• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Albergues/Hostels 2014

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
Hi everyone,

I've started compiling new albergues and hostels that have opened on the Norte over the last 8-10 months (or that I somehow missed previously!). If you have the 2013 printing of Northern Caminos, note that these are not included:

Accommodations - Norte
  • San Sebastián: Roger's House, 18-20 euros low season, spikes to 40 euros from July to November, c/Juan de Bilbao 13, 943 433 856
  • Mutriku (just past Ermita del Calvario, between Deba and Markina): Izarbide Aterpetxea, 32 beds, 12 euros, meals available
  • Gernika: Refugio de Peregrinos, 35 beds, Donativo, AUGUST ONLY, 687 529 627, Zeharreta 11 (in the Colegio Allende Salazar)
  • Bilbao: This city has had an explosion of new youth hostels over the last few years--Ganbara, Moon, BBK, Bilbao Central, etc. Lots of options if you want to stay near the center at a decent price
  • Santa Cruz de Bezana: Albergue Nimon, 10 beds, 12 euros (inc. breakfast), Kitchen, 635 451 714, c/Ramón Ramírez 2 (keys from Cafeteria Nimon)
  • Requejada: Albergue de Peregrinos Clara Campoamor, 12 beds, 5 euros, 622 429 766 (keys from Bar El Puerto)
  • Cóbreces: Albergue El Pino, 12 beds, 15 euros, open April-October, Kitchen, 620 437 962, c/El Pino 1
  • Serdio's albergue has reopened! 16 beds, 5 euros, 619 044 026
  • Tornón (3km Before Villaviciosa): Albergue La Llamarga, 8 beds, Donativo, Communal dinner and breakfast, 985 892 501
  • Muros de Nalón: Albergue Turístico Casa Carmina, 20 beds, 16 euros (bunks), 30-45 euros (private rooms), Kitchen, 985 583 137, Avda de Riego 21-23
  • Cadavedo: Casa de Peregrinos Covi y Peter, Donativo, 10 beds, 660 147 482, Barrio Las Corradas 7
Accommodations - Primitivo
  • La Espina: Albergue El Texu, 16 beds, Donativo, Kitchen, Plaza de la Iglesia 6
  • A Fonsagrada: Albergue Os Chaos, 24 beds, 10 euros, Kitchen, 660 011 716, c/Marmoiral 26
We'll be submitting updates to the book for our third printing in June, so if anybody out there has news from the road, please let me know!

Thanks,
Dave

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Dave it looks like you have given these ways the regularly updated English guide that was needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Dave,have noted. Can't wait to start.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Dave,
I just ordered this book, most likely a 2013 print. Do you have a later revision?
Thanks for the updates.
Btw, the camino Francis there were few luggage transport companies. Have you noticed any similar services along the Norte/primitivo? Thanks

Thanks Mike and Camino07--I really appreciate it

Thanks for ordering the book, Raj! I hope you find it useful. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or updates--it would be really helpful for us. The 2013 version is the most current, with revisions having been submitted in September, immediately after we walked the Norte/Primitivo once again.

For luggage transfers, I'd suggest Le Petit Bag and Peregrine Express on the Norte and TaxiCamino on the Primitivo.

Dave

Thanks Mike and Camino07--I really appreciate it

Thanks for ordering the book, Raj! I hope you find it useful. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or updates--it would be really helpful for us. The 2013 version is the most current, with revisions having been submitted in September, immediately after we walked the Norte/Primitivo once again.

For luggage transfers, I'd suggest Le Petit Bag and Peregrine Express on the Norte and TaxiCamino on the Primitivo.

Dave
Thanks Dave, great to know the existent of luggage transport services also on Norte/primitivo. This is going to make my walk more enjoyable.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dave two I wanted to share
El Pito now how an auberge!
It is 15 Euro and is affiliated with the hotel that is right before the church at the end of town.
the hotel began with an A I think...but I do not remember its name...
It was WONDERFUL, and I was there in its first few nights of being open.
White fluffy duvet, huge circle shower heads, I think 6 or 8 beds to a room and I think they only had two rooms.
You check in right before that church at the hotel.

Also: This would be an option for those who trek off the true Camino for the 2km it takes to get to Cudillerio...so glad I went there!!!!!!
Its' a decline to get there but an incline to get back up, but I enjoyed it.
Would have stayed here if I could have BUT they are the ones who mentioned the above auberge when they were full.
In Cudillerio there is a lovely couple who owns a pension. I did not see their rooms as they were full but they invited me in and called the above referenced auberge to find me a place.
I took a picture of a bike out infront of it with it's information so reading info from there (on my blog too)
Pension River
20 euros
Habitaciones com bano , wifi, tv
c.Garcia de la concha 8
985590005 (a 300 metros)

My last auberge that I think you mention is new, donativo
Called O BISONTE de MAARIZ
it is 2 kms after Mondonedo
Owners name is Carmen and she does dinner and breafast
Special spot!
I gave it it's own thread with the information there
takes reservations
34 626766235
bisontemaariz@gmail.com
www.bisontemaariz.blogspot.com.es

I cannot speak highly enough of Izarbide Aterpetxea. It was clean, the owner and staff were extremely pleasant and accommodating, and the location was stunningly beautiful.

Hi everyone,

I've started compiling new albergues and hostels that have opened on the Norte over the last 8-10 months (or that I somehow missed previously!). If you have the 2013 printing of Northern Caminos, note that these are not included:

Accommodations - Norte
  • San Sebastián: Roger's House, 18-20 euros low season, spikes to 40 euros from July to November, c/Juan de Bilbao 13, 943 433 856
  • Mutriku (just past Ermita del Calvario, between Deba and Markina): Izarbide Aterpetxea, 32 beds, 12 euros, meals available
  • Gernika: Refugio de Peregrinos, 35 beds, Donativo, AUGUST ONLY, 687 529 627, Zeharreta 11 (in the Colegio Allende Salazar)
  • Bilbao: This city has had an explosion of new youth hostels over the last few years--Ganbara, Moon, BBK, Bilbao Central, etc. Lots of options if you want to stay near the center at a decent price
  • Santa Cruz de Bezana: Albergue Nimon, 10 beds, 12 euros (inc. breakfast), Kitchen, 635 451 714, c/Ramón Ramírez 2 (keys from Cafeteria Nimon)
  • Requejada: Albergue de Peregrinos Clara Campoamor, 12 beds, 5 euros, 622 429 766 (keys from Bar El Puerto)
  • Cóbreces: Albergue El Pino, 12 beds, 15 euros, open April-October, Kitchen, 620 437 962, c/El Pino 1
  • Tornón (3km Before Villaviciosa): Albergue La Llamarga, 8 beds, Donativo, Communal dinner and breakfast, 985 892 501
  • Muros de Nalón: Albergue Turístico Casa Carmina, 20 beds, 16 euros (bunks), 30-45 euros (private rooms), Kitchen, 985 583 137, Avda de Riego 21-23
  • Cadavedo: Casa de Peregrinos Covi y Peter, Donativo, 10 beds, 660 147 482, Barrio Las Corradas 7
  • La Espina: Albergue El Texu, 16 beds, Donativo, Kitchen, Plaza de la Iglesia 6
  • A Fonsagrada: Albergue Os Chaos, 24 beds, 10 euros, Kitchen, 660 011 716, c/Marmoiral 26
We'll be submitting updates to the book for our third printing in June, so if anybody out there has news from the road, please let me know!

Thanks,
Dave

Hi everyone,

Accommodations - Norte

Thanks,
Dave

The two mentioned on the Primitivo have received VERY good reports in Eroski Consumer.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.