• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New ( 1st November 2018 ) Ryanair baggage rules

jony jony

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ( 2007) Via de la Plata 2016/2017 . Sept 2018...Via de la Plata...May2019 via de la plata
As stated above ,Ryanair have , from today, changed their rules on cabin baggage ........see here ....

From 1 November, passengers who have not bought priority boarding will only be able to bring on board a small carry-on bag, not a wheelie. Instead, the latter will have to be checked in at the airport for £8 (if purchased at booking) or £10. That means customers will have to suffer the hassle of queuing at the Ryanair check-in desks in the airport before going through security. But it does mean they will not have to worry so much about liquids being less than 100ml and it will speed up security screening.

Just be prepared to fork out another £10 for your rucksack and of course the subsequent wait at the luggage carousel on arrival at your destination .:mad:

If you do not go to the bag check- in desk and pay the £10 fee and just turn up at the gate then it will cost you between £20 and £25 .

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wonder how long it will be before Easy Jet follows suit.
Never flown Ryan Air but have used Easy Jet on a number of occasions and found them fine.

I flew London Stansted to Santander this morning with Ryanair. Many people seemed unaware of the new policy and turned up at the boarding gate with large carry-on bags. The boarding staff allowed them on but with a warning that in future there will be a £25 surcharge for doing so. Worth also pointing out that the new £8 option to check in a bag up to 10kg is restricted to bags which fit within the cabin baggage size limits. Not the same as their ordinary checked bag size.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I flew Easy Jet from CDG to BIQ in October, I was surprised how liberal they were about the carry-on bags. I expect that will change.

Confusingly, it is cheaper to buy Priority Boarding (and take your wheelie bag into the cabin) than to check in your wheelie - although only the first 95 passengers can buy Priority Boarding. It's all explained here. (I think.)

Never flown Ryan Air but have used Easy Jet on a number of occasions and found them fine.
I flew EasyJet last year from Santiago and they lost our suitcase, never saw it again.
This year I flew with them Santiago - Geneva and Geneva - Copenhagen. The plane from Santiago was delayed so I missed the plane to Copenhagen and EasyJet couldn’t care less, they don’t provide connecting flight???? So I had to buy a new ticket home from Geneva 😡 I don’t think they will find me on any passenger list again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I flew EasyJet last year from Santiago and they lost our suitcase, never saw it again.
This year I flew with them Santiago - Geneva and Geneva - Copenhagen. The plane from Santiago was delayed so I missed the plane to Copenhagen and EasyJet couldn’t care less, they don’t provide connecting flight???? So I had to buy a new ticket home from Geneva 😡 I don’t think they will find me on any passenger list again.

I guess I've just been lucky, I have in the past had lost luggage on some major airlines.
I have booked them to take me to Saville in Feb, if they loose my bag it won't be a good start to the camino, keep fingers crossed.

I'm curious. Did you originally buy two tickets, one for each portion of the trip or did you buy one ticket, Santiago - Geneva - Copenhagen?

Pretty sure that like many of the low-cost European airlines easyJet do not sell through tickets with connecting flights. Each flight must be booked separately and is considered a complete journey. And therefore they have no liability beyond the standard compensation for delayed flights.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Bradypus is right, a characteristic of low cost carriers such as Ryanair and Easyjet is their point-to-point business model, there are no round-trip tickets and no connecting flight tickets, each leg is a separate flight. Another characteristic is their myriad of charges.

So what's the advice if you fly with Ryanair and you want to be close to your backpack during the flight? A ticket with priority boarding and early booking to make sure that you are among the first 95 passengers with hand luggage?

Last edited:
So what's the advice if you fly with Ryanair and you want to be close to your backpack during the flight? A ticket with priority boarding and early booking to make sure that you are among the first 95 passengers with hand luggage?
In a nutshell, yes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Not sure about Easy Jet, but WIZAIR has already has changed their policy to this.

@Isabel -- The issue with walking poles is not the airline's restriction, but the airport's. Most airports will not allow the walking poles through security.

Not sure about Easy Jet, but WIZAIR has already has changed their policy to this.

@Isabel -- The issue with walking poles is not the airline's restriction, but the airport's. Most airports will not allow the walking poles through security.
However the new luggage checkin policy, the 10kg bags would bypass the airport security as it wd go in the hold, we wd take it to the dropin bag counter as we currently do with with the 20kg cases.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Can we put our walking poles in the Ryanair 10kg checkin bags? I havent been able to find this information.
Yes. I put my poles and a small knife in my 10kg check in bag on Thursday. As it is going in the hold and you have no access to it during the flight the cabin baggage security concerns do not apply.

I crossed Ryanair off my list of airlines with which to fly a long time ago. Their values—as expressed by their treatment of their staff, their passengers, and the duly-appointed governments of the countries in which they do business—are not consonant with mine.

I very much doubt that EasyJet will follow them in this race to the bottom. That airline, while far from perfect, has been making something of a point of communicating to passengers that it does not treat them with the contempt that Ryanair does. This initiative enables them to substantiate that argument with still greater force.

As stated above ,Ryanair have , from today, changed their rules on cabin baggage ........see here ....

Hi, are there any new updates to this? I may have to fly from Stanstead to Santiago early next year :(. A new experience for me :eek::eek:, so I would like to know what to expect. I will have a small (32 litre) carry on backpack. Should I book now with priority boarding?
Jill

I will have a small (32 litre) carry on backpack. Should I book now with priority boarding?

Yes - a 32 litre backpack will be larger than the "small bag" which all passengers are allowed to take on board. If current policy is actually enforced then non-priority passengers cannot take a 32L bag on board. Your options are to pay for priority boarding and therefore a larger cabin bag OR pay to check-in the rucksack. On my last flight with Ryanair I chose the latter so I could take poles and a penknife.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.