• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nervous, first camino?

Dodog

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2015
I am leaving tonight for Barcelona, then tomorow for Burgos, and then tuesday i start to walk with my son. This morning i am a lot nervous! It is the first time i leave without my husband!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think it is natural to be a little tense or nervous in the circumstances, or even a lot. I know that I still miss my wife when I leave on my own, but I find that if I am able to talk to her regularly and keep in touch by email, etc, it is manageable. I wouldn't expect the feeling to abate quickly, but the excitement of doing things you might not have expected to have to do, and the general ambiance of the camino, should help keep it in the background.

Dodog, it is only natural to feel anxious before such a big undertaking.
Nothing can fill the space you have for your loved ones, but the Camino you are embarking on will live with you forever.
You and your son will soon fall right in with hundreds of peregrinos who start with the same nevous tension you feel.
But, just for a moment the first day or two, put those feeling aside and marvel at the joy and excitement you are experiencing.
I'll bet that like so many others, your heart will soar the first time someone says to you "Buen Camino".

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I hear you dodog. I leave tomorrow as well. I have been preparing for over a year. Now that the day is here I feel a bit sick. We will do fine though, I know it! Peace and have a wonderful journey,,

Bene et pace, Padre and dodog!
We who've been there can all wish you a buen camino, saying that it's normal and will go away as soon as you walk...which is very true, but the nerves are still not fun.
Maybe it's not much of a consolation, but at least you are not alone: everyone is in the same rickety boat as you. (I've often wondered what SJPP is like in the summertime, with the energetic burden of so many nervous perergrino/as... :D)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am leaving tonight for Barcelona, then tomorow for Burgos, and then tuesday i start to walk with my son. This morning i am a lot nervous! It is the first time i leave without my husband!
Dodog, hello! I'm leaving on Tuesday too and I'm also a bit nervous! Perfectly normal! You'll feel fine once you start walking :)
Buen camino to you and your son.

Virarani, I loved StJpdP in mid-July! Great if you're a 1st time pilgrim, you quickly realise you are NOT the only one :D the 2nd time I opted for a hotel room rather than an albergue though, I needed that peace and quiet !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I remember as we were starting to walk up the hill away from SJPDP I could hardly believe we were on our way. My hear was beating so fast at the thrill of the climb. "Ok, here we are on the Camino". "Ok, I'm finally a pilgrim"... " where's the water?" "Where's the yellow arrows" ..Lol.
I remembered seeing the markers on the trail of the people whose Camino was unexpectedly cut short. Would we be one of them I thought? These markers taught me to respect the journey. Enjoy your journey. Buen Camino.

Buen Camino to you and your son, Dodog!. As everyone else here in this thread has kindly advised, you will soon be fine once you start walking on the Camino. Fear not and believe in yourself.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back