• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New addiction to hiking (thanks CF), so now what?

FrancesK

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (April/May 2012); Le puy (Sept 2013)
Hi all,

I completed the Camino Frances in June and loved every day. I realise much of it was to do with the people i met along the way but i've always been a bush hiker and this passion has definitely turned into a love of long-distance hiking now.

So, i pose this question to all of you that have also discovered this passion. Which long-distance hike(s) did you choose to do after CF and why?

(I'm having trouble deciding which to do next. I was called to CF so there was no choice required, now there's too many that sound brilliant!)

Cheers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola

Depende, as the Spanish would say. The answer depends on the time you have to spend walking and where you want to walk. Also if you want to meet many other pilgrims and walk where the system of albergues is developed. If you are comfortable walking outside of Spain then you could explore the routes further back in France which join with the Camino Frances....starting in Paris, or Le Puy or Arles.

In Spain there is the Camino Portugues from Lison - Oporto - Santiago or from Oporto to Santiago. Then there are the long distance routes in Spain...the Via de la Plata, 1000 kms from Seville, the Camino Levante from Valencia and so on.

A good place to start researching other routes is here: http://www.csj.org.uk/routes.htm

Let us know what you decide to do please!

Buen camino

John

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I agree with all the above and would add the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome http://www.francigena-international.org ... hp?lang=en.

The Lycian Way is very intriguing. Turkey is wonderful and the LW would certainly be an adventure.

The albergue system and the quantity of pilgrims on the CF makes it unique, I think. Or at least in my other non-CF caminos I've never quite experienced the same blend of community, scenic beauty, and spirituality -- with albergues only about 5-10 km apart on average.

Have you considered a Trek in Nepal? You can't believe how easy they are to do on your own, teahouse to teahouse.

Hi FrancesK
welcome to the addicts club,you may find as I do that all the other LDP's as beautiful as they maybe pale a little compared to the CF,as you say its the people you meet there that give's you that buzz that rush that lasts well after you go home,there is no cure only a repeat hit :wink:
Ian

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think it depends on what you are looking for. If you want a large community of fellow hikers, the CF is probably one of the only places in the world you'll find that.

If you just want a long walk without having to carry more than day-pack gear, walking in Europe is your best bet because you can walk from town to town (though I'll be much more expensive). I've done this in switzerland and it is amazing. With over 42,000 KM of hiking trails it's a great place to spend a few weeks wandering and, if you want, you never have to enter a large city. However, you'll likely only ever see large groups of fellow hikers on the weekends.

If you want a long hike and are willing to carry all your support gear, you have *many* more options all over the world.

Personally, I've always had a dream to circle the globe using only surface transport/my feet. Depending on how the CF goes in September, I might start that next year.

Following CF I have done Camino Salvado in Western Australia and I am nearly halfway along the St Olav Way in Norway now.

The Brecon Beacons and Pen y Fan

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks everyone for responding. I've decided to do the Le Puy route in September 2013!

I was tossing up between a number of different hikes, all of course sound amazing in their own right, but none jumping out and saying 'pick me, pick me'....until I had a dream about the Le Puy route which even included the time of year i should do it in!

My own unconscious sorting out my dilemma? Or God showing me the way as he did with the Camino Frances...who knows, but i'm clear now. Time to get planning! :D

Chemin du Puy in autumn! All being well, you'll enjoy the Aubrac in clement weather, then have cooler conditions at lower altitude as the season wears on.

Don't forget: Le Puy itself is a great town. The fun starts as soon as that train from Saint-Etienne gets into the volcanic country.

Frances, it's going to be great.

Rob

Here's another vote for the Le Puy route, especially in September. You will not want for company - it is a very popular walking time!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
FrancesK said:
My own unconscious sorting out my dilemma? Or God showing me the way as he did with the Camino Frances...who knows, but i'm clear now. Time to get planning! :D
Hi Frances, How could you possibly go wrong with guidance systems like that?

There are thousands of wonderful long distance trails around the world but the presence of the other pilgrims makes the Camino a special experience. Le Puy was my choice after the Camino Frances and it was glorious! Pilgrims, beautiful scenery, gorgeous villages, French food - what's not to love?

I have CF under the belt 2011, now Camino Norte 2012, going Sept to do Madrid ( maybe Salvador and Prinitivo). But Le Puy or Arles beckon bigtime for a long distance in 2013.
I like the other proposals re Turkey, Nepal etc but the Camino is special to me now...of course Francigena may be the one to beat all others sometime soon?

unadara said:
I have CF under the belt 2011, now Camino Norte 2012, going Sept to do Madrid ( maybe Salvador and Prinitivo). But Le Puy or Arles beckon bigtime for a long distance in 2013.
I like the other proposals re Turkey, Nepal etc but the Camino is special to me now...of course Francigena may be the one to beat all others sometime soon?

I believe there are 31 different routes dating back to medieval times, so you should have enough to keep you going until 2040! Of course, as they approach SdC the routes merge. The Camino Frances is the 'busiest' route with most pilgrims. Most of the others are quieter. But they are all beautiful and give us time to think and walk and enjoy nature and freedom.
Buen camino!

Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.