• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need your help please.....I'm new :-)

Mars R

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances done March 2014
Hi Everyone,

Myself, my three sisters and my mom are walking the Camino in March this year.

I am in charge of making the travel arrangements. I know you most probably are sick of the same questions – this one most likely being asked the most! But your advice and guidance will be much appreciated – as planning this trip is very overwhelming!

From what I can gather from the info on here already is the following:

It seems that the best way to travel from Paris CDG to SJPdP is to get on a train from Paris CDG to Bayonne.

My questions:

From Bayonne we should take a bus? Or is there another train to SJPdP?
How long does this travel time take?
It’s only the slow train TER that goes directly from Paris CDG to Bayonne?
The fast train TGV goes to Bardeaux, but it seems complicated – as there are a few changeovers?

ALSO,

When we get to Santiago, what now? How do we get back to Paris?

Help please!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
1. Your best option from Bayonne to SJPdP is TER #62 train. I have not found any information about bus service from Bayonne to SJPdP (which does not mean it doesn't exist). (note ... sometimes the TER train is replaced by a bus)
2. Its all day from Paris to SJPdP ... variations depend on schedules of particular trains. If you arrive at Paris midday you may need to plan for overnight in Paris, Bordeaux, or Bayonne.
2a. There are flights from Paris Orly to Biarritz (the closest airport to SJPdP) ... its not really a time saver because of shuttle across Paris and airport processing but it might work better depending on your timings.
3. The trains from CDG to Bayonne are schedule dependent ... some are TGV, some are the slower TER trains. Sometimes the connections include both. You'll have to check the SNCF site for information pertaining to your timings.
3a. There is more frequent service from Paris Gare Montparnasse.
4. Some trains go direct from Paris to Irun/Hendaye (stopping in Bayonne) More often transfers are required at Bordeaux and sometimes at Dax. Its not complicated ... usually its a matter of crossing between platforms with minimal wait times.
5. Santiago to Paris ... options include going to Vigo airport where there are direct flights to Paris. Some people have had success flying from Santiago to Barcelona or Madrid and connecting onward to Paris. Another option would be train Santiago to Barcelona or Irun/Hendaye with Renfe and Barcelona or Irun/Hendaye to Paris with SNCF.

Spains Airports - each airport has destination and airline information
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee...s/en/Page/1237548207921//Airport-Network.html

Biarritz Airport
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

Renfe (Spains train)
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How long does this travel time take?
It’s only the slow train TER that goes directly from Paris CDG to Bayonne?
The fast train TGV goes to Bardeaux, but it seems complicated – as there are a few changeovers?

Welcome to the forum!
The best site I've seen to check TGV trains in France is:
voyages-sncf.com/
Having checked that site I saw that this part of the trip takes 6-7 hours with one change in Bordeaux, all by TGV.
Another option is to go first to the Montparnasse station in Paris (train, metro or bus). The taxi might cost 50-60euro and takes about 45 minutes (http://www.worldtaximeter.com) From there is a direct train TGV to Bayonne in 5 hours, and it seems to be much cheaper then the ones form CDG too.

Last edited:
For trains in both Spain and France, I found that www.raileurope.com seems to have better information, and the search engine is more user friendly (at least in English) that either Renfe or SNCF. In fact, if you tell SNCF that you are from North America, it defaults over to Rail Europe's site.

This aside, if you are flying from the U.S. or Canada I suggest you consider buying an "Open Jaw" ticket. You fly from North America to Paris (CDG) then use this information to get to St. Jean Pied de Port:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/a-compendium-of-useful-links-for-travel-paris-to-sjpdp.23274/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed: PilgrimageToSantiagoDeCompostela (Camino de Santiago de Compostela)

(Copy and paste this whole thing into your web browser address bar)

Following your arrival at Santiago, take the ALSA bus or a Renfe train to Madrid. Fly from Madrid (MAD) to your U.S. starting place. This basic outline should also work for our Canadian friends too.

If you are booking online yourself, look for a "multiple-cities," or "multiple-destinations" option next to "Round Trip," and "One-Way." Then enter the two discrete flights (e.g. LAX to CDG then MAD to LAX). The "Open Jaw" concept has been around for many decades in the air travel industry and it is an accepted practice. So most airline databases are set up to price it directly online.

In my direct experience over 35 years traveling globally, the difference in ticket prices is far less than the effort and cost to return to the original landing place in Europe. Consider that, if you depart Santiago de Compostela in the morning, the earliest you can actually get a return flight to North America is the next day (morning - noon(ish) anyway. So, a night at an airport hotel, or nearby, is a given - and an expense. Madrid is relatively less expensive than the other options: Paris, London, Frankfurt, etc.). Plus, the ALSA coaches are very nice, inexpensive and direct.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
It looks like you have plenty of good responses to your questions already. So, let me offer you one non-travel related tip for making your Camino last a lifetime. You will meet some wonderful people along The Way. Reach out to them, make friendships, and GET CONTACT INFO. If I could change anything about my walk last spring, it would be to get contact info from all the terrific people I met. I do now communicate regularly with Camino friends from Ireland, No. Ireland, the UK, Canada and Brazil (I live in US) and I thrilled that I do. But, there were so many more that I wish I could still be in touch with. Walking the Camino de Santiago will expand your world. Revel in it. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks everyone for your advice! We'll be traveling from South Africa and will be doing the journey with an open mind and open heart!

We'll be flying in via Paris and depart via Barcelona!

Sooo excited! I'll probably have loads of questions still!

Xx

I flew Paris CDG to Biarritz with Easyjet which was very inexpensive. Because of late arrival at Biarritz it was necessary to take a taxi (Express Bourricot) to SJPP which was more expensive than my two flights put together. But if there are three of you sharing, the cost per person will be much more reasonable.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back