• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need update on returning to Lisbon with bicycle from Santiago via Express or Regional trains

Sullykerry

A Humble Veteran
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Fall 2014
Caminho Portugues September 2015
I have researched several threads on the Forums and checked the RENFE information site to determine if bicycles (not in a case) are permitted. I plan to cycle from Lisbon to Santiago. I have the option of dropping my bike off in Santiago to be transported back by the bike rental agency for a fee or to take it back with me on the train.

The information on the Forum threads is a bit dated. I wonder if there has been any recent change of policy at RENFE or COMBOIOS de Portugal.

Thank you in advance.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you disassemble the bike, you can take it as luggage and won't be charged for it. If you aren't mechanically minded, bike shops in Santiago will disassemble and package the bike for you, I've seen 21€ quoted.

Without disassembling it it is possible to carry it for free to Vigo, and from there on the Celta train to Valença. In Valença no train allows the transport of bikes because they are not equiped to take them.
In Porto, the "regional", "urbano" and "intercidades" allow the bikes with restrictions. Some trains operating at certain times won't take them. Intercidades you must reserve the ticket.

It has been a no-end of fustration for portuguese bike pilgrims this issue of returning with the bike. CP has not altered their carriages to accomodate bikes despite the fact that there are a huge number of clients who would rejoice in this.

There are bus services which will take you to Porto from Santiago, with the bike, for a fee.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back