.

Fifty pilgrims say they have walked multiple times without having a problem. and suggest ways to deal with crowds.

New pilgrims panic when they ignore the fifty.

I suggest you take the good advice, and ignore the gripes!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Poshloyd; liked your last post....that's the spirit! I am doing my second Camino starting in Sept and have been following some of the blogs with a bit of trepidation. However, when I recall 2009, Sept and Oct , I had no problems ever finding a bed, people were great, weather was mostly good, and the overall experience was wonderful. Be flexible, easy, and take it as it comes....you will have a great time. See you on the trail!

We started our Camino from Pamplona on June 27th this year and got lost in Pamplona spending three hours looking for the post office. When we found the post office, it was less than a block away from the hostal we had stayed in the night before. I hurried my family down the road worried that we wouldn't have a place to stay. We rushed into the first albergue we found about 5K after Pamplona in Cizur Menor. We were the first ones there and I don't think the place filled up. We actually only ran into one albergue that was "Completo" prior to Villa Franca de Bierzo. After Villa Franca the game changes and crowds increased exponentially. As long as you are prepared and know what to expect, you should be fine. Plan for shorter days after Villa Franca. We managed to get beds every night after VFdB but did end up walking 40K through town after town where there was nothing. We learned our first day that to hurry with an attitude of scarcity was just going to get us into trouble! July is one of the busiest months of the year but not nearly as bad as it sounded from reading the no beds posts here! Have a wonderful time. You will see incredible things and meet cool people. And by the way, if you are ever looking for the Pamplona post office, it is about a block away from Hostal Bearan.

Rant over!
You could also choose to walk the Camino de Norte. I have just finished it, had a wonderful time and never found a full albergue until I joined the French route. Could not believe the number of people. I was so glad I tried the north route, peaceful and relaxing and never regretted keeping away from this route.

We met several perigrinos that had a small book with just the alburghees in it. That would have been helpful, you might check into that.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back