• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

New (2017) Branch of Mozárabe -- Through Trujillo - Detailed update in 2023

peregrina2000

Staff member
This article on Gronze describes a route to connect the Mozárabe to the Vdlp by walking through Trujillo. It is 90 km shorter. The split takes place in Castuera, and from there it is 300 km to Mérida on the "traditional" mozárabe, as opposed to 210 through the more direct route.

(The article also casts doubt on the assertion that this was a route followed by peregrinos mozárabes after the Reconquest)

https://www.gronze.com/articulos/camino-mozarabe-por-trujillo-una-propuesta-con-sentido-14350

This is the route that alansykes took last year. See his account here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/granada-to-guadalupe.44075/ It follows livestock paths for the most part, but has a stretch along the N-630 (not heavily used because of the autovía, but walking alongside the highway is not fun).

No albergues yet, but casas parroquiales seem to be available, along with pensiones.

So any mozárabe pilgrim looking to save 90 km should consider this route, it is apparently marked and ready to go!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I walked the Mozarabe in the fall of 2019, I had wanted to try walking this Variante via Trujillo, but didn't. I walked the more popular route to Merida and then north on the Via de la Plata until I ran out of time and headed home. This month I will start the Mozarabe again, this time from Malaga, and will take the route through Trujillo to Aldeanuevo del Camino and on to Salamanca. Maybe I'll even continue on the Camino Torres to Portugal, but I'll be happy just to get to Salamanca this trip. I've read Maggie's account from 2018 when she avoided sleeping on the floor by taking the bus for 50 km. I've studied the Camino Mozarabe por Trujillo facebook site maintained by Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz, as best I can. My question for the forum is: has anyone walked this bit, from Magacela to Rena to Abertura to Trujillo and on several stages later to Aldeanuevo del Camino, in the last year? I'd like to hear what stages folks did. I'd especially like to know if there is any sleeping on the floor. Should I take my lightweight, exceedingly inadequate air mattress? Or can I assume I can find a bunkbed or mattress each night? And I'd prefer not to do 40 km days.

I'm planning on starting out from Granada next Saturday (Feb 11) and am also interested in walking via Trujillo. I walked the VdlP in 2019 and, as beautiful as Merida and Cáceres may be, it would be good to try this variant. Would also be appreciative of news. Otherwise, guess I'll just decide when I get to the fork in the camino.

Camino Mozárabe Variante via Trujillo:

I just walked this variante in March. Here is some information on my stages which may help others interested in this alternative to walking the Mozarabe to Merida. I mostly followed the recommendations of Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz, who has the Facebook site Camino Mozarabe Por Trujillo, and is a strong proponent of this route.

I used the mapy.cz app which has this variant on the map, so I could always easily check the route. Marking was never excessive, and was a variety of different types, rarely yellow arrows, meaning some sort of GPS system was very helpful. The facebook site has a link to a map with GPS which looked easy to use, though I didn’t use it.

My stages were shorter than my usual because it was extremely hot with fierce sun this March for me, an Alaskan. I could not walk well after 1pm as the day got hotter and hotter.

The PDF guide available on the Facebook site was very helpful for route description, and contact information for accommodation. Reading Maggie’s account on this forum from 2018 was also helpful. I also used the Mundicamino information, though some was outdated.

Starting from Castuera, Jose Antonio recommends taking the shortcut direct to Magacela (27 km), not passing Companario (35 km). This would involve staying in Magacela at the highly recommended Casa Rural El Cercon, but it was full and calling the town hall in Magacela for alternatives drew a blank.
So my stages were as follows:

Day 1. Castuera to Campanario. 21 km. I stayed in the polideportivo at the far end of town, in a room with 3 bunk beds with comforters, a great shower in the one bathroom, and a refrigerator. No microwave. It is simple but perfectly adequate. Donativo. I got the key from the friendly and helpful policia across the street, after calling the day prior. There is no bar anywhere nearby that opens early for coffee, but there is a friendly bar just up the street and a menu del dia at the restaurant at the preceding intersection for food and drink in the afternoon/evening.

Day 2. Campanario to Villanueva de la Serena. 26 km. The first 13.9 km to Magacela are open country, grand vistas of rolling hills always with the hill and castle of Magacela visible ahead. Just outside of Magacela I visited the dolmen site, worth doing. The route on from Magacela to Villanueva de la Serena is 12.3 km on gravel country roads with almost no traffic over the rolling hills, green with wheat in March. There is no shade. What signage I saw was the white marks for the Camino Guadalupe. In Villanueva de la Serena I stayed at El Emigrante Hotel, 34 euros, a fine family run hotel in the center of the city. There is no albergue. The hotel bar does not open at 7am as advertised, but does have a 12 euros menu del dia in the afternoon, and there are bars nearby that are open by 7am.

Day 3. Villanueva de la Serena to Puebla de Alcollarin. 19 km. A very flat day, first on a via verde, then on the long viaduct over the Rio Guadiana, then along dusty gravel roads. I had a coffee in Rena in a bar in town, not the one at the entrance of the village which is closed. Rena and all the villages of these plains are planned resettlement villages from 40 or 50 years ago when the land was opened up for irrigated agriculture. After Rena one follows the irrigation channel A-XVII. No need for arrows or other indicators. In Puebla de Alcollarin I got the key for the Salon Parroquial from the ayuntamiento where I was warmly greeted by Erika. The parish center on the plaza, next to the church, had a large meeting/activity room and a small room, which I made my own. There were 3 mattresses, twin size, very thick, very good quality, so I had a super comfortable night sleeping on my mattress on the floor. There were clean sheets, and comforters. There was a microwave in the large room. There was no shower, though the woman at the ayuntamiento told me she could arrange a shower for me if I desired. I made do with hot water, heated in the microwave, and used a basin for a sponge bath. It is a donativo and one leaves one’s donation next to the microwave. The one local bar had some food and everyone was very warm, friendly and welcoming. I got a takeout coffee from the bar for the next morning, as the bar doesn’t open early. There was also one very small grocery store, a tobacco store well stocked with candy, and a pharmacy, all on the plaza.

Day 4. Puebla de Alcollarín to Abertura. 19 km. The first 13 km continued to be flat and dusty, again following the route of the irrigation channel A-XVII. There were large trucks and farm equipment harvesting what I think might have been wheat. The irrigated rice fields were being prepared for planting. The plum and almond trees were in bloom. The final km were at the side of the asphalt road up into the hills. After more than a day of “planned” villages laid out in rectangular blocks, it was refreshing to walk into Abertura, an old village with narrow curvy streets. The central plaza has the ayuntamiento, a bar not serving food, a grocery store open most mornings and briefly in the evening, the playground for young children, and directly behind the playground, the community multi-use building. The woman in the ayuntamiento walked me across the plaza to this building, and showed me my bed in the corner of the building’s one large room, a stage at one end, and exercise equipment along 2 walls. This was my ‘albergue’. It had the advantage of my being able to watch the evening exercise class, chat with all the folks coming in through the evening to run, spin, and lift weights. If I had needed more exercise, I could have had a real work-out. By 9:30 pm they had left and I could sleep. The building had one bathroom, no shower, but the woman at the town hall drove me to the municipal pool at the edge of the town for a fabulous strong hot shower shortly after I arrived. So this was a simple place, no kitchen, but very welcoming. The church was open, beautiful, with a small statue of Santiago, and the women visiting there were happy to quiz me on my motivations on walking a pilgrimage. This is another one of these towns with 200 some inhabitants and a dozen or so children in the school, where all are pleased to be able to offer accommodation to a pilgrim. Donativo, no place to leave money, but I wrapped the key in a bill, and put it in the yellow post box next to the ayuntamiento as instructed when I left in the morning. The bar, not really open in the afternoon when I had stopped by, cheerfully made me a take out coffee for the morning.

Day 5. Abertura to Trujillo. 24 km. The scenery changes completely. All day was on a Via Pecuaria, one of the drover’s routes in Spain, first briefly on a paved road, then a white dirt/gravel road, then a rough track passable by tractors, and then barely a trail, more a choice of cow paths, easy to follow because it was always bordered by either stone walls or fences. Again no need for yellow arrows. I saw 2 cars and 1 cyclist all day. Huge granite boulders, hills, wild flowers everywhere, sheep and cows. Mud. The roman bridge towards the end of the day was striking. Then up over a hill and Trujillo appears just ahead. I stayed in Hotel Hueso, 34 euros, which was fine, and just a block from the plaza. There may be simple pilgrim accommodation near the entrance of town which I did not investigate; it may be closed. Jose Antonia Ortega recommended Hotel Hueso, (or Hotel Julio) so I chose one of those. The gazpacho and moraga (seared chunks of meat on a bed of lettuce) were a delicious part of the hotel’s menu del dia. Trujillo is an historic place, swarming with Spanish tour groups, and very impressive. I visited the Iglesia de Santiago, which is now a museum featuring the work of Spanish artist and musician Jaime de Jaraiz. It has a statue of Santiago as part of the altarpiece and is a lovely church.

Day 6 Trujillo to La Aldea del Obispo. 14km. As this was a very short day (the alternative was 41 km) I slept in, had the hotel breakfast at 8 am, and walked about the historic part of town a bit more, before leaving town. This was a day of walking on the broad shoulder of the asphalt road EX-208. The guide argues that this shoulder is broad and the traffic light. I found the traffic heavier than I liked, and the shoulder not that broad, but it was what it was. At km 69.2, one has the option of going off asphalt to the left, initially on a track suitable for a 4 wheel drive vehicle, which stops after ¼ km at a gate. From there on it is a matter of making your own route literally, the last 6 km to La Aldea del Obispo. The initial terrain is granite boulders, and fairly dense undergrowth of flowers, shrubs and small trees. There are no cow or sheep paths. Down on the plains below is dehesa with widely spaced holm oak trees and pastures. It is quite beautiful, and if I had had a companion, I think I would have tried to walk it. But alone, no longer young, with no defined trail, not being able to see my destination, not knowing if the VP (Via Pecuaria) markers continued clearly, not knowing if there would be fences to climb over, I returned to the highway. I also did not have a wikilocs on my phone defining this particular 6 km stretch, and mapy.cz did not map this either. So back to the highway and approaching La Aldea del Obispo just before 1pm, my scheduled arrival time arranged on the phone with the ayuntamiento the day before, a car stopped, asked if I was the pilgrim and invited me to jump in and ride the last quarter km into town, to the home of the woman I was scheduled to me, Senora Petri. What a welcome. She walked me to the bar to introduce me to the owner, where a meal was arranged for me later in the day, walked me to the 2 tiny groceries stores and then to the Casa De Peregrinos, an entire 2 bedroom house, with sitting room, full kitchen, lovely bathroom with tub and shower, interior patio with clotheslines and pins, clean sheets and towels. Donativo. The last pilgrim who had stayed there was a Spaniard 10 days earlier. Petri said I was the first solo woman who had ever stayed there. It is just down the street from the casa rural where Maggie stayed. Such a welcome in a tiny village. As I walked around in the cooler evening, everyone seemed to know I was the pilgrim staying in their Casa De Peregrinos and it was clear that all were proud of what they had to offer pilgrims.
(continuing below...)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
(Continuing)
Day 7. La Aldea del Obispo to Torrejón el Rubio. 27 km. This was the day of motorcycles whizzing by noisily, all day long, hundreds of them, while I walked on the shoulder of the familiar EX-208. The road is mostly straight, through dehesa, following a Via Pecuaria with bridges over 2 rivers. It was a day of talking to black pigs, sheep and cows. In Torrejon el Rubio I stayed in the Posada el Arriero, 41 euros, which was the cheapest place I could find. Casa Rural de La Canada may be a few euros cheaper but did not have availability. If you watch the youtubes done by Alvaro Lazaga Busto in 2018, he stayed in a shelter without water or electricity in Torrejon el Rubio. I didn’t feel up to investigating that possible option. The Posada el Arriera had kind staff, and they packed me a huge breakfast to go, including a take-out coffee, as I wanted to leave before 9am when they opened the next morning.

Day 8. Torrejon el Rubio to Camping Monfragues. 28 km. This was a day of trails in the park, especially welcome after a day of highway walking. It is really quite beautiful, and solitary; I never saw anyone while trail walking. Actually I never saw anyone while walking between towns at any point on this variant. Descending into the gully to cross the Puente Viejo in the early morning light was beautiful, then up the other side and following yet another Via Pecuaria route, roughly marked by wooden stakes, sometimes with purple tips. I walked across meadows without trails which I’m sure would have been very boggy with rain. Then up to the high ridge of the Sierra de las Corchuelas on a rough very stony path, stopping to watch wild boar cross my trail just ahead, then steeply down to the Rio Tajo, crossing the road bridge because the historic Puente Cardenal was submerged, then on trails up to Villarreal de San Carlos where the bar was open for coffee and tortilla con patatas, most welcome, then on up another hill and then an even higher hill, actually higher that the Sierra de las Corchuelas, to a fire lookout, and then a view of the plains all the way to Plasencia. Down steeply, and a path/country road across the dehesa to the familiar EX-208 where the last 4 km was a choice of highway shoulder walking or an adequate path next to the fence below the road and usually out of sight of it. Camping Montfegue offered a studio with 2 beds for 40 euros. This was cheaper than the 55 euro bungalow. The 10 euro for a bed in a dormitory mentioned by Maggie and others is no longer even in the memory of the staff of Camping. The studio had a refrigerator, adequate beds and a bathroom. It is located in the same building as the bar/restaurant. The bar opens at 8am for coffee and cake.

Day 9. Camping Monfrague to Plasencia. 11 km, again on the shoulder of EX-208, with steady traffic. (There is a 18 km alternative following the Via Pecuaria by way of Malpartida de Plasencia which would avoid the EX-298 road walking.) I stayed at the recommended Albergue Turistico Santa Ana, 18 euros, where, for the first time, I shared a room with other pilgrims. The Iglesia de Santiago was locked but there is a bas-relief of Santiago on the exterior. The Cathedral tour is free to pilgrims and offers a beautiful sello. The tourist office offers a different sello. I had time to wander and visit the Parque de los PInos where I sat and watched dozens of amazing peacocks strutting about.

This was the end of my camino. I had previously walked the Via de la Plata from Seville to Santinago, and did not feel inclined to repeat it. I was finding the heat and sun very difficult. I should have continued one day further to Aldeanueva del Camino, to really complete the variant, but the train to Madrid was more convenient from Plasencia, so that is where I stopped.

My conclusions: It is about 90 km shorter than the route via Merida, if one is continuing to Salamanca or Santiago. It is different, if one has already walked via Merida, as I had. It is a beautiful way with varying scenery. It is very solitary. I only saw one pilgrim in the variant stretch between Magacela and Plasencia for about 3 minutes in a hotel; I never saw him again. (On the other hand I saw only 4 pilgrims briefly on the Camino Mozarabe from Malaga to Magacela, so neither was well traveled when I was walking.) The few municipal albergues that exist in small villages are very welcoming, and are atypical, in that they are rooms in parochial, or community centers or small houses. One can’t count on stores being open or bars offering food. There are no “pilgrim menus” advertised; what a relief! It is simply a walk through rural and small town Spain where the pilgrim is offered hospitality and kindness. I very much appreciated that, and am so glad I finally walked this variant.

@Sitkapilgrim thanks so much for your very full account. It brought back many memories. Glad you found the peacock park in Placensia - what an unexpected treat. 🙏

@Sitkapilgrim thanks so much for your very full account. It brought back many memories. Glad you found the peacock park in Placensia - what an unexpected treat. 🙏
And I sought out the park because you mentioned it and provided such glorious photos. So thank You!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just discovered the Camino Mozárabe por Trujillo and I thought this thread needed te be moved upwards. Thanks a lot for your elaborate report @Sitkapilgrim! Sounds like a trip down La España Vacía for the real Spain lover. I'll add it to my (already long) wishlist!

Attachments

• Camino Trujillo.jpg
    Camino Trujillo.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 20
If you take this route through Plasencia you can continue on the Via Verde to north of Bejar (flat steady 40+ miles on a gravel trail). From there you can join the 'traditional' VDLP. This VV is supposed to go all the way to Salamanca eventually.

Attachments

• Birds of the ViaVerde.JPG
    Birds of the ViaVerde.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 14
  • Camino signs at the end.JPG
    Camino signs at the end.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 3
  • Looking out from Via Verde near Palencia.JPG
    Looking out from Via Verde near Palencia.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 5
  • Via Verde signposting.JPG
    Via Verde signposting.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 13
My stages were shorter than my usual because it was extremely hot with fierce sun this March for me, an Alaskan. I could not walk well after 1pm as the day got hotter and hotter.
Wow, that must have been hard for you. I was on the Mozarabe around the same time, maybe even earlier. I live in Malaga, and even then it was unbearably hot for me at times.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This wonderful description took me back a ways, too.. In the early 90s, when I was still a freelance, I took a 10-day horseback trail ride that followed Caniada drovers' trails from the Parador de Gredos down the Valle de Jerte and onto Monfrague Wildlife refuge, where we picked up a path you describe right the way to Plasencia and on to Trujillo. It was wonderful, exhausting, eye-opening. It never really occurred to me it might be a Camino trail, too! Maybe because we took it southward?
My hat is off to you, Sitka. I can't imagine walking that long long trail.

Back