• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

nervous wreck

heitgl

Time of past OR future Camino
September-October 2013
I have been speaking with someone who did the Camino in the spring. At first it was reassuring and I thought I would just figure everything out. They booked hotels for each leg of the walk so they didn't have to worry about accommodation. He said that some women friends who are doing it now are finding all the albergues full and even had to keep walking to the next town to find a place to stay. This makes me incredibly nervous as I don't know how far I can walk in a day so I don't know what towns to book a room for. Does it ever happen that you can't find a place to stay in a town? I am not married to the idea of only staying in albergues, in fact I prefer to stay in the private hostels in the smaller towns.

Also he said he met a woman who got lost on the trail to Samos and was cut up and it sounded horrible. I am planning on taking the train from Madrid to Sarria then a taxi to Samos and spending my first night there then start walking from Samos. But now I'm not so sure that is a good idea. I will be alone (although of course hope to find others to walk with) and don't have reliable backwoods experience. I would also love a recommendation for where to stay my first night in Samos.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I leave next Wednesday and have turned into a nervous wreck over this!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have been speaking with someone who did the Camino in the spring. At first it was reassuring and I thought I would just figure everything out. They booked hotels for each leg of the walk so they didn't have to worry about accommodation. He said that some women friends who are doing it now are finding all the albergues full and even had to keep walking to the next town to find a place to stay. This makes me incredibly nervous as I don't know how far I can walk in a day so I don't know what towns to book a room for. Does it ever happen that you can't find a place to stay in a town? I am not married to the idea of only staying in albergues, in fact I prefer to stay in the private hostels in the smaller towns.

Also he said he met a woman who got lost on the trail to Samos and was cut up and it sounded horrible. I am planning on taking the train from Madrid to Sarria then a taxi to Samos and spending my first night there then start walking from Samos. But now I'm not so sure that is a good idea. I will be alone (although of course hope to find others to walk with) and don't have reliable backwoods experience. I would also love a recommendation for where to stay my first night in Samos.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I leave next Wednesday and have turned into a nervous wreck over this?
I wouldn't worry too much about where to stay. There are lots of options along the way. I walked from St Jean Pied de Port to Finisterre in May / June of this year (2013). I only had a couple of occasions where I had problems finding a place to stay and generally speaking the next village is only a few kilometers further. I never made a reservation along the way and things always worked out as they should. I never even had a guide book, I just followed my heart and the yellow arrows. Don't stress yourself out needlessly. You will be fine. Relax and enjoy your Camino.

heitgl,

Nervous anticipation is a very natural thing most pilgrims will feel before beginning their Camino, so you are not alone on this issue.

Rest assured that you will have little trouble finding a place to sleep each night in your Camino, especially if you seek non-albergue lodgings. And you shouldn't need to worry about reserving a room.

Search "private rooms" in this forum and you will find lots of threads and information dedicated to this issue.

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Any advice would be much appreciated. I leave next Wednesday and have turned into a nervous wreck over this?

I'm sorry to hear about the lady who got lost walking from Samos. Her story is not a common one though. The way is clearly marked, and backwoods experience is not a requirement. Try to relax, you're going to have a great time!

Please relax; you will be fine. Check this Eroski list
and the Mundicamino list for possible albergues and private places to stay along your way. The camino is well marked so you should have no problems. In Samos I have often stayed at the monastery albergue which is, however, a bit Spartan. One VERY good place to eat is the Veiga on the west of town. They also have rooms .

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
If at all possible, try not to listen to horror stories. I did the same walk you are doing and I never, ever encountered trouble. Just go and walk, one day at a time. There will be a place to sleep. There is always a place to sleep. It's possible to get lost but not likely. If you are not sure of a trail just sit and wait and someone will come along and guide you. Buen camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I leave next Wednesday and have turned into a nervous wreck over this!

In general, the path is very well marked. The chances of losing your way are very small. The simplest piece of advice I would offer is twofold: 1) pay attention to where you are walking, especially if you reach a junction of any kind and 2) If you do find yourself in a situation where you haven't seen a yellow arrow or other marker in a while, stop and, if necessary, retrace your steps. The camino (especially the portion you will be covering), is not a remote wilderness hike.

Relax! I walked the camino with little preparation, no guide book or mobile phone and despite being nervous before I started, I had a great time. Pre- camino nerves are common, just follow the yellow arrows, be open to what comes along , and youl'll be fine.

Wow, bless you, please relax! The Way is incredibly well sign posted - it is almost impossible to get lost unless your focus had drifted entirely. That story about the lady getting lost and hurt must be one in a million and I am sorry for her that she experienced such a shock at the same time you are getting the story second hand it may be no where near as bad as it sounds. You either walk at a time when it is quiet - early spring, late autumn - and you will be sure of a bed in an albergue. Or you walk at a busy time and you will be sure of company! The camino is an inner path as well as an outer one - so you will come into the experiences you need to heal. I wouldn't mind betting you come home a much less nervous person for overcoming whatever challenges you face. Any idea that external challenges are separate from our internal state is an illusion - so if you stay connected to God (the Universe, Nature, Grace, Love... whatever word works for you), to yourself and to your fellow pilgrims (in that order) then you will be sure of a smooth experience. If you are worried about not getting a bed then pace yourself, make sure you aren't running on empty when you reach your planned stop - so don't overextend yourself - build evenings off into your routine so you get to your destination early afternoon, siesta and kick back. I had miracle after miracle on my camino of kindnesses and gifts of money for hotels and great places to stay just showing up. I never went without a bed. And I was only alone when I wanted to be. All is well, go well, be at peace and buen camino xxx

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
heigl. I, too, am in the "don't worry" camp. Although a male, I walked during May / June (2009) and only once had to go a bit farther to find an albergue. By the way, had I been traveling alone then I could have stayed - one bed! You tend to find a group of folks with whom you are comfortable and with whom you can travel as you see fit - more or less depending on your wishes. Several times on the camino I (or the group of folks I "travelled" with) was/were joined by a female pilgrim who felt more comfortable traveling with others. They came and went at their convenience and were always welcome as they wished. I'm sure you'll find it the same.
Buen Camino!

Thank you all so much. It feels so good to have a large group of people to calm my nerves. And great advice to hop in a taxi and find a bed if needed, wouldn't have thought of that one.
It's funny how calm I was and feeling good about not knowing anything, then, bam! Amazing how one little thing can throw you off track. I'm sure I will return from my trip and laugh at myself and how insecure I felt. Just wish I could have that send of humor now :)
Thank you all!!!

wouldn't have thought of that one.
Be careful that you do not pack up a bunch of artificial rules about what a pilgrimage should be -- distance you should walk, places you should stop, no buses, no taxis, etc. They can make your pilgrimage an unpleasant ordeal.:)

For the camino to provide, you need an open mind. If you begin by rejecting some answers that you might get, it will provide unhappiness.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Hello....I walked the Camino for the month of May.2013 from Pamplona....I was by myself and it was also my first time to Europe.....I was VERY nervous to leave the safety of my Pamplona hotel room and set foot to trail. I am so glad I did.....many people on this site say the Camino will provide....and with humble agreement, I do admit that this is true.....I walked for 28 days....I Laughed and I Cried....it was the most rewarding experience that I....Lil' Ol' Me.....accomplished all on my own......I will let you know that I found myself on the trail one VERY rainy day.....No one passed me for hours.....I felt very PROUD of myself that my personal speed was picking up.....I walked along at a confident pace as the trail narrowed and became less groomed. I realized I had made a mistake....I was NOT walking Faster than the others....No one was in front of me....No one was behind me....I had made a wrong turn.....I checked my map and I checked my compass...I was still heading South West....I was just a little MISPLACED....I could have cried and felt sorry for myself but that would not have changed the fact that I was alone.....off in the very FAR distance I could see the freeway and buildings....so I plodded along and approached an older TRUCKSTOP....I spent the night at the truckstop and had a GREAT truckers breakfast of Ham and Eggs and Homemade Bread that was warm out of the oven.....After breakfast I gathered up my gear and walked along the edge of the Freeway until I saw a YELLOW ARROW.....YAY ME.....I did it! I was back on the path to Santiago....Looking back on it now.....I think that was the best breakfast of my BIG ADVENTURE....I am sooooo lucky to have made a wrong turn that lead me to a tale to tell....this is one of many stories I have shared with my children and grandchildren....Go the the Camino and bring home your own memories and laugh at your mistakes....you will have to make room in your heart for the many moments of the Camino that you will cherish....I wish you well and a part of me wishes I could be there to watch you approach that first hill....not to laugh, but to smile.....you will be JUST FINE.....Buen Camino

You do your best to prepare for your walk. Shoes,pack,gear ,maps ?,guide book?,and then you walk. It is joy. It is difficult. You get lost and then you find your way. Letting go of what you think it should be will grow trust in what is. It is body mind and heart working together.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

You can hear anything if you listen long enough.

Apparently 180 000 people walked the section from Samos to Santiago last year ... here you are fretting about the one who got lost ...

Yes it may occur that the accomodations are full and you will have to keep walking. Solution to that is plan to stop early. That way you can count on having the energy to keep going to the next place.

A more likely scenario is that the albergues are starting to close because there are no longer enough customers to keep the beds full. The Xunta operated albergues will remain open and many have capacity for more than a hundred.

Bus stops would make a reasonable bivouac for a night if you do get caught out. One uncomfortable night won't kill you.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

The monistary albergue was closed two nights ago in Samos due to bugs. While it should be opened ahain soon you might want to make a reservation there for a private albergue.

I have been on the Camino for 35 days now and have always found a place to sleep without having to walk into another town.

I believe that it is very difficult to get lost along the Camino. Don't worry about that!

Things would've much more easy than apear to be!
From Samos to Santiago you would find a lot of pilgrims , but you also have many albergues and little hostels , so i don't think you would have any problems finding a place to stay.
Buen Camino and let it go .
Trust!!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It was one year ago exactly that I left for Spain to walk the Camino from Sarria to Santiago, then on to Muxia and Finnesterre. We did not have any reservations and we never had a problem finding a place to stay. The way is well marked. One of my "lessons of the Camino": trust the way markers, and trust that there will be way markers. As someone else said, if you feel lost, you can wait and see if another pilgrim comes your way, or you can ask the locals for help. I found the people of Spain to be very gracious and exceedingly helpful. Buen Camino!

Thank you all so much. It feels so good to have a large group of people to calm my nerves. And great advice to hop in a taxi and find a bed if needed, wouldn't have thought of that one.
It's funny how calm I was and feeling good about not knowing anything, then, bam! Amazing how one little thing can throw you off track. I'm sure I will return from my trip and laugh at myself and how insecure I felt. Just wish I could have that send of humor now :)
Thank you all!!!
You will have an amazing experience, I am sure. When I rode the Camino with my husband in July, we never found problems getting beds - although, because we were on bicycles, we had to wait until there were no more walking pilgrims to cater for. We understood this because it was so much easier for us to ride on if necessary. Most albergues are also very happy to bring out extra mattresses if necessary, so you shouldn't have any problems with accommodation. Finding the next yellow arrow or shell soon becomes part of the experience. As you will definitely come back a changed person. My husband says that I have changed, although I cannot see it myself. But he has mentioned that I'm not as 'timid' or afraid to do new things as I used to be! Buen Camino and leave a 'love vibe' along the camino from me. We cannot wait to go again.

Very nice hotel. They dusted off the queimada set on request, and read the incantation for us at a very reasonable price.
Victoria
Calle el Salvador, 4
27620 Samos
Lugo, Spain

There is an albergue just across the street. Both are across from the monastery albergue where we watched the mice cavort before deciding to go to the hotel...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wow, bless you, please relax! The Way is incredibly well sign posted - it is almost impossible to get lost unless your focus had drifted entirely. That story about the lady getting lost and hurt must be one in a million and I am sorry for her that she experienced such a shock at the same time you are getting the story second hand it may be no where near as bad as it sounds. You either walk at a time when it is quiet - early spring, late autumn - and you will be sure of a bed in an albergue. Or you walk at a busy time and you will be sure of company! The camino is an inner path as well as an outer one - so you will come into the experiences you need to heal. I wouldn't mind betting you come home a much less nervous person for overcoming whatever challenges you face. Any idea that external challenges are separate from our internal state is an illusion - so if you stay connected to God (the Universe, Nature, Grace, Love... whatever word works for you), to yourself and to your fellow pilgrims (in that order) then you will be sure of a smooth experience. If you are worried about not getting a bed then pace yourself, make sure you aren't running on empty when you reach your planned stop - so don't overextend yourself - build evenings off into your routine so you get to your destination early afternoon, siesta and kick back. I had miracle after miracle on my camino of kindnesses and gifts of money for hotels and great places to stay just showing up. I never went without a bed. And I was only alone when I wanted to be. All is well, go well, be at peace and buen camino xxx
I would agree with all of the above, especially "I wouldn't mind betting you come home a much less nervous person for overcoming whatever challenges you face" - This has definitely happened for me. Good luck, travel well, stay calm and may your journey be a wonderful one. Smiles.

Hello....I walked the Camino for the month of May.2013 from Pamplona....I was by myself and it was also my first time to Europe.....I was VERY nervous to leave the safety of my Pamplona hotel room and set foot to trail. I am so glad I did.....many people on this site say the Camino will provide....and with humble agreement, I do admit that this is true.....I walked for 28 days....I Laughed and I Cried....it was the most rewarding experience that I....Lil' Ol' Me.....accomplished all on my own......I will let you know that I found myself on the trail one VERY rainy day.....No one passed me for hours.....I felt very PROUD of myself that my personal speed was picking up.....I walked along at a confident pace as the trail narrowed and became less groomed. I realized I had made a mistake....I was NOT walking Faster than the others....No one was in front of me....No one was behind me....I had made a wrong turn.....I checked my map and I checked my compass...I was still heading South West....I was just a little MISPLACED....I could have cried and felt sorry for myself but that would not have changed the fact that I was alone.....off in the very FAR distance I could see the freeway and buildings....so I plodded along and approached an older TRUCKSTOP....I spent the night at the truckstop and had a GREAT truckers breakfast of Ham and Eggs and Homemade Bread that was warm out of the oven.....After breakfast I gathered up my gear and walked along the edge of the Freeway until I saw a YELLOW ARROW.....YAY ME.....I did it! I was back on the path to Santiago....Looking back on it now.....I think that was the best breakfast of my BIG ADVENTURE....I am sooooo lucky to have made a wrong turn that lead me to a tale to tell....this is one of many stories I have shared with my children and grandchildren....Go the the Camino and bring home your own memories and laugh at your mistakes....you will have to make room in your heart for the many moments of the Camino that you will cherish....I wish you well and a part of me wishes I could be there to watch you approach that first hill....not to laugh, but to smile.....you will be JUST FINE.....Buen Camino
I also got lost a couple of times, took a wrong turn here and there, once, ending up miles away from where I had intended to be, but suddenly, I spied a yellow arrow once again.....whew, a sigh of relief, dried my eyes and off I went again. Yes, I was scared at times, felt lost and lonely but I think that this happens to most of us at one time or another.....smiles

Hi heitgl

Your concerns are normal and common for many that have never walked the camino. I remember when back in 2007 I was always thinking about where we would be staying that night and if they would be beds for my wife and myself. Back then the camino Frances was less busy than it is today but some reason I worried about this needlessly. Almost most nights we found beds for ourselves and most often in the places we expected.

Since then I have gone to walk a number of other trails and when I compare these to the camino Frances, there are plenty of options on the Frances route. Unlike some other trails you rarely pass through towns where there is only one place to stay and the next option is a 10 km or 3 hour walk away. And on the camino Frances route there are plenty of non public albergue options ( private albergues, small pensions, etc) to choose from, so for yourself your options are even greater. Most of these other options are very affordable especially if you double or triple up with other people. There is nothing like making new friends when you share a room with some other person who just met hours ago.

Some suggestions to consider

When I walked the camino Frances again in 2011, I joined two other guys and we decided most days to call ahead to book and hold 3 beds for ourselves in either a private albergue or small pension. It obviously cost us slightly more than staying in a cheap public albergue but it gave us the piece of mind that we could spend all day getting to the place. In fact most days we book places a lot further ahead than most people wanted to walk so it allowed us to walk further each day without the worry of getting a bed. This means we did not simply choose to stay in public albergues or simply wing it, on other days. It was a kinda of mix and match - a bit of public albergues and a bit of other places. And we stayed in some very interesting and not so interesting places.

My wife is now walking the same route by herself and given that the camino France is even busier than in the past, she is doing the same. Most people that decide to stay in public albergues tend to leave early so they can arrive by noon at the next place. This seams to be the necessary evil of walking the camino Frances route when it is busy, but it does not to always apply for all people and all situations.

My wife does not to start so early in the mornings ( it is dark until 7:30 am), and she like to stop and smell the roses, so calling ahead some days to book a bed, is a happy compromise. She has even shared a room with other people including she jokes with a man she met the day before.

On other days she either gets up early and stops earlier in order to secure a bed a public albergue like Granon where she is staying tonight - I think. Tomorrow she will call ahead and book a bed and so on.

There is a rhythm to the camino and you will figure it out and figure out your own internal rhythm.

I think after a few days you will figure out what works for you. Do not worry.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you all!!!
It is funny now to think how anxious and nervous I was just before we left for Spain! Easy to forget that 97% of the people who walk alongside you are new to the Camino too. Things happen on Camino. Albuergues are full or you run out of money in a place with no ATM or you get lost in thought and miss the yellow arrow and walk a mile off the path. Once, after running through a hail/lightening storm I ran to what I thought was an albuergue and walked in to a sweet, elderly lady's house. She gave me a cup of coffee and a slice of cake and we laughed about my mistake while the storm raged outside. I met one of my best Camino pals when we both managed to miss an arrow. (One piece of advice - if you are uncertain which way to go - the right way is nearly always UP hill! ) Another time I realized I had handed ALL of our money to my son who had gone on ahead AFTER I had ordered a cafe con leche and bocadillo. A pilgrim I had not yet met bought my lunch - and I bought her dinner that night to thank her. After a long (35 km) day on the Meseta, sun burned and blistered and tired beyond belief I found all the albuergues full. The local taxi driver interrupted his Sunday dinner to drive us to a lovely hotel 3 miles along. The next day he arrived at the hotel and gave us a little tour of the area before driving us back to our starting point - and refused payment.
I got lost a lot. I get very focused on walking and my thoughts and before I knew it I'd realize I hadn't seen an arrow in a while. People stop you and ask if you're a peregrino and direct you back. Or other pilgrims look for you. It isn't as if you're in a deep dark forest - you've just walked off the path a bit. No harm done.
It is an adventure. You're going to have the time of your life - don't worry!!

I love the story about walking into an old lday's house! What a wonderful adventure and story!

I'm already feeling a bit silly for overreacting so much, but as a beginner there are just so many new feelings and concerns every day.

One more question: I have emailed and albergue (Albergue Albaroque, anyone stayed there?) in Samos to make a reservation for the night I arrive but I haven't hear back. It has been two days. I'm a bit hesitant to call since I don't speak Spanish. Is this just the American in me assuming people respond quickly or should I stay on top of it and try to phone them? I definitely want to make sure I have a bed for my first night.

Thank you all again! My nerves are calmed and I am in awe of everyone's support and reassurance :)

If it is full, there is a reasonably priced hotel just across from it, the Victoria, though I doubt you will have a problem in Samos in September/October. It is now pretty much considered off the camino, as most pilgrims go directly to Sarria from Triacastela.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Don´t worry, Heitgl, just sit back and enjoy the walk. If you still get nervous just stop at any roadside place and order a "tila" tea. It suppose to help you relax.
No need to rush either. Take it easy & enjoy the walk.Before you know it ,you´ll be in Santiago de Compostela hugging the saint.:)

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back