Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

New albergue in Diomondi

Charrito

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés
Portugués
Portugués Var. Esp.
Port. Cost
Fisterra
Inglés
Invierno
Norte
Sanabrés
Primitivo
More about the albergue in Diomondi:

ranthr

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
I have got the newBrierley guidebook from Ivar today, and after a quick reading I liked it a lot. Maps are good with route alternatives too. Makes me wish to go back when times come . The albergue in Diomondi in the restored bishop´s palace is mentioned too, priced to 8 €. 😊

Charrito

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés
Portugués
Portugués Var. Esp.
Port. Cost
Fisterra
Inglés
Invierno
Norte
Sanabrés
Primitivo
I'd stay there in a heartbeat.
It’s a beautiful church (though I’ve never found it open on any of the many times I’ve been there!). However, there is nothing else up there. You could always walk down to Belesar for something to eat or drink, then walk all the way back up again). Rather you than me!

I’ve always thought that somewhere to stay in Belesar village would be ideal.

ranthr

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Via de la Plata 2011
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
The guidebook says: Historic builing renovated in 2020 with all modern facilities incl. kitchen!😊
I could cook you a meal @ Bad Pilgrim if we meet there😉

ranthr

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Via de la Plata 2011
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
I guess I would walk to Chantada.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
And where would you buy any ingredients for your meal?
I'd buy it on the way out of Monforte, since the camino conveniently passes a supermarket. It's not a hilly walk from there to Diamondi, so the extra weight would not be a huge burden. (That said, I woudn't need to lug a litre of vino tinto...which would add a bit more weight than basic provisions.)

peregrina2000

Staff member
One possible development is that there will be establishments in the area that will offer delivery meals. This has been the case in Outeiro, four kms up a fair-sized hill from Ponte Ulla on the Sanabrés/Vdlp.

There are places in the area that serve food, and I wonder if there’s a chance that the mesón overlooking the horseshoe bend of the Miño (@Charrito remind me of its name) would offer pick up and drop off service so peregrinos could spend an evening out on a terrace overlooking one of the most beautiful spots of the Miño River. Ahh, the possibilities......

In thinking about possible establishments for food delivery, I thought of the Torre Vilariño and remembered that they had a serious fire back in January. I see the website is up and running, but I wonder if anyone knows what is going on there and how their rebuilding effort is going. What a great place, I really hope they survive the double whammy of a fire and covid.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Aragones-Frances (2016); VdlP-Sanabres (2017); Madrid-Frances-Invierno (2019)Levante
I will certainly stay there if I walk the Invierno again. It was my most interesting location when I walked the Invierno last fall. It should be reasonably easy to carry food for an evening meal and breakfast. It would be easier to do if kitchen utilities were present. But doable either way. I should like to see Diomondi again.

peregrina2000

Staff member
And a follow up thought on staying in Diomondi when that becomes possible. Based on Gronze and the forum guide, it looks like Monforte to Diomondi is about 22 or 23 kms. For some that’s a perfect distance. For others it may be too short.

So here is a great way to add on 6 kms and take a circle walk to a couple of small romanesque churches as well as some views of the Miño River that are just fabulous. @VNwalking posted tracks for the loop, which I easily followed a few weeks after she walked. That makes it a perfect day for those who like to walk in the high 20s.

We both stayed at Torre Vilariño, which is also a great option. But either way the loop is well worth it.

Attachments

• 1AED8BF0-9C27-45D4-8EDD-4C9E4C448189.jpeg
    1AED8BF0-9C27-45D4-8EDD-4C9E4C448189.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • F81588C1-D28E-4462-A1D4-EDAB6CB12597.jpeg
    F81588C1-D28E-4462-A1D4-EDAB6CB12597.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 06855B81-6EA2-4208-961A-195A6AF46012.jpeg
    06855B81-6EA2-4208-961A-195A6AF46012.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
I too would love to stay at Diamondi. If you haven't carried food from Monforte, you could take a little detour for lunch at Vilariño and pick up something there to take away for an evening meal at Diamondi. I was sorry I missed taking the the loop to see the churches when I stayed at Vilariño. Almost next door is the excellent ethnological museum, Ecomuseo Arxeriz with a castro and beautiful views of the horseshoe bend in the Miño, pictured above in Laurie's post.

MikeJS

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francis (2011), Norte (12), VdlP (16). Sureste/Invierno (17). Olvidado/San Salvador/Primitivo (19)
I'd buy it on the way out of Monforte, since the camino conveniently passes a supermarket. It's not a hilly walk from there to Diamondi, so the extra weight would not be a huge burden. (That said, I woudn't need to lug a litre of vino tinto...which would add a bit more weight than basic provisions.)
It is a well known camino fact that vino tinto does not add any weight to your pack!

Charrito

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés
Portugués
Portugués Var. Esp.
Port. Cost
Fisterra
Inglés
Invierno
Norte
Sanabrés
Primitivo
One possible development is that there will be establishments in the area that will offer delivery meals. This has been the case in Outeiro, four kms up a fair-sized hill from Ponte Ulla on the Sanabrés/Vdlp.

There are places in the area that serve food, and I wonder if there’s a chance that the mesón overlooking the horseshoe bend of the Miño (@Charrito remind me of its name) would offer pick up and drop off service so peregrinos could spend an evening out on a terrace overlooking one of the most beautiful spots of the Miño River. Ahh, the possibilities......

In thinking about possible establishments for food delivery, I thought of the Torre Vilariño and remembered that they had a serious fire back in January. I see the website is up and running, but I wonder if anyone knows what is going on there and how their rebuilding effort is going. What a great place, I really hope they survive the double whammy of a fire and covid.
Are you referring to Cabo do Mundo?
1605348296586.png

Last edited:

peregrina2000

Staff member
No, it was up above, lower than the overgrown mirador. I thought it was you who told me, but maybe it was @Ribeirasacra. Based on the location, it must be the Adega Moure, but it surely looked to me like it had a full blown restaurant operation going on, just judging by the tables, etc. And there was a lot of construction that seemed to be increasing the size of the terrace.

@Charrito, is the Cabo do Mundo a restaurant?

@VNwalking, if you are not too glued to the Lana thread, can you remember anything about the restaurant/mesón/adega we passed on that loop?

Charrito

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés
Portugués
Portugués Var. Esp.
Port. Cost
Fisterra
Inglés
Invierno
Norte
Sanabrés
Primitivo
No, it was up above, lower than the overgrown mirador. I thought it was you who told me, but maybe it was @Ribeirasacra. Based on the location, it must be the Adega Moure, but it surely looked to me like it had a full blown restaurant operation going on, just judging by the tables, etc. And there was a lot of construction that seemed to be increasing the size of the terrace.

@Charrito, is the Cabo do Mundo a restaurant?

@VNwalking, if you are not too glued to the Lana thread, can you remember anything about the restaurant/mesón/adega we passed on that loop?
I'm not really sure what you are trying to say about these places, Laurie. Unless you've stayed the previous night in Torre Vilariño they are quite a long way from Diomondi.

The restaurant/bar at the bottom by the river at Cabo do Mundo is the Playa Fluvial A Cova Restaurante. Up in the hills, the other place, near the mirador, is the Abadía da Cova, a winery (Adega Moure) with a lovely terrace.

The Adega Via Romana, on the walk up after Belesar, also has beautiful views, but if you want a meal I would recommend the Mesón e Adega O Veiga, a hundred yards further up, on the other side of the road.

The bar down in Belesar is under new management and we had a lovely meal there a few months ago after the two hour cruise down the river.

peregrina2000

Staff member
I'm not really sure what you are trying to say about these places, Laurie.

My not so clear point was that there are restaurants in the vicinity for which it would be a 10-15 minute drive to do delivery to Diomondi. That has happened in Outeiro on the Sanabrés, so if the albergue took off, I would expect that to happen in Diomondi too.

And btw, when you were in Belesar recently, you didn’t happen to see or hear anything about the Torre Vilariño‘s rebuilding post-fire, did you?

Charrito

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés
Portugués
Portugués Var. Esp.
Port. Cost
Fisterra
Inglés
Invierno
Norte
Sanabrés
Primitivo
My not so clear point was that there are restaurants in the vicinity for which it would be a 10-15 minute drive to do delivery to Diomondi. That has happened in Outeiro on the Sanabrés, so if the albergue took off, I would expect that to happen in Diomondi too.

And btw, when you were in Belesar recently, you didn’t happen to see or hear anything about the Torre Vilariño‘s rebuilding post-fire, did you?
OK.

It would be easier to get meals delivered from Escairón, just 7 kms away. As you know, it’s one of my ‘alternative’ routes between Monforte and Diomondi/Belesar.

No news about the repair work at Torre Vilariño, but there was a lot to do after the fire.

peregrina2000

Staff member
It would be easier to get meals delivered from Escairón, just 7 kms away.

Oh, of course, Escairón. I’ll bet you’re right that that is the most likely place. Great suggestion, @Charrito. I think I remember that you had a pretty good meal there, too!

Googlemaps shows several restaurants in town. I know, I know, I am getting way ahead of myself, but I’ll bet that the hungry peregrin@ will be able to get something to eat once that albergue opens.

But one more question for you, @Charrito — google maps says Vilasante (which takes me back to the Olvidado and Vilasante de Mena), so I am wondering if that is the municipality and Escairón is a town inside it. Galician place names are very confusing.

Mesón A Maruxa

Restaurante Avenida

Restaurante Campeliños

Restaurante Durán

Charrito

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés
Portugués
Portugués Var. Esp.
Port. Cost
Fisterra
Inglés
Invierno
Norte
Sanabrés
Primitivo
Oh, of course, Escairón. I’ll bet you’re right that that is the most likely place. Great suggestion, @Charrito. I think I remember that you had a pretty good meal there, too!

Googlemaps shows several restaurants in town. I know, I know, I am getting way ahead of myself, but I’ll bet that the hungry peregrin@ will be able to get something to eat once that albergue opens.

But one more question for you, @Charrito — google maps says Vilasante (which takes me back to the Olvidado and Vilasante de Mena), so I am wondering if that is the municipality and Escairón is a town inside it. Galician place names are very confusing.

Mesón A Maruxa

Restaurante Avenida

Restaurante Campeliños

Restaurante Durán
You’re right about Vilasante/Escairón.

Mesón A Maruxa is/would be the best bet. They also have rooms, and you have Hotel O Ruso.

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 57 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 202 15.2%
  • May