• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Needs, wants & desires

Time of past OR future Camino
2022 via Camino Frances, 2024 Camino del Norte
I don't know about you, but this is what happens to me: I stumble towards my goal only after realizing a bunch of people before me have already stumbled, braced themselves, dusted off and dashed to the same goal: Hiking the Camino from SJPP. I've watched videos (excellent ones at that), found this site, bounce from thread to thread and what was once a how-hard-can-it-be attitude morphs into a this-could-require-more-thought...a lot more.

My 1/2 baked plan is to begin on October 1, 2022 and I would like some guidance from those of you who have traveled this path before me.

1. I need a travel service that will point and shoot me in a daily direction taking my bags to the next destination. Do any of you have recommendations? Disclosure: I am on a world tour and while I am traveling with very little on my back considering the scope of my endeavor it is surely too much to carry on the camino, which leads me to my next question.

2. I'm grasping that many people send their "extras" to Santiago so at what point do you do that? I'm not so daft that I don't understand the concept of mailing a bag it's just that I'm gathering there is system to it that I'm not getting. I most definitely want to hike with as little as possible.

My desire is to join in on the good will of those on the camino and to keep the load light.

Much thanks in advance for any recommendations,

Jessica

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Jessica, It's quite simple.
And it's a very common question.

One easy option, that I have done. And I do it at the start!

On reaching St Jean, send your 'World Tour' bag to Santiago via Express Bourricot.
Their office is a few doors down from the Pilgrim's office in St Jean.
70 Euro https://www.expressbourricot.com/luggage-transport/

If using the postal service you would need to lug all your gear as far as Pamplona to mail it.
(thus avoiding International mailing)
So this is an easier option in my mind.

Then 'travel' light with a small back pack.

Sure you could use a transport service each day to transport excess gear, but the Logistics will become a pain in the butt. And it means you have to confirm your destination every day early, before you set out.

I'm sure others will have lots of other options.

"I need a travel service that will point and shoot me in a daily direction"
You'll fast realise that you don't........and will be glad you didn't.
It's a very constraining way to walk a Camino.

I agree with Robo. Send your excess through Express Bouricott from SJPDP or if you start in Spain, mail excess to Ivar in Santiago who runs this forum.

If you need daily bag transport for the rest, do that separately. There are several reliable services, as the winter sets in some of those are limited, but I think in October you will be fine.

Use a guidebook or an App to locate where you want to stay. It is not an isolated experience on the Camino Frances. There are some good tour operators, but most people manage well on their own without their help. In October you should have no trouble locating a bed, but do be aware of holidays which can cause pinch points in some communities.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Realize that most baggage companies end transport November 1st…except from Sarria to SdC. To book it yourself go to

If you get on Gronze.com They have the entire route, mileage, and altitudes. Book the first few nights immediately! One well known guide book you can easily order is
It gives you the maps and distances, etc.
It points you in the right directions, and you will save lots of money.

if you use https://www.booking.com/ you can book private albergues and hostels, hotels and casa rurals for the entire journey.

Starting October 1 the route from SJPdP to Pamplona will still be pretty busy! Suggest you book yourself that far. Give yourself a couple of nights to rest before starting. Stop
The first night at https://refuge-orisson.com/
contact them ASAP as they will fill up. You need to book directly with them!

Reservations from Roncevalles to Pamplona are tight as well. Decide about how many kms you can walk daily - not only walking uphill, but walking downhill from Roncevalles can be a challenge. Start slow. If you are not sure sure about your fitness, Lengthen-the walk from Roncevalles to Pamplona from 2 days to 3. By then you will have a good idea of how far you can walk and likely be able to book a day or two ahead.

Nevertheless, if after reading this thread you still want to book with a company, I wish you a great time!

How do you intend to get toSJPdP?

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Met lot of people traveling else where after the Camino. They just send excess to Santiago and walk from SJPDP with basic items needed for the Camino. No reason to hire anyone to haul your pack and no reason to pre-book.

I arrive in SJPDP on Sept. 20th. and have a reservation at a small hotel - Les Chemins d'Elika. I intend to use a service to send my back pack on to my next hotel/hostel/etc. - I have a reservation each night. Can I assume that this service is readily available and I can take advantage once I arrive or do I need to do some pre reserving?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I arrive in SJPDP on Sept. 20th. and have a reservation at a small hotel - Les Chemins d'Elika. I intend to use a service to send my back pack on to my next hotel/hostel/etc. - I have a reservation each night. Can I assume that this service is readily available and I can take advantage once I arrive or do I need to do some pre reserving?
The pack transport companies have information and payment envelopes in most albergues. The hospitalero can help you.

Hi Jessica, It's quite simple.
And it's a very common question.

One easy option, that I have done. And I do it at the start!

On reaching St Jean, send your 'World Tour' bag to Santiago via Express Bourricot.
Their office is a few doors down from the Pilgrim's office in St Jean.
70 Euro https://www.expressbourricot.com/luggage-transport/

If using the postal service you would need to lug all your gear as far as Pamplona to mail it.
(thus avoiding International mailing)
So this is an easier option in my mind.

Then 'travel' light with a small back pack.

Sure you could use a transport service each day to transport excess gear, but the Logistics will become a pain in the butt. And it means you have to confirm your destination every day early, before you set out.

I'm sure others will have lots of other options.

"I need a travel service that will point and shoot me in a daily direction"
You'll fast realise that you don't........and will be glad you didn't.
It's a very constraining way to walk a Camino.
Thank you Robo for taking the time to answer. It seems to me that there would be no problem mailing my "World Tour" bag from Spain since I've loosely decided that I will arrive in Madrid before the Camino. This may fall into the Dumbest Question Ever Category and here goes: Where am I sending it?
And....to tug at that thread a little more if I were to "travel light" that would mean buying a small pack so then I would have to mail really almost everything I have so is there a limit to what can be sent and stored that you know?
Again, much thanks for your expertise, Jessica

I agree with Robo. Send your excess through Express Bouricott from SJPDP or if you start in Spain, mail excess to Ivar in Santiago who runs this forum.

If you need daily bag transport for the rest, do that separately. There are several reliable services, as the winter sets in some of those are limited, but I think in October you will be fine.

Use a guidebook or an App to locate where you want to stay. It is not an isolated experience on the Camino Frances. There are some good tour operators, but most people manage well on their own without their help. In October you should have no trouble locating a bed, but do be aware of holidays which can cause pinch points in some communities.
Thank you for that. After reading the comments it seems like what I think I need may just be what I think I want and I don't know what I want because I don't understand my needs. Is that clear as mud? A guidebook may be in order. Thanks again

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you Robo for taking the time to answer. It seems to me that there would be no problem mailing my "World Tour" bag from Spain since I've loosely decided that I will arrive in Madrid before the Camino. This may fall into the Dumbest Question Ever Category and here goes: Where am I sending it?
And....to tug at that thread a little more if I were to "travel light" that would mean buying a small pack so then I would have to mail really almost everything I have so is there a limit to what can be sent and stored that you know?
Again, much thanks for your expertise, Jessica

You send it here :)

Yes, you would need a small back pack to carry your Camino stuff.

Realize that most baggage companies end transport November 1st…except from Sarria to SdC. To book it yourself go to

If you get on Gronze.com They have the entire route, mileage, and altitudes. Book the first few nights immediately! One well known guide book you can easily order is
It gives you the maps and distances, etc.
It points you in the right directions, and you will save lots of money.

if you use https://www.booking.com/ you can book private albergues and hostels, hotels and casa rurals for the entire journey.

Starting October 1 the route from SJPdP to Pamplona will still be pretty busy! Suggest you book yourself that far. Give yourself a couple of nights to rest before starting. Stop
The first night at https://refuge-orisson.com/
contact them ASAP as they will fill up. You need to book directly with them!

Reservations from Roncevalles to Pamplona are tight as well. Decide about how many kms you can walk daily - not only walking uphill, but walking downhill from Roncevalles can be a challenge. Start slow. If you are not sure sure about your fitness, Lengthen-the walk from Roncevalles to Pamplona from 2 days to 3. By then you will have a good idea of how far you can walk and likely be able to book a day or two ahead.

Nevertheless, if after reading this thread you still want to book with a company, I wish you a great time!

How do you intend to get toSJPdP?
Thank you so much for such a nice reply. The consensus is to dump any idea of an agency and baggage haul and just mail my bags and do the rest myself with a day pack.

You say that from October 1 the route will be busy and to get set until Pamplona, which I will do ASAP-ish, but then what do you anticipate happens after Pamplona?

I haven't given much thought to how I will get to SSPP - train from Madrid? Or maybe a bus from Biarritz?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Maybe you need bag transport for some reason, but what do you mean about "a travel service that will point" you in a daily direction? What additional service are you needing?
I have been on the road for a little over two years and I am good about keeping my load light (but not hiking light) so I hadn't opened to the idea of buying a day pack, but that seems to be what may work best. Before I asked the questions on this thread I thought I would need a company to transport my bags because they are too heavy for daily long hours of hiking - they just aren't made for that, so in my ignorance I thought it would be best to have a company collect my bag daily, transport it to a hotel and pick it up the next day leap frogging until I've reached Santiago. The expertise on this site is a hard "Yaa. No" and I appreciate it.

You say that from October 1 the route will be busy and to get set until Pamplona, which I will do ASAP-ish, but then what do you anticipate happens after Pamplona?
I don't think that finding accommodation in October will be difficult, but it may make it easier if you book the first few days.
You can split the first stage over the Pyrenees by staying at Orisson or Auberge Borda. Both require reservations.

After Pamplona there are more intermediate towns and the pilgrim traffic spreads out.
I haven't given much thought to how I will get to SSPP - train from Madrid? Or maybe a bus from Biarritz?
You can take the train to Pamplona and then bus or taxi to SJPdP. From Biarritz you can use Express Bourricot.
Or you may want to start walking from Pamplona.

There are many threads on how to get to your starting point here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/🧳-traveling-transport-to-from-along-the-camino.19/

Last edited:
I have been on the road for a little over two years and I am good about keeping my load light (but not hiking light) so I hadn't opened to the idea of buying a day pack, but that seems to be what may work best. Before I asked the questions on this thread I thought I would need a company to transport my bags because they are too heavy for daily long hours of hiking - they just aren't made for that, so in my ignorance I thought it would be best to have a company collect my bag daily, transport it to a hotel and pick it up the next day leap frogging until I've reached Santiago. The expertise on this site is a hard "Yaa. No" and I appreciate it.

The pack size will depend a lot on the accommodation types you plan to use.

For example my wife carries a 22 L pack which is ample for her.
I carry a 34L. But when walking together we use private rooms so no need for sleeping bags, towels and so on.

On my own, using Albergues and being totally self sufficient, with sleeping bag etc, I still manage with 34L.
I could probably cut to 28 L if I had to.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I don't think there has been an answer to what 'travel service' might help you, although I think @C clearly has asked you to clarify what your thinking is on that.

Without prejudicing your response to her inquiry, I think a couple of things might help.

First, there are both online resources and apps that lay out the path in various levels of detail, including some that can map out a daily walk schedule based on how many days you have available, or the daily distances you want to travel. A search like https://duckduckgo.com/?q=camino+planning+tool&t=chromentp&ia=web will yield a wealth of resources.

I have used the planner at https://godesalco.com/ both to check that some idea is achievable, and to do some detailed planning for the next few days. My other go to site is gronze.com, which has been becoming more like a fully fledged guidebook as the information it provides increases. The other 'essential' apps for me are whatsapp and the booking.com app. There are other IP telephony apps, but whatsapp seems to be used extensively, and there are other booking engines, but booking.com is used in conjunction with Camino specific sites like Gronze.

My other thought is that you may find that you will discover a group of like minded pilgrims, in the sense that they are doing the same distances, want to leave at the same time, and want to share the journey, and you will find yourselves working out where you want to get to over the next few days. My only caution here is to be mindful of your own limits, requirements for personal space, etc and not to compromise your camino.

And of course, there are plenty of forum members who are always willing to provide feedback on a proposed itinerary, packing list or the like.

And all the best. Buen camino.

I don't think that finding accommodation in October will be difficult, but it may make it easier if you book the first few days.
You can split the first stage over the Pyrenees by staying at Orisson or Auberge Borda. Both require reservations.

After Pamplona there are more intermediate towns and the pilgrim traffic spreads out.

You can take the train to Pamplona and then bus or taxi to SJPdP. From Biarritz you can use Express Bourricot.
Or you may want to start walking from Pamplona.

There are many threads on how to get to your starting point here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/🧳-traveling-transport-to-from-along-the-camino.19/
Not sure exactly when you will start, but Albergue Borda was already full the first few days in Oct. …of course they might have cancellations. Do contact Orisson ASAP, it will be in a shared room with several other bunks.

Definitely book till Pamplona. When you arrive in Roncevalles, I would start monitoring , or assessing need for reservations beyond Pamplona, according to how far you think you can go and availability of accommodations at that point.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Met lot of people traveling else where after the Camino. They just send excess to Santiago and walk from SJPDP with basic items needed for the Camino. No reason to hire anyone to haul your pack and no reason to pre-book.
I'm telling you what, thank you - all of you are singing out of the same song book and I just have to get on the right page - I am not going to hire anyone and will send my bags to Ivar.
I don't think there has been an answer to what 'travel service' might help you, although I think @C clearly has asked you to clarify what your thinking is on that.

Without prejudicing your response to her inquiry, I think a couple of things might help.

First, there are both online resources and apps that lay out the path in various levels of detail, including some that can map out a daily walk schedule based on how many days you have available, or the daily distances you want to travel. A search like https://duckduckgo.com/?q=camino+planning+tool&t=chromentp&ia=web will yield a wealth of resources.

I have used the planner at https://godesalco.com/ both to check that some idea is achievable, and to do some detailed planning for the next few days. My other go to site is gronze.com, which has been becoming more like a fully fledged guidebook as the information it provides increases. The other 'essential' apps for me are whatsapp and the booking.com app. There are other IP telephony apps, but whatsapp seems to be used extensively, and there are other booking engines, but booking.com is used in conjunction with Camino specific sites like Gronze.

My other thought is that you may find that you will discover a group of like minded pilgrims, in the sense that they are doing the same distances, want to leave at the same time, and want to share the journey, and you will find yourselves working out where you want to get to over the next few days. My only caution here is to be mindful of your own limits, requirements for personal space, etc and not to compromise your camino.

And of course, there are plenty of forum members who are always willing to provide feedback on a proposed itinerary, packing list or the like.

And all the best. Buen camino.
Thank you for your thoughtful response. It really is interesting for me to recognize that I'm in the realm of I Don't Know and that I am also flexible enough to take thoughtful advice. Already my mind is changing and I see that more will be revealed; I thought I needed a travel company to haul my bags and I now will send my bags, buy a small pack and travel even more lightly than I anticipated...I think. I thought I "should" do the French Route and now it seems like maybe the Northern Route is more my jam. I see you are a seasoned pilgrim so do you have any insight on the two?

Not sure exactly when you will start, but Albergue Borda was already full the first few days in Oct. …of course they might have cancellations. Do contact Orisson ASAP, it will be in a shared room with several other bunks.

Definitely book till Pamplona. When you arrive in Roncevalles, I would start monitoring , or assessing need for reservations beyond Pamplona, according to how far you think you can go and availability of accommodations at that point.
Super advice, thank you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The pack size will depend a lot on the accommodation types you plan to use.

For example my wife carries a 22 L pack which is ample for her.
I carry a 34L. But when walking together we use private rooms so no need for sleeping bags, towels and so on.

On my own, using Albergues and being totally self sufficient, with sleeping bag etc, I still manage with 34L.
I could probably cut to 28 L if I had to.
Widespread Panic has a song that I love called Traveling Light and it's one of mottos - I mean if I could get what I need into a fanny pack I would do it! If your Lovely carries a 22L then that seems good enough for me. I really, really appreciate your advice.

I thought I "should" do the French Route and now it seems like maybe the Northern Route is more my jam. I see you are a seasoned pilgrim so do you have any insight on the two?
No. I haven't walked the Norte, and don't have personal experience on what it would take to successfully complete it that I could share with you. That said, there are times when it is worth listening to your heart, and making your head work on ensuring that what you set your heart on can be achieved.

. I thought I "should" do the French Route and now it seems like maybe the Northern Route is more my jam. I see you are a seasoned pilgrim so do you have any insight on the two?
I've done both and you can't go wrong with either option, it just depends on the kind of experience that you want.

The Camino Francés has more pilgrim infrastructure with small towns where the Camino is the primary focus.

Check out the Camino del Norte subforum for more information and insights

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That is a bit presumptive. There are probably reasons and it doesn't seem fair to simply dismiss them without understanding more.
Not really. Too many over think, over pack, and over worry. You could actually get by with nothing but "the shirt on your back" ... just like the original pilgrims. Spain is not a 3rd world country, and you can get anything you "need" along the way. The Camino provides.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't know about you, but this is what happens to me: I stumble towards my goal only after realizing a bunch of people before me have already stumbled, braced themselves, dusted off and dashed to the same goal: Hiking the Camino from SJPP. I've watched videos (excellent ones at that), found this site, bounce from thread to thread and what was once a how-hard-can-it-be attitude morphs into a this-could-require-more-thought...a lot more.

My 1/2 baked plan is to begin on October 1, 2022 and I would like some guidance from those of you who have traveled this path before me.

1. I need a travel service that will point and shoot me in a daily direction taking my bags to the next destination. Do any of you have recommendations? Disclosure: I am on a world tour and while I am traveling with very little on my back considering the scope of my endeavor it is surely too much to carry on the camino, which leads me to my next question.

2. I'm grasping that many people send their "extras" to Santiago so at what point do you do that? I'm not so daft that I don't understand the concept of mailing a bag it's just that I'm gathering there is system to it that I'm not getting. I most definitely want to hike with as little as possible.

My desire is to join in on the good will of those on the camino and to keep the load light.

Much thanks in advance for any recommendations,

Jessica
Is gronze.com in Spanish

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Widespread Panic has a song that I love called Traveling Light and it's one of mottos - I mean if I could get what I need into a fanny pack I would do it! If your Lovely carries a 22L then that seems good enough for me. I really, really appreciate your advice.

She is very small! So small clothes, and not much space required.

I would always check a suitable pack size, by throwing all my gear into a garbage bag, going to the store, and seeing if it will 'fit' into my chosen pack pack. What we choose to cart around in our pack varies :)

So excess luggage is pretty easy to deal with - once you are in Spain. In Spain - you can simply post it forward to either the post office in Santiago or to Ivan's Camino Store - also in Santiago (Ivan hosts this forum). If you mail your bag from outside of Spain - it can get stuck in customs. So - how are you getting to the start of the Camino - can you arrive in Spain - mail your bag from your arrival city in Spain - then make your way to your desired starting point? If starting in SJPDP - the nearest city is Pamplona.

If you are starting from SJPDP but not passing through to Spain first - you CAN mail it - just know you might have customs issues. OR - you can ask at the albergue for the luggage transport service - they give you an envelop (and you put money in the envelop and your personal info) and they will bring it to Roncesvalles for you... and repeat daily until Pamplona which is the first post office in Spain you will pass by. So - you would be repeating this service for 3 days and then you find the post office. Each albergue host can help you with this!

Travel services is not required to do this. Just ask at the albergues and they will help you get the envelops and tell you to drop your bag off in the lobby before 8am.

Finding accommodations is also very easy to do on your own without travel services. You can either walk until you want to stop and find an albergue using the guides and apps - or you can prebook yourself in advance, the night before, or even during your morning walk (I like booking in the morning on the day of arrival once I decide my distances - but sometimes I "wing it" too).

Or - you can look for a company that books ALL your accommodations and will transport your bag every day all the way to Santiago. They do everything for you - but you pay the $$$$ for the services. It is MUCH cheaper to do it on your own - and doing it on your own gives you a lot more flexibility and freedom. But - if you want a company to make all arrangements - that is definitely possible.

Also - don't know if this is an option for you or not... but I combine my Camino with several additional weeks of vacation. I personally plan my trips so I HIKE FIRST and therefore only pack what I need for the hike. Then I budget to buy a few cute outfits AFTER my Camino for the tourism part of my trip. Added bonus - instead of silly souvenirs - my "souvenir" is a few cute outfits from Spain that no one who lives near me own! I essentially only fill half of my 30L bag for the hike, and then come home with a full bag AFTER the Camino ends. So - I travel light for the Camino and don't have to worry about mailing stuff to Santiago to wait for me - and then I just buy the travel clothes while in Santiago or Madrid or elsewhere on my travels after hiking the Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So excess luggage is pretty easy to deal with - once you are in Spain. In Spain - you can simply post it forward to either the post office in Santiago or to Ivan's Camino Store - also in Santiago (Ivan hosts this forum).
Maybe autocorrect caught you out - it's Ivar, not Ivan. 😊
If you are starting from SJPDP but not passing through to Spain first - you CAN mail it - just know you might have customs issues. OR - you can ask at the albergue for the luggage transport service - they give you an envelop (and you put money in the envelop and your personal info) and they will bring it to Roncesvalles for you... and repeat daily until Pamplona which is the first post office in Spain you will pass by. So - you would be repeating this service for 3 days and then you find the post office. Each albergue host can help you with this!

The easiest way to send a bag from SJPdP to Santiago is to use the service of Express Bouricott.
No lugging it to a post office, and no transporting daily until Pamplona. You just go to Express Bouricott's office next to the Pilgrims Office in St Jean, fill out a form, pay the fee and they give you a tag for your bag, which they will pick up in the morning from your accommodation. When you arrive in Santiago it is waiting for you at a hotel/albergue that EB partners with for storage - and they will even give you a discount on a room. They have 24/7 reception so it's very easy to pick up on your schedule.

If you mail your bag from outside of Spain - it can get stuck in customs.
No. Only if it is posted from outside the EU will there be a customs issue. Posting from France, Portugal, or elsewhere in the EU doesn't result in any customs clearance that would delay delivery of a parcel, whether it is mailed or sent by some transport provider.

No. Only if it is posted from outside the EU will there be a customs issue. Posting from France, Portugal, or elsewhere in the EU doesn't result in any customs clearance that would delay delivery of a parcel, whether it is mailed or sent by some transport provider.
@t2andreo gave some information about what the problem is in an old post that starts with:

I am seeing the thread and advising against sending anything from Portugal to Spain, or from France into Spain, through the national post office systems. The reason is simple. Despite the harmonization effects of the European Union, each country continues to maintain a national mail system that treats these intra-EU shipments as international shipments.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Off topic a bit,@_zoro_ perhaps it's also a good time to reassess how much stuff you are taking with you on your world travels? While on a similar trip we had much of our gear stollen and were left literally with the clothes we were wearing and a small day pack each. As we were in a pretty remote spot at the time we couldn't replace our lost gear so spent the next 6 months with our reduced stuff. Even when we got back to shopping areas we stuck with our light loads as we'd realised how liberating it was to not be weighed down. It meant we could just walk off planes trains and busses, or choose to hike without worrying about coordinating stuff. My daughter also uses to one pack only policy for her travels and only taking what you can comfortably carry saves time worrying about lost baggage which is a bit of a problem in this day and age.

I suspect @t2andreo may be correct, and there may be elements of these arrangements through the post offices that others avoid by providing a direct service, eg SJPP to SDC. The time taken through the postal system is a quite different matter to having an item end up in a customs service warehouse waiting for any duties to be paid so it can be released. That doesn't happen for items that are despatched to SJPP from elsewhere in the EU, as was suggested in an earlier post.

Thank you for that
Off topic a bit,@_zoro_ perhaps it's also a good time to reassess how much stuff you are taking with you on your world travels? While on a similar trip we had much of our gear stollen and were left literally with the clothes we were wearing and a small day pack each. As we were in a pretty remote spot at the time we couldn't replace our lost gear so spent the next 6 months with our reduced stuff. Even when we got back to shopping areas we stuck with our light loads as we'd realised how liberating it was to not be weighed down. It meant we could just walk off planes trains and busses, or choose to hike without worrying about coordinating stuff. My daughter also uses to one pack only policy for her travels and only taking what you can comfortably carry saves time worrying about lost baggage which is a bit of a problem in this day and age.
Thanks for that - it's an ever present assessment for certain. I would only really be bummed out if I lost my passport, phone and credit card and, not that I want it to happen, if I were to lose all my stuff it's just not that big a deal. The extra pack I carry has a blender, supplements and a kettle bell and those items are not necessities just nice to haves since I don't want to look for a gym or smoothie shop as I wander around this planet of ours. The change of seasons really keeps me on my toes and obviously summer is super-duper light while winter is just plain heavier. It's not out of the question to chase warmer climates to keep the load light, but it would mean missing the Arctic Circle and Northern Lights...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Do you have a favorite App?

Hi @_zoro_

Are you also set about starting in San Jean? Because if you are arriving in Madrid, it may make your camino travels even simpler if you start in Pamplona. It's a valid starting point as so many others, and cuts the hassle of finding accommodation and deciding when to mail your stuff - you will be already in Spain anyway. And there are plenty of trains/buses from Madrid to Pamplona.

Now, if you feel like starting in San Jean or Irun (on the Norte), go for it! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do you have a favorite App?
Not a favourite app, but I like the Gronze website and the brierley books.
I have only walked the Frances and a tiny bit of the Norte while going down the Lebaniego, but both were very well marked. I only used the guides to help find places to eat and sleep.

Hi @_zoro_

Are you also set about starting in San Jean? Because if you are arriving in Madrid, it may make your camino travels even simpler if you start in Pamplona. It's a valid starting point as so many others, and cuts the hassle of finding accommodation and deciding when to mail your stuff - you will be already in Spain anyway. And there are plenty of trains/buses from Madrid to Pamplona.

Now, if you feel like starting in San Jean or Irun (on the Norte), go for it! :)
Arriving in Barcelona from Amman, buying a small hiking pack in the city (or waiting until I get to St. Jean?), shipping all my extras to Ivar and taking the train to France. I am so looking forward to carrying the minimum for a few weeks.

Thank you for that

Thanks for that - it's an ever present assessment for certain. I would only really be bummed out if I lost my passport, phone and credit card and, not that I want it to happen, if I were to lose all my stuff it's just not that big a deal. The extra pack I carry has a blender, supplements and a kettle bell and those items are not necessities just nice to haves since I don't want to look for a gym or smoothie shop as I wander around this planet of ours. The change of seasons really keeps me on my toes and obviously summer is super-duper light while winter is just plain heavier. It's not out of the question to chase warmer climates to keep the load light, but it would mean missing the Arctic Circle and Northern Lights...

That's an interesting one.
My Camino packing list remains the same regardless of season/weather.
Whilst I have not done a Winter Camino yet, I think the only things I would add, might be.
A warmer sleeping bag, maybe swop out to a warmer hiking shirt, and possible some lightweight 'long johns'. Might add 700 gms ish.

All my other stuff will 'layer' very well.

It's always a balance I think between
  1. Gear weight
  2. Convenience (daily laundry, having to 'layer' things)
  3. Making do. i.e. I don't carry short sleeve shirts. My long sleeves roll up magically! 🤔
Constant reflections on gear are fun......
Mine last till the day I depart!
And even then something extra sneaks in at the last minute :oops:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's an interesting one.
My Camino packing list remains the same regardless of season/weather.
Whilst I have not done a Winter Camino yet, I think the only things I would add, might be.
A warmer sleeping bag, maybe swop out to a warmer hiking shirt, and possible some lightweight 'long johns'. Might add 700 gms ish.

All my other stuff will 'layer' very well.

It's always a balance I think between
  1. Gear weight
  2. Convenience (daily laundry, having to 'layer' things)
  3. Making do. i.e. I don't carry short sleeve shirts. My long sleeves roll up magically! 🤔
Constant reflections on gear are fun......
Mine last till the day I depart!
And even then something extra sneaks in at the last minute :oops:
😎 My pack only sees variations of hues of black: The international color of international travelers.
If it were you would you wait until SJPP to buy a small pack or purchase it in Barcelona? I have one extra day in SJPP since I waited too long to make a reservation for the second day on the Camino. I know, I know - when all else fails try listening to veterans and actually following their advice. :rolleyes:

😎 My pack only sees variations of hues of black: The international color of international travelers.
If it were you would you wait until SJPP to buy a small pack or purchase it in Barcelona? I have one extra day in SJPP since I waited too long to make a reservation for the second day on the Camino. I know, I know - when all else fails try listening to veterans and actually following their advice. :rolleyes:

The only thing I would say, is that you will find a very limited range of gear available in SJPP.
There is Maya Sport.
And one small shop on the Rue de la Citadelle, (Boutique de Pelerin) in old town.
Not sure they even stock packs.......
I think that's it.
Maybe others can advise.

Last edited:
And one small shop on the Rue de la Citadelle, (Boutique de Pelerin) in old town.
Not sure they even stock packs.....
They do carry packs, and most anything you need, including the Altus rain coat/poncho.
You can also reserve items to pick up when you get there.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ya’ll!

I feel so grateful for the advice given. I sent my world travel bags to Ivar, I bought a 30 liter pack (I could have gone smaller and was looking for one smaller, but I had to go with what was available.), and adjusted my attitude to one of openness and am having an absolute dynamic and dynamite experience.
I am where my feet are. It is so fun to see fellow pilgrims that I saw a day or two before and the sense of camaraderie among us.
There’s a dude walking with his dog Kimba - that dog is so dedicated to her person and he to her- I love it!
I have a gratitude in my heart, a smile on my face and anticipation for what’s to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...
In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back