Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Albergue - Club Náutico de la presa de Belesar

Ribeirasacra

Time of past OR future Camino
the highway
Back on the 12 February the wife and I went to the opening of a new tourist facility here on the banks of the Rio Miño. It is going to be a sports facility cafeteria etc and an Albergue for the Camino de Invierno. At the time of the official opening of this business the Albergue was not ready. I have waited for some further news about the new Albergue, but sadly all I can say is it will be opened round about Easter time. I have seen the building but not inside yet. When I have more news I will post it.
Below is a link to the newspaper article about the opening.

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/lemos/2010 ... 291562.htm

The location for the albergue is something like 7 km to the north of the Camino. This may seem strange. But there are presently no Albergue for this section. It makes use of a building that has not been used for about 6 years. The building is there and will not need any permission to construct anything new. Gaining permissions and building takes a lot of time so this could be a good short cut to get a new facility up and running.
Later I will post more about the route between the Camino and the Albergue.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Ian,

Thanks for posting this. I have a question about the location of the albergue with regard to the notes that I translated and the short "walking guide" that I put together. (It's at this link:
camino-de-invierno/topic7619.html )

What I'm trying to figure out is where the 7 km detour would come, and I think that I have identified it. On approximately page 8 of my word document, the Camino hits the Mino River at Belesar. I assume that the albergue is 7 km up or down river from that point. If that's correct, pilgrims who want to stay there would have a 30 km walk from Monforte de Lemos, because the notes I translated say that from Monforte de Lemos to the Mino River is 23 km. Plus 7 to the albergue makes 30. And I'm guessing that it might be a very nice 7 km walk alongside the river.

If 30 km is too long a day, there would be the choice of staying in one of the Casas rurales after Monforte de Lemos, which would make the walk to the new albergue shorter. That is, if a peregrino wound up at either Rectoral de Castillón (10 km after Monforte) or Torre Vilariño (14 km after Monforte), he or she would have a 13 or 9 km walk to the Mino River, plus the 7 km to the albergue after that. So a stop at one of those Casas Rurales would make the next day a short 20 or 16 km walk.

If that's right, then the day of departure from the new albergue, it would be 7 km back to the Camino (assuming it requires backtracking), 3 more km to Chantada and another 27 to Rodeiro, which would make that day a very long 37 to Rodeiro or a short 10 km to Chantada. It doesn't look like there's any accommodation between Chantada and Rodeiro.

If I have this all messed up, I'm sorry. But I'd like to edit the word document once the albergue is up and running. And I do like to play around with these stages and imagine that some day in the not too distant future I might be able to walk this route! Thanks, Laurie

I missed your posting of the word document… sorry.
There are several places you can leave the trail for the Albergue. One is at the village of Diomondi. Second is in the village of Belesar. There are several routes you can take to get back onto the Camino from the Albergue.
I do have some additional information to add to your word document and I will email with those.
As it is not open until Easter I hopefully have enough time to collate the information for you.

Ian

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was really hoping to be able to report something about this facility. But it seems as the building has not been used for many years they have ran into more problems than expected during the renovation. So it may not even be open for Easter at this rate. :(

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back