• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need travel advice Bilbao to SJPP and Santiago to Bilbao

Charlotte Lamp

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances Sept/Oct 2018
We are doing the Camino frances starting September 1. Have plane tickets round trip to Bilbao from Seattle. Need to get to SJPP on August 30. Also back to Bilbao from Santiago on October 16. Please advice how this is possible. Thank you for your info!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We are doing the Camino frances starting September 1. Have plane tickets round trip to Bilbao from Seattle. Need to get to SJPP on August 30. Also back to Bilbao from Santiago on October 16. Please advice how this is possible. Thank you for your info!
To go back to Bilbao you can take a train in the morning and be in Bilbao in the evening. It is a long trip but trains are ok in Spain. You can book on www.renfe.es 3-4 weeks in before or walk into the railway station in Leon on your way.
You can as well take a bus.
A flight is more expensive if you book a direct flight.

Going to SJPdP from Bilbao when you arrive you could take a bus from the airport to San Sebastian /Irun/Hendaye. From Hendaye train to Bayonne and from there to SJPDP.
From the busstation in Bilbao you can go to Pamplona and from there to Roncesvalles and SJPdP

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Catch the bus from Bilbao airport ( Bus A3247 ) they run every 20 mins, to termibus in Bilbao, then bus from Bilbao to San Sebastion, lots of buses daily, approx 2 hour journey, from San Sebastion bus to Biarritz airport approx 1 hour, then a simple bus 14 to Bayonne train station approx 15 Mins, then train to SJPP. Simple:) ?

Quick question why fly to Bilbao can you get to Biarritz instead would make life a lot easier ? Where is your connection flight from states to Europe or are you flying direct to Bilbao. ??

Last edited:
Here's another way to get from Bilbao to Saint Jean Pied de port - which is what I did:

Airport shuttle bus from Bilbao Airport to the central bus station (it's the last stop so you can't miss it).

Alsa bus to Pamplona, takes 2 hours. Buy tickets online in advance, or easy to do at the Alsa counter on the day.

Bus from Pamplona to SJPdP.

As for the return journey, check out your options on www.rome2rio.com

Hi there,

My journey from Bilbao to St Jean on Sept 12th 2017 was as follows :

Bus from Bilbao Central Bus Station (TERMIBUS : www.termibus.es ) to Bayonne (Baiona)
Departed Bilbao at 7am : arrived in Bayonne (Place des Basques) at 10am (bus company TRANSPORTES PESA)

www.pesa.net

From Place des Basques in Bayonne it was a 10 minute walk to Gare de Bayonne where I caught the noon train (12.01pm to be precise !) to St Jean Pied de Port (arrived at 1 pm) :

www.sncf.com/en/trains/ter

If travelling this way in August be sure to double check the times of buses and trains closer to the time.

Obviously if getting the 7am bus from Bilbao then this really means staying overnight in Bilbao the night before but it's a great City to stop in and I'd heartily recommend a stay over if at all possible.

I hope the above info is useful.

Travel well and BUEN CAMINO !!

P

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi there,

My journey from Bilbao to St Jean on Sept 12th 2017 was as follows :

Bus from Bilbao Central Bus Station (TERMIBUS : www.termibus.es ) to Bayonne (Baiona)
Departed Bilbao at 7am : arrived in Bayonne (Place des Basques) at 10am (bus company TRANSPORTES PESA)

www.pesa.net

From Place des Basques in Bayonne it was a 10 minute walk to Gare de Bayonne where I caught the noon train (12.01pm to be precise !) to St Jean Pied de Port (arrived at 1 pm) :

www.sncf.com/en/trains/ter

If travelling this way in August be sure to double check the times of buses and trains closer to the time.

Obviously if getting the 7am bus from Bilbao then this really means staying overnight in Bilbao the night before but it's a great City to stop in and I'd heartily recommend a stay over if at all possible.

I hope the above info is useful.

Travel well and BUEN CAMINO !!

P

Looks good Peadar did not know a bus went from Bilbao to Bayonne thats brilliant, which I had known that last year ended up changing in San Sebastion. Also be sure to check Holy Days and festivals as times are different.

Did the same journey as Peadarmac in 2014, except bus (work on rail track) from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.