• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Needle disposal

CarlG

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked in 2010 from Sarria. I plan to walk again this year from Sarria too.
I have to take weekly injections and I would bring my supplies with me.

Does anyone know how to dispose of needles/syringes on the camino once used?

Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
SYates' suggestion is right on. Not to belabor the obvious but be sure to place needle in barrel of the syringe hub first so there will not be a possibility of the needle working it' way through the opening to the barrel of the syringe. If the needle is an integral, non-removable,part of the syringe or the barrel is very small then the only way to be safe unless you have an approved syringe disposal container or are next to one when used is to try to very carefully recap it. This is not viewed as a safe practice here in the US. If you stick yourself with your own needle no concern re blood borne pathogens however.

SYates' suggestion is right on. Not to belabor the obvious but be sure to place needle in barrel of the syringe hub first so there will not be a possibility of the needle working it' way through the opening to the barrel of the syringe. If the needle is an integral, non-removable,part of the syringe or the barrel is very small then the only way to be safe unless you have an approved syringe disposal container or are next to one when used is to try to very carefully recap it. This is not viewed as a safe practice here in the US. If you stick yourself with your own needle no concern re blood borne pathogens however.

Hi there,

No worries on the safety of it all as I am a Nurse here in Canada and yes recapping is not suggested! I appreciate all the help and tips.

Thank you!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I know this is an old thread but... I recently started a medication that requires a daily subcutaneous injection. I use a pen injector -- like an insulin pen. I am inferring from the posts above that as long as I safely store my used needle tips, I can dispose of them at pharmacies along the way. I am planning to use a small hard plastic container (an old pill bottle) for storage along the way rather than a heavier/bulkier travel sharps container. I will clearly mark my container.

Here are my questions -- Will my makeshift sharps container be acceptable or do I need something more official? Also, will I be able to dump my container out and reuse it, or will I have to dispose of the whole container?

As an aside, I have really looked online for the EU/Spanish rules for sharps disposal. Other than finding out that needles are excluded from the SIGRE compact and that pharmacies are the designated disposal sites for medicines and medical waste, I can't find anything!

Thanks in advance!

LizB

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As an aside, I have really looked online for the EU/Spanish rules for sharps disposal. Other than finding out that needles are excluded from the SIGRE compact and that pharmacies are the designated disposal sites for medicines and medical waste, I can't find anything!
I used to take migraine-pens. Those pens did fit into a toothbrush-box, even after discharging.
It's a PITA while travelling, try to get a doctor's note or your prescription.

Here are my questions -- Will my makeshift sharps container be acceptable or do I need something more official? Also, will I be able to dump my container out and reuse it, or will I have to dispose of the whole container?
Most Farmacia sharps bins will have flip-tops that would enable you to shake-out your container & carry on. But, ain't there always a but, usage will be down to the responsible individual in any given Farmacia.

If your Spanish is as fluent as mine I'd carry a laminated card describing what you are trying to achieve and, a couple of spare containers

I know this is an old thread but... I recently started a medication that requires a daily subcutaneous injection. I use a pen injector -- like an insulin pen. I am inferring from the posts above that as long as I safely store my used needle tips, I can dispose of them at pharmacies along the way. I am planning to use a small hard plastic container (an old pill bottle) for storage along the way rather than a heavier/bulkier travel sharps container. I will clearly mark my container.

Thanks in advance!

LizB
Are you aware of needle-clipping devices?

"The BD Safe-Clip™ needle clipping and storage device enables you to safely and easily remove insulin syringe and pen needles, retaining them within the clipper.*"

This is aimed at insulin users but might work for your medication. The clipper can store 1,500 used needles...
I wonder if it would "pass" at security if you have no hold baggage?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks @mjal ! This needle clipper looks great! I am so totally new to taking injections that I’m not aware of half the things out there to help with the process!

I have one question for you. I use a tiny screw on needle that has two points — one that jabs into me and the other, inside the cap but still exposed, that goes up into the injection pen. I don’t see how I would be able to clip the injection pen end of the needle with these clippers. It that necessary? It is recessed into the cap. But I think it could nonetheless prick someone. Do you know what the rules are?

Thanks!

LizB

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.