• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nervous wreck looking to start mid-August 2017

sue-sheila

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - August 16 - September 19 2017
Hello everyone - Seemingly on a whim I decided that nothing would do for me but walk the Camino and the only time I can do it is mid-August to end September.
I am not overweight but not that fit either - on the trails near my house I can do 2.5 miles per hour but am anxious about what the Camino trails would be like and whether I can realistically walk 10-15 miles a day.
I am ridden with doubts and fears and would give anything to find someone to walk with - not necessarily talk with for I understand that for some this needs to be a quiet time of reflection and not everyone may want to talk. I am perfectly comfortable walking in companionable silence as I am with lending my ears.
Is there anyone out there who is thinking of going around the same time and is beset with similar anxieties and looking for company? I have tentatively made arrangements with a tour company who will be transporting my (very small bag) from hostel to hostel so will be carrying only a day-pack to lighten my load and make my first Camino a little less formidable. Anyone?! Please?!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone - Seemingly on a whim I decided that nothing would do for me but walk the Camino and the only time I can do it is mid-August to end September.
I am not overweight but not that fit either - on the trails near my house I can do 2.5 miles per hour but am anxious about what the Camino trails would be like and whether I can realistically walk 10-15 miles a day.
I am ridden with doubts and fears and would give anything to find someone to walk with - not necessarily talk with for I understand that for some this needs to be a quiet time of reflection and not everyone may want to talk. I am perfectly comfortable walking in companionable silence as I am with lending my ears.
Is there anyone out there who is thinking of going around the same time and is beset with similar anxieties and looking for company? I have tentatively made arrangements with a tour company who will be transporting my (very small bag) from hostel to hostel so will be carrying only a day-pack to lighten my load and make my first Camino a little less formidable. Anyone?! Please?!
You will find many other people to walk with once you are there. Many of them not so fit, and anxious about walking too.
You really don't need to pay a tour company to have your bags transported. You can do it while you are on the Camino for just a few euros a day.
And once you start walking if you don't like it you don't have to keep going. Book yourself a nice seaside hotel instead if you want. :)
You also don't have to walk 10 to 15 miles a day. You don't have to walk all the way to Santiago.
In the meantime, use this forum for tips about training, shoes, and other gear to take. I walked last year at the same time of year you'll be going, and started my training around this time last year. You'll do fine!

Trecile gives very good advice above.
I agree strongly that making provisions now with a tour company is not a good idea as it is entirely unneeded.
The bag transport system is available in every albergue and very simple to use. The cost is very low and others will be doing the same thing and it will be easy to follow along. You simply book it each day for the next day.
You do not want to be locked in to scheduled stops. Walking further or much less each day should be something you have daily control of.
Worry and anxieties can cause us to sometimes over plan which can actually cause problems rather than solve them.

Start a simple training schedule now as you have a good amount of time to tone up a bit. Do not be concerned much with the walking speed...2.5 to 3 mph is very normal.
Start with 5 miles until you are comfortable and then add to it. You will find that most people are like you and will actually get the most training in the first week or 10 days of walking.

Make sure your shoes fit, have a good pack and know how to adjust it for comfort. Get to your starting point. Make the first night reservation.....then just let it happen. You will be in the flow of a crowd of other people..almost all of whom are worrying just like you.

Enjoy the adventure.

(Is there a Pilgrim group near you? You did not indicate your location)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you both for your tips and advice - much appreciated!
1) I *have to* walk the entire stretch - have some grief to unload
2) would love to not be bound to a fixed/planned schedule but too afraid to find I can' t find accommodation & DO NOT want to spend time looking for one or worse yet - sleep outdoors; In other words - I want to reduce the number of variables ahead of time. And how would I book ahead if I don't know where I'll be stopping next?
3) I am located in Northern VA - very close to D.C.
I am open to all the guidance & advice everyone can give me.
Thank you

There are plenty, really plenty of people of all nationalities on the CF during that time, as you state that your backpack is already light, I would save the money for backpack transport. Things like rain gear, food, water etc you need anyway during the day, so the weight you actually save will be, most likely, little. Buen Camino, SY

Hi - the advice given above is great. I especially agree with the sentiment about not giving in to preplanning too much before your get there - planning and organising as much as possible beforehand might seem like a good strategy to minimise anxiety and to try and control a fear of the unknown, but it may well limit you in ways you don't expect, and might very well regret later.

In my opinion, at this stage you have plenty of time to get out and get walking, and increase your fitness and confidence. There are no rules about how far or how fast you walk, but the sooner you start walking, the easier it will be when you finally get there. Get some comfortable shoes (I like trail runners, but that is a debate to be found elsewhere on the forum!) and put them to use. But go easy on yourself, and start gradually. This forum has plenty of advice on preparation.

You will be fine - and once you have completed this challenge (whatever that means for you personally - which may or may not include getting to Santiago de Compostella) you will justifiably feel pleased with yourself!

Good luck, buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you all - I appreciate your time. I fully intend prepping for the walk and have already started walking on the weekends which is when I have time. I still have some questions of a practical nature though:
1) How would I book my baggage at an albergue for being transported ahead if I don't know how far I'll make it the next day?
2) Even bigger fear - what if I do NOT find accommodation for the night? I do not want to knock on many different doors until I find room - especially since this will be at the end of a long walking day and I am anticipating much tiredness and achy feet.
3) I have been told that even though the Camino is crowded, it is likely that I can go for many miles without seeing anybody - that makes me nervous too (sorry) - especially if I have to take bathroom breaks - I don't want to be by myself
Sorry about being such a wimp - but that's how it is right now.

2) would love to not be bound to a fixed/planned schedule but too afraid to find I can' t find accommodation & DO NOT want to spend time looking for one or worse yet - sleep outdoors; In other words - I want to reduce the number of variables ahead of time. And how would I book ahead if I don't know where I'll be stopping next?

Sue-Sheila,

I suspect that your anxiety (near-panic) comes from a deep-seated need to control/be in charge. This is fairly normal; many "civilized" people experience the same thing.

Though I have yet to walk it, I can tell you that the Camino is nothing like your everyday experiences. Among others, the Camino will help you to RELAX and to TRUST; things that may be missing from your current situation.

Just my two-hundredths of a dollar. YMMV

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Glenn - I give you my word that it is comfort and assurance I seek with pre-planning - the comfort and assurance of having a place that knows my name ahead of time - is expecting me - and where I can rest my weary head. It is really not from any be-in-charge seat - Promise! :)
I *do* want the flexibility of not being tied down and the ability to wander at will - just too afraid of doing it without (at least) one companion.

[Italics added for emphasis.]
Glenn - I give you my word that it is comfort and assurance I seek with pre-planning - the comfort and assurance of having a place that knows my name ahead of time - is expecting me - and where I can rest my weary head. It is really not from any be-in-charge seat....

I rest my case. ;)

I *do* want the flexibility of not being tied down and the ability to wander at will - just too afraid of doing it without (at least) one companion.

Aah, Sue-Sheila, companionship is one thing with which you are likely to have no problem.

Buen Camino!!!!

Last edited:
Carrying your own pack is the only way to be assured that your pack and you will be at the same location. If you don't know what your ability is in terms of walking distance then you will likely end up taking a taxi to catch up to your bag.
Privacy while taking a bathroom break in the woods is preferable to having a bunch of people standing around while you go :)
You will find people who are walking at your pace. Try not to over worry.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Don't overthink the Camino. Whatever you think it will be - it will turn out differently. The advice given by previous posters is good.
Do not fear. Rather thank good fortune for this opportunity.
Now take a deep breath, and plunge yourself into the unique experience of the camino.

I traveled to Spain alone, but met my first Camino friend on the train from Madrid to Pamplona. By the 3rd day or so I was walking with a group of eight. All strangers before the Camino, except one married couple.
The hospitaleros in the albergues can be very helpful so far as pack transport or even calling ahead to book you a bed at your next stop.
There were times that I walked for several hours alone, but I always knew that if I stopped for a short time someone would be along soon. Plus, quite often the towns are only a few miles apart.
It sounds like you are planning to walk the Camino Frances. If so, I highly recommend booking your first night at Orisson. http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/
It will break the trek over the Pyrenees into two stages. And the best thing is all the fellow pilgrims that you will meet who are also just starting out. They have a communal dinner, where everyone introduces themselves. Then you'll have about 30 new friends to walk with the next morning.

Also I never has a problem finding a bed in August /September.

So for a few days you walk 10 miles a day, then you decide you're feeling achy and want a shorter day so you look on your accommodation list and find an albergue that is just 5 or 6 miles away and you send your bag to that one.
Or you've got a blister so decide to do the sensible thing and let it heal so you book into a pension in the same town for two nights.
Or you're feeling really good one day so you pick up your light backpack from the albergue it was delivered to and walk on an extra three miles to the next town.
This actually offers far more flexibility than having to manage whatever distance the tour company decides you should do.
When I did my first camino it was with one husband, one father-in-law and eight kids. I was concerned we would have trouble finding accommodation together - 11 beds! There was only one occasion that. We had to look for something (the municipal was closed for renovations) and even then there were plenty of options.
We just made a point of not being overly ambitious about distances and arrived by lunchtime most days so we could queue (while we ate our lunch).
You won't end up sleeping outside.
You probably won't even end up peeing near the path - honestly, there are bars every hour or so. It's not a wilderness trek.
IMHO the most freeing thing you could do would be to book your first night, keep walking at home, pack light and if it will help and not send you into a state of frenzy, have a look at one of the sites that gives distances (if considering different options is stressful instead of reassuring, then skip this step)
Oh, and when you get there you'll see some pilgrims at your accommodation or even on the street - talk to them and you may even find one who is happy to set off with you in the morning.
By the third day you'll wonder what you were fussing about.
(And if I'm wrong, as others have said, there are lots of options for a nice "holiday" in Spain)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is there anyone out there who is thinking of going around the same time and is beset with similar anxieties and looking for company? .... I have some grief to unload
If you're scared and feeling sad, don't look for a scared person to walk with. Look for confident ones. You'll find some around when you arrive. Or look on Facebook CAMIGAS group.

Sue-Sheila, I hope you do what you need to do to feel comfortable starting out. I don't see what harm there is in making at least initial plans to ease your mind, and my guess is, as others have said above, that once you see how it is and get into the rhythm of things, much of the anxiety will dissipate on its own. Signing up on the list with the women's Facebook Camigas site the first time helped me get in touch with others heading out around the same day - even if you don't walk together, it's good to know they're out there. Exchange contact information with people you run across that you trust so you can keep tabs on how each other are doing for a sense of connection. If you're starting in SJPP, you'll feel better probably the moment you get there - there's a buzz of happy, excited people there, and many are eager to make acquaintances.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Have you ever seen those team-building activities in which, for example, you fall backwards with your eyes shut, and have to trust that others will catch you?

I think you need to stop worrying about where you will rest. Just GO and walk until you're tired, then stop and find a place to sleep. NEVER on Camino Frances did I have a hard time finding a place to sleep.

We are all humans with the same needs. I have found a few people out there who worry, worry, worry and share that with others---don't be that person. You don't need to get on wifi and use booking.com. You don't need to worry about any of this. Please, please trust the great advice on this forum--If you book a room ahead of time, then you need to worry about getting there. What if you get tired and don't want to walk that far? What if you meet a friend that wants to stay elsewhere?

If you've already done all this structure, booking, organizing, controlling the journey, all this advice may be too late...but if you can cut the chains and just STOP the worrying, you will find it very liberating. Many of us are probably much older than you. Some grieving, like you. Some a little nervous. Some a little heavy....we all have our concerns.

Let it go. Take the leap, take a breath, give yourself permission to accept that an ADVENTURE means you will be existing outside the box.

Also, carry 8 kilos and call it good. Don't send your pack ahead. I've seen packs stolen. Now there is something I would worry about!

Buen Camino. Have a glass of wine---right now!

how would I book ahead if I don't know where I'll be stopping next?

So, assuming you will start in Saint Jean Pied de Port, make a reservation there and also at Orisson for your first night, and also Roncesvalles. You have no option other than to walk the distance to there.

When you get to Roncesvalles, assess how your body feels, and consider how far you think you might want to walk the next day. Look at the map to see where the villages are, look at the paper you will be given at the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP to see where the albergues are (and the Wise Pilgrim app is also very useful to have on your phone). Maybe check the weather forecast, talk to fellow pilgrims to see how far they plan to walk the following day. Make your decision, and call the albergue of your choice to make a reservation (some hospitaleras will do this for you if you ask). You can use google translate to get the right phrase, mine is something along the lines of 'please, do you have a bed for tomorrow night? A low bed because I have bad knees.' (I'm not sure google translate has got it totally right because that always seems to get a laugh!)

Once that's sorted, I'll contact the bag transport company I'm using (or again, the hospitalera may do it for you).

And that's it. Easy. And I do this every afternoon or evening for the following day. It takes maybe 10-15 minutes at most. So really, there's no need to worry about it.

My first time, I booked ahead for the first week, which was fine until I got to Roncesvalles and decided I wanted to walk on with my new-found Camino family. I was only able to cancel one reservation, and I was charged for the others as having used booking website I was outside the cancellation dates. So for several nights I paid for 2 beds/rooms in different places. Lesson learned, don't book too far ahead!

... I have tentatively made arrangements with a tour company who will be transporting my (very small bag) from hostel to hostel so will be carrying only a day-pack to lighten my load ...

Cancel those arrangements! Jacotrans operate a bag transport service for €5 per day. They have envelopes for the cash and the forwarding details in practically every place of accommodation. I have never used them myself but I've met several people who did - not everyday, but when they needed a bit of a breather.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nerves is normal, so it's all about testing out your own gear on homesoil. Do walks, test, change details, feel fitter/uplifted and by this your confidence will better itself.

One thing I want to point out, which have cought me out several times. Because of the heat my feet suffers from swelling. Especially in the beginning/first weeks.. A pair of hilking sandals has saved me now on three occations. Well worth the cost.

Last advice on and before the camino;

Small problems get big - fast
Big problems get small - slow

It is why it pays off to really listen in on what your whole body, especially feet, is telling you all along.

Small symptons=important symptoms

You will have a blast!!

Go for it

Thank you all - I appreciate your time. I fully intend prepping for the walk and have already started walking on the weekends which is when I have time. I still have some questions of a practical nature though:
1) How would I book my baggage at an albergue for being transported ahead if I don't know how far I'll make it the next day?
2) Even bigger fear - what if I do NOT find accommodation for the night? I do not want to knock on many different doors until I find room - especially since this will be at the end of a long walking day and I am anticipating much tiredness and achy feet.
3) I have been told that even though the Camino is crowded, it is likely that I can go for many miles without seeing anybody - that makes me nervous too (sorry) - especially if I have to take bathroom breaks - I don't want to be by myself
Sorry about being such a wimp - but that's how it is right now.
You really should put some time into some walks in the weekdays...you find options if you put youre mind to it....weekends only...?....not my coice..

Buen Camino Sheila

Great advice indeed! CaminoDebrita - I will be happy to drink wine right now - however that leap of faith eludes me still! Honestly I don't want to be "that person" but short of a drastic personality change I really don't know how I could transform!:-(
The idea of going with the flow appeals greatly & I know I'll make friends - I just thought it would bewonderful to start off with at least one other person to keep stride.
HighlandsHiker - it is that "sense of connection" I'm looking for - all reassuring advice.
Kiwi-family/Notion900/Trecile - great suggestions - however - I still am concerned about wandering around with achy feet looking for a place to stay every night -after all I would have to knock on several doors before I find the one with available room right?!
Julia & John - practical advice - exactly what I was looking for
Plutselig - it's the small problems getting big fast that worries me the most.
I want to travel with a day pack & do not want to make the walk harder than it is; I met a pilgrim in our neighborhood who walked last year & she booked the entire trip through a tour operator & recommended it highly. I'm not planning on going crazy with extra luggage - just a small suitcase with extra socks, pair of shoes (hiking sandals appeals to me greatly), additional change of clothes etc. I didn't realize that there are transportation companies that do this & nor did I know that one can book ahead at each stop. I really was not looking forward to wandering through a village at the end of the day begging for beds. (Google translate example is funny - but heartening to realize that bad knees don't stop people from walking nonetheless) THANK YOU ALL!
I'd still like to connect with anyone who's planning to do the French route mid-August! :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You have been given great advice. I would like to add one remark: if you are uncertain about the distance you can walk,the weight you can carry and so on trying to organise everything beforehand probably will be planning problems in stead of planning solutions. Go for it and have a good time. Buen Camino

...Snip....
I want to travel with a day pack & do not want to make the walk harder than it is; I met a pilgrim in our neighborhood who walked last year & she booked the entire trip through a tour operator & recommended it highly. I'm not planning on going crazy with extra luggage - just a small suitcase with extra socks, pair of shoes (hiking sandals appeals to me greatly), additional change of clothes etc.

I didn't realize that there are transportation companies that do this & nor did I know that one can book ahead at each stop.......snip :)

I would suggest that the advice from your neighbor does not match the majority of the people on the Camino.
A "suitcase" in place of a pack will be very unusual and definitely make you stand out as "that person" as Deb described.
Take a normal well fitted backpack instead. You will then have the option to carry the pack if you find you are much stronger and prepared than you think.

All of the advice offered here are things that are discussed among the pilgrims every day on the Camino.
Most will be in exactly the same position as you and work it all out together.

Seek out the local American Pilgrim group in NoVa as @mspath suggested above
http://www.americanpilgrims.org/mid-atlantic-chapter

The best advice would be to just walk as often as you can and to NOT make any commitment to tour companies or book things ahead until you have taken a couple of weeks to browse the forum.

Enjoy.

Another point to consider - organized Camino tours tend to be expensive - if you invest the same money in (ultra)light gear you will be able to have a much lighter backpack, the freedom to walk where you want to walk to and often even save some money in the process. Buen Camino, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'd still like to connect with anyone who's planning to do the French route mid-August! :)

If you are on Facebook join the Camigas group. It's a group just for women walking the Camino. They have a calendar that you can add your name and start date to, abd possibly find another Camigas walking at the same time. Many of the Camigas also attach a Camiga patch onto their backpack so that they can recognize each other.

I would suggest that the advice from your neighbor does not match the majority of the people on the Camino.
A "suitcase" in place of a pack will be very unusual and definitely make you stand out as "that person" as Deb described.
Take a normal well fitted backpack instead. You will then have the option to carry the pack if you find you are much stronger and prepared than you think.

I agree with this advice. I would definitely not take a suitcase if you don't want to stand out.
Take a backpack that will hold all that you need. You can have a small soft bag that you can put heavy items that you won't need during the day and have that transported if necessary.
When I walked I had absolutely zero backpacking experience, and I did fine.

Oh dear - I think I may have mislead my intent - I certainly do not plan on lugging a suitcase on the trail (that would make me stupid and I'm not)!:)
More like a carry-on bag that I plan to pack with extra gear stuff that I'd like to send on from stop to stop so I can make do with a day pack and carry a light load.
I agree that the camiga I met gave me advice that is the only one so far that recommends having everything booked in advance but she's also my only face to face contact and she spent 1.5 hours talking to me.
I absolutely agree with everyone who has advised me to not get tied down - that it may well cause more problems than resolve.
Thank you all

Great advice indeed! CaminoDebrita - I will be happy to drink wine right now - however that leap of faith eludes me still! Honestly I don't want to be "that person" but short of a drastic personality change I really don't know how I could transform!:-(
The idea of going with the flow appeals greatly & I know I'll make friends - I just thought it would bewonderful to start off with at least one other person to keep stride.
HighlandsHiker - it is that "sense of connection" I'm looking for - all reassuring advice.
Kiwi-family/Notion900/Trecile - great suggestions - however - I still am concerned about wandering around with achy feet looking for a place to stay every night -after all I would have to knock on several doors before I find the one with available room right?!
Julia & John - practical advice - exactly what I was looking for
Plutselig - it's the small problems getting big fast that worries me the most.
I want to travel with a day pack & do not want to make the walk harder than it is; I met a pilgrim in our neighborhood who walked last year & she booked the entire trip through a tour operator & recommended it highly. I'm not planning on going crazy with extra luggage - just a small suitcase with extra socks, pair of shoes (hiking sandals appeals to me greatly), additional change of clothes etc. I didn't realize that there are transportation companies that do this & nor did I know that one can book ahead at each stop. I really was not looking forward to wandering through a village at the end of the day begging for beds. (Google translate example is funny - but heartening to realize that bad knees don't stop people from walking nonetheless) THANK YOU ALL!
We're going! we don't have the flight dates booked and still waiting for Diverbo to get back to us but that is our "plan" start mid August on the Camino Frances. All the advice is good....no GREAT...to you, about your fears. You are showing courage by going...the hardest part will be the first step and then all will unfold as it needs to. Trust is something that is practiced, along with the walking. When your mind starts the worry chatter, find a mantra you can repeat, breathe and say the mantra until you can "still" that chatter. All will be well. We have never done the Camino but have put ourselves in many situations that could cause much fear..sailing to Mexico from Vancouver being one of them. It is gratifying to find out how strong and resilient one can be. Buen Camino! "Live your questions now, and perhaps even without knowing it, you will live along some distant day into your answers." Rainer Maria Rilke

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh dear - I think I may have mislead my intent - I certainly do not plan on lugging a suitcase on the trail (that would make me stupid and I'm not)!:)
More like a carry-on bag that I plan to pack with extra gear stuff that I'd like to send on from stop to stop so I can make do with a day pack and carry a light load.
I agree that the camiga I met gave me advice that is the only one so far that recommends having everything booked in advance but she's also my only face to face contact and she spent 1.5 hours talking to me.
I absolutely agree with everyone who has advised me to not get tied down - that it may well cause more problems than resolve.
Thank you all
I realize that you meant that you would have the suitcase transported. I still think that a suitcase will make you stand out in the albergues. For greatest flexibility take a backpack that you can carry, and have heavy items transported as necessary.
I've never attended one, as there isn't a chapter in my area, but I understand that American Pilgrims on the Camino meetings are very helpful.
I actually searched for my hometown here on the forum and found another Pilgrim who lives close by who gave me lots of good advice and reassurance.

We are leaving SJJP around the 10th of August, most likely you will come across us along the Way :)

To echo what trecile says above, join the Camigas group on facebook. It is a closed group, but we are all very friendly there, and you are very likely to find someone walking the same time as you. You can ask virtually any question there (yes, anything!), and receive sensible answers, though the answer has probably already been posted if you search.

Camigas, a Buddy System for Women on the Camino. See you there sue-sheila!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am... anxious about... whether I can realistically walk 10-15 miles a day... I *have to* walk the entire stretch - have some grief to unload
If you are concerned about 15 miles/day, then don't set yourself up for failure. There is no "entire stretch" except what you succeed in doing. There is no official starting point - only an official end point (Santiago de Compostela). More importantly, grief does not have a set unloading distance. Perhaps shortening the distance you plan to walk (starting in Roncesvalles or Pamplona) would give you the same sense of long pilgrimage but reduce some of the pressures that add to your anxiety. Seems to me that daily walking for a few weeks is what you should seek, not to repeat a movie version of a popular route from point A to point B.
I want to reduce the number of variables ahead of time.
None of the variables you are worried about are serious dangers to your health and safety that must be eliminated. The biggest variables you will encounter are things you cannot predict, such as the weather or how you feel that day, what blisters you have, etc. You can only prepare for those uncertainties by training, by modest distance goals, and by carefully choosing what you carry. Booking your pack transport and accommodation far in advance will not eliminate the important variables and they will add new limitations.
And how would I book ahead if I don't know where I'll be stopping next?
Book your first couple of nights, at reasonable distances apart. Don't plan on 15 miles during the first few days, especially as you will be jet-lagged. Carry a smart phone with the apps for booking.com or hotels.com or Wise Pilgrim, so you can to book ahead a day or 2 or 3 or 10, when you are on the Camino. If necessary, you can stop for a day, and spend a few hours booking the rest of your journey, but at that time (after a couple of days walking) you will have a much better understanding that you do now! Trust us when we say it will be very easy to arrange bag transport on a daily basis.
You refer to a "small bag." How small and light is it actually? Start by reducing the quantity of stuff you take, so that you are not bound to have some transported.
Take a backpack that will hold all that you need. You can have a small soft bag that you can put heavy items that you won't need during the day and have that transported if necessary.
This is a point that many people seem to miss. Whatever "day pack" you plan to use should not be an inferior pack. A 30-35 L backpack should hold everything you need on the trip and is not too large to be used as a day-pack. It is great to have the ability and flexibility to carry everything in a single bag on your back if necessary, even when walking through the airport, from bus station to hotel, or from town to town. Then, if you decide you don't want to carry it walking from town to town, do as @trecile suggests and get a smallish soft bag (for example a "dry bag") to send your excess things ahead. Then you should still wear your carefully-chosen well-fitted 30-35 L backpack, simply with less stuff in it. That size is not unreasonable for a "day pack" anyway, and it should be very comfortable when loaded, should have chest strap and hip belt even for use as a day pack. When setting off for the day, you will have the weight of water, spare layers, rain wear, etc.

I really was not looking forward to wandering through a village at the end of the day begging for beds.
It will NOT be at the end of the day. Most people walk from 7am to about 1pm. IF you cannot find a bed you then have at least SEVEN hours to try the albergue up the street, get a bus, taxi, phone around, use booking.com etc etc. But having read the thread, I feel that nothing we can say can reassure you about the accommodation situation. If you want to use a package company, don't feel bad about it. You'll meet the same people every day who are also on your tour, so that will be company.

I am going to be really honest now and will probably be reprimanded by the moderators for it, but you have described yourself as a 'Nervous Wreck' in your post heading and then asked for someone who is also nervous to walk with you. Would you commit to walk with someone who described themselves as that? Or would you be very worried that they might need more support than you could provide? People like to meet in person and check each other out a bit, before they walk all day, or several days, or 400 miles with someone. When you post on CAMIGAS, just say 'Hi!! I am really excited and a bit nervous! Looking for someone for the first day or two!'

Last edited:
Thank you both for your tips and advice - much appreciated!
1) I *have to* walk the entire stretch - have some grief to unload
3) I am located in Northern VA - very close to D.C.
I am open to all the guidance & advice everyone can give me.
Thank you
Welcome to the forum from another Northern VA-er. :)I'm leaving for Spain two weeks from today on my very first Camino. This forum is an amazing resource and others, more experienced than I, have given you great advice and tips. Do follow them! I'm a little bit anxious, but not as much afraid as excited (think Christmas morning when you were a kid and couldn't wait to go open the presents). :D
I'm kind of an obsessive planner and I like to know what's ahead, which is exactly why I'm NOT planning much of anything as far as my Camino is concerned. I simply want to drink it all in and just experience life as it comes. Feel free to send me a PM, @sue-sheila, if you need any advice. You're not leaving until a month after I return so I'll be happy to share what I've learned by then.

I just finished my first Camino, having trekked around the world. I did the Primitivo which is shorter, isolated and some say more difficult. I know Spain generally and well so the key is to be flexible and make it "your" camino, a cliche but true.
In August you will have great heat (it's hot here now) and lots of European backpackers doing the Frances as a holiday. It will be crowded and some accommodations booked by groups. Many folks arrange baggage pickup so you can walk less encumbered. There is lots of road walking. On the Frances there is always food, water, etc and you'll rarely be alone. Taking the occasional bus or taxi is fine and even a good idea. It won't diminish your healing....buon camino.

Only once were we not able to find a bed in a tiny village-- the kind woman there called 5km ahead and made a reservation for us. We also had the option of walking 1.5 miles back to an albergue, but I didn't want to re-walk the section. We walked in the Spring.

A friend of mine walked with a tour group, and liked it. I thought about it at first, but then realized I needed to go an my own pace- stopping where I'd like, going on if I wanted to. I carried my own gear- my pack was about 18 pounds. I had clean clothes to change into at night and sandals for me feet too.

Buen camino.

I am extremely grateful for all the input and helpful tips. Notion900 - I'll answer your honesty with my own - I would indeed go with anyone who's either a little or equally nervous unless it's someone who's done the Camino before and knows all the ropes. As others have repeatedly pointed out - apparently there will be hundreds of pilgrims who will feel the same way albeit in varying degrees.
I was thinking of a carry-on size bag with (e.g.) rain gear, fleece jacket, extra shorts/tshirt etc that based on the daily weather report I could either send onwards or swap out with other items in my day pack. I want to carry just water & snacks & first aid kit & other essentials. I was advised by another pilgrim that this is a good idea. If it turns out that I stride the Camino like it's a walk in the park & discover that a backpack wighing 18lbs doesn't bother me a jot then I can revise my planning right?! :)
StepheninDC - how fabulously exciting! I'd love to get in touch with you and talk.
Thank you everyone!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was thinking of a carry-on size bag with (e.g.) rain gear, fleece jacket, extra shorts/tshirt etc that based on the daily weather report I could either send onwards or swap out with other items in my day pack. I want to carry just water & snacks & first aid kit & other essentials. I was advised by another pilgrim that this is a good idea. If it turns out that I stride the Camino like it's a walk in the park & discover that a backpack wighing 18lbs doesn't bother me a jot then I can revise my planning right!

Hi sue-sheila,
I concur with all the others above. Many are very experienced indeed, I'd go with their advice !
Just a few comments: I don't understand the 'carry-on size bag'... Is it a rucksack or a 'normal' bag you will HAVE to have transported?
I assume you are walking the Camino francés? In which case it is not necessary to carry food (which is heavy!) other than maybe a piece of fruit or a chocolate bar. There are places all along the way where you can buy something to eat. Have you got a guidebook? A good one will tell you exactly what facilities there are along the route so you can plan accordingly.

I too was worried about walking and carrying a pack the first time, I had never done it. Frankly, I had serious doubts whether I could do it, day after day.
So out of sheer panic, I packed the minimum (my pack was 4.9 kg on the airport scales) and I found it was very manageable even with water added. I have kept to that packing list ever since.

This may work to alleviate the stress (or it may not! ) but my suggestion is this: why don't you pack a small, comfortable rucksack with all your basic needs - there are good packing lists on this forum - and go walking one week-end, just a few kms to start with?

All the best and tell us how it goes :)

Last edited:
Thank you - for the wishes, the guidance and the time.
I know now with certainty that I am going to turn down the plan that the tour operator has put together for me & do it on my own (I do feel bad as she has worked so hard at customizing this and now I feel I strung her along! :-(
As for the carry-on that I HAVE to have (HaHa) - yes a regular carry-on bag with extras - socks, change of clothes, jackets etc.
Thank you everyone for sharing your own experiences & apprehensions that were overcome; I hope to be in your shoes in a couple of months.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well done @sue-sheila ! Book your first three nights with the albergues, planning to walk very do-able distances. You don't have to start in St Jean - Spanish people don't! If they want to walk 'the whole way' (whatever that is), they start in Roncesvalles.

As for your bags, a good tactic is to have as the 'day' bag (the one you walk with) a lightweight, medium size pack but big enough to carry all your stuff - IF you later choose to do so. So around 30-35 litres size. I can recommend this one. And have as the 'transported' bag a cheap packaway holdall, which can be squashed down to nothing when empty. That way you have complete flexibility to use bag transport or not, as you please: when first starting out or on hot days you can chuck everything in the holdall and walk unburdened with a nearly empty pack, and when the weather is changeable or you just don't want to tie yourself down to a fixed destination, you have the option to empty out the holdall and carry everything.

As your plans, fitness and gear start to come together, I think the nerves will naturally start to reduce. What would be great would be to have 2 or 3 nice contacts off CAMIGAS who are starting same day as you. And I mean contacts, not people who you expect to have committed to walk with you.

Last edited:
Lots of good advice here. Not sure if anyone mentioned using an app on your phone to book ahead. I was a late-leaver and a slow walker who didn't want to rush during the day, so I would usually book ahead with the Wise Pilgrim Camino Frances app on my iphone. I would just book for that night, not days ahead (other than the first four nights, when I had booked Bayonne--SJPP--Orisson--Roncavalles.)

The Wise Pilgrim app uses Booking.com to book both hotels and some albergues. A few times I found myself at the end of a long day in a city with no where to stay. I just used the app to search hotels nearby, booked myself a place, and walked the few blocks to my lodging.

There were other times I had nowhere booked, and just showed up at an albergue, and got the last bed. Those are the true Camino adventures, and I wouldn't trade them for the security of always knowing where I'm going to be staying.

@sue-sheila, the advice you'll get from most folks who have walked the Camino is--don't bring a carry on PLUS a backpack. You'd be one of the few people doing that, and for good reason. It will be a pain in the neck to be trying to keep track of all that gear, plus you don't need all that gear. Keep it simple.

Shoot for a comfortable backpack that's about 10% of your weight. My pack was about 16lbs, including a water bottle and snacks (always had a small bag of dried fruit, nuts, a hunk of bread and some cheese and chocolate with me.) It felt good to be wearing it! My pack became my companion.

If you send a bag ahead, you'll be always thinking about whether you have with you what you need for the day, plus you'll be tied to staying at the albergue where your bag is heading. Part of the joy for me of the Camino was the feeling of freedom and self-sufficiency that came from deciding things as I went along, and having just enough, and what I needed with me at all times. And we don't need very much!

Here's my packing list, you'll find many others on the forum. What you bring will be influenced by the time of year you go, of course.

I agree with others, while at home get out every day, in all weather, and walk for a couple of miles with your loaded pack on. On the weekends, go a little farther. I didn't walk more than 6 miles while "training", but I got used to my pack, shoes and poles, which was a big help once I'd started.

The whole point of this is to have an adventure, take a walk into the unknown, meet strangers, confront yourself. It's not supposed to be always comfortable, understandable, or predictable. It's a pilgrimage, just go!

Attachments

• Caminopacking list(1).pdf
    48.7 KB · Views: 27
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
. . . and by the time you get to Burgos you'll be wondering what happened to that nervous wreck you left behind you. By the time you get to Leon you'll be the old pro chuckling at the newbies in clean, pressed clothes just joining. By the time you get to Sarria you'll be shaking your head in disbelief at the 100km pilgrims and by the time you reach Santiago you'll be planning the next trip.

I was reading an article the other day and there was one thing I particularly liked.

It said write down the three worst fears you have about what you intend to be doing. Seal the paper in an envelope and put it somewhere safe (bottom of your rucksack?). When you have finished open the envelope read the note and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Have a GREAT Camino, come back and pass your new found knowledge on to the next generation.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sabbot - thank you for that comprehensive packing list - super helpful. Jeff & Bill - that's good pep talk and I hope to report back & prove you (& everyone else) right! :)

Hi Sue-Sheila

I would like to share my experience with you, for what it's worth. Since I am from South Africa, I only had this one opportunity to do the pilgrimage, and had fixed dates because of living so far away. I walked solo the exact same dates last year that you are planning to do this year. I did not have grief to unload, but I wanted to celebrate my recovery from breast cancer. It took me 15 years to get to the Camino after my recovery, and after looking forward to the walk for so many years, the main lesson I learnt from my experience was that reality differs completely from the plans I had made and the expectations I had. For example, I got severe bronchitis on my way there from someone in the airplane, and I was so sick at the beginning that I could not cross the Pyrenees and had to ask Express Bouricot in SJdP to take me to Roncesvalles with their transport, sitting alone in the mini-van among other people's backpacks. I therefore could only start walking from Roncesvalles, and only do short stretches at the beginning. When I got to Pamplona, I was so tired and sick that I had to rest there for two days. Then, when I felt stronger, I ripped the skin off my foot (out of mere stupidity using the wrong type of tape) and could not walk for three days - which meant I got even more behind my initial schedule, which was supposed to be on average 17 km a day. I had no choice but to take an occasional bus to get back on schedule. Other smaller things happened along the way as well which kept me from doing exactly as planned, and I had to improvise. The bonus was that I was on my own, and could take decisions without annoying or discomforting anyone else. With regard to accommodation, I never made bookings ahead of time, but I must admit that I mainly stayed in pensions, casas rurales or small hotels, as I was 62 at the time. The two nights I stayed in albergues were too stressful to me. I never started before 7 or 8 AM, and the latest I was out on the road was 4 PM (I usually stopped at 2 PM) but never had a problem finding accommodation. Only after Sarria, I asked a friendly host to book ahead, because of the many people who start there. Also, although I met very nice people along the way and talked to many people, for me, the quiet days without having conversations during the walk meant a lot to me: I could take in the landscape. Talking to other people while walking was nice, but I tended not to register where I was going. I also felt very safe, because most of the time there were solo people or groups within sight, either ahead of me or behind me. So, my contribution is intended to reassure you that most of the time things turn out differently from what you expect, but that it is always for the good. I am already dreaming of going back there...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sue-Sheila
I start walking from SJPP 17 Aug, with a overnight stay at Orrison, and looking very forward to my trip. I only booked the first night in SJPP and the next night at Orrison and from there on I will be a free spirit that will take it as it comes.
I've attended a workshop yesterday at Hikers Paradise in SA about the Camino. The most reassured and confirmed advice was...take the Camino as it comes to you and make the most of every step and every stop. The Camino has a way to provide for everyone.
And put joy in your planning too, that already makes such a huge part of your trip.
And don't complicate it for yourself.
Just get there...and just do it!
I know you are going to enjoy it!!! Right from your first step!!
You go girl!!

May be we will meet on The Way
I'm looking forward

RiaSmit - thank you so much for sharing your experience - it is very moving and I'm so glad you were celebrating recovery!
May I ask what the temperature was like at that time of the year? I was actually thinking of starting a separate thread to ask for links - especially on the Meseta where I'm told it can shoot up to 100 & beyond. And when you say you never made bookings ahead of time is it because the hotels & pensions are more readily available?
Rentia - how exciting - you seem all poised for high adventure - good for you! If the weather is too hot during that time (research ongoing) I may move my trip to Oct/Nov. In either event buen camino!

Dear Sue-Sheila
Thank you!
What I heard from the workshop people that walked the Camino a few times already, temperatures are higher in Aug, in the 30's...but certain regions can get so cold that you have to wear gloves and beanies. September is start of Autumn.
They specifically mentioned that November is not really a good time, for it can get very uncomfortable with cold and chance of snow...it depends on each person.

Follow your heart....
and have a lovely day!

... They specifically mentioned that November is not really a good time, for it can get very uncomfortable with cold and chance of snow...it depends on each person. ...

Like my father would have said: There is no wrong weather, there is only wrong clothing/gear. I personally love walking the CF in winter - it really is a bit like in 'the good old times' whenever they were ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Like my father would have said: There is no wrong weather, there is only wrong clothing/gear. I personally love walking the CF in winter - it really is a bit like in 'the good old times' whenever they were ;-) Buen Camino, SY
Wow SYates, you inspire me for more - extending the boundaries of thinking :)
thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
September/October is a gorgeous time to walk. Some chilly mornings but not unbearable. If the heat worries you, August is not the best idea.
You cannot control all variables but you can make choices that might allow for more comfort.

Rentia/SYares/Kiwi-family - thank you all for your input. Would any of you have good links to the min/max temperature averages for August/September/October/November?
Kiwi-family - I agree about making choices that allow for comfort - I know anything above 27c/80f leads to migraines for me so would definitely like to research this carefully before making my decision. I guess the trade-offs for hot weather would be lighter backpack whereas (as SYates' father so wisely said) colder weather would mean more/heavier gear.

They specifically mentioned that November is not really a good time, for it can get very uncomfortable with cold and chance of snow...

Not to mention that -- according to what I've read -- the albergues begin shutting down in November.

€149,-
Not to mention that -- according to what I've read -- the albergues begin shutting down in November.

Not all of them, I managed a short winter/December camino last year from SJPdP to Fromista and had very manageable stages (max 25km) staying only in albergues. BC SY

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
They specifically mentioned that November is not really a good time, for it can get very uncomfortable with cold and chance of snow...
Have "they" walked in November? What were their criteria for a "good time"?

Although it is frustrating at times to read the debates and seemingly contradictory opinions here on the forum, you can really get an excellent understanding of the wide range of how people react to the many variables on the Camino. That's just the way it is, so be very careful when you hear generalizations!

It would be more convenient to have simple rules of thumb (walk in month X but not month Y; book this place X days beforehand, etc.; take exactly this list of items.) That is where organized tour operators come in.

Of course many shut down, since there is only a fraction of the number of pilgrims. But there is still plenty of accommodation to meet the needs of the people who are walking. Not a bed every km, but certainly frequent enough to be manageable for most walkers.

I walked in mid-January last year.
There were albergues open in most areas...usually only one in each area so they were pretty full. Many of the large ones just had a portion of the facility open.

Surprising numbers of first time pilgrims in mid January.
The muni in SJPP had 18 pilgrims in the one room that was open..
All but me were first time.

€60,-
I walked 1 Oct through 10 Nov in 2015, and loved it. Weather was wonderful. Too hot at the start. A bit cold on top of the mountains, but my gear was perfect. Might I add that I was only carrying about eight kilos :)

I just found a great super light weight packable duffel bag. I saw it in person at a local store, and it packs down to about the size of a large lemon, and weighs just 3 ounces/85 grams. It would be perfect to have in your backpack to use to send ahead things that you don't want to carry. Also it would be a good bag to tote your laundry, or carry purchases home from the grocery store.

We are training in the tropical heat of Florida for our August 10 - October20. Temperatures vary from 88F-94F here in Florida , we trek 20+ kilometers with full backpacks( 8kg max) 3 times a week. We are 67 & 66 yrs old. We are trying to get an idea how much liquids we will need to stay healthy in order maintain those distances along the Camino, the only problem being we cannot replicate the mountain terrains. As of now 2L of fluids is the minimum for us along with electrolyte replacement. We also know that if we need extra days of rest, we will take them :) By the way... the first 7-10 days of trekking the Camino, each of us wanted to quit a few times...we persevered and finished, as I hoe you will !!!

Buen Camino !!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are training in the tropical heat of Florida for our August 10 - October20. Temperatures vary from 88F-94F here in Florida , we trek 20+ kilometers with full backpacks( 8kg max) 3 times a week. We are 67 & 66 yrs old. We are trying to get an idea how much liquids we will need to stay healthy in order maintain those distances along the Camino, the only problem being we cannot replicate the mountain terrains. As of now 2L of fluids is the minimum for us along with electrolyte replacement. We also know that if we need extra days of rest, we will take them :) By the way... the first 7-10 days of trekking the Camino, each of us wanted to quit a few times...we persevered and finished, as I hoe you will !!!

Buen Camino !!!
Other than one approximately 17 km stretch there are plenty of places to get water along the Camino Frances, so no need to carry more than a liter or so.

Other than one approximately 17 km stretch there are plenty of places to get water along the Camino Frances, so no need to carry more than a liter or so.

We did the Camino Frances September thru November 2016 and there were many times 1 litre simply would not have been nearly enough. Many on here have said the same. It was hot, our packs were heavy and we sweated profusely.

Although it is frustrating at times to read the debates and seemingly contradictory opinions here on the forum, you can really get an excellent understanding of the wide range of how people react to the many variables on the Camino. That's just the way it is, so be very careful when you hear generalizations!
I was just thinking that this morning! On one of the Facebook groups I follow there's also a discussion on walking in October, and everyone is talking about how much it rains. It's the main theme. Here, not so much.

€149,-

Is there anyone out there who is thinking of going around the same time and is beset with similar anxieties and looking for company? // . . . Anyone?! Please?!

Your original question - a plea for companionship has gotten somewhat diluted as we have gone down the thread. But I think you may have realized by now . . . you will find a lot of people on the Camino, and you may find someone respond to this plea before you set out, but if you don't, on the Camino you will find many, many people walking the route, discussing the route, and each night planning out where they will stop the next night.

I have tentatively made arrangements with a tour company who will be transporting my (very small bag) from hostel to hostel so will be carrying only a day-pack to lighten my load and make my first Camino a little less formidable.

As people have mentioned above - with your desire to make the camino easier, you may complicate it unnecessarily with the plan to take an extra bag and have it transported. A day pack with a hip belt may be all the luggage you need, but you may not believe that for yourself until you arrive, and the suggestion C clearly made will cover both the bases.

Whatever "day pack" you plan to use should not be an inferior pack. A 30-35 L backpack should hold everything you need on the trip and is not too large to be used as a day-pack. It is great to have the ability and flexibility to carry everything in a single bag on your back if necessary, even when walking through the airport, from bus station to hotel, or from town to town. Then, if you decide you don't want to carry it walking from town to town, do as @trecile suggests and get a smallish soft bag (for example a "dry bag") to send your excess things ahead. Then you should still wear your carefully-chosen well-fitted 30-35 L backpack, simply with less stuff in it. That size is not unreasonable for a "day pack" anyway, and it should be very comfortable when loaded, should have chest strap and hip belt even for use as a day pack. When setting off for the day, you will have the weight of water, spare layers, rain wear, etc.

We understand the overwhelming feelings the Camino can raise, and there are pilgrims who travel with the tours, you will not find many of those here, as they get most of their information from the Tour company and usually don't seek out an internet forum to get their Camino details. But which ever way you choose, you have the potential for an amazing Camino!

Keep reading - keep searching - keep dreaming!

Buen Camino

I was just thinking that this morning! On one of the Facebook groups I follow there's also a discussion on walking in October, and everyone is talking about how much it rains. It's the main theme. Here, not so much.
Has "everyone" walked in October or are they just talking? I have walked twice in October and the weather was great. Toward the end of November it did get darker and wetter especially in Galicia.

Walked the Frances in October 2015 and the only rain was as usual in Santiago, at the beginning of November :(

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A quote: "Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne. I walked The Camino in 2015. I will be walking it again this fall. The best advice I received was from my Father....have fun. I was so fearful. I would remember his advice and take a breath.

I will be in the D.C. area the end to f July f you want to meet and talk. I am no great sage, but perhaps you might have some questions answered

Has "everyone" walked in October or are they just talking? I have walked twice in October and the weather was great. Toward the end of November it did get darker and wetter especially in Galicia.
It was a mix of mostly hot sunny days with some nasty cold rainy ones thrown in for good measure but over all, a great time to trek the Camino :)

Hi Sue-Sheila --

A year ago, I was in your exact position. In fact, every, single aspect of the Camino that I'd worried and obsessed over turned out to be inventions of my anxious mind -- almost laughably so -- and other, smaller things were actually more of a problem.

I'd advise, strongly, against trying to find someone to walk with all of the time, for a few reasons. First of all, in August/September, the Camino will be mobbed -- perhaps too much so! You'll meet an endless stream of pilgrims, from all over the world, and will find that as you run into them again and again and again, it's almost like running into old friends you haven't seen in ages. In fact, you'll almost certainly meet new friends on that first night in St. Jean, before you even step foot on the trail. I'm an introvert, and need alone time, but found myself part of a multinational group who ended up hanging out off-and-on until we all met up in Santiago. You'll never have to walk alone unless you really want to.

As for physical fitness . . . I have a lung problem (cystic fibrosis) and had huge concerns about whether I'd be able to make it. If you're walking 2.5 miles an hour, you'll be fine. For me, the most challenging day out was the first, through the Pyrenees. Oddly, I didn't struggle at all heading up to O'Cebreiro, which many find to be more difficult. I averaged anywhere from 12-14 miles a day, some less, a few much more. Start out slowly. With each day (and with nothing else to do but walk) you'll build endurance.

As a woman hiking alone, I was obviously apprehensive about my safety. I sewed a pocket into my bras, where I kept my bank and credit cards, as well as some emergency cash. I also brought along a plastic phone pouch on a lanyard, in which I kept my phone, passport, cards, cash, and all other valuables during showers. I had no problems with theft, but met six pilgrims who had their trekking poles stolen.

One other bit of advice: I was the only pilgrim I know of who completed the route, St. Jean to Santiago to Muxia, without a single blister or any foot pain at all. I attribute this to two things: 1) months before I left, I tried several different pairs of hiking shoes/boots, and tested them out on long-ish (4-7) mile walks in my hilly neighborhood. The pair that was far and away the most comfortable and supportive was NOT the fancy North Face trail runners, but a cheap-ish pair of Fila trail runners that I'd bought on clearance on vacation after I'd forgotten to bring sneakers. So the $150. North Face shoes were relegated to dog walking, and the cheapo Filas flew to France. I had NO blisters, foot, leg, or knee pain throughout the entire Camino -- only the garden variety fatigue that's to be expected of hiking such distances. (Blisters had been my biggest fear.) Also, a few months before I left, I started walking as much as possible, in all conditions and on all terrain. I walked in my crazy-hilly neighborhood after dark, wearing my headlamp and my pack and using my trekking poles. The neighbors quickly adjusted to this spectacle. I live on the Atlantic coast, and would hike on the sandy beaches for an hour, wearing the pack. I drove to New Hampshire a couple times to hike in the mountains with my fully loaded pack, in an effort to replicate the first couple days of the Camino.

And it worked. There were other emergencies, sure: I contracted pneumonia in Paris, and had to delay my travel south, and then set off in less-than-optimal health. I also came down with nightmare-caliber food poisoning in Terradillo de los Templarios and had to go into the hospital in, I think, Leon, for IV hydration. And then, on the VERY LAST NIGHT -- as in, like, 5km from Santiago -- I was eaten alive by bedbugs (in the most immaculate hostal rural I'd ever seen. (Which just goes to show . . . bedbugs aren't exclusive to the dirtier places.) So there were hardships befitting a true pilgrim, but really, everything I'd worried so much about -- walking alone, blisters, safety and thieves, physical fitness -- just didn't happen. I think you'll relax once you're there.

€60,-
I walked last fall, from the end of September until November 1st, and had virtually NO rain. There were sprinkles and mistiness a few times, but the weather from St. Jean to Santiago was virtually perfect.

Hi Sue-Sheila --

A year ago, I was in your exact position. In fact, every, single aspect of the Camino that I'd worried and obsessed over turned out to be inventions of my anxious mind -- almost laughably so -- and other, smaller things were actually more of a problem.
I'd advise, strongly, against trying to find someone to walk with all of the time, for a few reasons. First of all, in August/September, the Camino will be mobbed -- perhaps too much so! You'll meet an endless stream of pilgrims.
Hi Erin - Thank you so much for sharing your experience and the reassurances. Unfortunately the same time as I was reading your post I came across another one about a scary incident with a peregrina facing a gun toting guy in the early morning hours! while I fully realize that such occurrences are rare I also can't think that it couldn't happen to me!!! I don't necessarily want to be mobbed but do intend to stay within sight of others just to feel safer!☺Thank you again!

In this particular thread I got the feeling that everyone was trying to one up the other. One person wrote that it rained three days in a row. The next person wrote that it rained a week straight on his camino. And the next guy, it rained 17 solid days when he walked ... so who knows how much was true and how much was exaggeration.

Hello! I am going the beginning of September. I am starting in saria. I have the same fears as you share. I am also going alone. When and where are you starting?
Julie

Welcome to the forum @julie henderson and I can assume you that starting from Sarria at the beginning of September there is no way you will ever be alone. More likely you will be fighting for space on the trail!

Hello! I am going the beginning of September. I am starting in saria. I have the same fears as you share. I am also going alone. When and where are you starting?
Julie
Hi Julie - I am starting mid-August from SJPDP! I don't think I'll make it to Sarria by September beginning but I'm planning to (at least) start each morning with others so that I have some company in the early morning time! As for the rest, I'm banking on everyone here being prophetic when they say that it'll be hard to avoid fellow pilgrims in Aug/Sep!! :)
Buen Camino

€46,-
Hi @sue-sheila ..I will be starting mid-August 2017 from SJPDP as well. I live in Northern VA and am a slow walker as well. I'm sure I will run into you on the Camino, but if you want to catch-up before we leave for Spain, I would love to.

Sue-Sheila
I walked my first Camino last summer...the same nerves. I walked with Multiple Sklerosis. I booked Orrison before I left, as well as St Jean. This is a good idea. After that the hardest days were the ones I prebooked because then I was forced to walk that far. I left Canada to walk alone....yet you'll make friends along the way...and it's an awful feeling when you want to stay with them and are forced to push on because you've pretty booked. Nothing wrong with having your pack taken ahead...but again you don't know until you start....I carried mine each and every step...still amazes me....don't over pack !!! Less is more. You may leave home alone but you'll gain many friends along the way...being alone on the Camino is by choice. Emerse yourself ...talk to people and enjoy.....I'm jealous I'm not in your shoes. ...it's a very enriching experience. ..a perfect place to resolve and heal.
Buen Camino

Penny - thank you for sharing your experience. I will try to walk with my backpack & all that I own on the Camino but will have no qualms shipping ahead if the weight gets to me; but I absolutely get the constraint of being tied down to a specific place & not having the flexibility to walk on or stop short and how restrictive that must feel. I'll play it by ear I guess!:)
Thank you for taking the time to send me this post and your best wishes. Appreciate it!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

My friend do not worry. Transfer the tickets to me and I will walk the Camino in your place. :)

In all seriousness, of course there will be nervousness. Take your time on your camino, it is yours and yours only! The first few days listen extra carefully to your body. Take your shoes off every couple of hours to avoid the early blisters if you can. Your strength will grow with time on the camino. Remember, you can always go forward if necessary, you can't go back! If you find yourself to be too far behind by walking slow, have no fear. There are stages that require less of the body and more of the mind deeper into the camino, this is where you can also gain some ground.

BUEN CAMINO!!!!!!!!

Thank you for those words of encouragement! And the (so) kind offer to walk in my stead! Sorry I can't take you up!

Hi Erin - Thank you so much for sharing your experience and the reassurances. Unfortunately the same time as I was reading your post I came across another one about a scary incident with a peregrina facing a gun toting guy in the early morning hours! while I fully realize that such occurrences are rare I also can't think that it couldn't happen to me!!! I don't necessarily want to be mobbed but do intend to stay within sight of others just to feel safer!☺Thank you again!

Hi, sue-sheila, just reading your posts and realized that you are talking about my experience with the Spanish peregrina on the Norte outside Baamonde. I don't know if you kept up with the thread till the end, but you should know that I (and all the other solo walking females who learned of and were initially freaked out by this incident) found that we soon regained our sense of calm. I wound up walking alone to Muxia after reaching Santiago, was generally alone, and was delighted to find I was never nervous or anxious. If you haven't read LesBrass' post on walking alone, I'd recommend it. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/where-did-you-find-the-courage.49353/

I found that I was able to talk myself back to sanity by making all sorts of rational comparisons (the main one being that my own community, where I freely "roam alone" on foot and on bike, is exponentially more dangerous than the Camino, where the total number of violent crimes over the last twenty years, on ALL caminos in Spain, has not passed 20 or so), but for some people reason just doesn't work. If that's you, then you should definitely not set yourself up for an anxious camino. But maybe you will find that you can be alert, walk alone, and really get into that zone -- my only advice would be to keep an open mind and see how you feel, because those of us who regularly walk alone cannot imagine having to give it up! Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Peregrina2000 - thank you for the reassurance and glad that the rest of your walk was uneventful. I will read the post on walking alone and see how much it restores my (miniscule reserves) of confidence!:)

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back