• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino New Albergue in Carcaboso

tmpcoleman

Hi All,
Just a quick note from the Via de la Plata. There is a new Albergue Turistico in Carcabosa. It´s brand new, clean, all mod cons, and I´m the only one staying there tonight! The Hospitalera is gone for the night and won´t be back till 12:00 tomorrow! No snorers, early starters, bag rustlers, queues for anything! Did I die out there on the Way today in the heat and go to Camino Heaven?
Anyway, the weather is terrific. It was mid thirties last week but has now plunged to the high twenties, with a nice breeze until about 3:00. Dumped the sleeping bag a week ago!
A big trek coming up tomorrow, 39 k from Carcabossa to Aldeanueva del Camino. I´ve had a few 35k practice runs already, mainly through getting lost around Galisteo! Something will have to be done about the Galisteo issue!
Bye the way, there other people on this section but they either stopped at Galisteo or didn´t find this new albergue.
Wish me luck for tomorrow!
Will try to post again, but not many internet facilities about.
Tom

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Tom,
I'm very glad things have cooled down for you. And thanks for the news on the new place in Carcaboso. When I was there last year, I stayed in the Hotel Ciudad de Caparra, which at 20E for pilgrims was a real deal. http://www.ciudaddecaparra.com/. The albergue options included a municipal one in a steel shed kind of place on the way out of town. In addition, there is the Bar Via de la Plata, which runs a private albergue upstairs (this is Elena's place, which has been the subject of a couple other postings).

So, now there's yet another option for Carcaboso, and it looks pretty nice. Apparently, it was just recently inaugurated, and even if you can't read Spanish, you can see a of the outside at least: http://www.bejarinformacion.com/index.p ... -carcaboso

Good luck on the long haul to Aldeanueva; for those who don't want to walk that long 39 km stretch, there is a great alternative (if you have the time), which I did at Isabel's recommendation a few years ago: camino-mozarabe-and-via-de-la-plata/topic7625.html I took the off-road version, which allowed me to visit Caparra, its museum, and all the ruins, before continuing back to Oliva de Plasencia. Then the next day, I had to retrace my steps back to Caparra and continue on to Banos de Montemayor. But that was fine, because I went through the arco early in the morning when nothing else around was open.

Buen camino on the rest of the Vdlp. Check in and tell us how things are going if you have time! I loved the Vdlp and hope to walk it again in the not too distant future. Laurie

Good to hear there are more options in Carcaboso.
When I went there in May I intended to stay there, but got so provoked by the owner of the bar Via the la Plata who tried to province me not to go to Olivia de Placencia that I decided to go there.
Had a nice stay at Placencia, was picked up by the road together with some other pilgrims and had a nice evening.
randi

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Laurie, Randi,
Sorry for the delay in getting back. I spoke too soon about the cooling temps. The day after the last post the temperature soared back into the mid thirties and stayed that way all week! I chickened out on the 39k to Aldeanueva and took the 6k road detour to Oliva de Plasencia. Came back by the off road route to Caparra.
I got used to walking in 35c but feel that this is probably my limit. Got a tip from a Spanish guy.Put a 1.5 litre bottle of water in the freezer at night. Next morning, place the frozen bottle of water in the backpack. Place cheese, fruit etc. beside and wrap in fleece. Ice cold drinks all day!
Couple of misc. points:
Green Gate. The gate was open and there were two farmers herding sheep inside. I smiled, waved and they smiled, waved and beckoned me through!
Salamanca: The Albergue was closed when I got there last Sunday for "disinfection"!
San Pedro de Rosados. New Albergue in centre of the village. Run by the people who own the VII Carreras Hotel. Very nice, clean, lovely showers, but no kitchen. Great meal at the hotel.
I had only two weeks available and so finished this phase in Salamanca. Already planning next years (April/May) Camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
tmpcoleman said:
I got used to walking in 35c but feel that this is probably my limit. Got a tip from a Spanish guy.Put a 1.5 litre bottle of water in the freezer at night. Next morning, place the frozen bottle of water in the backpack. Place cheese, fruit etc. beside and wrap in fleece. Ice cold drinks all day!

Thats why I like this forum, little tips like this.

Thanks

Mike

This is amazing and so helpful in planning. I can't stop reading! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back