• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New accommodation now available in Charente Maritime

Alisoun

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Turonensis, Voie de Tours (2017)
Greetings to all pilgrims

Following my original post about my dream for a Pilgrim's Halt on the Via Turonensis or Voie de Tours, I am happy to announce that I can now offer accommodation at special Pilgrim rates. I've just got permission from the owner of the house I'm living in to offer this whilst I battle on trying to buy the house next door and find the funding to do it up!

The location is right on the Chemin de St Jaques (GR655) 5km south of Mirambeau.

The accommodation consists of:
Family suite - double bed room, and single bed room with space for two extra beds with shared en suite shower/bath and toilet.
Twin bed room with en suite shower and toilet.
There is an additional separate toilet and a separate shower.

There are two terraces and a balcony and small garden. There is also a sauna (but would have to charge extra for that). And two indoor lounges.

The price per person per night is 25 Euros and includes a 3 course evening meal and a copious (but not cooked) breakfast. Bread, yoghurts and jams are all home made, vegetables supplied from a local market gardener, and milk direct from the farm nearby.

I can also offer a packed lunch for a small amount extra. Likewise the use of the washing machine, though there's no tumble dryer so that would depend on the weather.

There's free wifi as well, and if you are totally exhausted when you get to Mirambeau I can do a pick up service - either just your luggage or you and luggage. :D

As far as I can gather this is within the budget most pilgrims try to stick to and covers my costs, although if anyone wants to pay more it won't be refused and any profit will go towards the 'dream' plan

For any further information please contact me directly by email at lepetitbreuillet@gmail.com

I speak fluent French as well as English, although I guess if you're reading this forum you're an English speaker. :)

Bonne route, and hoping to see some of you soon. If you're just passing on your way to St Aubin de Blaye you're welcome to stop in for a free tea/coffee/cold drink.

Attachments

• IMG_20170717_184323.jpg
    IMG_20170717_184323.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,828
  • IMG_20170717_184156.jpg
    IMG_20170717_184156.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20170717_183944.jpg
    IMG_20170717_183944.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20170717_183510.jpg
    IMG_20170717_183510.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20170717_183607.jpg
    IMG_20170717_183607.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG0290A.jpg
    IMG0290A.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 23
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just a further update.

I've now had a variety of pilgrim visitors who seem to appreciate the accommodation, the quiet surroundings, meals and so on. Lots of lovely comments in the Pilgrim Visitors Book.:)

So far a young man from Mexico who didn't speak any French and who had been 'camping sauvage'; a Dutch gentleman with a French lady friend; 2 ladies from Tours who are doing the chemin in stages.; a gentleman from Evreux whose aim was to get to St Jean PdP on this occasion and complete the Spanish section later in the year or next year.

All have appreciated home cooked bread, home made yoghurt and jams, home made cakes! And I have thoroughly enjoyed cooking for them and the interesting conversations. Interestingly most of them have overslept in the morning by as much as half an hour, so it's a good job they're already 5kms further down the route! :D

They all seem to think I should get a 'stamp' made for their credencial. Would this be a good idea or should I be officially registered with a Camino organisation before I do? Any advice and comments would be welcome.

Hey, we used to ask hotels and such on the Paris/Chartres variant for a tampon, and they mostly didn't have one and sometimes had never heard of such a thing, so they used what they had (once it was the laundry stamp) or they drew something for us, which was fun.

You don't need to belong to an organisation to have one. If it makes your life easier, get one made up.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@pudgypilgrim Thank you for your reply. I have so far just put the address and signed the credencial, but I'm rubbish at drawing, so I think I'll get one made up if I continue to get lots of visitors.

@pudgypilgrim Thank you for your reply. I have so far just put the address and signed the credencial, but I'm rubbish at drawing, so I think I'll get one made up if I continue to get lots of visitors.

A single chap yesterday and a couple today I spotted heading your way. You'll have (if want to) advertise on french forum/s as most I speak to are french.

Alisoun,

As you may know in France there is a often a Chain of Local
Hospitality offered for passing pilgrims. See more in French here. We who offer such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them find their way. If such a Chain of Local Hospitality/ l'Accueil pèlerins à domicile exists in the Charente-Maritime your place would be a great new citation.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Tuesday Wildchild , @mspath Thank you for the replies. I've been in touch with various organisations to let them know. Thanks to one of the pilgrims from Tours, I had a call from the publishers of the Guide two days ago, and the address and details will be included in updates until the next edition is published sometime in 2019. Since the entire conversation was in French, and I forgot to ask about other languages, I presume that at least the French edition will carry the info.

Local Tourist Office has all the details too, and they have referred most people.

I also sent an email to the compostelle17 site having been redirected from your link mspath some time ago. They don't seem to have included anything yet though. In fact all my efforts at contact apart from this site have been directed at French speakers as almost all those I've spoken to passing the door are French.

Once things settle down a bit from my house move and the holiday traffic has calmed down I will take a run up to Pons and Saintes and visit their Associations.

Thanks to all of you who have given me such encouragement and advice.

A quick update on events here.
A delightful couple (French) to stay a couple of nights ago. They had done the entire pilgrimage via the Vezelay route a couple of years ago,and in stages prior to that, this year they decided to try another route.

Starting from Brittany they were 3 weeks into their walk and having already done Compostella a couple of times were actually heading for Lourdes this time.

Having lived in the south of the Landes I was able to help them with information about getting from Dax to Lourdes.

I know this site is dedicated to Compostella, but it is interesting that this particular part of the route could also be very applicable to pilgrims heading for Lourdes on foot.

A thoroughly enjoyable visit for me and some very complimentary remarks on the standard of accommodation. :) They offered more than the requested amount and I have added this to the 'pot' towards the dream previously mentioned in this forum.

buen camino

@Tuesday Wildchild , @mspath Thank you for the replies. I've been in touch with various organisations to let them know. Thanks to one of the pilgrims from Tours, I had a call from the publishers of the Guide two days ago, and the address and details will be included in updates until the next edition is published sometime in 2019. Since the entire conversation was in French, and I forgot to ask about other languages, I presume that at least the French edition will carry the info.

Local Tourist Office has all the details too, and they have referred most people.

I also sent an email to the compostelle17 site having been redirected from your link mspath some time ago. They don't seem to have included anything yet though. In fact all my efforts at contact apart from this site have been directed at French speakers as almost all those I've spoken to passing the door are French.

Once things settle down a bit from my house move and the holiday traffic has calmed down I will take a run up to Pons and Saintes and visit their Associations.

Thanks to all of you who have given me such encouragement and advice.

See you next year, we will walk Paris to StJPdP

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Thornley, I'll look forward to meeting you. Just send me an email with rough dates when you are setting out and I'll make sure places are available.

The picture is my new tampon for the credencial. Typically since I received it I haven't had any more visitors, but it's ready and waiting to be used. Hope it meets with approval. :)

buen camino, bon chemin à tous

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for the information. I am currently looking at this route - starting from Paris, my home city. It is only a gleam in my eye at the moment....but hey, so were my other Caminos to start with. :)
If it takes shape I'll be in touch!
All the best!

Just briefly to say that Le Petit Breuillet is open again for pilgrims. However, if you're thinking of coming this way in the near future you'll probably need a snorkel!!! :) Use of the washing facilities and tumble dryer are free to anyone brave enough to be making the attempt in this weather.;)

To those who have followed me, I'm sorry, but the dream goes no further. Petit Breuillet is closing its doors totally at the end of August this year, as health reasons mean that I will be returning to the UK.

I've really enjoyed meeting the pilgrims who have come to stay over the last 18 months, and wish them and all future pilgrims the very best.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Alisoun. I'd hoped to meet you when I pick up where I left off.

Wishing you the best with your health.

Sorry to hear of your health problems. Wishing you all the best for your move.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Fleur. Osteoporosis now very severe, and too isolated here. Also have new grandchild to get to know. Looking forward to another new chapter.

New chapters are great. One door closes another one opens. Bon courage.

Thanks Fleur. Osteoporosis now very severe, and too isolated here. Also have new grandchild to get to know. Looking forward to another new chapter.

Good luck Alisoun- @Alisoun It’s best to be closer to family right now .. I’m sorry I never had the opportunity to enjoy your accommodations and meet you ..

Annie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.