• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Albegue in Lourenza

Ingrid T

Time of past OR future Camino
2014 Frances, Portugues (2016), Del Norte, Portugues, VDLP Sept 2018,Paris, Arles,Madrid (2019)
Hi guys, just thought I’d let you all know that I tried to get accomodation in the new Pilgrims albergue in Lourenza (Albergue Publico de peregrinos) which only opened in May 2018. I emailed them and got a reply back to say the ALBERGUE is not open on that day (this was a Saturday). Now am I wrong in saying we pilgrims walk everyday and to be told that a NEW albergue that was built for the pilgrims was closed is kind of WRONG. I also met up with a couple of Italian ladies who called that same albergue and who booked for the same day as me and on arrival it was closed. Pilgrim beware and if someone knows the answer to why it was not open please advise. Cheers and Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome to the Forum!

We don't know why it was closed so I would hesitate to make any assumptions about whether it's right or wrong. Certainly inconvenient, but I would love to have background information first.

Hi guys, just thought I’d let you all know that I tried to get accomodation in the new Pilgrims albergue in Lourenza (Albergue Publico de peregrinos) which only opened in May 2018. I emailed them and got a reply back to say the ALBERGUE is not open on that day (this was a Saturday). Now am I wrong in saying we pilgrims walk everyday and to be told that a NEW albergue that was built for the pilgrims was closed is kind of WRONG. I also met up with a couple of Italian ladies who called that same albergue and who booked for the same day as me and on arrival it was closed. Pilgrim beware and if someone knows the answer to why it was not open please advise. Cheers and Buen Camino.

Just wondering if you are sure it is the municipal albergue you are talking about. When you say some Italian peregrinas "booked for the same day", it makes me think you are not talking about the municipal albergue. Though it is impossible to generalize about much when it comes to albergues, one very clear rule is that no reservations are allowed (except perhaps on occasion in La Robla on the Salvador, but that is a special problem, right Kinky?).

I just took a look at Gronze and it now lists 3 private albergues, and maybe you are talking about one of them. Both Albergue Castelos and Albergue Salvador are listed as having opened in 2018. When I walked last year, there was the municipal and nothing more, so that is a huge increase. And the municipal has been there for many many years so that's another reason why I'm thinking there may be some consufion here.

Anyway, I'm not trying to correct you, just want to make sure the right information is out there for people walking through. There is also a cute little museum there devoted to, believe it or not, Lourenza's special beans. People told us that the special "fabas"(beans) used to make "fabada" (the best known Asturian regional specialty) are usually made with beans from the Lourenza region, which is heresy because Lourenza is in Galicia and not Asturias!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back