• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nervous

beccawrite

Hi Fellow Pilgrims:

As our Camino draws nearer (April, 2013), I am growing a little nervous! I have a fear about being stranded on the way! Are taxis, etc. available from anywhere? In other words, can I find a ride if I begin to feel overwhelmed and/or start to panic? I know...it's silly! :oops: ...actually embarrassing. My prayer is to face my fear, be brave and spread a little love on the Camino! Just looking for a little reassurance, I guess!! Thank you!! Buen Camino!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
beccawrite said:
Hi Fellow Pilgrims:

As our Camino draws nearer (April, 2013), I am growing a little nervous! I have a fear about being stranded on the way! Are taxis, etc. available from anywhere? In other words, can I find a ride if I begin to feel overwhelmed and/or start to panic? I know...it's silly! :oops: ...actually embarrassing. My prayer is to face my fear, be brave and spread a little love on the Camino! Just looking for a little reassurance, I guess!! Thank you!! Buen Camino!!
Hi Becky,
I'd be lying if I told you there will always be alternative transport every inch of the way, but from my experience I would be very surprised, assuming your not walking in the middle of the night, if you didn't find assistance all along the way. My wife and I have walked twice, around this time of year, there will lot's of supportive people, many experienced and lot's new and nervous, just like you. I know a number of people who for various reasons needed to get a buses and taxis along the way and they had no problem.
I hope you and your husband have a wonderful Camino, just as we had and hope to do again this year.
Buen Camino
Col

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/

There is a place with a shelter every 5.7 kilometers. Hostels are located in 145 towns and places of the French Way.

Take a list of taxi numbers with you just in case you need to stop walking. I have attached a list in Navarra and La Rijoa - the first two Regions that you will walk through. You can also write down a taxi number in each place you stay and when you get to a road or village, the taxi will be ale to reach you if you need one.

Attachments

• ReddeTaxis in Navarra 8.pdf
    60.9 KB · Views: 66
  • La Rioja Taxis.docx
    11.7 KB · Views: 53
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, members much more knowledgeable than me have given you the answers! As long as you're not on part of the camino that is a stony pathway on top of a mountain, there are all sorts of short cuts that can be made with taxis, buses and trains.
In fact last year I had to give up on the VdlP due to blisters and constant rain, and tried hitching lifts - thumb up in the air. Hadn't done that for fifty years! But it still worked and kind folk stopped and gave me a lift.
So don't let that be a worry for you - just enjoy the camino!

Ultrea!

Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

This is a completely valid fear if you don't know the terrain ahead of you. Remember that you are not alone on the Camino - if you can't see someone ahead of you to shout to for help or reassurance, you can be fairly certain that someone will be coming along behind you on the trail before too long. I think that all pilgrims are scared or nervous at some time, so that person will certainly understand if you ask for some moral support.

And yes, there are taxis and buses to come to the rescue. Also, the Camino is close to the road so often that you can flag down a car if the situation is truly dire (which I hope it never will be!). I have also hitchhiked a few times (PLEASE don't tell my Dad) when my knees have reached their limits, and it didn't take long at all to find a friendly local to give me a lift.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Becca!

Have a look at the 'First Camino Panic Attack' thread where you will see that many people share your concerns. el-camino-frances/topic14297.html

As the others have said, taxis can always pick you up as long as you're not on a single file woodland path etc. You just have to make it to the next village and the bar tender will call one for you. If there isn't a bar a Spanish pilgrim will help if your language skills aren't great. Just get a local taxi number at each place you stay until your confidence grows, which it quickly will!

Buen Camino!

Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone!! :) You are awesome! I promise to pass on your compassion when I am on the way!! If you have an extra moment, say a little prayer for us! I will be doing the same for you cause this forum has been a blessing!! :) Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good to read all the responses to "Nervous". Have joined the forum this morning whilst researching transport from Biarritz for first visit to the Camino. Walking with 3 friends in May this year and hope my knees manage. We are walking for a week starting from St Jean PDP. Any suggestions for that first day? Does everyone carry a backpack? Any suggestions for the vital things to take or not for middle of May? :)

Thank you for visiting us in Pamplona. I hope you the best both of you and your husband for the whole Camino, don't be nervous, just pay attention for you feets, nothing else matters:)

Hi István. I'm sure Becca feels much better after meeting a friendly forum face at the start of her Camino. She will have a great time! Buen Camino! :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good question Lindafield.
Does everyone carry their backpack, or is there support for that ?

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back