• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New albergue in Lires

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If anyone is planning to cut the 30kms stretch from Muxia to Fisterra (or vice versa) into two days walk now there's a budget option for overnight stay in Lires. One month ago Pension "As Eiras" opened albergue with 22 places at 12€/night:
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-as-eiras

Ultreia!

Great news, Kinky, because I think there are a lot of people who would like to break up this stage. Speaking of Lires, one of my favorite stops on any camino is to take the little detour from the "center" of Lires out to the beach. There is a very nice cafe there, and it's open 7 days a week during prime season. There are turn-offs both before and after it from the Camino between Finisterre and Muxia, which means you don't have to backtrack if you go out there. It adds a little more to the distance, but the walk from Lires beach back to the Camino goes along the coast and has some beautiful views of the water, which are in very short supply on the walk between Fisterre and Muxia.

Great news, Kinky, because I think there are a lot of people who would like to break up this stage. Speaking of Lires, one of my favorite stops on any camino is to take the little detour from the "center" of Lires out to the beach. There is a very nice cafe there, and it's open 7 days a week during prime season. There are turn-offs both before and after it from the Camino between Finisterre and Muxia, which means you don't have to backtrack if you go out there. It adds a little more to the distance, but the walk from Lires beach back to the Camino goes along the coast and has some beautiful views of the water, which are in very short supply on the walk between Fisterre and Muxia.
Haven't walked that leg myself but I sure hope to do it this year. For me approaching either Muxia or (Cee, Corcubion) Fisterra means kind of a slowing/shutting down everything that happened in a month before and this intermediate stop is so welcome. I really hope to have enough time to enjoy it in contemplative mode :)
I also remember last year reading some old posts that Pension As Eiras prepare quite good food. As there isn't any tienda that's very welcome also. But I doubt it can be compared to Los Tres Golpes in Fisterra...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I stayed in Lires overnight last fall. I had a lovely night at Casa Raul, my first "casa rural" stay. The couple were lovely and I had breakfast there with two young
Spanish guys on motorcycles! casa raul.jpg

If anyone is planning to cut the 30kms stretch from Muxia to Fisterra (or vice versa) into two days walk now there's a budget option for overnight stay in Lires. One month ago Pension "As Eiras" opened albergue with 22 places at 12€/night:

Ultreia!

Haven't walked that leg myself but I sure hope to do it this year. For me approaching either Muxia or (Cee, Corcubion) Fisterra means kind of a slowing/shutting down everything that happened in a month before and this intermediate stop is so welcome. I really hope to have enough time to enjoy it in contemplative mode :)
I also remember last year reading some old posts that Pension As Eiras prepare quite good food. As there isn't any tienda that's very welcome also. But I doubt it can be compared to Los Tres Golpes in Fisterra...

Thanks @KinkyOne and @peregrina2000 for this information- we plan to stay in Lires in a few weeks time. Good to know that it's a nice place.

Ultreia!

It’s really nice. I stayed here in November 2013, having found it in the dark with the help of Brierley’s guide. They had one large room then with bunk beds for pilgrims. A lovely family, and the food was good too. Jill

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It’s really nice. I stayed here in November 2013, having found it in the dark with the help of Brierley’s guide. They had one large room then with bunk beds for pilgrims. A lovely family, and the food was good too. Jill
There was albergue two years ago??? Last year when planning to walk that stretch I couldn't find anything about it. I could only found approx.40€/single in Pension As Eiras. That was all that was advertised either on sites like Eroski, Gronze etc. or Booking. Was this dormitory like an overflow space at that time? Because the above link has info the new construccion opened a month ago...

There was albergue two years ago??? Last year when planning to walk that stretch I couldn't find anything about it. I could only found approx.40€/single in Pension As Eiras. That was all that was advertised either on sites like Eroski, Gronze etc. or Booking. Was this dormitory like an overflow space at that time? Because the above link has info the new construccion opened a month ago...

Hi, yes it was there 2 years ago. From Brierley’s Camino Finisterre:

“At the crossroads the waymarked route veers left. Option: If you need refreshments turn right for café/bar 100 metres and pension As Eiras P* (981-748 180) with 10 rooms (special pilgrim price).”

It was dark by the time I walked up the hill to the crossroads, and I had no idea if the pension would be open in November (25 Nov 2013 to be exact). It was such a relief to see the lights were on. (Thank you John Brierley!) I asked if they had a pilgrim rate, and they put me in the one dorm, which I had all to myself with private bathroom. It was wonderful! I was so happy that evening sitting in the bar/restaurant with all the local families, and I had a fabulous meal. Jill

Hi, yes it was there 2 years ago. From Brierley’s Camino Finisterre:

“At the crossroads the waymarked route veers left. Option: If you need refreshments turn right for café/bar 100 metres and pension As Eiras P* (981-748 180) with 10 rooms (special pilgrim price).”

It was dark by the time I walked up the hill to the crossroads, and I had no idea if the pension would be open in November (25 Nov 2013 to be exact). It was such a relief to see the lights were on. (Thank you John Brierley!) I asked if they had a pilgrim rate, and they put me in the one dorm, which I had all to myself with private bathroom. It was wonderful! I was so happy that evening sitting in the bar/restaurant with all the local families, and I had a fabulous meal. Jill
I see.
But still there's some blank spots. 10 rooms (not beds in dormitory!) available with special pilgrim prices mentioned by JB. Also on web sites were advertised only rooms. That's why I'm so surprised now, it seems like at least two years there were bunk beds available in dormitory and only a few people (only upon their stay there) knew about that ;)

Thanks for posting!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I remember Lires and As Eiras with real affection. The Beloved and I stayed in a "room" but there was mention, in 2012, of "bunks". We grasped the opportunity of a little privacy but I'm sure the bunk-room was available just not promoted. Maybe they used to wait till all the rooms were full.

If you stop in Lires and are tempted by @peregrina2000's beach recommendations be sure to only swim where the locals swim or take advice in the bar. There are some vicious currents.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I remember Lires and As Eiras with real affection. The Beloved and I stayed in a "room" but there was mention, in 2012, of "bunks". We grasped the opportunity of a little privacy but I'm sure the bunk-room was available just not promoted. Maybe they used to wait till all the rooms were full.

If you stop in Lires and are tempted by @peregrina2000's beach recommendations be sure to only swim where the locals swim or take advice in the bar. There are some vicious currents.
I guess their dormitory was kind of "in a shade" until of this year when they built or renovated new place with bunkbeds and "reported" them. Anyway, it would be a nice place to spend an afternoon and evening in some quietness.

As for currents and swimming areas people aren't familiar with I agree completely. I used to train swimming for 9 years in my early youth and still am a very good/fast swimmer but also very cautious of the seas/lakes/rivers I don't know well. Very usefull remark!!!

Great news, Kinky, because I think there are a lot of people who would like to break up this stage. Speaking of Lires, one of my favorite stops on any camino is to take the little detour from the "center" of Lires out to the beach. There is a very nice cafe there, and it's open 7 days a week during prime season. There are turn-offs both before and after it from the Camino between Finisterre and Muxia, which means you don't have to backtrack if you go out there. It adds a little more to the distance, but the walk from Lires beach back to the Camino goes along the coast and has some beautiful views of the water, which are in very shorsvatch

Ultreia!
Stayed here beginning June....lovely walk to coast and watch out for the fish in tidal estuary.....never seen so many.....also watching sunset was fun .....with lovely full moon to guide us back.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Stayed here beginning June....lovely walk to coast and watch out for the fish in tidal estuary.....never seen so many.....also watching sunset was fun .....with lovely full moon to guide us back.
We stayed there a few days ago and we also saw the fish. There were so many of them!
The beach is so beautiful - probably the best reason for stopping in this little place.

Attachments

• IMG_4497.JPG
    IMG_4497.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 7

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back