• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New albergue in Alpriate -- NOW CLOSED PERMANENTLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Note from the mods in January, 2024. This thread is obsolete, the albergue has been permanently closed, and the caminho from Lisbon no longer passes through Alpriate.

I have just heard from José Luis and the Via Lusitana that the new albergue in Alpriate is up and running and OPEN for business. 3 pilgrims yesterday, 2 today. 1 Brazilian, 3 USA, 1 Portuguese.

I was there last Saturday and cannot believe the amount of work this dedicated bunch of pilgrims has spent getting this little house ready for operation as an albergue. There are, I believe 8 beds, in three rooms upstairs (actually, they are high quality thick mattresses, no bed frame). Downstairs there is a sitting room with fireplace (it works!), an equipped kitchen with kitchen table, a bath with shower and toilet. There is a little enclosed patio out back with lines for clothes and a grill for outdoor cooking. Extra mattresses can be used for more pilgrims in a pinch.

The black tape X over "albergue" has now been removed, soon the hole below will be replastered as the water work is finished, and you can find the house right smack dab on the camino in Alpriate, across from a water fountain.

There is a café right around the corner, with good home cooking and inexpensive meals, and another fuller restaurant about two minutes up the hill from the albergue. If you go, tell them you're from the forum!

Bom caminho to all on the Caminho Portugués, Laurie

alpriate1.jpg

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good news - tempting to consider another caminho portuguese .... and thanks for sharing ...

Hello Peregrina2000. Thanks for the info. What is the telephone number of this new albergue in Alpriate?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Peregrina2000. Thanks for the info. What is the telephone number of this new albergue in Alpriate?

I don't know the telephone number, but I will ask. But I think if you call the SOS peregrino number on the Via Lusitana website, you will make the necessary contact. I'm also sure the number will be posted on the door of the albergue. Bom caminho! Laurie

Walked past this building early April, poster indicated opening 15th April. Locals very friendly.... but me, only speak the english! I know John Brierly visited this village recently.

Buen Camino

Thanks Peregrina2000. I will be stopping in early September! Yeah! 20 km is perfect for me

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It is great news that the Alpriate albergue is now open. It is just the right distance from Lisbon for a first day. My daughter and I turned up there about three weeks ago, only to find it was not yet ready to open, which was disappointing. But when we rang the Via Lusitana help line they were great; very helpful. We went to the cafe just around the corner, where the woman rang several alternative places and eventually arranged for a taxi to take us to the train station so we could get back to Lisbon accommodation.We trained and taxied back Alpriate the next morning to recommence our walk. So, our sincere thanks to Via Lusitana for that help. And best wishes for the new hostel's opening.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is great news that the Alpriate albergue is now open. It is just the right distance from Lisbon for a first day. My daughter and I turned up there about three weeks ago, only to find it was not yet ready to open, which was disappointing. But when we rang the Via Lusitana help line they were great; very helpful. We went to the cafe just around the corner, where the woman rang several alternative places and eventually arranged for a taxi to take us to the train station so we could get back to Lisbon accommodation.We trained and taxied back Alpriate the next morning to recommence our walk. So, our sincere thanks to Via Lusitana for that help. And best wishes for the new hostel's opening.

Hi, David,

You'll just have to go walk it again and stay in the albergue -- that little cafe has some pretty decent (and extremely cheap) home cooking as well.

One of the problems with that first stage from the cathedral is that, except on weekends, the private place in Verdelha (which is in Brierley's book as an option) is filled with construction workers. With a stop in Alpriate, the next day to Vila Franca de Xira is a good one.

I know the Via Lusitana had hoped to open the albergue in April, but when you renovate an old house, the surprises are frequent. Last Saturday, when I was there, there were 6 Via Lusitana members and one electrician, and to tell you the truth, I'm surprised they were even able to open last week! Having the support of the Apostle must help!

Do they need any extra financial help?
Yes.
But we need Hospitaleiros Voluntarios more.
Anyway, the Albergue de Peregrinos de Alpriate is now open.
Peregrina2000 made a good report of everything. Thank you Laurie.
No reservations, so no need to phone the Albergue. If you need something just call SOS peregrino phone (+351) 915 595 213; the number is on the door, also.
Thank you for the kind words, David from Freo. We liked to know everything turned ok to you and your daughter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello,

There is a phone number listed on the Facebook page: 915 595 213. This is the same as the SOS number listed above.

:)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Is this the café in Alpriate you talk of? I walked in here on a very, very hot day in July 2 years ago. They keep their tin beer mugs in the freezer. It is still the best cold beer I have ever had on any camino. SO glad there is an albergue in Alpriate now too! Jill
20140720_132400 Alpriate, Cold Beer2.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi JLuis,

Will be there in a couple of weeks late afternoon. Very much looking forward to starting my walk off with good people like you.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Hi Laurie,

Thank you very much for the reassurance. Normally, I wouldn't be too concerned. However, I'll be coming off the plane from California, bus to Cathedral, then walk to Alpriate all in one go. I have already spent several days in Lisbon after my Camino Norte in 2010 as a side trip and reward, so it is ok for me to move on after arrival. I'll return anyway after this walk as I fly back home via Lisbon. I'll catch some days on the back end if I desire. Anyway, a 20km walk after a plane ride will be good for me. Knowing my first night should be ok for accommodations makes it even better. Wahoo!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just heard from the Via Lusitana that last week they hit the 300 mark in the new albergue. 4 months, 300 pilgrims, averages out to a little more than 2 per day. I know that's not the way the numbers break down, but it does suggest that if you are walking from Lisbon in high season, your odds of finding company are exponentially better than they were when I walked just 8 (?) years ago.

I'm not sure if/when they close for winter, so I will ask and report back here. Bom Caminho, Laurie

I have just heard from José Luis and the Via Lusitana that the new albergue in Alpriate is up and running and OPEN for business. 3 pilgrims yesterday, 2 today. 1 Brazilian, 3 USA, 1 Portuguese.

I was there last Saturday and cannot believe the amount of work this dedicated bunch of pilgrims has spent getting this little house ready for operation as an albergue. There are, I believe 8 beds, in three rooms upstairs (actually, they are high quality thick mattresses, no bed frame). Downstairs there is a sitting room with fireplace (it works!), an equipped kitchen with kitchen table, a bath with shower and toilet. There is a little enclosed patio out back with lines for clothes and a grill for outdoor cooking. Extra mattresses can be used for more pilgrims in a pinch.

The black tape X over "albergue" has now been removed, soon the hole below will be replastered as the water work is finished, and you can find the house right smack dab on the camino in Alpriate, across from a water fountain.

There is a café right around the corner, with good home cooking and inexpensive meals, and another fuller restaurant about two minutes up the hill from the albergue. If you go, tell them you're from the forum!

View attachment 25729
Ah.. excellent! I'll be there soon (probably friday/saturday this week).

Just an update for anyone planning to walk from Lisbon this fall. The albergue in Alpriate will close for the season on October 31. Date for reopening is not set yet, but likely to be in the mid-March range. Also, the albergue in Azambuja has closed. This is a permanent closure, not for the winter.

And one more tidbit (all from my friends at Via Lusitana).

New wonderful place in Porto de Muge, right at the end, 200 meters after the paved road finish, at number 177. No signs outside yet, just pull the rope on the gate and the bell will ring. A real bell. Paula Castro, 939 997 657, speaks good english and french, very nice lady. Great garden.

Bom caminho to all the Lisbon-starters! Laurie

Just an update for anyone planning to walk from Lisbon this fall. The albergue in Alpriate will close for the season on October 31. Date for reopening is not set yet, but likely to be in the mid-March range. Also, the albergue in Azambuja has closed. This is a permanent closure, not for the winter.

And one more tidbit (all from my friends at Via Lusitana).

New wonderful place in Porto de Muge, right at the end, 200 meters after the paved road finish, at number 177. No signs outside yet, just pull the rope on the gate and the bell will ring. A real bell. Paula Castro, 939 997 657, speaks good english and french, very nice lady. Great garden.

Bom caminho to all the Lisbon-starters! Laurie
Thank you Laurie! I will be walking from Lisbon on March 7, 2017. Will I have trouble finding places that are open? Should I just plan on staying in hotels? Thanks.

Denise

Thank you Laurie! I will be walking from Lisbon on March 7, 2017. Will I have trouble finding places that are open? Should I just plan on staying in hotels? Thanks.

Denise

Hi, Denise, I don't think you will have a problem but if you have a specific question about a particular place, the Via Lusitana's website lists contact info for all of the places. http://www.vialusitana.org/caminho-portugues/albergues/. I'm assuming that all of the privately run accommodations will be open.

Hi, Denise, I don't think you will have a problem but if you have a specific question about a particular place, the Via Lusitana's website lists contact info for all of the places. http://www.vialusitana.org/caminho-portugues/albergues/. I'm assuming that all of the privately run accommodations will be open.
Glad to know you think places will be open. Someone else had told me they wouldn't be. I have the via Lusitana's list. I'm thinking it will be pretty quiet, at least until Porto. Thanks again.

Glad to know you think places will be open. Someone else had told me they wouldn't be. I have the via Lusitana's list. I'm thinking it will be pretty quiet, at least until Porto. Thanks again.
Hi, luvtraveling, when are you leaving? Since many of the places to stay between Lisboa and Porto are private pensiones, I don't think they are seasonal. I remember a few years ago, we had a forum member who walked from Lisboa in winter and had some issues, but not many problems with accommodations, as I recall.

Bom caminho, Laurie

ps Have you seen the new version of the online guide that JohnnieWalker just posted in Resources?

Hi, luvtraveling, when are you leaving? Since many of the places to stay between Lisboa and Porto are private pensiones, I don't think they are seasonal. I remember a few years ago, we had a forum member who walked from Lisboa in winter and had some issues, but not many problems with accommodations, as I recall.

Bom caminho, Laurie

ps Have you seen the new version of the online guide that JohnnieWalker just posted in Resources?
Hi Laurie, I just saw JohnnieWalker's new guide. Thank you, Ill check it out later. I arrive in Lisbon March 7. My plan, at the moment, is to walk to Sacavem and take the train back to Lisbon for the night. The next day I'll return to Sacavem, walk to Alverca de Riboteo and return to Lisbon.

Denise

Hi Laurie, I just saw JohnnieWalker's new guide. Thank you, Ill check it out later. I arrive in Lisbon March 7. My plan, at the moment, is to walk to Sacavem and take the train back to Lisbon for the night. The next day I'll return to Sacavem, walk to Alverca de Riboteo and return to Lisbon.

Denise
Hi, Denise, there's also a document in the resources entitled "walking short stages from Lisbon" that will give you ideas about how to handle those first few days. I think the train out and back idea is a great one, it gives you much more flexibility. I bet you will have some company, the route from Lisboa is becoming much more popular. Bom Caminho! Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
First year statistics:

397 Pilgrims slept in Alpriate.
50 from the United States, 42 Italians, 32 Australians, 26 UK, 21 Dutch, 19 Spaniards, 18 from Canada and France, 17 Danes, 16 Germans, 13 of Hungary, Ireland, Lithuania, 12 Poles.
More than 21 nationalities, counting the 5 Portuguese who slept here.

Not bad, especially since it didn't open till early May. This year the opening date is expected to be early March but I don't think it's finalized yet.

Edited to reflect earlier opening date than previously reported!!!!

Last edited:
Arrived straight from California to Lisbon. Off of airplane, took bus to Se', started my walk all in one go, ended in Alpriate mid-June. Only a wonderful woman from Estonia and me staying. As one could imagine, after that long flight and walk out of Lisbon all at once, all I wanted was a mat on the floor and a bite. A shower enhanced, followed by two big bowls of soup/beer/football match at the little cafe around the corner, and long lie in the next morning before starting "Day 1". A fantastic location and option for anyone walking the Portuguese. Such a kind host as well.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Last edited:
Just to let you know, the Albergue in Alpriate will open March, 15.
And we still have some free weeks in August and September if you want to be an hospitaleiro there.

Bom Caminho

Is it possible or necessary to reserve a bed if we are traveling second or third week of April?
Just wondering as there's only 8 beds.
I take it you have hospitaleiros organised for April?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is it possible or necessary to reserve a bed if we are traveling second or third week of April?
Just wondering as there's only 8 beds.
I take it you have hospitaleiros organised for April?

Don't worry, we will find you a place to sleep. There will be free beds, we can sleep 12 if needed. And a nice neighbour has a free double room for emergencies.
We have an Hospitaleiro Voluntario for the last 2 weeks of April, the first two will be staffed by Via Lusitana members a day or two at a time.
Any volunteer in the house?

JoséLuis

We have an Hospitaleiro Voluntario for the last 2 weeks of April, the first two will be staffed by Via Lusitana members a day or two at a time.
Any volunteer in the house?

JoséLuis

Hi JoséLuis,
I'll send you an email, I can volunteer for a few days if that helps
Craig

Edit - email sent to voluntarios@vialusitana.org

Last edited:

View attachment 25729
If all goes well I will be in Alrpiate May 11th. From reading the thread it appears as though this fine Hostel is right on the Camino. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the Staff.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If all goes well I will be in Alpriate May 11th. From reading the thread it appears as though this fine Hostel is right on the Camino. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the Staff.

Yes, it is right on the Caminho. If you are on facebook, here is a link to their page with lots of pictures. https://www.facebook.com/AlbergueAlpriate/

I am also astonished to see that in their first month of being open this year they had 100 pilgrims! This is a spectacular increase.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
500th pilgrim on July 31, this is increedible growth. And more than that, the TLC from the hospitaleros and the welcoming little village all add up to the perfect first night out of Lisbon.

https://www.facebook.com/AlbergueAlpriate/

Great to see the numbers growing so strong.
I volunteered for a couple of nights in April, really enjoyed my stay and meeting the pilgrims passing through. I intend to return one day and spend a week or two volunteering again. The welcome from JoséLuis and others at Alpriate made me feel very at home. Cant recommend the place highly enough.

Craig

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A very nice & friendly albergue. I was there in April. Nice cafe right around the corner.

Great news! American Pilgrims on the Camino awarded $6,000 to the Via Lusitana to undertake needed repairs on the Alpriate albergue.

From the American Pilgrims website: Asociacion de Peregrinos Via Lusitana - $6,000
Albergue de Peregrinos de Alpriate is a 10 bed albergue on the Camino Portugues on the first stage north of Lisbon in an old building in a small village. The albergue opened in 2016 but requires much more renovation to repair the leaking roof and replace the damaged ceilings. There are no other places to stay on this stage. Based on statistics from 2016, they expect more than 500 pilgrims in 2017 and 750 in 2018. The local association has raised funds to cover the difference between the request and the budget.

So... note that they anticipated receiving about 500 pilgrims in 2017 -- well, look at this -- 600th pilgrim on August 29! https://www.facebook.com/AlbergueAlpriate/

I am proud to call these wonderful people my friends.

View attachment 25729
how do i book this?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
hi. i dropped by the albergue today. but i was refused to stay tonight there, the reason is im walking from north to south. so i have to walk more 15km... i started this camino from geneva, in switzerland and today is the 74th day. this is the first time for me to be told such like that. there are blue arrows that guide pilgrims from north to south in portugal. that's too bad. if someone related to the albergue sees this post, please rethink about it.

It's a small Albergue. Pilgrims walking to Santiago (or Fátima) from Lisboa have precedence over the ones walking around.
The blue arrows pointing South are are between Santiago and Fátima, after that they point North, Lisboa to Fátima.

I have to sympathize with @walking here. A pilgrim is a pilgrim whichever direction he or she is going in. I am thinking of walking from Santiago to Rome next year. Should I expect all the albergues on the Camino Francés to refuse me a bed because I will be walking east instead of west?
Jill

We are hoping to stop here our first night. It looks like you cannot book ahead so am wondering if it is full most nights? Also if it is first come first serve....about what time of day does this happen that it is full? Thanks for any help with this.

We are hoping to stop here our first night. It looks like you cannot book ahead so am wondering if it is full most nights? Also if it is first come first serve....about what time of day does this happen that it is full? Thanks for any help with this.
This is a typical public albergue, no reservations allowed. I can’t remember if there are 12 or 16 beds, but I know that the hospitaleros are good about finding alternatives if and when it fills up. There are a few places in town with beds in extra rooms and peregrinos have stayed there. I don’t know about how frequently or at what time it fills up, sorry.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

View attachment 25729
How can I reserve a place for myself here in April 2024? Is there someone I can email? Does anyone know?

€60,-
This is an older thread. The CP has been re-aligned to follow the Rio Tejo more closely from around Sacavem, no longer goes inland along the Rio Trancao, and Alpriate isn't on the route any longer.

Doug, Thank you for your quick response. This is my first Camino and I am doing the Camino de Fatima and following a route posted on the Stingy Nomads website. Alpriate was their first suggested stop after leaving Lisbon and their next stop wasVila Franca de Xira.

I have reserved hotels, guest houses and albergues for all of their suggestes stops but for Alpriate, Can you suggest what I should try to look for as an alternative? That is a town, village where I can reserve a place to sleep for one night?

Thank you for your help

Doug, Thank you for your quick response. This is my first Camino and I am doing the Camino de Fatima and following a route posted on the Stingy Nomads website. Alpriate was their first suggested stop after leaving Lisbon and their next stop wasVila Franca de Xira.
Is their route updated? I think it changed a few months ago and it doesn't go through Alpriate anymore (not 100% sure)

You can check gronze.com.
The first stage: https://www.gronze.com/etapa/lisboa/vila-franca-xira

I have reserved hotels, guest houses and albergues for all of their suggestes stops but for Alpriate, Can you suggest what I should try to look for as an alternative? That is a town, village where I can reserve a place to sleep for one night?

Thank you for your help
I walked the CP in 2022, before the current alignment was opening along the river. I caught the train back into Lisbon that first day from Povoa, and started again from there the next day. Otherwise, as @JCLima has suggested, check on Gronze to see what is available, or you could try booking.com or Google maps and see what is available in the area. I don't think there is much that is specifically pilgrim oriented now that the albergue at Alpriate has closed. Someone else who has walked recently might have better information about that that I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back