• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New 2012 SA Pilgrims

AllisonDe

hi all, wondering if there are any other SA newbies going in 2012 -Im leaving shortly -22 march and will be walking camino frances starting stjean pdp. Not much planning being done yet but i suppose Ill get there closer to the time :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi All

I will be going on April 25th. Starting from SJPDP. Anyone else going around that time? 8)

Depending on where you live there are a few Camino practical workshops coming up in the next couple of months.

Cape Town:
The 2012 Camino Workshop will be held on Saturday 3rd March 2012 starting at 09:00 at the St Oswalds church in Milnerton. The workshop is run for all persons planning to walk the Camino de Santiago Compostela in Spain. Practical advice will be given, what to pack and what not to pack, how to prepare, about your feet and shoes and answer your questions. Pilgrims who have walked the Camino before, are welcome to attend and share knowledge and advice.
There will be an opportunity for new pilgrims to apply for membership with the CSJofSA and to collect their pilgrim’s passport.
It is essential to reserve your place so we can print a set of notes for you too!! Reservations can be made with Andrée 021 552 2525 or email her at andreelombard @ absamail.co.za or Elmara 021 554 1786 or email her at elmara@telkomsa.net
The hall of St Oswalds church is on the cnr of Park Avenue and Jansens road, Milnerton. Turn into Jansens from Koeberg rd, south of Centre Point. Near Jansens hall and tennis courts.

Kwazulu Natal:
The Camino practical Workshop is organized by Sylvia Nilsen and will be held on 25 February 2012 at the Maris Stella School in Durban at 08:30.
Jenny Rooks, new regional representative for the Kwazulu Natal region will be assisting. For more information or to book, you can contact Sylvia Nilsen on 083 474 8086 or email - sillydoll @ gmail.com and or Jenny Rooks on 0849520622 or email - jennyh@camclo.co.

Gauteng:
Venue: Pretoria National Botanical Garden, National Herbarium Lecture Hall
Date: Sunday, 11 March 2012
Programme:
10:00 – 13:00 Camino Information and feedback
13:00 – 14:00 Lunch – bring and share a Camino meal. Please bring a chair or picnic blanket
14:00 -- 15:30 Screening of ‘The Way’ (if anyone is interested)
Costs (Garden entry): R22 per person (free for BOTSOC members)
How to get there: A map to the garden is attached. From the entrance gate there will be Camino directional signage to follow to the Herbarium Lecture Hall
If anyone would like to give some formal feedback, please contact m.koekemoer @ sanbi.org.za , 082 7889 326.

Good luck with your walk!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all, I am a newbie planning to leave SJPP around the 8 May and allowing about 5 weeks to reach Santiago. Will miss the march & april pilgrims........buen camino :)
gina

giig said:
... Will miss the march & april pilgrims.....
Hi Gina & welcome to the forum.
Yes, but you will not miss the May & June pilgrims, and I think you'll find you will know several on your way to Roncesvalles on day one . Five weeks how wonderful, should be a lovely time of year to walk.
If you have time, have a good walk around SJPP, I think it is a beautiful place. Might see you on the way, Helen & I are starting a little earlier but from Lourdes.
Buen Camino.
Col

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi :) I will be doing the Camino from st jean pdp. Im flyng to Paris on 1st May and will take the trains down to Bayonne. Im thinking of starting the pilgrimmage around the 5th. Would be great to meet up with some fellow South Africans.

Hi Gina,
Welcome to the forum. I leave home on Monday May7th and will sleep in SJPP that night and leave on may 8th. I have booked to stay in Orrison that night.

Hope we meet each other. I have not seen anyone else put their name on the calender

Buen Camino
Lydia

Hi Lydia, this forum has been so helpful & informative. I must also make a reservation for Orrison for the 8th, & I look forward to meeting you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not sure if I still qualify as a South African since I emigrated to Canada from Cape Town in 1965 as a thirteen year old. It’s been at least a few decades since I’ve even met a fellow South African. On the other hand, I am a newbie and my family has been in the Cape Province since the beginning of time.

If the universe unfolds as it should, I’ll be in St Jean in early May.

Once a 'Sarf-efrikin' always a 'Sarf-efrikin' so you certainly do count! Hope you meet a few along the way.

I'm leaving Joburg on 19th April - can't wait! :) I'll be walking from Oporto hopefully arriving Santiago early May. Would be lovely to meet some fellow Seffricans out there!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
To the Canadian-South-African; Yes- once a South African always a South African! How do you spot a South African on the Camino? Walk past them and they will use the word "LEKKER" to describe anything nice or good. :D I met 7 South Africans on my 2007 pilgramage on the Frances. This year I start on April 12 from Seville on the Via de la Plata and I am positive they will be there. Not as many as on the Frances, I would think, but they will be there. Buen Camino!

karennz2012 said:
Hi JennyB
I am staying overnight in SJPP on 25 April and starting the next day. maybe we will cross paths.
are you staying in SJPP?
karen

Hi Karen
I am staying at L'Esprit du Chemin in SJPDP on 25th April and also starting the next day....see you there?

Lydia Gillen said:
Hi Gina,
I have booked to stay in Orrison that night.

Hi Lydia
Please let me know how you managed to book at the Orrison. I have tried emailing, but to no avail.
Much appreciated.
Jennyb

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I got an email reply from this address refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr and I paid through Paypal on an invoice that Orisson sent. It could be that as they are not yet open you aren't getting a reply.

Hi Jenny, I went onto their website & put in a request for the date I wanted, their reply was quite quick and I paid on PayPal.
Hope this helps, Gina

Nicprinsloo said:
I met 7 South Africans on my 2007 pilgramage on the Frances.
Last year (2011) September-October we walked frequently behind walkers, carrying a backpack with big yellow "camino" arrows. They invariably spoke perfect English and mostly Afrikaans. Echt lekker!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi JennyB
yes I will be at L'Esprit du Chemin too - I will have my forum badge on my pack as it just arrived the other day.
only a few weeks now....
hope your training and planning is going well.
karen

I am planning on leaving St Jean on the 3rd of September and finishing in Santiago.
What is the weather like at that time and how busy is the Camino ?
Anyone else going at that then ?

Regards Heidie Smith

Hi Heidie,

I'm also planning to do the Camino starting either mid August or beginning of Sept.
Will be my first Camino, starting from St Jean as well. Maybe see you en route!

cheers
erika

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi All, I am doing the camino starting on 22nd of September. Have 18 days and not sure if I should start in Carrion or in Sahagun? Also am female alone and starting to get nervous about it all, not sure if anyone has an opnion on this?
Regards Nervous south african girl

My fiancé and I will start our first Comino around the 14th September in Sarria, and we will proudly display our South African Confraternity badges, as well as flags. I got a storm flag that I intend to carry and display, and we will most definitely be talking Afrikaans, some Xhosa, and Kiswahili...
Can’t wait
Follow our Camino at http://capetocamino.blogspot.com
Buen Camino
George & Marelize

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Please let me know when the next workshop/talk is planned in Cape Town for newbie pilgrims? My mom and I are walking in 2013 and we are looking for as much information as we can get.

Pilgrims from South Africa should consider joining the Confraternity of St James of South Africa csjofsa.za.org to keep up to date on local activities.
Pam

Hope that all SA pilgrims display the SA ribbon now being supplied by the Confraternity.
Pam

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's been almost three months now since I arrived in Santiago after walking the Camino Frances from SJPD. I can't WAIT to walk again - this was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had! Thank you so much to everyone on this forum for the wonderful advice over the months - this truly is a valuable site. I wish we could walk in our own country as freely as I did in Spain!! Buen Camino to those of you heading out later this year - your're in for such a treat!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There are a number of activities planned for South African pilgrims, in Cape Town and Pretoria, in the next few weeks. Details have been sent to all members of the CSJ. http://www.csjofsa.za.org
Best wishes
Pam

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back