• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New albergue in Santander

peregrina2000

Staff member
Plans have been announced for the construction of a new albergue in Santander. The government will pay for the construction, and the church will manage it.

Location is Calle Limón, 7, very close to the cathedral. 48 beds! Construction will begin this summer, after an older building, owned by the church, is demolished.

Any time I post something about the city of Santander, I can’t help but encourage pilgrims to try the beautiful, but longer coastal route. Lots of forum discussion of this alternative. Some walk all the way to Boo in one day, some take a bus to a good starting point, cutting off 5 or 6 km of city walking, and some stop in a casa rural that will let you break it up. I’ve never heard anyone rave about the day out of Santander on the official route, and I have never heard anyone NOT rave about the route along the coast.

Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Plans have been announced for the construction of a new albergue in Santander. The government will pay for the construction, and the church will manage it.

Location is Calle Limón, 7, very close to the cathedral. 48 beds! Construction will begin this summer, after an older building, owned by the church, is demolished.

Any time I post something about the city of Santander, I can’t help but encourage pilgrims to try the beautiful, but longer coastal route. Lots of forum discussion of this alternative. Some walk all the way to Boo in one day, some take a bus to a good starting point, cutting off 5 or 6 km of city walking, and some stop in a casa rural that will let you break it up. I’ve never heard anyone rave about the day out of Santander on the official route, and I have never heard anyone NOT rave about the route along the coast.

Buen camino, Laurie
Muchas Gracias Laurie. Santander itself is beautiful and a great base to spend a day.
Maggie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie - I plan to start a 2-week walk on del Norte in mid-September, starting in Santander. I will walk the coastal route and most likely stay at the casa rural in Soto de la Marina (I will be doing approximately 15 km days at that point). What is the food situation in that 33 km section between Santander and Boo? Are there other lodging options in that section? Thanks, Tim

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Buen camino, Laurie
Happy to read!! Much needed improvement! The last time was low season so was not soo bad but I would not stay there again!!

Laurie - I plan to start a 2-week walk on del Norte in mid-September, starting in Santander. I will walk the coastal route and most likely stay at the casa rural in Soto de la Marina (I will be doing approximately 15 km days at that point). What is the food situation in that 33 km section between Santander and Boo? Are there other lodging options in that section? Thanks, Tim
I walked the coast out of Santander and stopped a little farther in Liencres, where I stayed at a hotel called Calad de Liencres. My Wikiloc tracks said that it was about 27 km for that day. The following day to Santillana del Mar was also about 27km. There were a couple of places to stop to eat along the way to Liencres.

I posted on a couple of threads at the time.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.