• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nervous first-time pilgrim - Camino Portugues July 2016

CathyK

Time of past OR future Camino
Completing my first Camino in July 2016 - Camino Portuguese
Hi,

I am tackling my first Camino in July 2016 and am feeling a little nervous. I hope all of you experienced pilgrims will kindly impart your wisdom and advice on me!

I'm starting the Camino Portugues on 30 June 2016. I don't have a set deadline, but I'm aiming to finish 1-3 August 2016. I'm a little worried about availability of beds and want to book in advance, but several of the initial stages (in Bierley' guide book) are 30kms, so I'm also worried I might not make it the full distance each day!

Can anyone who has previously taken the Portuguese route around this time of year provide some guidance regarding accommodation. Would you recommend booking ahead, or is it fairly easy to find something? I'm contemplating taking a tent and sleeping mat (if I can carry the additional weight), which would solve this problem.

Also, if anyone has followed Bierley's guide - did you find the stages to be manageable?

I would also love to hear from any pilgrims looking to walk the Portuguese route through July!

Thanks in advance!
Cath

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,

I am tackling my first Camino in July 2016 and am feeling a little nervous. I hope all of you experienced pilgrims will kindly impart your wisdom and advice on me!

I'm starting the Camino Portugues on 30 June 2016. I don't have a set deadline, but I'm aiming to finish 1-3 August 2016. I'm a little worried about availability of beds and want to book in advance, but several of the initial stages (in Bierley' guide book) are 30kms, so I'm also worried I might not make it the full distance each day!

Can anyone who has previously taken the Portuguese route around this time of year provide some guidance regarding accommodation. Would you recommend booking ahead, or is it fairly easy to find something? I'm contemplating taking a tent and sleeping mat (if I can carry the additional weight), which would solve this problem.

Also, if anyone has followed Bierley's guide - did you find the stages to be manageable?

I would also love to hear from any pilgrims looking to walk the Portuguese route through July!

Thanks in advance!
Cath

Hi Cath, the only long stage with nowhere to stay inbetween is from Tomar to Alvaiazere. I’ve walked it once, and took a bus another time. All the other long stages have hotels or private rooms somewhere along the way. No need to book in advance, and definitely no need to carry a tent. The Portuguese Camino is not busy like the Camino Frances. There is no need whatsoever to stay with the Brierley stages; they are a guide only. Bom caminho! Jill

Hi: I'm intent on walking the central route beginning September 1...I would say 'I'm planning on walking the route' but I'm trying not so much to plan as to just go and experience the caminho. On the other hand, I have 30 days total and now I'm starting to second guess the amount of time I gave myself to cover the 400 miles from Lisbon to Santiago. I don't want to get in a daily slog where I have to march like a Roman soldier to the next waypoint, thereby missing the beauty, discovery and appreciation. What are your thoughts about covering that distance in a month, and still having enough time to enjoy the route and a few days to layover in the best spots? thanks. Steve

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi: I'm intent on walking the central route beginning September 1...I would say 'I'm planning on walking the route' but I'm trying not so much to plan as to just go and experience the caminho. On the other hand, I have 30 days total and now I'm starting to second guess the amount of time I gave myself to cover the 400 miles from Lisbon to Santiago. I don't want to get in a daily slog where I have to march like a Roman soldier to the next waypoint, thereby missing the beauty, discovery and appreciation. What are your thoughts about covering that distance in a month, and still having enough time to enjoy the route and a few days to layover in the best spots? thanks. Steve

Hi Steve, Lisbon to Santiago was my first camino, and it took me 31 days. I spent two nights in Tomar, and two nights in Porto. On my rest day in Porto I did a very leisurely walk along the river to Matasinhos, and got the bus back to Porto. Next morning I got the bus to Matasinhos and continued walking. There were some long days, but there were also some short days. Overall 620 kms in 31 days averages 20 kms a day – that is quite doable. Jill

Thanks, good info, and reassuring to hear it's possible. Worst case I guess for me is to take the bus a couple times and jump ahead....thanks again. Steve

take the bus a couple times and jump ahead

Sounds like a good plan :). Take each day as it comes. The weather, and the other pilgrims you meet, will help with decision-making along the way. As I mentioned above, there is nowhere to stay between Tomar and Alvaiazere. Having already walked this stretch once, I took the 10:30 bus (check the bus timetables at the bus station in Tomar) to Alvaiazere, rather than walk in 32C heat in July, and I stayed at the Pinheiro albergue (highly recommend). By the time 2 caminho friends had arrived (one walked, the other one took the later bus), I had sourced a place to eat and a really cool bar on the other side of town, which we didn’t leave till after 1am :cool:. (We were the only 3 in the albergue and had a key to the front door.) The next day was a short day (14 kms) to Ansiao. Jill

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,

Thanks in advance!
Cath

This is the central way (Caminho Central: Lisboa-Tomar-Coimbra-Porto-Santiago), is not the way of the sea (Caminho do Mar: Lisboa-Mafra-Alcobaça-Fátima-Tomar - Santiago).

This is the central way (Caminho Central: Lisboa-Tomar-Coimbra-Porto-Santiago), is not the way of the sea (Caminho do Mar: Lisboa-Mafra-Alcobaça-Fátima-Tomar - Santiago).
Hi! Can you tell me more about the camino do mar please?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,

Thanks in advance!
Cath
Hi Erichan: try this, if you haven't already seen it: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/caminho-do-mar.38333/

I'm walking the central from Lisboa starting September 1.

Bom Caminho, Steve
Gracias Steve!
y Buen Camino

Hi Stepnote, I will be right behind you, starting on Sept. 3rd from Lisbon, doing Central route to Porto and Coastal for one day after Porto.
Bom Caminho!

Hi,

Thanks in advance!
Cath
Hi Cath,

I walked the Portuguese last July, starting in Matosinhos and walking the coast the first day and pulling inward from there. We also took the "Espiritual" route in Pontevedra, which I would HIGHLY recommend! I am walking again in the beginning of July with my 20yo son (can't wait) and am contemplating walking the Portuguese coastal route this time. I am arriving in Lisbon on Sunday, July 3rd and on the face of whether to spend time in Lisbon before or wait till the end. I will be making a stop in Fatima and than in Coimbra to visit family and begin in Matosinhos again. That would be awesome if our paths crossed, but not if your beginning in Lisbon : < It's VERY busy in that area. Bom Camino, Li

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just finished the coastal 10 days ago from Porto. It took 15 days with a lay day in Vigo. A beautiful route. I'll be posting photos in July.
Alan

Hi Cath,

I walked the Portuguese last July, starting in Matosinhos and walking the coast the first day and pulling inward from there. We also took the "Espiritual" route in Pontevedra, which I would HIGHLY recommend! I am walking again in the beginning of July with my 20yo son (can't wait) and am contemplating walking the Portuguese coastal route this time. I am arriving in Lisbon on Sunday, July 3rd and on the face of whether to spend time in Lisbon before or wait till the end. I will be making a stop in Fatima and than in Coimbra to visit family and begin in Matosinhos again. That would be awesome if our paths crossed, but not if your beginning in Lisbon : < It's VERY busy in that area. Bom Camino, Li
I also will start from Lisbon on the 21rt of July=) I am so glad I find your post. As I want too to stop in Fatima. Can you please advice the guide you are using? I am looking for the Coastal route, however I understand to visit Fatima is other route?

I just finished the coastal 10 days ago from Porto. It took 15 days with a lay day in Vigo. A beautiful route. I'll be posting photos in July.
Alan
Hi Alan,
I would love to see/hear about the route you took. My Brierly's book is from last year, so it doesn't have the
route I am wanting to take. I will be starting in Matosinhos, could you possibly help me out with my itinerary?
Much appreciated, Bom Caminho Liana

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I also will start from Lisbon on the 21rt of July=) I am so glad I find your post. As I want too to stop in Fatima. Can you please advice the guide you are using? I am looking for the Coastal route, however I understand to visit Fatima is other route?
Hi Angela,
I will take the train to Fatima and spend a day or two and than make my way to Coimbra, by train also and spend
a few days with family and exploring the beautiful city. I hope to begin in Matosinhos again and take the coastal
route to Pontevedra, bu tnote sure how well marked this route is. I also veered off to the "Espiritual Variante"
route in Pontevedra, which I may or may not do again this year, I will just have to "listen" as to which road to take
when I get there! Bom Caminho, Liana

Hi
Pay attention.

The train does not stop at the town of Fatima. It's too far away.

You must go by bus in any city.

AMSimoes
Thanks!

Hi Alan,
I would love to see/hear about the route you took. My Brierly's book is from last year, so it doesn't have the
route I am wanting to take. I will be starting in Matosinhos, could you possibly help me out with my itinerary?
Much appreciated, Bom Caminho Liana

Here are the stops I made with approx distances

Porto
Povoa de Varzim 23
Esposende 21
Viana do Castelo 24
Vila Praia de Ancora 18
A Guarda 18
Oia 15
Baiona 14
Vigo 23
Redondella 14
Pontevedra 16
Caldas de Reis 24
Padron 18
Teo 12
SDC 12

Alan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here are the stops I made with approx distances

Porto
Povoa de Varzim 23
Esposende 21
Viana do Castelo 24
Vila Praia de Ancora 18
A Guarda 18
Oia 15
Baiona 14
Vigo 23
Redondella 14
Pontevedra 16
Caldas de Reis 24
Padron 18
Teo 12
SDC 12

Alan
Thanks so much, this is a big help! Is it well marked, cause I don't have the newest Brierly and don't really
want to spend the money, so I'm hoping to be o.k. by "trusting"

Thanks so much, this is a big help! Is it well marked, cause I don't have the newest Brierly and don't really
want to spend the money, so I'm hoping to be o.k. by "trusting"

Liana,

Some sections are well marked, others maybe not as well. I was with 2 experienced walkers and we went astray sometimes. There are some quite isolated forest routes which I think it'd be better to have a few people together. The latter stages are pretty straightforward. I'll have a better sense of the sections when I get home in 2 weeks.
Alan

Hi I am thinking of doing this route from Porto are there two options
to get to Santiago and is the Portuguese camino better weather wise in October than the Francis .
Im gratefull for all advise thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Liana,

Some sections are well marked, others maybe not as well. I was with 2 experienced walkers and we went astray sometimes. There are some quite isolated forest routes which I think it'd be better to have a few people together. The latter stages are pretty straightforward. I'll have a better sense of the sections when I get home in 2 weeks.
Alan
Well I leave on the 2nd of July, so hopefully will have better info by than, if not, will check info when I arrive
in Lisbon. I will also be walking with my son, so at least we will "have each other" to rely upon and "two heads
are better than one"! Thanks for your quick response also Alan

I t
Well I leave on the 2nd of July, so hopefully will have better info by than, if not, will check info when I arrive
in Lisbon. I will also be walking with my son, so at least we will "have each other" to rely upon and "two heads
are better than one"! Thanks for your quick response also Alan

I think in an early section we strayed too far east of the highway. Also important perhaps is to be slightly aware of when the last mark was seen. Sometimes it's good to backtrack to it rather than continuing on. It's a lovely walk, I especially liked Oia and Vigo. Le Guarda is pretty good too. Be aware the ferry across Rio Mino( into Spain) doesn't run on Mondays as I recall. Check that out if need be.
Alan

Hi Angela,
I will take the train to Fatima and spend a day or two and than make my way to Coimbra, by train also and spend
a few days with family and exploring the beautiful city. I hope to begin in Matosinhos again and take the coastal
route to Pontevedra, bu tnote sure how well marked this route is. I also veered off to the "Espiritual Variante"
route in Pontevedra, which I may or may not do again this year, I will just have to "listen" as to which road to take
when I get there! Bom Caminho, Liana
Thank you =)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi,

Thanks in advance!
Cath
HI Cathy,
My wife and I are walking in July from Porto to Santiago. Czn any readers please let us know, in case of extreme heat if there is transport along the central way?

My only experience is the coastal, but think most bars/cafes would call for an uber taxi if asked. I saw signs posted for taxis aimed at pilgrims. That said, I could walk 4-5 hours without seeing a cafe. Perhaps have a number handy.
Alan

I managed to book next day rooms mostly in late May to early June. I think that would be more difficult with the summer season upon us.
Alan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I managed to book next day rooms mostly in late May to early June. I think that would be more difficult with the summer season upon us.
Alan
Hello Alan, Ill walk the Camino Portugues from Lisbon on the 20th of July, and want to go to Fatima, my book dont have anything about Fatima route =( Can you please advice me if you know how I can go to fatima?
I believe the Coastal started from Porto?
Also can you please advice me if is worth to bring with me my tent?

Buen Camino

I don't know anything about Fatima. Try the site rome2rio maybe. I have not looked into camping on the Camino.
Alan

Hello Alan, Ill walk the Camino Portugues from Lisbon on the 20th of July, and want to go to Fatima, my book dont have anything about Fatima route =( Can you please advice me if you know how I can go to fatima?
I believe the Coastal started from Porto?
Also can you please advice me if is worth to bring with me my tent?

Buen Camino

Angela Leon,

For many posts regarding getting to and from Fatima check out this Forum thread.

Happy research and Bom caminho!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I was nervous, too, in my first Camino.
And in the second.
And in the third...
And in the fourth....
I just got nervous for other, different reasons. But every Camino is always the first. You will ever discover new things and situations.

Hi folks,
Late to this thread
Did the CP lasyear (Lisboa to SDC) and intend to return to Porto
Next week Aug 10 to do coastal route.

Just a couple of general point re CP from Lisbon.
1 From Lisbon to Porto is approx 14 days and some of them are long and there are not many pilgrims walking. The alburgues are excellent except for Azumbuja on day 2. The path goes from town to town with many towns running into each other. So it can be quite boring. Sure the are some beautifll parts. It s not too difficult as in its quite flat. The Portuguese are truly wonderful people. It's inexpensive. Food I'd good

2. On approach to Albergaria before yoo enter Serem de Cima there is reference in brierly guide to a bridge and also arrows ((old and faded) point to it. This bridge is down. The solution is to go over the main big huge bridge its for trucks and buses and cars but there is a walkway on it.
This around stage 11. I nearly made a big error here and it was the only point I got frustrated really

3 from Porto on central route there are many many to an toads of cobble. Got blisters on sole of foot. I never get blisters. Be prepared for this.
Porto to SDC is really lovely and pretty and the stages go in fairly fast as there are more people. I took a coupled bus days as I had a scheduled flight to make. Be flexible. In fact I used taxi as stages are quite short. Took a cab and then started walking and did 2 stages in 1.

4 completed CP in 14 (Lisbon to Porto) and 8 (Porto to SDC) with 2 stages by cab. Have some notes on it if you can look up "currently on CP" thread it may help.

Wonderful trip really recommend it.

PeterB

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi folks,
Late to this thread
Did the CP lasyear (Lisboa to SDC) and intend to return to Porto
Next week Aug 10 to do coastal route.

Just a couple of general point re CP from Lisbon.
1 From Lisbon to Porto is approx 14 days and some of them are long and there are not many pilgrims walking. The alburgues are excellent except for Azumbuja on day 2. The path goes from town to town with many towns running into each other. So it can be quite boring. Sure the are some beautifll parts. It s not too difficult as in its quite flat. The Portuguese are truly wonderful people. It's inexpensive. Food I'd good

2. On approach to Albergaria before yoo enter Serem de Cima there is reference in brierly guide to a bridge and also arrows ((old and faded) point to it. This bridge is down. The solution is to go over the main big huge bridge its for trucks and buses and cars but there is a walkway on it.
This around stage 11. I nearly made a big error here and it was the only point I got frustrated really

3 from Porto on central route there are many many to an toads of cobble. Got blisters on sole of foot. I never get blisters. Be prepared for this.
Porto to SDC is really lovely and pretty and the stages go in fairly fast as there are more people. I took a coupled bus days as I had a scheduled flight to make. Be flexible. In fact I used taxi as stages are quite short. Took a cab and then started walking and did 2 stages in 1.

4 completed CP in 14 (Lisbon to Porto) and 8 (Porto to SDC) with 2 stages by cab. Have some notes on it if you can look up "currently on CP" thread it may help.

Wonderful trip really recommend it.

PeterB
Lisbon to Porto in 14 days. Where you running ?:confused:

Only in the suburbs of Lisbon the towns and villages are close to each other.
As soon as you leave Azambuja -I doubt of lots of people walk this distance from Lisbon in two days-you come into a more rural area so the advise is if you do not like the busy infrastructure of the Lisbon area, take the commuter train to Azambuja or even to Santarém to start there and enjoy the beautiful landscapes of this part of the caminho Português and beautiful places like Santarém, Tomar, Coimbra etc.

Serem de Cima. You descend from a mountain and in the distance you allready see the destroyed bridge so the only alternative is to walk over the national road bridge,at the save side of the protection rail.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back