• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Needing help reaching SJPP from Toronto, Ont. Canada.

twocanucks

My mother and I are planning on walking the Camino in April of 2010. We are in the very early stages of planning our pilgrimage but are running into some technical problems with booking flights and such...I have been seaching flights from Toronto Pearson Internation to Biarritz Fra (from biarritz is there a bus or train to SJPP? Is there a simpler route to get to SJPP?) If anyone knows the most cost effective route from our location and would like to share, it would be greatly appricated...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Simple question first: from the airport you can take the bus to the train station in Bayonne (takes about an hour; if you're in a rush to make a train, then take a cab). :)

As for getting to Biarritz, most go through Paris & then take the train. You can also fly from CDG to Biarritz on Easy Jet or transfer to Orly & fly Air France if you can catch one of their really really really cheap fares (as in $36 US all in).

Kelly

Hi! from another Canuck,

One of the easiest and cheapest ways to do this is to go TO-Paris return with:

http://www.airtransat.ca/en/Home.aspx

Then, Paris-SJPDP by train, starting right at the airport (Write CDG2 as starting city):

http://www.tgv.com/EN/index_HD.html

At the end, return to Paris from Santiago with this low-cost airline:

http://www.vueling.com/?language=EN

Spend a night in Paris at this low-cost hotel (free shuttle from and to the Airport):

http://www.etaphotel.com/gb/hotel-3515- ... ndex.shtml

That's what I have done in the past and it worked just fine.
Enjoy your trip,
Jean-Marc

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For a little bit more, you can stay at the Ibis CDG Terminal, walking distance from T3 & short train ride away from T2 & the RER station, in case you want to take a quick jaunt into Paris for the day. :)

For a whole lot more, you can book the Sheraton that is IN the airport itself. But the rates are :shock:

Just make sure you book the CDG Terminal one; there are several Ibis hotels labelled "CDG," but this is the only one that is on the airport site itself. No need to worry about catching a shuttle. :)

Also good for getting over jet lag & flying out the next morning on the 7am Easy Jet flight to Biarritz. :)

Kelly

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
And from yet another Canuck... I have started from SJPP three times in April - once I flew to Paris then Biarritz, once to London then Biarritz and once to Amsterdam - and yes - to Biarritz (what can I say - I like the place!).
Yes there is a train from Biarritz to SJPP. It's about a ten minute trip to Bayonne where you change trains to get to SJPP. Small stations though and easy to accomplish.
If you have to overnight in Biarritz there are lots of two star hotels that are quite inexpensive. There's also a hostel within walking distance of the train station that I found very pleasant and the price includes a decent (cold) breakfast.
Just FYI in case this would work for you, I took an early train from Biarritz to SJPP arriving at about 10:30 I think. After going to the Pilgrims Office to get my pilgrim's passport and buying a few supplies for the trip over the hill, I walked up the first and second times to stay at a private auberge in Hunto and the third time at Orisson. If you want to stay at Orisson be sure to make a reservation as early as you can by email from their website (at least a month in advance) because there aren't many beds and they do get filled up quickly. The price of the bed includes dinner and breakfast and is a great way to get to meet other pilgrims. And incidentally - the Pilgrim's office has offered to phone up to the albergue for me each time to make sure there is room and so they will expect me.
The benefit of doing this is that you take a nice bite out of the hill and have a head start for the next day over to Roncesvalles.
Buen camino
Cecelia

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back