• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nervous!

nonieconnor

I'm leaving the US in a week. . .hard to believe! I've been reading the forum all year, and picked up lots of great tips--what to pack, what to wear, socks and liners, and best of all Bag Balm, to grease up the feet and prevent blisters. Thanks everybody!

I've been wondering all along why people seem anxious before they depart and now I know! Will I make it? Can I do it? Am I taking too much/too little? What about weather? rain? mud? Will I make friends? Above all, why am I doing this??? Not at all sure, but there must be something there that motivated me to train for seven months, read everything I can get my hands on, fill my thoughts for hours a day.

Thanks to all who offer so much advice and encouragement. The best advice I've heard is to "let it go." I'm not a let-it-go kind of person--if the Camino teaches me how to do that better it will be well worth it!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi nonieconnor,

Your post struck a chord. Brought me back to the time leading up to my first camino. There's nothng like it and you're now in that anxiety/anticipation/doubting/craziness stage that will fall away when you take your first step. If you're like me, you'll be pinching yourself every so often to make sure it's really finally happening and isn't just another dream. The camino is a great opportunity to be truly thankful for life, and I hope it brings that thanksgiving to you.

With so many newbies setting out in the near future, it's hard to wish each and every one an individual buen camino, but know that there are lots of us "serial pilgrims" watching and wishing all of you a buen camino. Looking forward to your reports back as you go from "newbie" to "experienced" -- hearing from people on the road is one of the best parts of this forum.

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. And don't think that the pre-camino jitters go away after your first camino. I've been walking every year since 2000 and I still have a lot of the feelings and doubts you describe. It's just another one of the realities that equalizes all of us on the camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As you suspect,
Nervousness is natural.

Launch into the great unknown.
Sometimes hard, sometimes soft,
In the end, very kind to me.

I hope you find it so.

David, Victoria, Canada.

"I've been wondering all along why people seem anxious before they depart and now I know! Will I make it? Can I do it? Am I taking too much/too little? What about weather? rain? mud? Will I make friends? Above all, why am I doing this??? "

Perfect!!! That exactly sums it up - proves that you are in the groove, on track, etc

Buen Camino!!!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back