• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nervous 1st Camino August / Sept 2015

Daniel Morris

Time of past OR future Camino
1st Camino in September 2015
Hey Pilgrims

I'm starting my first Camino from St Jean on 28th August and I'm starting to think I've under estimated the task ahead of me, I'm 29 and a big guy and trying to get fitter and preparing, but I feel the Camino is going to take its toll on me.
I've completed a few pre-packs and narrowed my kit down to 8kg roughly and I'm planning a standard length of about 30 - 35 days, I have a few questions about the August Sept time of year, if any of you experienced Pilgrims can help out.

• How busy is the Camino in September, I've heard of boarderline races between albergues.
  • I assume that waterproof clothing is essential, I've heard the rain can be ironically Biblical.
  • Most importantly is the food at the albergues good, and whats traditionally done for breakfast.
Any help or opinions from you the much experienced, please, please let me know.

Daniel.

I've also noticed that a lot of people are struggling with transport to St Jean, due to a rail-line closure resulting in a replacement bus service, bringing a delay in transport from local Airport and City, Biarritz and Bayonne.
I discovered a company called EXPRESS BOURRICOT that pick you up from the Airport and take you directly to St Jean in just over an hour. The Service is unique in that, it is a mini bus service that gets cheaper the more people join the mini bus. A single ticket costs €80 but if enough people join the mini bus the price can go down to €18, seems pretty decent. Any body used it?
http://www.expressbourricot.com

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Express Bourricot is very popular with pilgrims but you need to reserve your place in advance and hope there are others to share the cost with you. The train/bus from Bayonne is less expensive but only runs 4 times a day.
Breakfast in Spain is typically toast and coffee and rarely available before 7.
I usually stop around 10 and order fried eggs and bacon, if I'm hungry.
The food at alberugues depends on where you stop, some serve no food, some have communal meals; what you will find is that most evenings you go out to dinner with friends and share the local daily menu and wine.
I'm walking late in August and early September with friends from last year, here's to hoping there is no "bed race."

Thanks, I've my place with Express Bourricot booked, getting ready for it all now. Thanks for your hints and tips, I'll make sure to put them to good use. Happy trails, maybe see you on The Way.

Dan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey Pilgrims

I'm starting my first Camino from St Jean on 28th August and I'm starting to think I've under estimated the task ahead of me, I'm 29 and a big guy and trying to get fitter and preparing, but I feel the Camino is going to take its toll on me.
I've completed a few pre-packs and narrowed my kit down to 8kg roughly and I'm planning a standard length of about 30 - 35 days, I have a few questions about the August Sept time of year, if any of you experienced Pilgrims can help out.

• How busy is the Camino in September, I've heard of boarderline races between albergues.
  • I assume that waterproof clothing is essential, I've heard the rain can be ironically Biblical.
  • Most importantly is the food at the albergues good, and whats traditionally done for breakfast.

Daniel.

I've also noticed that a lot of people are struggling with transport to St Jean, due to a rail-line closure resulting in a replacement bus service, bringing a delay in transport from local Airport and City, Biarritz and Bayonne.
I discovered a company called EXPRESS BOURRICOT that pick you up from the Airport and take you directly to St Jean in just over an hour. The Service is unique in that, it is a mini bus service that gets cheaper the more people join the mini bus. A single ticket costs €80 but if enough people join the mini bus the price can go down to €18, seems pretty decent. Any body used it?
Crowds: I would expect the French way to be crowded the last 100 kilometers for sure. Rain Gear: Some people like water proof pants and jacket some like ponchos. I prefer the poncho that zips up (Altos or Ferrino). You have to stop and remove you pack to get a rain suit off and on. With my poncho I just unzip and let it hang from my pack. easy on and easy off. Lower pant legs will get wet. I don't rust and I'm not made of sugar so I don't melt. Breakfast and the food: If you're from a country that puts on a good feed for breakfast you are going to be disappointed. :(A Spanish breakfast consists of toast, coffee or tea, and maybe juice. :eek: As far as the food goes, I've never gone hungry. By the end of the day you'll be so hungry you won't care. :)

There are hard parts on all the Caminos, you just need to take your time. Walking the Camino is not a foot race. You don't have to walk the daily distances listed in your guide book. I always recommend that you start by walking short distances of around 15 kilometers and slowly add distance. If you feel like your running out of time take the bus and bypass the boring parts. Remember you only have to walk the last 100 K to get you certificate.

Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Thanks, good info about the Ponchos, I'll have to decide soon what type of waterproof to go with.

You can't beat Tea and Toast for breakfast, I've heard its better to start with a light breakfast anyways.

I really want to do the full French Camino without skipping, well thats the plan haha.

Thanks for the advise.

Hi Daniel I am starting on the 28th of August as well. This is my second camino I did it 2 years ago same time. It is fantastic time of year to go. You will meet so many people who will support you with every step of your journey. When I left on 1/9/2013 hundreds of people left that day but it gets less and less as you do more kilometres. I took very little with me and I bought what I needed there. You need very little. Good luck and I will see you on the day no doubt.
Kylie from Perth Western Austrlia

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yeah, I had heard its meant to be a good time to start the Camino, as the major summer rush has usually passed but weather that is usually still decent, not Australia decent but warmer than Ireland, in fact I sometime forget what the sun looks like. With most things I'll just put my head down and get on with it.
Might bump into you on The Way, Thanks for the advise and good luck.

Thanks, good info about the Ponchos, I'll have to decide soon what type of waterproof to go with.

You can't beat Tea and Toast for breakfast, I've heard its better to start with a light breakfast anyways.

I really want to do the full French Camino without skipping, well thats the plan haha.

Thanks for the advise.
I wouldn't sweat the possibility of rain too much and any good, lightweight poncho or rain jacket will suffice, and no need for waterproof shoes. My first Camino which was during the months of July-August, I experienced no rain at all, which was good because I had no rain gear. My second Camino during June-July I had two days of rain, and they were hardly of monsoon proportions. If you get wet, you get wet. During the warmer months it's no big deal. Towns and albergues and such are never far away. Do make sure you take measures to keep your gear dry with a pack cover and/or waterproof bag(s). It really sucks to have all your gear and clothes soaked.
For me the Spanish breakfast of coffee toast and jam was not adequate. I see it more as a snack as it only contains simple sugars and no complex carbs. I would always buy some fruit and maybe some energy bars the night before when I could and snack on that before I hit the bricks. It would carry me over until I reached the first cafe where I could eat something substantial. Real food. Also, not all albergues offer breakfasts, and the ones that do are private ones.
You are a young guy. You should have no problem walking the Camino.
cheers

Daniel, you can pick up an ALTUS poncho in SJPP at the sporting goods store across the way from the Pilgrim Office.
If you want the email address to reserve one ahead of time, PM me.

There is no need for waterproof shoes or pants.
You'll be fine.
Just go... you'll figure it out :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Thanks for the advise.
If your are looking for ponchos you should take a look at this poncho. It has taken care of me home and abroad and the weight is only about 370 gr and material is high quality.
http://www.theoutdoorgearreview.com/2014/12/fjallraven-poncho-preview-and-test.html

Thanks for the advise.
If your are looking for ponchos you should take a look at this poncho. It has taken care of me home and abroad and the weight is only about 370 gr and material is high quality.
http://www.theoutdoorgearreview.com/2014/12/fjallraven-poncho-preview-and-test.html

For the Traveller

Every time you leave home,
Another road takes you
Into a world you were never in.

New strangers on other paths await.
New places that have never seen you
Will startle a little at your entry.
Old places that know you well
Will pretend nothing
Changed since your last visit.

When you travel, you find yourself
Alone in a different way,
More attentive now
To the self you bring along,
Your more subtle eye watching
You abroad; and how what meets you
Touches that part of the heart
That lies low at home:

How you unexpectedly attune
To the timbre in some voice,
Opening in conversation
You want to take in
To where your longing
Has pressed hard enough
Inward, on some unsaid dark,
To create a crystal of insight
You could not have known
You needed
To illuminate
Your way.

When you travel,
A new silence
Goes with you,
And if you listen,
You will hear
What your heart would
Love to say.

A journey can become a sacred thing:
Make sure, before you go,
To take the time
To bless your going forth,
To free your heart of ballast
So that the compass of your soul
Might direct you toward
The territories of spirit
Where you will discover
More of your hidden life,
And the urgencies
That deserve to claim you.

May you travel in an awakened way,
Gathered wisely into your inner ground;
That you may not waste the invitations
Which wait along the way to transform you.

May you travel safely, arrive refreshed,
And live your time away to its fullest;
Return home more enriched, and free
To balance the gift of days which call you.

~ John O’Donohue, ‘To Bless the Space Between Us

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For the Traveller

Every time you leave home,
Another road takes you
Into a world you were never in.

New strangers on other paths await.
New places that have never seen you
Will startle a little at your entry.
Old places that know you well
Will pretend nothing
Changed since your last visit.

When you travel, you find yourself
Alone in a different way,
More attentive now
To the self you bring along,
Your more subtle eye watching
You abroad; and how what meets you
Touches that part of the heart
That lies low at home:

How you unexpectedly attune
To the timbre in some voice,
Opening in conversation
You want to take in
To where your longing
Has pressed hard enough
Inward, on some unsaid dark,
To create a crystal of insight
You could not have known
You needed
To illuminate
Your way.

When you travel,
A new silence
Goes with you,
And if you listen,
You will hear
What your heart would
Love to say.

A journey can become a sacred thing:
Make sure, before you go,
To take the time
To bless your going forth,
To free your heart of ballast
So that the compass of your soul
Might direct you toward
The territories of spirit
Where you will discover
More of your hidden life,
And the urgencies
That deserve to claim you.

May you travel in an awakened way,
Gathered wisely into your inner ground;
That you may not waste the invitations
Which wait along the way to transform you.

May you travel safely, arrive refreshed,
And live your time away to its fullest;
Return home more enriched, and free
To balance the gift of days which call you.

~ John O’Donohue, ‘To Bless the Space Between Us

Beautiful.

Hey Pilgrims

Daniel.

We walked during the same time in 2013. We took our time. I believe it is one of the best time of the year to go on the Camino. When we return to the Camino it will be in late August-Se
Hey Pilgrims

Daniel.

Hey Pilgrims

Daniel.

We completed the Camino Francis in 2013. We started out August 24th. The weather was great. There was no rain until we got to Galicia. In Galicia we experienced three days of Thunder and lightening.
We experienced no rush for albergues except in Zubiri and Ponferrada.
I consider this one of the best time of year to do the Camino because students are returning to school, the weather is still great, and the summer vacation season is coming to an end.
One thing to remember is that you can always call the albergues ahead and see if they will take a reservation. Don't worry too much. You are going at a great time of the year. Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Daniel,

My experience is that the people on this forum give great informaton. They have helped me a lot and I have been planning and chatting since April!

I leave SJPDP on August 23 and i am starting slow, taking my times, and enjoying all that it has to offer.

Hopefuly we will meet up en route.

Dan

Hey Pilgrims

Daniel.

As to bed availability - We finished our Camino on Sept 4, 2014, and had no problems finding accommodation anywhere. Based on warnings in this forum, we were expecting difficulty from Palas de Rei to Santiago so in Melide we decided to stop before noon and checked into the albergue - we were the very first lodgers. Our albergues in Arzua, O Pedrouzo and Santiago all had empty beds at closing time, and the Seminario Menor in Santiago was taking in pilgrims for more than 1 night..

Hey Pilgrims

Daniel.

My wife and her friend walked the Camino last year, Sept and Oct, they never had a problem getting a bed, even on days where they arrived late afternoon. This year my wife and I are walking the Camino together, Sept 15 thru...to when we finish. We have about 49 days walking starting in SJPP. I'm also a big man Daniel and 60 years old, but I refuse to race from albergue to albergue, if they are full, they will assist you in finding other accommodations. Remember, they guide books are just that, you do not have to replicate it. Stop frequently, rest, take your shoes off, soak feet in water when you can and by all means if your tired and wore out...choose the next albergue and relax. The food I am told (by my wife) is good, but at times may not be what your used to...just go with it. It will be fine in the end. Listen to me giving advice and have never started or completed a Pilgramage. One last piece of advice, don't pack your expectations, let your Way be yours.

Walksonby

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Got to blabbering on and forgot to ask my question, oops. We are taking a side trip from Pamplona to San Sabastin for the day and night. Not sure if it matters but we are taking the bus. My question, does anyone have a must stay albergue, pension, min I in San Sabastin.

Walkonby

Hello Daniel,

You must be very excited right now, with your departure so close!
The others have given good advice to you already. I'd like to add a few things, though.

Regarding food :

There's kitchens in most albergues, some even stocked with basic food. Even if you don't plan on cooking for yourself most days, it can be great to cook together with other pilgrims at least a few times. Simply ask others if they're interested to join, those were some of my best Camino evenings. You can go shopping together (there are small shops - tiendas - in almost every town) and prepare a fresh (!) tasty meal. Don't forget the wine ;-) I didn't go out for dinner often, but the 'pilgrims menue' seemed to be rather boring to me from what I saw (meat, fries...), so maybe you'll want something different from time to time, give communal cooking a chance then!

I'd also like to add that there are not only private albergues that offer breakfast, but also some municipal and parroquial albergues (I remember Tosantos (parroquial, with candle light and classical music!), Estella (parroquial), Castrojeriz (municipal), El Acebo (after cruz de Ferro, parroquial, last albergue in town).

Last thing, if you feel tired, don't hesitate to take a rest day or walk a few shorter days. Your body will tell you when you're asking too much of it, listen to yourself with that, especially when you're an unexperienced walker (like I was). After a few days you will have found out which distance is right for you, you can walk longer distances once you feel good and not wrecked anymore when arriving at the planned stop ;-)

Buen Camino!

Hi Daniel - pre-Camino nerves and worries are absolutely normal!! Your "I'm starting to think I've under estimated the task ahead of me" is absolutely normal as well.
The front mind, the chattering mind, craves certainty and is terrified by what the real mind, the silent confident 'all is well' mind, the real 'you' has chosen to do! So it comes up with all of its fears, its 'but what will I do if this happens'. Let it chatter, it will quieten down after a few days and it isn't scared anymore.

You literally don't have to worry about anything, not anything at all - not beds, nor food, nor your capabilities - all you have to do is to take you and your gear to where you want to start walking and, well, start walking!
You will get wet, you will get dry, you will over-eat and you will under-eat, you will sleep well, you will sleep badly, you will get exhausted, you will get energised, you will be lonely, you will be part of a wonderful community - so what? Each is an experience and each are finite (though do carry water and some back-up food with you!).

Millions have walked before you, millions will walk after you - things will happen, other things will not happen. Some pilgrims die on Camino - but this is alright too you know, we all have to die somewhere. You may suffer aches and pains, possibly even injury - so take a day or two off. Be kind to yourself and be kind to others and all will be well, whatever manifests itself.

All is well Daniel - go to Camino, surrender willingly to whatever manifests and enjoy (if that is the right word!) your pilgrimage.

Buen Camino ;)

Hi Daniel-
The Bocadillo is everywhere. A ham and cheese with olive oil on fresh bread. Not the watery ham we get here, more like prosciutto. A lack of condiments though, but you can put it in your pack and eat it later in the woods by a stream. I also liked the fresh OJ from those machines that have oranges lined up and individually crushed. I brought a wide brim leather hat that was great in sun and rain! Good luck and try the horse ride up the hill to OCebreiro!

Got to blabbering on and forgot to ask my question, oops. We are taking a side trip from Pamplona to San Sabastin for the day and night. Not sure if it matters but we are taking the bus. My question, does anyone have a must stay albergue, pension, min I in San Sabastin.

Walkonby
@WalkonBy , since you visit to San Sebastia, is just that, a visit and not part of your pilgrimage, any albergue reserved for pilgrims should be a no no. This being said, La sirena in Ondarreta, at the very end of town is a juvenil and not reserved for pilgrims. It's spacious and clean, as in many albergues on the Norte you are given bed sheets and a breakfast is also served. You book it online if I remember correctly. Now, it is at the end of town, perhaps a 20 minute walk to the entrance to the old town so not ideal in terms of location but the bus service is excellent should you get caught in the rain and did not want to walk back and forth.

@craigmiller Thanks for the info, I have been a bit worried about beds and places to stay but atleast they are willing to help the Pilgrams out, seems to be a real sense of community about it all. Thanks for you help again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@WalkonBy . Good I'm glad to hear some good news, also glad to hear that this time of year seems to be a decent time or missing the rush as it were. Good luck on your Camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
@good_old_shoes I'm really easy to please when it comes to food, I love trying new dishes, I'm not very picky at all. I'm not the best chef in the world, but the Pilgrams all cooking together sounds really interesting, I think I'll enjoy that, thanks for that very handy tip. Hopefully I'll go home with a few Europeam dishes under my belt. Brilliant Thanks

@David I think this is probably the most helpful post I've read yet, I know there needs to be a certain amount of prep work done before the trip, but I almost feel as if I've been drowning in details recently. I usually am a very "go with the flow" kind of guy, but with most trips there is a standard format that is followed, it's just the amount of unknowns that stand in front of me, but like you say maybe thats the point. I need to let go and take each footstep as it comes at me. Thanks for bringing me back down to earth.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Ricka I like the sound of the Bocadillo, sounds like a handy little number to have in your backpack in case of hunger pangs, I've been on the fence about the Hat, need to make a decision soon, wondering if it's really required, I've full head of hair, I'm not boosting or anything, the grey is creeping in.

Hi @Daniel Morris what David said!!!

If you go to the bottom of this page and select 'september' you will see a thread called 2015 SEPTEMBER PILGRIMS. The first post is a list of forum members that have declared that they are leaving around the same time as you.
I can add your name to the list if you like? You can contact any of the forum members on the thread or privately for travel, meetups or advice? Many if not most are nervous first timers.
Hope you have a wonderful journey.
Buen camino
Sarah:)

Yeah, I had heard its meant to be a good time to start the Camino, as the major summer rush has usually passed but weather that is usually still decent, not Australia decent but warmer than Ireland, in fact I sometime forget what the sun looks like. With most things I'll just put my head down and get on with it.
Might bump into you on The Way, Thanks for the advise and good luck.
Hi Daniel, it's a great time of the year to walk the Camino. According to my wife, she walked the Camino Frances in 2013 in the same period as you will be, she had only 1 day of rain.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Daniel, you can pick up an ALTUS poncho in SJPP at the sporting goods store across the way from the Pilgrim Office.
If you want the email address to reserve one ahead of time, PM me.

There is no need for waterproof shoes or pants.
You'll be fine.
Just go... you'll figure it out :)

My wife used an Altus poncho last year and has nothing but good things to say

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.