• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New again ☺️

Stefania Rodgers

Time of past OR future Camino
Past Camino 2014
I am beginning to plan another Camino. My only Camino frances was in 2014. During that trip I injured my Achilles tendon and got shin splints. Regardless, the next year I hiked the John Muir trail in England. That trip I broke my foot! It was a stress fracture near the end of the trail.
So 8 years later I really want to get back to the Camino. This time I am going to do just a couple weeks before returning home in an effort to reduce my risks of leg/foot problems.
My decision is do I start at Sarria and do the slow paced 2 weeks or do I start further back and just plan on returning for a few years? I will be nearly 68 by next fall and want to go in September if possible. I live in a very flat part of the USA. So walking up and down stairs or using a stair climber are my only choices for hill training.
Sorry for the long post. Thank you in advance for any help or encouragement.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am beginning to plan another Camino. My only Camino frances was in 2014. During that trip I injured my Achilles tendon and got shin splints. Regardless, the next year I hiked the John Muir trail in England. That trip I broke my foot! It was a stress fracture near the end of the trail.
So 8 years later I really want to get back to the Camino. This time I am going to do just a couple weeks before returning home in an effort to reduce my risks of leg/foot problems.
My decision is do I start at Sarria and do the slow paced 2 weeks or do I start further back and just plan on returning for a few years? I will be nearly 68 by next fall and want to go in September if possible. I live in a very flat part of the USA. So walking up and down stairs or using a stair climber are my only choices for hill training.

Hi and welcome here!
Btw not a long post at all...you should see other ones... :)
I think that a slow paced Camino from Sarria on sounds very feasible! And if you are able to walk more kilometers than maybe the epilogue to Finisterre might be doable also?

Happy preparations!

Do it right! Start at SJPDP and take your time! Lot of people with leg/foot problems walk the whole Camino. Might take a couple years to finish but that is very common. Age--did SJPDP to Finisterre at 69 and did the Primitivo this year at 74. While walking the Primitivo in May at least 30% of walkers were over 70. Hills? --I do NOT think you can really train for a Camino--it is the day after day after day that wears you down. Recall meeting a man who trained by walking 20 Km each day for 30 days in a row--he could have just walked the Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do it right! Start at SJPDP and take your time! Lot of people with leg/foot problems walk the whole Camino. Might take a couple years to finish but that is very common. Age--did SJPDP to Finisterre at 69 and did the Primitivo this year at 74. While walking the Primitivo in May at least 30% of walkers were over 70. Hills? --I do NOT think you can really train for a Camino--it is the day after day after day that wears you down. Recall meeting a man who trained by walking 20 Km each day for 30 days in a row--he could have just walked the Camino!

There is no such thing as a " whole " Camino.

And certainly no right or wrong.

Last edited:
Do it right! Start at SJPDP and take your time! Lot of people with leg/foot problems walk the whole Camino.
By consciously walking a slow paced two weeks from Sarria and taking care of her body, the OP is "doing it right". She will certainly be walking a whole camino.

I do NOT think you can really train for a Camino
This kind of blanket statement doesn't make sense to me. Of course you can train - with research, practical and physical preparation, all based what we individually know about our own bodies.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, I appreciate it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just to clarify, the John Muir Way in the UK is in Scotland, NOT England! There is a big difference.

Just to clarify, the John Muir Way in the UK is in Scotland, NOT England! There is a big difference.
And just to clarify, there is another relatively famous John Muir Trail, 200+ miles in California, USA...absolutely beautiful and a big difference to the others, ending at Mt. Whitney, elevation 14,400 ft.!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.