• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need to take hairdryer ?

BeeHodge

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2018
Hi all...I am getting ready to go in a couple of weeks and my sack isn't too heavy!! However, do I need to take a small hair dryer or would the municipal albergues provide it?

Thsvjs

Bee

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My hair was shoulder length on my first camino, and shorter on my second camino. I never used a hair dryer. A hair dryer may have come in handy once or twice when clothes didn't dry overnight, but I wouldn't have carried a hair dryer 850 km to use once or twice. I showered as soon as I arrived, in the early afternoon, so my hair dried on its own in the afternoon. Most days were warm and sunny (and I expect that the sun will shine on the camino again soon)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hmm.. Maybe consider drying naturally, it is sunny Spain after all. I wash my hair in the morning before breakfast, start walking and is all dry by 10am. Not to mention the damage you do to your your hair blasting it with a hair dryer. Just a friendly opinion.

My wife reckons she 'needs' a hairdryer. I'm packing a very small one. 282 gms.
I don't recall many places having them, only bigger Hotels.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My wife reckons she 'needs' a hairdryer. I'm packing a very small one. 282 gms.
I don't recall many places having them, only bigger Hotels.
You are a saint! My husband would fall over laughing if I ever suggested such a thing. (even though he laughed at me for weighing all my gear on kitchen scales). I cut my hair for the second Camino, so much easier and didn't get caught in my pack. Hardly ever washed it with shampoo, just kind of rinsed it more or less when I showered. The summer heat dried it in no time.

You are a saint! My husband would fall over laughing if I ever suggested such a thing. (even though he laughed at me for weighing all my gear on kitchen scales). I cut my hair for the second Camino, so much easier and didn't get caught in my pack. Hardly ever washed it with shampoo, just kind of rinsed it more or less when I showered. The summer heat dried it in no time.

We have all our gear spread out on the Dining table with some letter scales!
Everything is weighed to the gram!

It's surprising how weights vary and how light or heavy some things are.....
I found some great power adapters that weigh about 10 gms!

Pat wandered in with shampoo and lotion to add to the pile, and when I said 'you're carrying it then' she found smaller bottles :cool:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@BeeHodge no, municipal albergues will not provide hair dryers. Or soap, or towels, or sheets, or blankets - well some provide those flimsy paper sheets and some provide blankets. But don't count on it.

Private albergues may provide a few more amenities but I don't think I've ever seen a hair dryer. And they still won't provide soap or towels or proper sheets.

We are talking a basic place to sleep in a dormitory with bunks, nothing more. For those who cannot afford more expensive accommodation. If you are able to pay more then there are plenty of alternatives.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@BeeHodge no, municipal albergues will not provide hair dryers. Or soap, or towels, or sheets, or blankets - well some provide those flimsy paper sheets and some provide blankets. But don't count on it.

Private albergues may provide a few more amenities but I don't think I've ever seen a hair dryer. And they still won't provide soap or towels or proper sheets.

We are talking a basic place to sleep in a dormitory with banks, nothing more. For those who cannot afford more expensive accommodation. If you are able to pay more then there are plenty of alternatives.
I saw (and used) a hairdryer in the Albergue at Villatuerta (Casa Magica), and at Via Trajana in Calzadilla de Los Hermanillos, the owner brought me hers one afternoon and insisted I borrow it. They’re rare, but occasionally el Camino provides...

Haha!! Only if you use it in the washroom and not in the common rooms where people are still sleeping. :) Still, I do think it would come in handy to finish drying those socks that may not have dried overnight....
One of the beauties of the Camino, is that you don't have to do things like you do at home. At home, I blow my hair dry and straight-iron it, etc.... On the Camino, however, I would wash my hair in the afternoon and throw a hairband or a buff on it, and voila, au naturel hair, kinky/curly as it was!! Sounds silly, but giving up the act of having to groom my hair was very freeing!! Or, a friend of mine would get a weekly blowout as a treat to herself, so that's something you could consider, instead of taking a blow dryer.

Having said all of that, some folks elect to bring along a luxury item, so I would consider this one. A lady I know actually took a tea-set on her Camino, so whatever floats your boat.

Buen Camino!!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

We are talking a basic place to sleep in a dormitory with banks, nothing more. For those who cannot afford more expensive accommodation. If you are able to pay more then there are plenty of alternatives.
Yes - good point, @Kanga .
It may be good to be scruffy sometimes and be natural!!
Absolutely, @BeeHodge . It is! And it may be one of your camino revelations that natural and scruffy are not necessarily synonymous. Some of us have been brainwashed to believe that women need to be 'turned out' in a certain way to be presentable and it's absolutely not true. Needing to have styled hair (and to wear make-up, for that matter) are burdens you won't have to carry on the camino...freedom!

So funny: my bangs are cut long because I get a littkevpoof from the hair dryer at home. On the Camino my bangs are flat so I can barely see! I’m cutting them tomorrow. No hairdryers anywhere and I didn’t have the weight. My hair is long and I’m just in braids every day. My suggestion is practice surviving without a hair dryer for a week and see if your hair dresser can help you with a cut that will work with that.

So funny: my bangs are cut long because I get a littkevpoof from the hair dryer at home. On the Camino my bangs are flat so I can barely see! I’m cutting them tomorrow. No hairdryers anywhere and I didn’t have the weight. My hair is long and I’m just in braids every day. My suggestion is practice surviving without a hair dryer for a week and see if your hair dresser can help you with a cut that will work with that.
I just grew my bangs out before the Camino so that I could just pull them back with the rest of my hair. And I've found that I like my hair bangless. It makes it so much easier on the Camino and at home.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Great to hear different views... hair dryer stays home!! It may be good to be scruffy sometimes and be natural!!
One of the many glorious aspects about walking the Camino is learning how to let go of stuff like caring how you look. The whole beautification process becomes SO unimportant! I permanently let go of a bunch of it, even after returning, and wow! what a delight to have figured that out!

On the subject of long vs short hair on the Camino. My first Camino I had long hair and it was very easy to deal with - wash it, let it dry, tie it back (or braid). I normally wash my hair every few days - on the Camino I let an extra day or 2 go between washings. Easy. Second Camino my hair was shortish - not boy-cut short, but pretty short - and it was a serious hassle. Too short to tie back, too long to just "be", so I pretty much always had a hat on or a buff - otherwise it was a serious fright-wig. So my recommendation is to keep it long unless you are ready to go all in with really short hair.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I cut my hair so it was brushing the top of my shoulders. I towel dried and let it air dry. With the hot weather it dried pretty quickly. I would never even dream of taking a hair dryer. Just not needed.

I took a hair dryer with me on the Camino Frances but even with a transformer it burned out. My plan is to buy one in Porto the day before I begin walking. Granted a hair dryer is somewhat of a luxury but I’ll just feel more comfortable when I wash my hair. It’s worth the extra weight -for me anyway.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As much as I hated to do it I cut my hair short and didn't need a hairdryer. It was wonderfully freeing.

Imagine you're at home.
You've just taken a long, luxurious, hot shower and your hair is soaking wet.
Suddenly there's a power cut - what would you do?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Don’t worry about replies that suggest you are only thinking about how you look. It’s what makes you feel comfortable. There is no correct response here. If you have space and you’ll feel more comfortable then take one. Just consider the need for a dryer that is purchased in Europe.

Hi all...I am getting ready to go in a couple of weeks and my sack isn't too heavy!! However, do I need to take a small hair dryer or would the municipal albergues provide it?

Thsvjs

Bee

Carry a hairdryer? - crikey - I barely even used a comb..... but then I am male and had my hair cut a tad shorter than usual before i left home.

Seriously - do you really need a hairdryer?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thsvjs

Bee
Combination solar/wind powered dryer is best - weighs nothing, works away from a power point, and is noise-free...

Last edited:
Roughly 60 years ago I spent a year in Tahiti, Fidji and Tonga. I arrived with long hair but quickly learned to never wear polyester in a such a climate and how to cut my hair very short. ...Since then I drip-dry.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In the event this thread inspires more people to bring a hairdryer, I provide a bit of caution for the 120vac pilgrims (Looking at you North America). Hairdryers, unlike most of our more complex electronics like laptops and phones, are very rarely dual voltage. This means that an ordinary plug adapter will not be enough to make it work, and the extra components that you would need would make it impractical and heavy.

You would do better to buy a small one here at any electrodomestico shop.

In summertime (May-September) there is no need for a hairdryer in your pack. Just rub your hair dry, comb it and then let it dry in the air.

@starcmr if you are looking for general advice about hair dryers, then I am sure you would find better help from the amazingly beautiful and well groomed citizens of Buenos Aires.

If you are specifically looking for advice as to what to bring on camino, it depends on whether (a) you intend to have your luggage carried and (b) where you intend to stay. If you are carrying your own backpack and staying in albergues, the answer is likely to be "don't bother, let your hair dry naturally", or "whatever is lightest" or "whatever uses the least electricity". If you intend to get your luggage carried, but stay in albergues, then you still need to be conscious of electricity use because albergues operate on a shoestring. If you are staying in private more upmarket accommodation and hotels, then you will probably find they have hair dryers for your use.

Not sure if that helps. Regardless, you are sure to get responses from members of the forum who have actually carried a hairdryer. I have not.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
does anybody know of a decent rice-cooker you could take on the Camino
🙃
Here's an updated list of possibilities, in case the rice cooker OP wants to rethink leaving it at home.
There's one that only weighs 900 grams.
😉

Rice is an important staple for the majority of the world's population. And remember when someone asked if coconut water could be purchased along the Camino? It caused some acerbic responses, myself included. Now coconut water is available in almost every supermarket in Spain. Times change. We can't be stuck in the past.

We are getting off topic. The OP wants to know about hair dryers. @wisepilgrim has given helpful advice. (I do sound like my old school teacher. sorry).

Hair dryers -- a topic like backpacks and boots that comes up often.

As a man with short hair -- no issue. My wife choose to get a short haircut before both of her Caminos -- it has a few weeks to grow out if you don't like it too short. She choose the non-hair dryer mode, but suffered for what we call in the USA - 'hat hair'.

We we got in to Santiago we were staying in the Hotel Rua Villar (great location - highly recommend). On the way to room there was this exchange:

hotel employee: I can bring you a hair dryer today if you would like.
wife: No thank you.
hotel employee: I will bring you a hair dryer in a few minutes.
wife: No thank you.
hotel employee: I am bring you a hair dryer.
wife: Oh -- it is that bad?
hotel employee: You NEED a hair dryer. (while hurrying down the hall to retrieve the hair dryer)

The hair dryer was delivered with extra shampoo, conditioner, and towels. :)

I asked this question before on this forum and got attacked severely! LOL. I would only use it in the bathroom, away from sleeping pilgrims, but everybody freaked out and said I would be crazy to take one because it would be too loud. I actually thought it would come in handy for drying socks that maybe hadn’t quite dried from the night before but I was told off. Lol.

I asked this question before on this forum and got attacked severely! LOL. I would only use it in the bathroom, away from sleeping pilgrims, but everybody freaked out and said I would be crazy to take one because it would be too loud. I actually thought it would come in handy for drying socks that maybe hadn’t quite dried from the night before but I was told off. Lol.
Yes, it was three years ago in this very same thread. 😅
Haha!! Only if you use it in the washroom and not in the common rooms where people are still sleeping. :) Still, I do think it would come in handy to finish drying those socks that may not have dried overnight....
One of the beauties of the Camino, is that you don't have to do things like you do at home. At home, I blow my hair dry and straight-iron it, etc.... On the Camino, however, I would wash my hair in the afternoon and throw a hairband or a buff on it, and voila, au naturel hair, kinky/curly as it was!! Sounds silly, but giving up the act of having to groom my hair was very freeing!! Or, a friend of mine would get a weekly blowout as a treat to herself, so that's something you could consider, instead of taking a blow dryer.

Having said all of that, some folks elect to bring along a luxury item, so I would consider this one. A lady I know actually took a tea-set on her Camino, so whatever floats your boat.

Buen Camino!!

Thsvjs

Bee
I walk in winter and my hair is thick and three feet long. I use a 3 foot long microfiber towel to begin drying it after drying the rest of myself. Air drying does the rest. The towel works great for wringing a lot of the water out of hand washed clothes too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
4 people liked my previous post:

1625038661060.png

I tried and tried and tried, but I just can't see that as a compliment. 😢

I am a fussy about my hair. Always get it cut, hi-lighted and style it every day. I retired this year and with Covid I have stopped wearing makeup (what's the point with a mask) and have let my hair do it's own thing. I plan to continue to do that on Camino. It is so nice to just get out of bed and go without the fuss. I don't know if I will ever go back to my old ways.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have really curly hair. Regular hair dryers don't work for me, I need something that helps my volume without drying it out or increasing frizz. I came across this post about hairdryer types and found it very useful.
And how is this related to the Camino??

@mclare I’m having trouble understanding your posts. I appreciate that English may not be your first language but your questions and comments do not have much to do with the Caminos.
Are you interested in making pilgrimage to the bones of Santiago?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.