• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nerves....

domigee

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 CF
Hi all! I have noticed a bit of 'crankiness' on the forum lately and I may be one of the culprits for sure.....
I'm nervous. New pilgrimage very soon, lots of unknowns, the heat factor.....bla bla..... Leaving home and family, again, for weeks at a time! ....
Will I cope? Is my health/body /what -have -you up for this.... Etc etc
I wouldn't have it any other way of course but there it is.
So if you notice some answers are a bit edgy, spare a thought. Maybe the poster is going through some stress that we are unaware of.
(Please don't consider MY stress at all as it is self-inflicted and definitively a first world problem! :);)).
No, some people may be going through real stress :(

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all! I have noticed a bit of 'crankiness' on the forum lately and I may be one of the culprits for sure.....
I'm nervous. New pilgrimage very soon, lots of unknowns, the heat factor.....bla bla..... Leaving home and family, again, for weeks at a time! ....
Will I cope? Is my health/body /what -have -you up for this.... Etc etc
I wouldn't have it any other way of course but there it is.
So if you notice some answers are a bit edgy, spare a thought. Maybe the poster is going through some stress that we are unaware of.
(Please don't consider MY stress at all as it is self-inflicted and definitively a first world problem! :);)).
No, some people may be going through real stress :(

Hey, I get it.... you are describing what I am like during the couple of weeks prior to leaving on a long-distance backpacking trip. It happens every single time.

Now, as I get closer to my departure for my September 15th Camino (my first), I fully expect that the same edgy feelings will surface. When I catch what is happening, I force myself to focus on the 'why' of my trip.... 'why' did I decide to undertake the trip in the first place?

And like you did here, I let my family know that I might be showing my grumpiness and to be sure and let me know if that is the case. One can always do the best they are able to try and control themselves around others, but we are, after all, full of human fallabilities :)

I would also hope that we (the collective 'we') are not so fragile as to melt down when someone's words seem negative or a bit too harsh. For myself, I try to remember that while I cannot control what others might feel, say, or do, I can control my reaction to the same. (I wish that I was far more consistent in that regard. Sigh.) Proverbs 15:1 "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Few anxieties last beyond the first hour or so of walking the Camino. Just put one foot in front of the other, repeat as necessary. Empty your mind of all temporal thoughts, worries, and plans. Just go with the flow.

The Camino will fill all your senses, and your perceptions will reflect this heightened state of pleasure. Just leave all your anxious "baggage" behind as you walk forward.

It really IS as simple as that...

I hope this helps.

I'll share some nerves with you. My next Camino starts in 8 days. But it is different this time. I won't be away from home for a few weeks, but for probably a full year. I'll stay in Spain after my Camino. Very strange way of preparing. I haven't even made a decent packlist for my Camino. So many other things to do...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walk on my friend. Open your heart. Surrender. Wow did I just say that. Have fun.

Know the feeling. I'm going to do it next year (having done parts of it recently) - walking alone as a single woman feels daunting

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When You walk on the Camino you are never truly alone. I met lots of young women walking the Portuguese route and they felt as you did at the start but were minded along the way by the many Pilgrims they met. I'm sure you have already witnessed this for yourself. Before I embark on any journey I ask God to keep me safe and he always sends people I am meant to meet. Coincidences are never chance meeting in my book they are meant to happen.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
When You walk on the Camino you are never truly alone. I met lots of young women walking the Portuguese route and they felt as you did at the start but were minded along the way by the many Pilgrims they met. I'm sure you have already witnessed this for yourself. Before I embark on any journey I ask God to keep me safe and he always sends people I am meant to meet. Coincidences are never chance meeting in my book they are meant to happen

Lovely advice . I am beginning my Camino walking solo on o day and excited but nervous too especially re walking alone .. I will arrive in Porto at 18.00 and have not as yet got a pilgrim passport does anyone know can I get one somewhere in Porto ?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.