• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Albergue in Zegama

ginniek

Time of past OR future Camino
frances 2017
I was reading this week's Dezeen Newsletter (about architecture and interior design). This is on the Tunnel Route between Irun and Santo Domingo de la Calzada. It was purpose-built by the municipality, and the article does not mention any of the usual important things about albergues, such as snoring, clothes-washing, adequate hot water for showers, but it does tell you about building materials.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
ginniek,

Those photos of the new building look great and the surrounding landscape is splendid.
Zegama is found in Etapa 4 in the Gronze Camino Vasco del Interior. However the new building as such is not cited (yet ?) in their guide.

Last edited:
ginniek,

Those photos of the new building look great and the surrounding landscape is splendid.
Zegama is found in Etapa 4 in the Gronze Camino Vasco del Interior. However the new building as such is not cited (yet ?) in their guide.
The albergue may not be open yet. Often design reviews are done before the building is occupied or in use, which means you cannot see how it works in real life.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Municipal Council of Zegama. I was very grateful for the old porta-cabin arrangement but it was somewhat 'bemusing'.
I do hope that the criteria below allowed you to situate this architectural wonder fairly close to the camino!
There's no kitchen so if you walk there to secure your bed, you then have to go back into town again if you want a proper meal etc (as there's obviously no kitchen - no municipality would build one these days).
The brief from the town's municipal administration laid out two specific criteria that the hostel building needed to fulfil.
The building had to be Passivhaus certified as a guarantee of the city council's commitment to sustainability and the quality of municipal investments," said the architects.
"Also, the hostel was to be located on a plot of land next to the local Wood Museum, so it had to be built with locally sourced radiata pine wood."

Thank you Municipal Council of Zegama. I was very grateful for the old porta-cabin arrangement but it was somewhat 'bemusing'.
I do hope that the criteria below allowed you to situate this architectural wonder fairly close to the camino!
There's no kitchen so if you walk there to secure your bed, you then have to go back into town again if you want a proper meal etc (as there's obviously no kitchen - no municipality would build one these days).
The brief from the town's municipal administration laid out two specific criteria that the hostel building needed to fulfil.
The building had to be Passivhaus certified as a guarantee of the city council's commitment to sustainability and the quality of municipal investments," said the architects.
"Also, the hostel was to be located on a plot of land next to the local Wood Museum, so it had to be built with locally sourced radiata pine wood."
The floor plan, which follows the article, shows a kitchen (cocina) on the ground floor. It doesn't look very large, but it is probably adequate for 6 people.

So I looked at the photo set...do they know that chipboard is extremely snag-y? And that if one splashes water on it, the stuff expands and loses strength? (I once had a laminate kitchen counter based on a chipboard base, water crept in at the corners and the expansion pushed the layers of laminate apart.) The storage shelves in the dorms being made of un-covered chipboard--no laminate as one sees in prefab shelf kits--I shudder to think of what would happen to them on a rainy day when pilgrims come in, drenched, and have to put their things down.

I was interested to see what appears to be a front loading washer in the kitchen next to the sink. Also that there appear to be some kind of inaccessible storage cupboards in the upper part of the wall at the one story end of the building. Water heater closets? They are basically above the two (full, not half) restrooms.

edited to add: full restrooms have either a tub or a shower, half don't.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The floor plan, which follows the article, shows a kitchen (cocina) on the ground floor. It doesn't look very large, but it is probably adequate for 6 people.
ginniek - it depends what you mean by a kitchen. This one comprises a sink, some cupboards, a microwave and a fixed table with two chairs. So indeed, it can be differentiated as such from a bathroom, a hall space or a dormitory. But it's not going to be the place where pilgrims sit around a bid old table and share out a steaming pot of pasta and sauce. Maybe I'm showing my age..
Oh do tell! I thought the only option in Zegama was the pension on top of the somewhat foodie restaurant.
The main issue about the old place was that the top bunks were so high nobody could work out how to get onto them, as there were no ladders. In the end we took the mattresses down and laid them on the floor. The kitchen was well, a kitchen.
Just looking at the pic again reminded me of the amazing location of this little town

Attachments

• Zegama old albergue.jpg
    Zegama old albergue.jpg
    853.9 KB · Views: 36
I was interested to see what appears to be a front loading washer in the kitchen next to the sink. Also that there appear to be some kind of inaccessible storage cupboards in the upper part of the wall at the one story end of the building. Water heater closets?
If like most places in Iberia, the hot water heaters are "on-demand" gas heaters, and yes, they are typically stowed in upper-wall cupboards because they have to have outside venting for the exhaust from the gas flame. When we had a new one installed, in small-town Portugal, the gas company was very very picky about how the exhaust was vented from it; measured the components of the exhaust fumes and made the installer fine-tune the installation. Otherwise, I guess it can be a safety hazard from carbon monoxide, or similar.

As for the front-loading washer under the counter next to the sink: also a standard installation. Not many dishwashers in Iberia! The washers are small and very high-efficiency, and spin the clothes really well, so their drainage can tap into the under-the-sink drains. And they're designed to be just the right size to fit under counters.

I wish I could get a washer like this in North America! We have one in Portugal, and it's terrific. (An LG. The same kind exists here, but it's about 60% larger in every dimension. We seem to like to supersize everything.)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I thought the only option in Zegama was the pension on top of the somewhat foodie restauran

The main issue about the old place was that the top bunks were so high
I think Peregrina2000 is referring to the Ostatu Zegama, which has private rooms and no bunks. The only option in October 2019 was the polideportivo. Gronze refers to an albergue that was closed as of 2018, so I guess that is the "old place."

Looking forward to learning when the new place is open and functioning!

Is there any news on the opening of this Albergue? It isn't listed on Gronz. We are planning to walk the Vasco starting mid-May. I wonder if it will be open by then. LizB

Is there any news on the opening of this Albergue? It isn't listed on Gronz. We are planning to walk the Vasco starting mid-May. I wonder if it will be open by then. LizB
I am planning to walk the Vasco this April so contacted the town hall in Zegama about the new Albergue. The reply was that right now the Basque Government has an order that all Albergues are closed in the region due to Covid. So they cannot open until that order is lifted.

No date as of yet but they suggested contacting them closer to the time. I'll post here if I get any more updates on when Albergues on this route might re-open.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
OMG, it's gorgeous.
Quite a leap up in quality from the floor of the polideportivo - @SabineP and I passed up the opportunity of that in favor of a comfortable room at the Ostatu Zegama. This photo from the article makes me want to walk this way again. Sigh.
1643797073166.png
I hope it is open when you walk through there, @ebrandt, but if not the Ostatu Zegama is central and quite nice.

Edit. Looking at the photos, it appears that it's been built upslope of the center of town, quickly accessible by a lift and walkway - or a much longer walk on a road. We went up there for the view, which was very nice.

Here are the view of town from the glassed in elevator, the walkway, and the area that the new albergue seems now to be (the building on the left is in one of the photos in that link):
20190520_171756.jpg 20190520_171821.jpg 20190520_172830.jpg

Last edited:
Even if the albergue is not open, the pensión there is perfectly fine and not too expensive. AND do not miss the restaurant of which the pensión is a part!

I am not a foodie, but I can say with a fair amount of confidence that this restaurant would be enjoyed by some of our more serious foodie forum members like @SabineP and @alansykes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was just checking for updates on Albergues in the Basque Country and noted this on the Gronze website. They've updated the Zegama Albergue to the new one but looks like it won't open until 1st June and just open in the summer months:

Nota 2022: Apertura prevista del 1 de junio al 30 de septiembre (por confirmar)

Oh this is a little sad but thanks for the info! I think that means we will be heading to the pension in Zegama when we are there in May. L

May 1 is a holiday. I see it’s a Sunday. Not as bad as if it were on Saturday, but I think I would reserve in the pensión. AND reserve a meal there as well, it was fantastic!
I realized that! So it’s already reserved. But I’ll also reserve the meal! We leave here on 23 April. 53 days from now — not that I’m counting!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
One of my all-time favourite days on any Camino.
What a glorious walk that was!!!!!
Wasn't it wonderful?!
One thing to say by way of encouragement. From where the albergue is, the hill looks really daunting. And if you got to Irun on the train from parts South, you will have seen its steepness, and by now be doubting your sanity. But don't worry. Someone built this road for normal people and pack animals. So it is a climb but just a steady one, and less dramatic than it looks. I was spooked about the day ahead of time, but was pleasantly surprised at how manageable it was.

One thing that was an amazement was the dramatic change in landscape from one side to the other. It felt like landing in a different country!

One thing that was an amazement was the dramatic change in landscape from one side to the other. It felt like landing in a different country!
There were three parts for me - the climb to the top, the traverse of the valley and tunnel, and then the other side! In this photo, I had just emerged from the climb and could see my daughters ahead, gazing out at the view. I haven't posted a photo of that view because my photos simply don't do it justice. You will need to walk there to see and appreciate it.

Attachments

• 20191010_112233.jpg
    20191010_112233.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 19
This is a gorgeous photo, @C clearly.
That view! It stopped me in my tracks, too, even though the clouds were hiding the tops.
Not only do photos not do it justice, but who wants to ruin the experience with a spoiler?
Just you wait, @ebrandt! 👀!

Last edited:
I'm so excited I just had to share this somewhere! It looks like I'll be volunteering as Hospitalera in this new albergue for 5-6 days towards the end of July this year! The opportunity came about in a round about way (was emailing the association for another matter) but I'm already so excited! Thank you @peregrina2000 for sharing the contact information on another thread...it had nothing to do with such an opportunity but it led to it :)

So later this summer I should be in a good position to help with any questions about the albergue and/or this area!

Most read last week in this forum

I have just been speaking with Javier this morning. Very kind and helpful hospitalero. He showed me the albergue and we chatted for a while. As I just said, it's just opened from 11th march until...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back