• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Netbook or mini laptop?

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
I am thinking of carrying a mini laptop or notebook along. Acer and Asus have notebooks of less than a kilo. Still an extra kilo though. I am planning to walk all the way from Amsterdam to Santiago, but not at once. Want to use a mini laptop for acces to information about weather, logding, routes etc, for my blog and uploading photos and for keeping in touch with people at home. No idea how easy wifi or online possibilities are to find in the countryside in Belgium and France.

Any advice? Stupid idea or not?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And I say - give it another thought. I have a netbook, and as useful as it is, I wouldn't dream of taking it on the camino.I think, all over western europe, there are ample opportunities to log on. But that's just my opinion. It may be worth the extra weight to you.
Buen camino!

lynne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Let me encourage you to leave that extra weight at home. I recently walked the route from Le Puy to Cahors, with my iPhone for email connectivity. I was able to access free wifi once or twice a week at the lodgings. I passed Internet cafes or similar about weekly. There was one fellow pilgrim I met who had his laptop along with him; he used it for music.

Weight, especially for the distance you are envisioning, is your worst enemy. It affects your feet, your back, everything about your journey. One pilgrim I encountered said he'd already "shipped 3 kg of his anxieties back home" by offloading things he didn''t really need.

As has been said, increased weight is the enemy. For me the decision to take an extra 1kg is HUGE simply because I'd be adding it to everything else. Like the others my own preference is to use a phone (with radio and MP3's up loaded) which I can also use to blog using the many wifi connections along the way - but my experience is that there are also plenty of internet access points. Good luck with your decision.

Anyone consider an iPad instead of netbook/notebook? It's full screen and lighter than most netbook too.

True, the iPad is without a USB port, so transfering of photos along the way is an issue. But to do email, surf, read, it is a strong contender. On top of that, I am pleasantly surprised by the battery life at just below 10 hours. Most netbook/notebook will be hardpressed to even top 3 hours. Charging is also another factor to consider in the camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I took my iPad & a real camera (DSLR) because I wanted to blog & see my own fotos as I went & have no regrets in spite of the extra weight (although I did end up sending some stuff by taxi to next destination, but would do that again as well so that I was freer to take pictures). I loved keeping a blog & my friends back home seemed to really like following my travels as well: http://dustyscamino.blogspot.com. So if that is important to you, I would say go ahead and suffer with the extra weight. It made the whole trip more meaningful and satisfying for me.
dusty from Texas :p

Thanks all for your advice! I guess some of you are right. One kilo extra could be a burden I am going to regret. It is just that I like to write and am a little afraid of the loneliness on the first part (before Vézelay of even Le Puy I don't expect to meet much fellow pilgrims).

I imagine myself in the evenings typing my stories on my bunkbed. My notebook being my companion along the way.

On the other hand, the pilgrim life is back to basics and should not be too much about all kinds of electronic devices. For acces to internet (and short e-mails) a smartphone should be fine (allthough I don't have one yet), but for typing stories, blogging and photos I need a computer. I am not so worried about reloading the battery since I expect enough possibilites in the abergues to do that. It is just the weight versus the use of it. And I am afraid I have to choose for the weight reduction...

Luka said:
I imagine myself in the evenings typing my stories on my bunkbed. My notebook being my companion along the way.

Luka - I share that picture you have in your head. It was mine too until I discovered that after a day's walking when I tried to write I fell asleep!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
JohnnieWalker said:
Luka - I share that picture you have in your head. It was mine too until I discovered that after a days walking when I tried to write I fell asleep!

Amen

You can still take photos, and still publish a blog. It just won't have that "live report form CNN" quality. I kept a journal (lightweight paper) in the evenings (and daytime breaks as well!) and then published the blog once I'd returned. A few weeks later, I managed to get my act together and add the photos. It's a nice way to work through those post-walk memories.

I keep a written journal which I type out once I get to an Internet facility. Just remember, if it is fairly long, to type it in word, open your Blog site and cut-and-paste it onto the blog. I learned this after losing a number of posts because the browser timed out before I'd finished typing and everything disappeared!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Set up your blog with email. That way blogging will be just like drafting an email. You post (email) to your blog when you find Internet connectivity. Even your attached photo in the email will show up in the blog entry.

I did that 2 years ago in the Camino with a phone similar to a blackberry (Nokia) that has wifi capability. Lightest thing you will ever carry. Comes with camera, alarm clock, ebook reader, music player in a tiny package.

That said, I still carry a paper notebook for my journal.

JohnnieWalker said:
Luka said:

Luka - I share that picture you have in your head. It was mine too until I discovered that after a day's walking when I tried to write I fell asleep!
Thanks! I need this kind of realism from experienced pilgrims.

I had a netbook (3 lbs) when I first started on my trip and promptly shipped it (and a few other items) to Santiago when I arrived in Pamplona. I reverted to a Moleskine notebook to write down my thoughts. Then, when I was able to get to an albergue with internet, I would type out my journal entries into my blog. I found a computer about once every other day or so with internet. Wifi was a little more tricky. There's a post somewhere on here with a good website that details places to find wifi along the camino frances. Quite frankly, I barely had time to write in my journal, much less keep up with my blog. I updated it about twice a week, sometimes more, sometimes less.

I am very glad I left my DSLR home, taking a Canon G-10 instead. If I were to do it again, I would consider either an iPad or a MacBook Air 11", but I am still not convinced it's necessary to have the technology with me. It's nice, but I really don't want to carry the weight. Next time, I am definitely taking my GPS and taking the time to do some geocaching along the way.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Reluctanty I will put my thoughts here. I am not particularly technologically literate but for a very long distance pilgrimage that I am planning in about 4 years time I am giving serious thought to taking a Sony Vaio Z series laptop. They are small, extremely strong, and very lightweight - the one that I am looking at weighs about 600 grams. If I continue down this path it is my intention to load voice recognition software on to it, take a small compatible MP3 player with me (to carry in my shirt pocket), using that to chat to as I walk or stop for a rest, and then when I get to somewhere with internet I will send my "diary" home.

I don't carry a mobile phone, and so this is my only means of communicating with my family and friends (and I do write lots!). Assuming that I have the strength and am free from family commitments (with and ageing father) it is my intention to walk for a year (you can do the maths as last time I walked 2,000kms in 86 days). I am unwilling to trust my journals to the post and so I figure that for a year this plan would be actually a lighter way to go than 6 - 8 journals! I found that I often wished for something that I could have spoken my thoughts to while walking last year and I am thinking that this may be the answer. My research has led me to believe that the voice activation software is pretty good these days if it is trained to recognize ones voice, although I would either have to train myself to avoid "foreign" place names, or come up with an alternative and consequently it would mean editing each time it was loaded onto the computer.

So Luka - you are not alone in your thoughts on this one. Cheers, Janet

Janet, have you thought about just getting a lightweight digital recorder (you can then download files to your netbook in the evening) or is it important that you also have an MP3 player? Another option to look into is the Zoom H1, H2 or H4....the H1 is the least expensive and rather small with great audio quality so if you wanted to records sounds and whatnot, you could use it for that. Just an idea. I had my H2 Zoom with me, but ended up shipping it home too. I just couldn't justify the weight and was usually so tired at the end of the day, I didn't have time to talk into it or even record sounds I heard. :)

Hi, Like I said previously - I am technologically illiterate! What is a "Zoom"? The reason that I am thinking what I am is that I am planning to be on the road for 12 months (assuming I can sort out a visa) and so although the weight is important, I have to weigh up all the other factors too.

My reason for an MP3 was that I could use it with voice recognition software. I like the written word, and it was my intention to use the spoken word as a means of making the written word a little easier in terms of time and detail etc. Cheers, Janet

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Janet,

Weight is a very important factor in a camino, carrying too much unnecessary weight and not completing the journey due to injury, etc. That is why many pilgrims have to resort to shipping some of their unnecessary items (including netbooks) to Santiago ahead of them.

How one will evaluate whether an item is necessary is through it's utilisation. If you don't need to use it everyday, or if the use is minimal and be can be avoided, then it is dead weight.

A netbook is a good companion for journey that last a year but may be be good when you are actually walking 20-30 km a day on the camino. A paper journal may be a better tool for this. You can use anywhere, doesn't need to be charged and also write all foreign characters. You can''t use a netbook in the bunk as you will be disturbing the others with glare of the screen. And not every albergue will have a big enough area outside the bedrooms for a netbook (which really needs a table) as oppose to a phone/pad. The only time for writing a journal is mostly in the late afternoon, while waiting for your laundry to dry. And internet connection if you are lucky to have a municipal library nearby with free wifi, or an internet cafe.

If you are not technically iterate, all the more you should get a controlled device like a kindle, ipod touch, ipad. And don't rely on voice recognition in a netbook. They are still way slower than writing for anything but short, simple sentences.

Small, light, something that boots up in seconds (not minutes) is what is needed. Netbooks are for those who really needs a laptop/desktop features along the camino, which for most cases are unnecessary.

A weight of a phone device with the screen screen of an iPad would be perfect. But since technology can't yet deliver us a device like this, hence the debate on phone/pad/netbooks still rages on.

jl said:
Hi, Like I said previously - I am technologically illiterate! What is a "Zoom"? The reason that I am thinking what I am is that I am planning to be on the road for 12 months (assuming I can sort out a visa) and so although the weight is important, I have to weigh up all the other factors too.

My reason for an MP3 was that I could use it with voice recognition software. I like the written word, and it was my intention to use the spoken word as a means of making the written word a little easier in terms of time and detail etc. Cheers, Janet

Here is a link to the H1 Zoom, you can find the others on the right of the page, with links:
http://www.samsontech.com/products/prod ... rodID=2053

It is VERY simple to use....one button to record. Really, all you need is your audio files in mp3 format, it doesn't matter what you use to record as long as it is in that format for your audio recognition software. Just remember that whatever you record has to be processed in "real" time, so if you talked into your recorder for an hour, it will take your computer software an hour (or more) to process from audio to written form. Time, for me, was very precious while I was on the Camino. Often I didn't have time to write, much less check my email or even bother to find internet to see if there was a computer I could use.

I am also a little unclear about "where" you plan to walk. Are you going to be on the Camino the entire time, or walking elsewhere? This will make a big difference in your pack weight and whatnot. I packed for a RTW trip for my Camino because I was heading to other places after my walk. Unfortunately, my pack was way too heavy and I had to send stuff ahead to Santiago, including my Netbook. I used a Moleskine and had plenty of room for my thoughts over five and a half weeks on the Camino.

If there is anything else I can help you with as far as technology stuff goes, feel free to PM me!!!

Hola Janet

I think I understand the issue but correct me if I am wrong. You are a hugely experienced long distance walker and know all about weight! I agree that the Zoom or a device like it might very well meet your requirements. I use an Olympus Digital recorder for Guidebook writing and note taking - you may remember you have seen me use it. The model I use is featherlight and records up to 140+ hours - I've never need to use the full 256mb capacity. The good thing is that is it also has a PC connection so the files can be downloaded onto a pc in an internet cafe and you can then e mail them. I hope this helps you collect more stories! http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/2581_vn-4100pc.htm

Best wishes

John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks John, and others, for your comments. Yes, I am well aware of weight and time - and tiredness at the end of a 35 - 40km day - although not every day is that long. The latter is one of the reasons I am thinking about the alternatives for getting information down. I will take myself off to the library and explore at leisure the links that you have provided, and also look at what is available here too.

My thoughts, renegadep, at this early stage, are to walk from Maborg in Sweden along to and up the St Olav's Way to Trondheim and then come down a parralell path, but different, to Gothenburg then across to Denmark (I am still researching and so am not sure if it is a pilgrim path there), along the Camino to Lubek turning left along the coast of Germany / Poland to Eblag and then drop down onto the Polish Camino (at Olstyn) to Prague, follow the Elbe up to join the German Camino going through Leipzig to Aachen and from there drop down into Paris (via Namur / Reims) and follow that path (the only "main" one in France I haven't down) to SJPDP before making a winter pilgrimage across the Camino Frances. Now, it is very early days yet, and there is much research to be done to have good enough plans afoot so that I can try and talk the authorities into letting me have a visa for more than 90 days! - hence my early start, and as so many of you know, it is the planning that makes it exciting too.

Thanks again for all your tips - will now follow up and research them. Janet

I´m currently on the Via de la Plata (Caceres) and really regret not bringing my sub kilo netbook with me. The computers in cybercafes and libraries are ok for basic stuff but I cant do anything with my photos for my blog or anything with my emails which are on my home computer ( I'm trying to sort out a comp prob at home which would be easy using my netbook) as everything defaults to Spanish, even parts of my own UK blogger page, and my Spanish is not good enough to work out what to do.

It`s very frustrating and i've learned an important lesson.

Regarding weight, well I've had no problems so far and this morning I posted 1.5 kilos of stuff home so the extra kilo of weight of the netbook would not be a problem for me. In future I will regard the netbook as an essential item (for me) and remove other items from my pack if I need to keep the weight down. There are wifi spots in most towns.

I hope this helps.

Andrew, Salisbury, UK

Weight isn't the only issue, there's also the worry factor. The more valuable things you have with you the greater this gets. if you are on your own you can't take your laptop to the shower, or pop it in your sleeping bag as you sleep. Its just a millstone around your neck.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
notion900 said:
Weight isn't the only issue, there's also the worry factor. The more valuable things you have with you the greater this gets. if you are on your own you can't take your laptop to the shower, or pop it in your sleeping bag as you sleep. Its just a millstone around your neck.

Or, you can just not worry about it....if it gets stolen, make sure you've been backing it up to a Dropbox account online, that way your stuff is backed up somewhere else. My whole attitude when I was on the Camino and the rest of my RTW trip was that if something got stolen, then it got stolen. I didn't invite trouble and kept my stuff locked up, stayed in places I felt safe, etc. If it was going to get stolen, then it was gonna get stolen. Nothing I could do about it. I let the worry go. I have renter's insurance that covers theft, so I could replace it. I made sure I was backing stuff up on an external HD that was separate from the rest of my stuff. Next time, I will be using a Dropbox account to save the space of having to carry another external HD.

You could also look into the new MacBook Air. It's small for a laptop and lightweight. Has a lot of power too....I've also been looking at the Archos tablets, as well as waiting for the new Blackberry Tablet coming out after the first of the year. Yes, I have been thinking about this a bit....not for the Camino but for other traveling I do. :)

Or, you can just not worry about it....if it gets stolen, make sure you've been backing it up to a Dropbox account online, that way your stuff is backed up somewhere else. My whole attitude when I was on the Camino and the rest of my RTW trip was that if something got stolen, then it got stolen. I didn't invite trouble and kept my stuff locked up, stayed in places I felt safe, etc.

That about sums up what I've been thinking. I would only plan to use things when they were convenient and not really in public. A "laptop" - or whatever I took, could be buried in the pack and the idea is it would be for my convienience. I too am careful, but not paranoid, and to me this is seeming more like a good idea the more I think about it. It is early days yet and who knows what will be invented by the time I am ready to set off on this particular trip, given the way that technology advances these days! Janet

If the pilgrimage gets a reputation as a place where people wander about with £1000 Macbook Airs blithely left around because their owners are fine with just claiming it on the home contents insurance, won't that attract criminals from far and wide and ruin the experience for everyone? In medieval times the pilgrimage was plagued with bandits and highwaymen, and now it's not. Can't we keep it that way? I'll nail my colours to the mast and say it's absolutely stupid to bring a computer.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Come on everybody, let's not all get crabbit. (very useful Scottish word) What may be stupid for one person may be essential for another. Everyone has different circumstances and needs. Some people can only take three months to walk a very long pilgrimage if they continue to earn whilst they do it and they may need IT resources to do that. Others may have a particular project they want to carry out. Let's try and give the information requested if we have it without too many value judgements :)

I agree JohnnieWalker! It seems to me that this is a very specific situation that might warrant taking a netbook or small laptop of some sort. Personally, I would not take one because it would weigh too much. Been there, done that, shipped it ahead to Santiago and then used it for the rest of my RTW trip. However, based on what the original question was, I think that there are some options available and time to figure it all out. No judgement from me. Everyone needs to make their own decisions and live with those choices. I did when I walked. Actually, several of us had the following motto about our little quirks and crazy choices. OWN IT!!! Accept it and OWN IT!!! :) Worked for me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have the perfect notebook, its leather bound, concertina folded (great for maps) and I enter data via a pencil... my other notebook remains in its case at home and I pull it out to type up guff on my return (great way to re live the walk).

For all Johnny’s live and let live, don’t let the desire to share your experience and keep connected with all an sundry overrule the pleasure of dropping out and taking life a foot pace…

I do believe there's room in the world for everyone to get what they want.

If you don't want to take a computer (I wouldn't THINK of it!) then don't!

But if you do... then do!

But me... well, my secret prayer is that all the electricity goes out of every single alburgue, that cell phones automatically turn off when you enter, that rattling plastic bags all explode and are useless, and that all the roncadoros are miraculously cured... is that too much to pray for? :lol:

We'll light a candle to that prayer too Anniesantiago!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In the camino, Whats more important than walk? , leave those other 'worries" at home, If you ask me, dont even carry a cellphone. Each item ads to the weight in your backpack, I mean every single thing.....

On my way from Le Puy to Finisterre I have had a pocketPC and a stowaway foldable keyboard with me // altogether weighing around 300g. I used the PPC for blogging, writing and checking emails and very rare phone calls. I was writing every night in the first week but that changed quite fast since you meet more and more people... there is just no time to keep things posted.

I was glad to have had no Notebook with me. I even had a ssh-client installed on the ppc to admin my server on the go... really didnt need it.

Next time I'd leave home with only an ultralight emergency mobile phone ... which will be off most of the time.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What about pencil and paper, a point-and-shoot camera, a paper guide?
Less distracting, less weight, less depending on loaded batteries...
For a blog, information, ... , internet-access is always nearby.
And you can't change the route, nor the weather.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

I am all for a smartphone that can do all the stuff but leave the note taking to the traditional notepad and pen.

There's nothing a smartphone can't do these days, except for the size (which is perfect for the camino). At the very least, use it as an emergency communication device.

The new Kindle is smaller and lighter than a book (227 grams, or 8 ounces to some), and the cheap version ($139) will still let you read email with Wi-Fi. It is fine for emergency email, though writing and surfing the web is awful on it. The batteries last forever.

I read nine books on a trip i just returned from, used several guides and dictionaries, and knew when I needed to find an internet cafe to reply. My wife ran out of stuff to read in the middle of nowhere and I had to guard it with my life.

Looks like a worthwhile device for lightweight travel.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Newfydog, 9 books from your past trip! During the Camino?

I could barely finish 4 chapters of an ebook on my phone during my last camino. With all the walking, meditating, showering, eating, writing my daily journal, interacting with other pilgrims, siesta, dinner, drinking, I was so tired at the end of the day I could barely finish reading one paragraph at night before the zzzzz monster strikes.

I've got the same issue.. taking my mini-pc with me or not? The thing is that photo is soo important for me, and the memorystick won't be enough for the whole trip, then I could put it in my pc and save the pics and also watch the pics :) witch I love after a day of hiking. I rather not put the memorystick in to another computer because I've heard of virus and that stuff. But.. I also want to carry my canon 1000D with me.. so I guess I have to choose... :)
But I'm in the opinion, I prefer leaving something else at home so i could carry my pc or camera.. and off course I want my little digital camera as well..
It depends on what we find important. For me photo is truly important, and after a day skiing or hiking I just loove watching my pics. Maybe I will come to other thoughts when it gets closer, I'm going to Spain in june and haven't tried to pack my bag yet.. so we'll see ;)

Best Regards, Pibicamino

Weight should help make your decision easier netbooks weigh about 1.3 kg , six cell battery life is stated to be up to 10 hrs, the current generation has about 250gb of storage, and mini external HDD are cost effective when compared to memory sticks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I started out with my netbook.....carried it all the way to Pamplona and promptly shipped it ahead to Santiago (keep in mind, I would not have brought it at all, but I was continuing my travels on a RTW adventure, so it was needed later). Bring extra memory cards, and leave the netbook at home. I used two 8GB memory cards and shot over 2000 photos on the Camino. It was more than enough. In some of the larger cities you can go to a photo store and have the files transferred to DVD and sent home, making sure you have a back up if that is your concern. You could also carry a card reader and an external HD and transfer files when you come across a computer that can do so on the Camino, but again, there is a risk for viruses.

I prefer to use 1 or 2 gig SD cards and last time I took 8 cards with me plus a 4 gig to take any movies that I wanted. I keep those SD cards intact and on a high fire risk day I take them out with me so that if my house burns down I still have my photos! I do also back up my computer too) The reason I use small sized cards is that if I accidently do something like wipe the photos I only loose a realtively small number of photos. Cheers, Janet

For cameras, SD cards are now dirt cheap. The sweet spot (price/Gb) is now shifting from 8 to 16 Gb. Just buy a bunch of them and have a SD pocket sleeve (as they are really small) to keep them (like business cards) so you wouldn't loose them.

I really think a device bigger than a mobile is a distraction for the Camino, not to mention the additional weight. If one wants to blog or access the internet, a mobile with wifi or 3g (local sim card with data) will do just nice, which is what I did. Even now, I question my time after the daily walk looking for public library with wifi. I could have spend the time better on self-reflection or even a short siesta.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
1.3 kg

Nothing in my pack weighs that much, including my pack! It sure would be hard to leave a computer in the "take" pile of items I "want." Computers are easy to find in Spain, and hackers abound in the WiFi hot spots (I was willing to risk an iTouch). After carrying three pounds of computer for 750 km, my reward could be malicious software.

Be sure you think this one through!

Falcon,

Now that you mentioned it, I realised that one can lose much more than that. I had occasions during the camino where the anti-virus program on the cyber cafe's computer had a warning that it could not update. Scary.

Luckily I was prepared. I connected a usb reader with a SD card where I had previously loaded with portable firefox and Neo's Safekey. In addition, I locked the SD card from writing to it. Using the portable firefox, I enter the password by clicking on the Neo's Safekey keyboard, and paste it on the password box to prevent keyloggers program that may be running in the background recording my password.

This may be much effort for most people. So in short, just careful about the machines at the cybercafe. Do not expose more than one email account, and change your password immediately after coming back from the camino.

Yeah I forgot to mention that I used a wifi hotpsot with the netbook in SJPdP and about three days later, I got a notice that my PayPal account had been hacked. I had not accessed my PayPal account in several months but I had used my email. I would suggest using a different email address for when you travel that is separate from the ones you use to access online accounts back home. As a precaution. In the rest of my world travels after the Camino, I did not have any further problems because I was using wifi at hostels with secure connections.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm not taking my netbook, but do you think it's wise to create a different email account if I'm going to be using public computers?

Thanks to you who are expert in these matters..

lynne

Hi Lynne,

A alternate email account is best when one is not sure about internet security on the road. One thing you can do after creating a new webmail account is to see if you can forward all your emails from your main email account to the newly created webmail account. That way, people can still sent you mails to your other email address and you can pick up a copy on the new one. Just make sure the password for both accounts are different. Also, don't use the same user name (aaaa@ and bbbbb@ for the alternate email).

A few other tips.

1. Some albergue has coin operated internet access. Not cheap (a euro for 15 mins). But they are usually the most secured since they are locked computers (you can't plugged anything into it).
2. Public libraries are next. Their machines are usually clean.
3. Lastly, cybercafe. First thing to do is to check for the anti-virus program (usually Norton or Mcafee) running in the tray. Make sure they are update by clicking on the update button. Change machines if you have a problem updating them.

There are no guarantees. At least we can mitigate some of the risks with a few simple precautions.

Hi evanlow-

Thank you so much - this is just the information I need!

lynne

Lynne,

You are welcome. Have a safe camino (connection wise)!

Leave it home.
You will be AMAZED at how wonderful it is to be completely unplugged.
It may even change your life.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did the Camino last Summer 2010

I'm a huge photography fan and my girlfriend is a pro photographer.

We didn't miss having a laptop - i think that easy acess to internet really takes off that isolation so necessary for this kind of journey.

Nevertheless I took with me an iphone and it was more than helpful with all the posting/blogging/information needs. Most of the times it was turned off - beware of roamming charges.

I think that in all the french camino (St. Jean - Santiago) you wont walk more than 3 hours without having acess with somesort of internet cafe - they're quite common.

What we missed was a portable hardrive with card's reader just to download pics from the cards.

Best Regards!

http://www.tiagorosado.com/santiago_primeiros_dias.html
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 1587301466

tiagorosado said:
I did the Camino last Summer 2010
What we missed was a portable hardrive with card's reader just to download pics from the cards.
With nowadays high prices of image-tanks (or aren't they for sale anymore?) and low prices of memory-cards:
Buy some extra memory-cards, or have your images burnt on a CD at a photo-shop.
It's a light-weight solution as well... :idea:

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

...i brought with me 24gb on cards. I don't shoot in jpeg, only Raw, so each file was +/- 20mb.. And with some 720p vídeos added on top of this, the cards really filled up quickly! :D
Some guys shoot a lot, some don't.

Take care!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have become more than half a year 'wiser' since I posted my question here. No netbook or mini laptop! Man, have I been crazy? A full kilo extra in my pack?? :wink:

I can understand that some form of isolation is very helpful to experience a 'real' pilgrimage, but still... I am not walking the Camino Frances with hundreds of other pilgrims (will be, later on). I am not walking with someone else. I will be all by myself this summer in the French countryside (Dinant - Auxerre). Would almost be special if I meet any other pilgrim. No internet café every 3 hours. No nothing.

I bought a small (7 inch, 300 grams) tablet. First and foremost to use as an e-reader, but also to use the internet every now and then (when I find a wifi-spot) and to post something on my blog when possible.

Bikeguy said:
I used this travel notebook on my camino last year. Low tech but a sturdy case and I liked the "prompts" plus the blank space.

http://www.nomadjournals.com

Randy

Cool! I used a regular Moleskine notebook for my journal. Worked perfectly and didn't weigh too much. I cherish my Camino journal.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Personally, I don't think a netbook or mini laptop is a good idea to bring because of its weight, and i'm sure we all know that every gram is important. As well I find it nice to be detached from electronics when I walk the Camino (other than my camera lol). But if you must take something, you should try taking an iPhone or iPad or similar device. Those are small and have the same functionality as the laptop. They have wifi as well as a camera, which means you can leave your main camera at home. It works because you can just take a picture, and email it as soon as you get to your albergue.

I have done a lot of traveling over the years but I have never taken a laptop or anything similar on the camino. However on this past camino I did end up walking with a guy that was carrying a netbook and once in awhile took advantage of it, to either check email or skype with my wife

If I was to do another camino or some other pilgrim trail again I might consider taking sometime but I it depends on what I really want to do.

For communications (talking, skype, email) I think the most ideal option is the ipod touch with wifi - it is cheap and light weight and easy to use. You can also check the internet for weather, etc

As for blogging and saving photos to a device then I might consider taking a MacAir 11 since it a far better machine than any netbook on the market.

Otherwise I would load on digital cards and save the photos to the cards and blog once in awhile at an internet cafe. Keeping the photos on cards is a cheaper and lighter option that loading the same photos onto a netbook and generally safer.

You could also blog using the ipod touch but it is more challenging

Regards

The local camera shop told me to be careful when buying memory cards. If your camera uses SD cards it will not accept SDHC (and vice versa) as the technology is different. So if you need SD then several of 2Gb is the answer - they do not come larger. If your camera is SDHC then you have the option of larger cards.
Mine is SD, but changing cards and putting the used ones in a safe place does mean that if I lost the camera I wouldn't lose all my photos.

I took a mini notebook when I went to collect Terry from Santiago 2 years ago. It meant we could look at some of his photos and also Skype the family. I wouldn't want to carry it on Camino but use public internet, with the SD camera card locked if used in a public computer to avoid picking up any viruses.

€60,-
Wow! I read through all of the posts to see if I could get a consensus answer and it seems that there's no clear answer. I still have about 9 months to mull this over and technology keeps changing everyday anyway. I was thinking of taking a tablet along to journal my thoughts and to maintain a blog, but the weight and theft issues give me a lot to think about.

I do plan on bringing a smart phone and need to research that a bit further, i.e. what works in France and Spance. The last time I traveled to Europe, cell phone were a novalty, big and bulky, and did little more than place calls. So I have some catching up to do (where and what to get). An idea that I want to investigate is bringing along a portable bluetooth keyboard to make typing easier with a cell phone. I know they exist and that would pretty much eliminate the need for a seperate tablet/PC. One model that I saw on Amazon only wight 6 oz (170 grams).

The other technology issue I need to grapple with is how to securly deal with the many photos and videos I plan on taking, but that's a topic for a different fourm.

After much deliberation I got an iPhone which will take the place of my 1kilo laptop on my travels.I run a business so can't depend solely on library/alburgue/I cafe connections and there were plenty of Wifi connections on the vdlp last autumn. I need it mainly for emails and blogging and so far it's been excellent. I too will be looking at buying a lightweight keyboard to speed up typing and give more word processing control. I'm sending this from the middle of nowhere using the iPhone.

Andrew, uk

Just got back from 3,5 weeks on the camino in Northern France. My tablet has happened to be a very good choice! It weighted 300 grams and I used it as an e-reader, to blog, to check on the weather, to find places to sleep and to store photos.

What kind of tablet did you use? I'm debating bringing my laptop when I serve as a hospitalera. Considering a tablet for simple blogging, etc.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.